FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] OFFICIAL CM12.1 KFire HD 8.9 (LP 5.1.x) [2015-06-24 ALPHA]

3,419 posts
Thanks Meter: 23,863

By Hashcode, Senior Recognized Developer on 2nd January 2015, 07:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
OFFICIAL CyanogenMod 12.1 for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A 2ND-BOOTLOADER INSTALLED FROM HERE:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128175

CHECK KNOWN ISSUES BEFORE FLASHING. PROBABLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR DAILY USE.

Official nightly builds can be found here:
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jem

Download Google Apps for Android 5.1:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=25361
(Choose newest *-5.1-* file)

NOTES:
  • Older versions of TWRP will show a "mount failed error". This is safe to ignore. TWRP 2.8.7.0 and on is recommended for cm-12.1 / android-5.1.
  • First boot after a clean wipe will take a LONG time. Be patient.

KNOWN ISSUES:
Use XDA Bug Reporter

SCREEN SHOTS:
Use XDA Screenshots

XDA:DevDB Information
CM12.1 KFire HD 8.9 (LP 5.1.x), ROM for the Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD

Contributors
Hashcode
ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
Beta Release Date: 2015-06-24

Created 2015-01-02
Last Updated 2015-06-24
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]

2nd January 2015, 07:28 PM |#2  
OP Senior Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
KERNEL UPDATES for Lollipop Android 5.0 / 5.1
  • Added F2FS support which can be turned on (with a full /data format) in a future release of TWRP
  • Combined defconfig setup to better support all HD models
  • Picked "Wakeup reason" patchset from Google's common 3.4 kernel (not fully implemented yet)
  • Picked IPV6 routing changes from Google's common 3.4 kernel
  • Reverted a hardcoded disable of Secure Discard and added the official upstream patch for Secure Discard support detection
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2015, 07:28 PM |#3  
OP Senior Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
Android 5.1 / CM-12.1 changes:
  • SElinux Enforcing as default enabled
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hashcode For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2015, 09:40 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Holy smokes! Was hoping this would be out soon after seeing it released for the 7 inch! Thank
You hashcode for all your hours and hard work that allows us to have a better experience with the kindle! This is awesome and can't wait to try!

Mike

update: did wipe, installed cm12 clean with no errors, installed gapps clean with no errors! this maybe normal but progress bar in TWRP did not move after "swipe to install" until file 3 of 3 gapps was installing and it was almost complete (had my heart beating a little faster than normal) : ) but then all was good! first boot took about 6 to 7 minutes i would say (meant to time it but forgot) have went through all settings and all seems good, wireless good, all gapps seem good, not a single bug/glitch/crash SO FAR! thanks a million Hashcode! continuing to test out everything right now but all seems good!

Mike
3rd January 2015, 04:11 AM |#5  

More
OK I noticed one major thing....I lost root. Why did that happen? I did not lose root after I flashed cm11. Is this because its alpha unofficial release? Thanks in advance for any input!

Mike
3rd January 2015, 07:42 AM |#6  
Flag Aurora, Colorado
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Pretty dang good for a first build. I think a new TWRP and f2fs is going to bring the life back to this device. Its been pretty laggy ever sense the Kit Kat builds. I don't remember Jelly Bean being this slow. Maybe I'm just used to faster devices now, but I've always adored my Amazon Jem. Only thing I've seen thus far is Chrome Browser crashes after a minute or two, a bit laggy overall, a battery whore, and Google Launcher flat out doesn't work. Could be the gapps package though. Awesome work so far my friend, real treat. Thanks Hash'

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fan

OK I noticed one major thing....I lost root. Why did that happen? I did not lose root after I flashed cm11. Is this because its alpha unofficial release? Thanks in advance for any input!

Mike

Just flash a SuperSU zip and root is back. I think it's a CM issue because I lost root on other CM12 devices as well recently.
3rd January 2015, 11:13 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,060

More
Thank you!!.Rom is fantastic..Gap link is a waste some kinda malware...
Here are a couple links while they last.
https://app.box.com/s/80q8qu7l9akgb04u828j
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwbf3laae9...igned.zip?dl=0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thepooch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Thepooch Ad-Free
3rd January 2015, 01:04 PM |#8  

More
There was two download tabs in the gapps link. Top one was junk as you described, I grabbed that one first also. But the bottom download tab was correct gapps for LP with matching md5.

Mike

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavien3

Pretty dang good for a first build. I think a new TWRP and f2fs is going to bring the life back to this device. Its been pretty laggy ever sense the Kit Kat builds. I don't remember Jelly Bean being this slow. Maybe I'm just used to faster devices now, but I've always adored my Amazon Jem. Only thing I've seen thus far is Chrome Browser crashes after a minute or two, a bit laggy overall, a battery whore, and Google Launcher flat out doesn't work. Could be the gapps package though. Awesome work so far my friend, real treat. Thanks Hash'

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Just flash a SuperSU zip and root is back. I think it's a CM issue because I lost root on other CM12 devices as well recently.

Flash a zip as in with adb install or just doing regular apk install will work? Thanks

Mike
3rd January 2015, 05:39 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I installed cm12 and gapps clean with no errors, no problems so far. No root when tried to install apps with root access...the solution was easy: in Configuration, Developer Options, Root Access tab.

Thanks Hashcode!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaramosparra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jaramosparra Ad-Free
3rd January 2015, 05:56 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
[QUOTE=zavien3;57915977]Pretty dang good for a first build. I think a new TWRP and f2fs is going to bring the life back to this device. Its been pretty laggy ever sense the Kit Kat builds. I don't remember Jelly Bean being this slow. Maybe I'm just used to faster devices now, but I've always adored my Amazon Jem. Only thing I've seen thus far is Chrome Browser crashes after a minute or two, a bit laggy overall, a battery whore, and Google Launcher flat out doesn't work. Could be the gapps package though. Awesome work so far my friend, real treat. Thanks Hash'

Try using PA GAPPS located at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=56832776. Both Chrome Browser and Google Now Launcher work. I flashed the Full Modular package (clean flash with the ROM).
@Hashcode another great job - can't thank you enough.

Sent from my Amazon Jem using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to BobJayJr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BobJayJr Ad-Free
4th January 2015, 01:08 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramosparra

I installed cm12 and gapps clean with no errors, no problems so far. No root when tried to install apps with root access...the solution was easy: in Configuration, Developer Options, Root Access tab.

Thanks Hashcode!

@jaramosparra thanks for the reminder! have been so excited about trying this out i did not even think about enabling those options.!

Mike
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)