Kindle Fire HD 7" eMMC access

Search This thread

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Hi all, following on from kurohyou's excellent work on the KF2, I thought I would go about trying to develop a tutorial for unbricking a hardbricked Kindle Fire HD 7". This would be for the 2012 model, NOT the 2013.

A little bit of background on myself. I have always had a keen interest in electronics and studied microelectronics at college. I am pretty good at soldering etc even on small SMD devices, even more so now I have spent out on some decent kit (helping hands, rework station etc). Now I have decided to carry out this project as a summer hobby and hopefully I will get some support from you guys.

I have managed to piece together enough information that I think will enable me to complete this tutorial, with the exception of Linux, something that I am very new to and would need some assistance with.

I have seen common names among the forums when it comes to this type of subject, stunts513, soupmagnet, hashcode to name a few. I am hoping with the assistance of these members I can complete a comprehensive guide on unbricking a Kindle Fire HD 7", similar to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415870

But please beware, IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A KINDLE FIRE HD 7" DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE!!

My main goal is to acquire a dead Kindle Fire HD 7" motherboard, as easily as possible. Unfortunately looking on eBay there seem to be very few from the UK and they are normally very expensive. I will keep looking but if anyone is willing to donate a non working or working motherboard for this cause I would be very grateful, just PM me if you can help. Just bear in mind due to the process it needs to go through, you will not get a working motherboard back, should you want it returned.

I aim to completely remove the eMMC from the motherboard and get exact pinout locations, as kurohyou did with his excellent KF2 guide. I will then use the same USB SD Card adaptor to see if the eMMC can even be read in the same way as the KF2. I have working knowledge of GParted in linux so I will also be using this to verify partition layouts and sizes. Once I have had any success in doing this I will update this post to reflect my progress.

There is my plan so far, if this has already been done, someone please tell me as I cannot find it anywhere.

Last edited:

SafinWasi

Dec 15, 2013
Unknown
Hi all, following on from kurohyou's excellent work on the KF2, I thought I would go about trying to develop a tutorial for unbricking a hardbricked Kindle Fire HD 7". This would be for the 2012 model, NOT the 2013.

A little bit of background on myself. I have always had a keen interest in electronics and studied microelectronics at college. I am pretty good at soldering etc even on small SMD devices, even more so now I have spent out on some decent kit (helping hands, rework station etc). Now I have decided to carry out this project as a summer hobby and hopefully I will get some support from you guys.

I have managed to piece together enough information that I think will enable me to complete this tutorial, with the exception of Linux, something that I am very new to and would need some assistance with.

I have seen common names among the forums when it comes to this type of subject, stunts513, soupmagnet, hashcode to name a few. I am hoping with the assistance of these members I can complete a comprehensive guide on unbricking a Kindle Fire HD 7", similar to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415870

But please beware, IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A KINDLE FIRE HD 7" DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE!!

My main goal is to acquire a dead Kindle Fire HD 7" motherboard, as easily as possible. Unfortunately looking on eBay there seem to be very few from the UK and they are normally very expensive. I will keep looking but if anyone is willing to donate a non working or working motherboard for this cause I would be very grateful, just PM me if you can help. Just bear in mind due to the process it needs to go through, you will not get a working motherboard back, should you want it returned.

I aim to completely remove the eMMC from the motherboard and get exact pinout locations, as kurohyou did with his excellent KF2 guide. I will then use the same USB SD Card adaptor to see if the eMMC can even be read in the same way as the KF2. I have working knowledge of GParted in linux so I will also be using this to verify partition layouts and sizes. Once I have had any success in doing this I will update this post to reflect my progress.

There is my plan so far, if this has already been done, someone please tell me as I cannot find it anywhere.

Great job,will be useful to a lot of people if successful. And as for the support,we're all here to help ya:D
A lot of people spend time tinkering with Linux partitions,so getting support won't be as difficult as getting a dead motherboard,which is what worries me now. I would suggest you to buy a Fire HD,root it and leave the rest to your imagination (I would try to flash a Galaxy S3 Kernel using Odin or something ;) )
Anyway,good luck!

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
I have managed to get myself a cheap Fire HD so just waiting for it to come in the post.As far as I can tell the Fire HD uses a very similar eMMC chip as the Fire 2 so I am hoping the partition structure is the same. If /dev/sdc2 is 256Kb and listed as bootloader then I think it should be straightforward to flash in the same way using the dd command.

Anyway, more updates to come :)

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Update - I have now got a motherboard from a Kindle Fire HD 7", will go ahead and solder USB adaptor in the next few days and see what happens - more details to follow.

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Ok, so I have opted to try and use a mini SD card adaptor for this project as it is very easy to kill a USB SD card adaptor if you get just one wiring point wrong, although this does have an increased risk of frying your USB port if you are VERY unlucky.

The SD card is wired like so -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zsrbevo97ifccj/SD%20Card%20wiring.JPG?dl=0

I drilled some very small holes close to the end of the mini SD internal connections to add stability to the wires. I used Valery_'s image to get the connection labels -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fur0gxy72lox6yb/SD%20Card%20pinout.jpg?dl=0

For the VCC and VccQ wires, because there are two paired together it was not going to be possible to fit them into the SD card adaptor so I made a fly lead off of the main VCC wire -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocmw7p2dgsp4ia6/VCC%20fly%20lead.JPG?dl=0

Next I will be attempting to solder each wire onto the KFHD7 motherboard.

All done. I haven't cut the tracks that have been indicated in this picture as my PC recognises the eMMC under Windows 8 -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lyumxvw5h7agx4/Fire%20HD%20Pinout%20with%20VDDI.jpg?dl=0

So here is the motherboard soldered up -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n30jpvbyhapoub7/Motherboard%20wiring%20KFHD7.JPG?dl=0

Update - after the eMMC was not recognised by Ubuntu I cut the 2 tracks in question, and still nothing. I am also now getting 0v from the card reader however the laptop still recognises SD cards inserted. I will acquire some more USB SD card adaptors and try again with those. More to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1982gmcP

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Ok, a little frustrating but after checking and rechecking the solder points on the motherboard they are definitely correct, however Vcc, VccQ and Vss are still casting some doubt in my mind, considering that the VccQ and Vss points are both sides of capacitor 801 (C801). I am not 100% convinced that Vcc, VccQ and Vss have other points on the board. Reading the eMMC specifics here there are lots of Vcc, Vss and VccQ. I am not totally sure if there is a definite one that needs connecting :(

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Ok, another post, sorry :)

Been doing some more research on the eMMC chip and I have found an official data sheet for the chip here

It seems that there are different pins for Vss and Vcc and I am wondering if this is causing the problem as I may be supplying power to the wrong part of the eMMC. Will see if R10 and T10 on the schematic lead to anywhere else and negate the need to cut the tracks, something which I still don't quite fully understand. Edit - R10 (Vss) does not seem to have a place on the board

As you can see from the following table it lists all the necessary locations for applying power to modify the eMMC -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7f299p492gf7qe/eMMC%20Pinout.jpg

VDDF is Vcc and VDD is VccQ .

I will check out these two pins later on and see where they lead on the board.

More to follow...

Last edited:

Valery_

Feb 18, 2014
Ok, a little frustrating but after checking and rechecking the solder points on the motherboard they are definitely correct, however Vcc, VccQ and Vss are still casting some doubt in my mind, considering that the VccQ and Vss points are both sides of capacitor 801 (C801). I am not 100% convinced that Vcc, VccQ and Vss have other points on the board. Reading the eMMC specifics here there are lots of Vcc, Vss and VccQ. I am not totally sure if there is a definite one that needs connecting :(

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2784284&d=1402079403
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2775022
good luck

Reactions: overlode

overlode

Jul 22, 2014

Ok, I have put your image side by side with your top image and colour coded the points (Just bear in mind the right hand image is a mirror image of the BGA). No matter how I look at it, everything is correct and all Vcc, VccQ and Vss points are interconnected so I do not see how it is not working. Can you explain to me the need for cutting the tracks in your original image and what the version 1 and version 2 mean please?

How have you got on with this? The closest I have been is Windows 8 detecting something but Ubuntu doesn't see anything.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: bogie6040

Valery_

Feb 18, 2014
Can you explain to me the need for cutting the tracks in your original image and what the version 1 and version 2 mean please?

Cutting the tracks had two goals: 1. to decrease power of supply from cardreader, 2. to protect the chips which are supplying 1.8 V
Additionally I used diode Schottky to decrease voltage to 1.6 V
There were impulses CMD and CLK, but there was a problem with signals Data0 - Data3. Level on these pinouts didn't change, was about 1 V
Supposedly the processor blocked Data0..3
I tried to connect cardreader with signal Reset on the motherboard, but there weren't Data0..3
So both in the case with 1.8 V and in the case with 3.3 V on the contact VccQ, there was a voltage about 1 V on Data0..3
I think there is a possibility of access to eMMC if OMAP is blocked and then it will make Data0..3 free (third output state Z)

Last edited:

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Cutting the tracks had two goals: 1. to decrease power of supply from cardreader, 2. to protect the chips which are supplying 1.8 V
Additionally I used diode Shotky to decrease voltage to 1.6 V
There were impulses CMD and CLK, but there was a problem with signals Data0 - Data3. Level on these pinouts didn't change, was about 1 V
Supposedly the processor blocked Data0..3
I tried to connect cardreader with signal Reset on the motherboard, but there weren't Data0..3
So both in the case with 1.8 V and in the case with 3.3 V on the contact VccQ, there was a voltage about 1 V on Data0..3
I think there is a possibility of access to eMMC if OMAP is blocked and then it will make Data0..3 free (third output state Z)

I can't understand why they changed it so radically just for the KFHD 7" as the eMMC on the KF2 and the KFHD 8.9" are both easily accessible. It seems weird how they would use the OMAP to block it just on this model. Looking at the datasheet, are we missing something with VDDI, there is a suggestion to ground it via a 0.1 micro farad capacitor. Any thoughts on this?

VDDi Connections
The VDDi (K2) ball must only be connected to an external capacitor that is connected to VSS. This signal may not be left floating. The capacitor’s specifications and its placement instructions are detailed below.
The capacitor is part of an internal voltage regulator that provides power to the controller.
Caution: Failure to follow the guidelines below, or connecting the VDDi ball to any external signal or power supply, may cause the device to malfunction.
The trace requirements for the VDDi (K2) ball to the capacitor are as follows:
• Resistance: <2 ohm
• Inductance: <5 nH
The capacitor requirements are as follows:
• Capacitance: >=0.1 uF
• Voltage Rating: >=6.3 V
• Dielectric: X7R or X5R

Thanks to RolF2 from this post

SanDisk iNAND has three power domains assigned to VCCQ, VCC and VDDi, as shown in Table
Table 10 - Power Domains
Pin Power Domain Comments
Supported voltage ranges:
High Voltage Region: 3.3V (nominal)
VCCQ Host Interface
Low Voltage Region: 1.8V (nominal)
VCC Memory Supported voltage range:
High Voltage Region: 3.3V (nominal)
VDDi Internal VDDi is the internal regulator connection to an
external decoupling capacitor.

Page 25+26 of this document explains it more. Looks like we may only need to ground VDDI with a 0.1uf capacitor. From what I can see on the motherboard all other connections already have capacitors grounding Vcc and VccQ.

Found the connection for VDDI -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzk11dywlmxzcmk/Fire%20HD%20Pinout%20with%20VDDI.jpg

Last edited:

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
I think that this will not resolve the problem. Connection of capacitor is strange. But this finding is a plus in the investigation.

The thing that confuses me is the fact that there are no other connections to the BGA array that come from a different source, all Vcc, VccQ and Vss connections are linked and already grounded with capacitors so you should be able to apply power to anywhere of these points. The fact that it is stated that this particular chip has 3 power domains, not 2 like the previous chips is encouraging.

As for your comment about the OMAP blocking access to the eMMC I don't think this is the case as the chip is used in a lot of nand flash technologies that do not have any OMAP device paired with them.

As soon as I get my next motherboard I am going to try the VDDI connection, it cannot do any harm as it controls internal voltage to the eMMC.

I will keep digging but I am pretty sure there is nothing more we have missed as I have been over the data sheet again and again.

Ok, I understand VDDI now, you don't need to touch this connection as it is used internally to regulate chip voltage. So back to the drawing board

Last edited:

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Ok, I am going to make a simple voltage regulator to go inline with my USB card reader to make sure input voltage to the eMMC is 3.3v as I suspect over voltage may be causing a malfunction within the internal voltage stabiliser circuit of the eMMC. It seems over voltage triggers complete shutdown of the eMMC using internal diodes so this may explain the 1v or less output from the DAT pins.

Valery_, if I make sure input voltage is 3.3v then that would dismiss the need to cut the tracks yes?

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Ok, I think this project has to be put on hold again. No matter what I try Ubuntu will not recognise the partitions of the eMMC even though the SD card adaptor flashes and then stops flashing as if being read properly. Connecting to VDDI fries your card reader instantly so do not try this!!

I just cannot see what we are missing and why this motherboard is so different from the KF2 yet not?

There has to be some way to gain access to the eMMC as the chip is so commonly used with other devices.

I will continue this project if I make any break through or if someone finds out something that we may be missing.

For the meantime I will continue with the KF2 unbricking as that is going rather well for me at the moment.

Last edited:

overlode

Jul 22, 2014
Maybe this information will be useful:
The MAX3002 accept VL voltages from +1.2V to +5.5V and VCC voltages from +1.65V to +5.5V, making them ideal for data transfer between low-voltage ASICs/PLDs and higher voltage systems.

Isn't this just what we have been supplying though? My simple voltage regulator supplied 3.3v

kero2005

Dec 3, 2014
picture not load

Ok, so I have opted to try and use a mini SD card adaptor for this project as it is very easy to kill a USB SD card adaptor if you get just one wiring point wrong, although this does have an increased risk of frying your USB port if you are VERY unlucky.

Update - after the eMMC was not recognised by Ubuntu I cut the 2 tracks in question, and still nothing. I am also now getting 0v from the card reader however the laptop still recognises SD cards inserted. I will acquire some more USB SD card adaptors and try again with those. More to follow.

can you fix those picture? . it was prolem with dropbox :eek:
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PART 2

Prerequisites:
    Ubuntu or other linux distro with gparted utility access
    7.2.3 bootloader file from here: SEARCH FOR TOPIC # 2128848 by hashcode (Step 2 item 6)

Now that you have it all soldered up it should look something like this....
    View attachment 3544917
    Note that I put some tape over the wires on the board and on the SD card adapter, this is for stress relief - you don't want your wires breaking off or worse, a surface mount pad ripped off the board...

Now plug the micro SD card adapter into your USB SD card reader and connect it to your Ubuntu Linux computer, preferably with a USB extension cable.
    DO NOT try to power up the board with another power source, ie additional USB cable, etc. The card reader is all you need.
    View attachment 3544918
    Ubuntu should see the eMMC chip and you should have 13 separate partitions, if you can't see it make sure your linux has mounted it. If you have run the lsusb command and still don't see a new device then disconnect it and double check your soldering / wiring work.

Open up gparted and change to the device representing the eMMC we just soldered to, you need to write down the device name (sdb, sdc, sdd, etc.) take a look at the partition table - mine had 13, I'm assuming that you need at least 1 and 2 for the kindle to do anything and I'm guessing that partition 1 never gets touched by the erroneous procedure ie: flashing files intended for KF2 or others (which is what got you in this situation in the first place)
    Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on kindle partitions and their theory of operation will chime in on this note...
    In any case you can look here: SEARCH FOR TOPIC # 1919556 by timmytim for what the partition table should look like - that is how mine looked...
    Now exit out of gparted.

If all appears ok with the partition table copy the file from the prerequisites list and place it in your home folder on Ubuntu (or the folder your terminal program defaults to) Now open up a terminal window and type in the following:
    sudo dd bs=1 if=kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin of=/dev/sdg2
    where sdg at the end, is the device name from gparted earlier.
    MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS CORRECT! I can't stress this enough - there is a reason the dd command has been nick named "data destroyer"....
    This should take all of 6 seconds and mine did not give any errors.

At this point all there is left to do is try it out reinstalled into the kindle. When I did mine I left the wires and SD card adapter attached EXCEPT I removed the brown wire (DAT3) from TP805 and one end of the jumper wire from capacitor C803 Insulate the ends of these wires with tape and reinstall the board temporarily back into the kindle.
    LEAVE THE SD CARD ADAPTER UNPLUGGED from your reader!! ALSO OBSERVE ESD PRECAUTIONS while testing / loading software!!
    This saves having to unsolder and resolder everything a bunch of times if something didn't work on the software side. If you do it this way make sure you tape the wires down to the board and when you reinstall the board temporarily, the wires should come out on the left bottom edge (there is somewhat of a pocket there between the board and the rest of the kindle) make sure you only put a screw or two in on the right side next to all the flex cable attachments - the wires DO make the board sit up a little bit so don't put in any more than those one or two right side screws (they are silkscreened H1 & H5) OR YOU MAY CRACK YOUR BOARD!
    Once you are sure you have an accessible kindle you can go ahead and de-solder and remove all of the wires from the board then properly reassemble the kindle.

Mine at this point booted up as a "normal" kindle again... YMMV You may have to do some softbrick recovery as mentioned elsewhere and earlier in this topic. At this point I followed from start to finish the guide from hashcode (the link in the prerequisites) and got the cyanogen mod CM12.1 up and running. I however didn't care for this ROM as the boot time was long and I could not get the google play games part of the play store to allow me to access and link my boom beach account. So I loaded the Slim LP ROM Here: SEARCH FOR TOPIC # t3223314 by Ph0enix_216 since this ROM boots up faster and has more of a standard android phone feel. I then loaded the gapps as suggested in this thread: SEARCH FOR TOPIC # t3241031 by SuperMechaCow using the aroma graphical installer. Everything seems to work good with this setup and I now have a kindle that is more use-able then it was originally.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zsrbevo97ifccj/SD%20Card%20wiring.JPG?dl=0

I drilled some very small holes close to the end of the mini SD internal connections to add stability to the wires. I used Valery_'s image to get the connection labels -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fur0gxy72lox6yb/SD%20Card%20pinout.jpg?dl=0

For the VCC and VccQ wires, because there are two paired together it was not going to be possible to fit them into the SD card adaptor so I made a fly lead off of the main VCC wire -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocmw7p2dgsp4ia6/VCC%20fly%20lead.JPG?dl=0

Next I will be attempting to solder each wire onto the KFHD7 motherboard.

All done. I haven't cut the tracks that have been indicated in this picture as my PC recognises the eMMC under Windows 8 -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lyumxvw5h7agx4/Fire%20HD%20Pinout%20with%20VDDI.jpg?dl=0

So here is the motherboard soldered up -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n30jpvbyhapoub7/Motherboard%20wiring%20KFHD7.JPG?dl=0

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2784284&d=1402079403
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2775022
    good luck

Ok, I have put your image side by side with your top image and colour coded the points (Just bear in mind the right hand image is a mirror image of the BGA). No matter how I look at it, everything is correct and all Vcc, VccQ and Vss points are interconnected so I do not see how it is not working. Can you explain to me the need for cutting the tracks in your original image and what the version 1 and version 2 mean please?

How have you got on with this? The closest I have been is Windows 8 detecting something but Ubuntu doesn't see anything.

Cheers
    Anyone till working on this eMMC read of the KFKD 7? I'm on-board to assist!!

I've purchased a used first gen Kindlefire HD 7 that goes bootloop or fastboot screen, but never fully boots. Unfortunately, I determined that the person that owned this previously trashed the partitions. I attempted to unbrick the KFHD7 with both the KFFIRSTAIDE program and Fastboot commands, but I get errors. I get responses of "Failed: The remote partition does not exist" errors whenever I try to write Bootloader, Boot, or System images. Interestingly the device name was initially "Tate" until after I attempted to write the Bootloader the first time, and now always shows as "Bowser". I think they are one & the same, but the mobo thinks it is the engineering version instead of the mainstream release version. I think that it is unrelated to the partitioning problem with the eMMC, but worth mentioning.

Anyways, I am a hardware engineer, and I think I can help. I've already successfully performed this eMMC read & write method on a KF2. I 've made my own reader that solders to a board.
    The reason why the original attempt at this method on this thread has failed is the following:

The DAT3/CD requires about a 22 to 50-KOhm pullup resistor for the card detection. The 1V (floating) is likely WHY it did not work for you.

Furthermore, I do not believe the "cuts" mentioned earlier are even necessary because the processor core voltage is powered off of a different voltage source. The processor I/O should be tri-state (which is WHY we need about 22 to 50-KOhm pullup on the DAT3/CD signal.)

If anyone has a good KFH7 motherboard that they are willing to donate, please PM me for my address. I am willing to attempt this myself. Otherwise, please try this yourself with the added pull-up that I have specified. Once you have read the image off of the good eMMC, please post the download location so everyone can benefit with KFHD 7 resurrection!

If anyone has already succeeded with this, the details, partition structure, and the raw image read are appreciated! :)
    Thanks,
    Kevin