Logitech Universal. Bluetooth Folio for the HD 8.9

Search This thread
Finding decent accessories for this tablet is hard. Especially when it comes to cases as many of them are poorly made. A few days ago I went to Best Buy and bought the 'Universal Folio' by Logitech, however, I wasn't planning on doing so. My intentions were to buy a USB keyboard designed for tablets, and they already had some in stock of what I had looked at the least time I was there. I also needed a case. So I thought, why not kill two birds with one stone and buy it. The salesman let me open and look at it. I was impressed.

Initially I was going to pass at it. The front of the box says "Fits most 9-10in tablets." (This is a Kindle 8.9 and when it comes to Amazon products vs. accessories, yes size does matter). I flipped the box and read ALL of the back. On the right side, the last supported product listed, 'Amazon Kindle Fire 8.9 (HDX included). Score!

Retail at Best Buy was $59.99, ten dollars cheaper than the USB keyboard (not a case). Open it up, insert tablet under the two bottom tabs. Push up on both corners of the clamps on both sides and insert the upper half of the tablet below the clamps, allowing them to grasp it into place. You have a fully functional QWERTY keyboard, which is confusing to setup. Pull the yellow tag out of the battery case and switch on the Folio. Looking at the top right of the keyboard, you will see the F12 key which also has a Bluetooth symbol on it. Make sure you are in the tablet's Bluetooth settings and make sure the tablet's Bluetooth is on, and the folio is turned on. Press the bluetooth symbol (F12) on the folio and also tap it on your tablet. Select your options in the pop up box and tap ok. Enter their given pin number when it's displayed. You have about 10 seconds to enter it so be quick or you'll have to try again. No box will pop up, so just type the pin quickly and hit the enter key on the folio when done.

All in all, this is a really cool accessory. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone. My favorite part: it looks like a laptop :D Pictures attached.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/universal-folio-tablet-keyboard-case

Attachments

• IMG_20171121_155735-01.jpg
    IMG_20171121_155735-01.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20171121_155605-01.jpg
    IMG_20171121_155605-01.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20171121_155723-01.jpg
    IMG_20171121_155723-01.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I wanted to get more out of this setup and wanted to get a mouse. Two things to know: 1) Although the tablets support USB OTG, they do not supply the port with enough power so the standard USB mouse, used with an OTG adapter, will NOT work. 2) A standard wireless mouse with the clip, also will NOT work.

So now I was left with the final option, Bluetooth. I wasn't sure if these tablets would run two Bluetooth devices at one time. I figured it was only $20 for a Bluetooth mouse, so I had nothing too much to lose. I again went to Best Website and looked for one. I got an HP Bluetooth mouse for $18.99, $20 off retail for Black Friday. Batteries were included (2 AA). Simply pull out the paper tab, turn on the Bluetooth on both devices, and select the mouse on your tablet. No pin number is required. Connection is near instant.

Since nearly everyone has rooted, TWRPed and rommed by now, you can I stall the Xposed Framework and install a module called 'Disable full screen keyboard.' this will add a toggle to a notification in the statusbar that allows you to turn off and on, the full screen keyboard "for any keyboard" allowing you the full physical keyboard experience. See attached photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_113425.jpg
    IMG_20171125_113425.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20171125_113425-01.jpg
    IMG_20171125_113425-01.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 81
Disadvantages:

1) you may have trouble using this on your actual lap. The tow clips located on the bottom of the tablet, which hold the tablet in place when in the laptop format, pull up on the plastic ever so slightly when leaned back too far. This causes the connection between the battery and the folio, to become separated which causes the folio to constantly reconnect when pressing the screen too hard.

2) There's no padding between the screen and keyboard. The clips put about 1/4 inch between the screen and keyboard so make sure it's secure and the strap is pulled over properly or you'll scratch the screen big time.

3) Pressing the keys too quick or too hard will cause you to type double letters. This happens a lot for me. So if you're used to really pounding on the keys, you'll have to adjust your pressure.

4) The instructions are vague. If I hadn't figured out how to set it up on my own, it would've gone back to the store.

bjscott55

Jul 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Issues with mouse?

I've recently been using a mouse with my tablet over Bluetooth but in most apps the "click" isn't working I have show touches on and obviously with my finger it shows up but with a mouse is does not, any chance you know a way round this? Cheers

I've recently been using a mouse with my tablet over Bluetooth but in most apps the "click" isn't working I have show touches on and obviously with my finger it shows up but with a mouse is does not, any chance you know a way round this? Cheers

Are you rooted? If so with or without a custom rom?

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you rooted? If so with or without a custom rom?

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

I am running a old ROM, I've figured it out now for anyone that is interested.

Simply download the octopus app from play store and launch your desired app you want to use a mouse on through that works flawlessly. Thankyou for your time.