[DISCONTINUED] [STABLE] Lineage-11.0 for Safestrap v4 [21 Dec 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

cl-i

Dec 1, 2018
Essen
That's going to be a tough find given Open GApps is no longer producing Kitkat builds.

Well, I have to disagree.

First of all the OpenGaps-App fails, so you have to visit the website.
There 4.4 is greyed out, but only because ARM64 is preselected.
If you change to ARM (32 bit), 4.4 is available and a package from January, 10th at the moment is available for download.

When installing Gapps I discovered, CM11's reboot to recovery is not working (for me at least).
The OpenGapps-App was able to do this, so it's a shame to loose it.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Well, I have to disagree.

First of all the OpenGaps-App fails, so you have to visit the website.
There 4.4 is greyed out, but only because ARM64 is preselected.
If you change to ARM (32 bit), 4.4 is available and a package from January, 10th at the moment is available for download.

When installing Gapps I discovered, CM11's reboot to recovery is not working (for me at least).
The OpenGapps-App was able to do this, so it's a shame to loose it.
It would seem Android 4.4 builds are being produced irregularly. I am certainly savvy enough to select the proper architecture on the website; I do not use the Open GApps app. Today only Nano (my preference) and Pico builds are available. Last time I checked only Stock was available which is generally too large to for the system partition on a HDX unless other actions are taken.

cl-i

Dec 1, 2018
Essen
It would seem Android 4.4 builds are being produced irregularly. I am certainly savvy enough to select the proper architecture on the website; I do not use the Open GApps app. Today only Nano (my preference) and Pico builds are available. Last time I checked only Stock was available which is generally too large to for the system partition on a HDX unless other actions are taken.

Well, so OpenGapps is an unsave candidate for 4.4.
In the good old times when our HDX7 was a Top-Winner, I always used the same ZIP (for more than 1 year).
Especially when using Nano, there shouldn't be any disadvantage. Right?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Well, so OpenGapps is an unsave candidate for 4.4.
In the good old times when our HDX7 was a Top-Winner, I always used the same ZIP (for more than 1 year).
Especially when using Nano, there shouldn't be any disadvantage. Right?
Google is constantly mucking around with Play Services/Framework and the portfillo of apps with strong dependencies. Incompatibility will eventually creep in unless all (or none) auto-update which isn't always the case. How long that takes is situational. I have gizmos that haven't seen a GAaps refresh in years. Others poop out once or twice a year. That said, you're probably safe on an Android 11 based ROM as the focus is elsewhere.

tamanyan

Mar 30, 2011
Hi,
I found that I couldn't use Bluetooth PAN-U via smartphone. Bluetooth connection can be established, but have no internet connection.
I use 21 December 2018 build on hdx8.9.
Could anyone solve this problem?

Tersus

Sep 19, 2014
First off I want to thank you for still providing updates for the kindle after all those years.
I recently digged out my hdx 7 and now want to update to this rom.
Even though I looked around the forum, I am kind of lost about how I should upgrade:

I am using your old HDX nexus ROM v2.0.5 .
When I boot to recovery, TWRP appears with version 2.8.6.0 . However, I read somewhere that this is probably not a 'real' recovery but only an emulated one.
When I boot into bootloader I only see the fire logo and [fastboot] with no actual version number. I assume this means I still have a locked bootloader.

How do I get to the required firmware versions (Stock base of .4.5.5.3 and Safestrap v4) without bricking my device? Do you recommend unlocking the bootloader and installing a 'real' TWRP version?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
First off I want to thank you for still providing updates for the kindle after all those years.
I recently digged out my hdx 7 and now want to update to this rom.
Even though I looked around the forum, I am kind of lost about how I should upgrade:

I am using your old HDX nexus ROM v2.0.5 .
When I boot to recovery, TWRP appears with version 2.8.6.0 . However, I read somewhere that this is probably not a 'real' recovery but only an emulated one.
When I boot into bootloader I only see the fire logo and [fastboot] with no actual version number. I assume this means I still have a locked bootloader.

How do I get to the required firmware versions (Stock base of .4.5.5.3 and Safestrap v4) without bricking my device? Do you recommend unlocking the bootloader and installing a 'real' TWRP version?
Best to unlock the bootloader allowing installation of a much broader selection of custom ROMs. You'll be better served by Lineage 14.1 vs this aging ROM.

https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

Tersus

Sep 19, 2014
Best to unlock the bootloader allowing installation of a much broader selection of custom ROMs. You'll be better served by Lineage 14.1 vs this aging ROM.

https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

I found the thread you linked but I am not sure if it works with my old firmware. Does it matter at all? Like, will this one click tool just install the latest bootloader?
Is there any other firmware that needs to be updated (like modem for phones)?
Where do I get that linage Version for the kindle? Can you give me a small step by step guide?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I found the thread you linked but I am not sure if it works with my old firmware. Does it matter at all? Like, will this one click tool just install the latest bootloader?
Is there any other firmware that needs to be updated (like modem for phones)?
Where do I get that linage Version for the kindle? Can you give me a small step by step guide?
Existing firmware is irrelevant for 1-click and the equivalent manual unlock method. Both install an older bootloader with a signature forging vulnerability that is exploited to execute the unlock. 1-click automates this process in tosses in a few other 'nice to haves'. Once unlocked you can choose form any available HDX custom ROM - although most go with Lineage 14.1.

Best path is to browse through the 1-click thread then private message @draxie for a copy of the script. Note you will need access to a Linux or OS X (Mac) based host to execute the automated unlock. Windows is not supported.

Note you'll need to tune up your geek-lite hat to work through the process. 1-click makes it easier but does not fully insulate from nerdy technology/terminology. After all, you are still 'hacking' an Amazon appliance to perform something it was never intended to do.

Reactions: draxie and Tersus

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I remember when I was running the official FireOS ROM I could use the USB Tethering app to pull up a hidden menu where USB tethering was in. Same thing with the Nexus ROM, although I stopped using it because it was unstable (at least from my experience.)
USB port is unpowered on 3rd (and likely 4th) gen HDX devices. Not even the measly 1-5 unit loads (100-500 mA) in the USB 2.0 spec. Whatever tethering you were doing had to be at a very low throughput rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2880px-Lineage_OS_logo.svg.png

Code:
    [COLOR="gray"]
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war,
     * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included
     * in the products you find here before flashing it!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
     */
    [/COLOR]
    General Information
    - This ROM is for all variants of the 3rd generation Kindle HDX tablets.
    - This is primarily for users of Safestrap 4.0.1, however
    - This will also work on devices with TWRP however you must also unlock your bootloader.

What's working
    - Everything including LTE and SMS
    - Phone calls are not working but not sure if they can or not.

Bug Reports
    - Please report bugs here.

Fresh Installation
    - From Safestrap, go into Wipe Menu and Swipe to perform a factory reset.
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash any ARM, 4.4 version of Open Gapps you want
    - Flash SuperSU 2.4.6
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!

Upgrading to a new version
    - Flash the ROM
    - Flash Gapps
    - Flash SuperSU 2.4.6
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!

Downloads
    - LineageOS Builds for Thor
    - LineageOS Builds for Apollo
    - Open Gapps
    - SuperSU 2.4.6

Source Code
    - Kernel Source: Kindle HDX stock kernel, build number 1314.4.5.5.3

XDA:DevDB Information
    Lineage-11.0 for Safestrap v4, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9"

Contributors
    ggow
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Stock base of .4.5.5.3 and Safestrap v4
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2015-06-28
    Last Updated 2019-10-02
    New Build is Up

- Dated 12 Dec 2015
    - Change log on Post #2
    New Build is Up

- Dated 2015-11-24
    - Fixed a bug in yesterday's build with reversed x-axis in motion sensor
    - Noticed it playing NFS Most Wanted.
    - The Safestrap series of ROM's all use the stock 4.5.2 kernel and stock ramdisk
    - There are differences in the way stock FireOS handles the hsic control of BT and WiFi
    - Because we can't modify the ramdisk on these ROM's I can't control the handling of BT and WiFi the way I should or want to
    - The Safestrap series of ROM's will probably always have this limitation on battery management as essentially it is a hack (an excellent one).
    - On a very positive note, because of Safestrap and the ROM's we can say bye bye to FireOS even on a locked bootloader
    - I did these ROM's for one reason, and that was to help out those with bootloaders that can't be unlocked.
    - Now potentially everyone can run a custom/hacked ROM.

Yes very good points. It's a miracle you managed to get safestrap and nexus rom working at all on the hdx so people should just be extremely happy with the results we have. I for one, am extremely happy with the hard work you have done and if all someone has to do to get the best out of this device is charge it a bit more often, then that is a Very small price to pay!
    Some points to consider

- The Safestrap series of ROM's all use the stock 4.5.2 kernel and stock ramdisk
    - There are differences in the way stock FireOS handles the hsic control of BT and WiFi
    - Because we can't modify the ramdisk on these ROM's I can't control the handling of BT and WiFi the way I should or want to
    - The Safestrap series of ROM's will probably always have this limitation on battery management as essentially it is a hack (an excellent one).
    - On a very positive note, because of Safestrap and the ROM's we can say bye bye to FireOS even on a locked bootloader
    - I did these ROM's for one reason, and that was to help out those with bootloaders that can't be unlocked.
    - Now potentially everyone can run a custom/hacked ROM.