Alternate to HDX? Or is this best evar?

Search This thread
I am starting to believe that this was the best tablet of its size and relative price range ever made. Is there a better tablet out there? It looks like the most recent Microsoft Surface, Google Slate, and some iPads (never!) have it beat but they also cost over $1k.

Can you recommend a tablet that is comparable or better that is easier to customize? (root, unlock, and flash with ROMs/community to support it)?

Seems like this is the tablet to have but it's so darn finicky and the USB port is prone to failure (PC won't recognize/interface) rendering even ADB methods unavailable.

Any thoughts? I sold my Nexus 7 in a weak moment and I'm kicking myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I am starting to believe that this was the best tablet of its size and relative price range ever made. Is there a better tablet out there? It looks like the most recent Microsoft Surface, Google Slate, and some iPads (never!) have it beat but they also cost over $1k.

Can you recommend a tablet that is comparable or better that is easier to customize? (root, unlock, and flash with ROMs/community to support it)?

Seems like this is the tablet to have but it's so darn finicky and the USB port is prone to failure (PC won't recognize/interface) rendering even ADB methods unavailable.

Onn 8" from Walmart. Make no mistake it is no HDX but makes up for deficits with a clean Android 9.x build that's highly usable right out of the box; no root needed. Far superior to Amazon's current offerings with possible exception to HD 8 and 10, both of which are harder to customize vs HDX and have limited custom ROM support. $64 US.

Last edited:
Reactions: sd_shadow

LunarisDream

Jun 22, 2014
I really do feel this way ever since picking up my 8.9 4 years ago. I use it almost exclusively for reading ebooks and manga and the screen continues to impress, sporting incredibly high DPI while being comfortable to hold, and excellent battery life even today, taking me through several days' worth of reading at 4 hours a day without issue. Even the 2019 iPad Air is only 265ppi (gsmarena) while the HDX 8.9 is standing at 339ppi. For text, there's no difference, but for manga, the greater capacity for detail is very welcome. The wide bezels on the HDX, and the lighter weight, as well as the 16:10 screen ratio all put the HDX far ahead of competition for reading, which is what Amazon wanted people to do with the Kindle line anyways.

Been looking for an upgrade, also primarily for reading, but pretty much everything on the market right now have worse screens (to be honest, it's hard to beat 2560x1600 resolution on a tablet and I'm convinced the HDX 8.9 was far ahead of its time), or are geared towards other multimedia like videos and mobile gaming, which I have no use for. Anyone feel like they're stuck in the same boat? I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks OP for making this thread. I totally agree with you here.

Seems that the Onn 8" has a 1280x800 resolution screen. After being spoiled by the 8.9's gorgeous screen, it would be too much of a downgrade. I want to find a tablet for reading for my lil sis as she's starting middle school soon, and it's a real dilemma right now. Been eyeing this one dude's ebay listing for a 32GB 8.9" for $82 that already has all the legwork done with LineageOS installed, but I have concerns about buying such an old tablet, although I'm still using mine daily without issue.

Last edited:

kinupsi

May 28, 2019
I really do feel this way ever since picking up my 8.9 4 years ago. I use it almost exclusively for reading ebooks and manga and the screen continues to impress, sporting incredibly high DPI while being comfortable to hold, and excellent battery life even today, taking me through several days' worth of reading at 4 hours a day without issue. Even the 2019 iPad Air is only 265ppi (gsmarena) while the HDX 8.9 is standing at 339ppi. For text, there's no difference, but for manga, the greater capacity for detail is very welcome. The wide bezels on the HDX, and the lighter weight, as well as the 16:10 screen ratio all put the HDX far ahead of competition for reading, which is what Amazon wanted people to do with the Kindle line anyways.

Been looking for an upgrade, also primarily for reading, but pretty much everything on the market right now have worse screens (to be honest, it's hard to beat 2560x1600 resolution on a tablet and I'm convinced the HDX 8.9 was far ahead of its time), or are geared towards other multimedia like videos and mobile gaming, which I have no use for. Anyone feel like they're stuck in the same boat? I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks OP for making this thread. I totally agree with you here.

Seems that the Onn 8" has a 1280x800 resolution screen. After being spoiled by the 8.9's gorgeous screen, it would be too much of a downgrade. I want to find a tablet for reading for my lil sis as she's starting middle school soon, and it's a real dilemma right now. Been eyeing this one dude's ebay listing for a 32GB 8.9" for $82 that already has all the legwork done with LineageOS installed, but I have concerns about buying such an old tablet, although I'm still using mine daily without issue.

dont buy it, much 2 expensive... i even got 2 hdx7 ers and got an issue with usb connectivity ...i ve 2 switch recovery mode 2 transfer files by usb

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
dont buy it, much 2 expensive... i even got 2 hdx7 ers and got an issue with usb connectivity ...i ve 2 switch recovery mode 2 transfer files by usb
This is not a generic device defect. I have owned close to a dozen gen 3 HDX examples over the past 7 years (given away most to family/friends). I have yet to experience s hardware issue that wasn't related to mishandling or simply age. Almost all usb connectivity issues are relates to host drivers, sketchy usb ports or crappy cables.

Yousucks2

Oct 19, 2017
Huawei Mediapad 7.0 T2 Lite its the only decent alternative with the same screen size
Saddly ,(at least for me) its too expensive (150 dollars on Aliexpress+30 dollars shipping)
I tried to switch to a Ipad Mini 4 ,isnt the same, i cant handle ipad with one hand like the kindle, and some apps isnt ported to the screen ratio.
Probably next year the 7" phones will be the standart size, and we can get decent specs .

kinupsi

May 28, 2019
This is not a generic device defect. I have owned close to a dozen gen 3 HDX examples over the past 7 years (given away most to family/friends). I have yet to experience s hardware issue that wasn't related to mishandling or simply age. Almost all usb connectivity issues are relates to host drivers, sketchy usb ports or crappy cables.

i never said its an generic problem on that device.
and i believe u, but i tried that hdx7 on other computers and cables: everytime i ve 2 switch in recovery mode 2 transfer files, so the problem is not the host, like i said ( i am not a person whos says something without trying EVERY option...)

dont misunderstood: i luv my 3 hdx (16gb, 32gb, 64gb) but they r not perfect BUT 82£ is ridiculously expensive! should nt be more than 50 Euro/ 45£ (come on, they r now at least 6 years old)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
i never said its an generic problem on that device.
and i believe u, but i tried that hdx7 on other computers and cables: everytime i ve 2 switch in recovery mode 2 transfer files, so the problem is not the host, like i said ( i am not a person whos says something without trying EVERY option...)

dont misunderstood: i luv my 3 hdx (16gb, 32gb, 64gb) but they r not perfect BUT 82£ is ridiculously expensive! should nt be more than 50 Euro/ 45£ (come on, they r now at least 6 years old)
D'oh boy ... :rolleyes:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
This is not polite, u know that? could u please tell the world and me, why u r impolitely rolled your eyes? (english is not my native tounge btw so be kind and explain easy as possible)
The USB connectivity issues you experienced do not mirror the positive experience of many others who acquired the proper drivers and followed suggested trouble shooting procedures. That along with the "don't buy it" sentiment, instance that you have tried "EVERY" conceivable option and surprising response to a nearly 2 year old post scored the eye role.

kinupsi

May 28, 2019
The USB connectivity issues you experienced do not mirror the positive experience of many others who acquired the proper drivers and followed suggested trouble shooting procedures. That along with the "don't buy it" sentiment, instance that you have tried "EVERY" conceivable option and surprising response to a nearly 2 year old post scored the eye role.

(cant read a apologize from u, maybe u dont realize, that eyerolling is childish and impolite..if u got some mental disorder like asperger and dont know how "normal" people talk ...sry...and i mean it (nor sarcasm here))....anyway, if not, then its time 2 learn manners:

1. thx, but no thx because u might think of yourself as the "i know it all, so i troll" cause u put "every" in quotation marks, like we r going 2 be literally and not objectively, like smart a**es do. as we know everyone,... 2. who do u think u r, that u may talk 4 everybody? When i say i got the told issue, than it is so, and yes i tried !EVERY! possible step even more than u would imagine and instead to get along with my facts u prefer to exacerbate the issue and suggest i lie, or i didnt troubleshoot enough...wow... 3. u even put words in my mouth i never told, like that every device got that problem (until now, i dont understand, why u did that, but maybe my prolouge was right here) 4. u did not help at all, i think imho that u need that: just blabla without sense and need... just because u think of yourself as important as u think of yourself...poor boy, if i am right... times will be better, even 4 u, dear.. (yes, this was a bit sarcasm) 5. u know what? i often read in boards the words "use the search function" and blabla...so i suddenly stumbled in this post and wrote helpfully stats ..maybe 4 someone else as the topic creator...and even if the post is 10 years old, there is no need 2 be rude, my "i know it all"

instead of "explaining" your eyerolling and taking it literally, i wanted an "apologize your unnecessary and offensive behaviour" but even this u couldnt "read between" the lines... maybe again my prologue is right, than everything is alright, poor boy and else: learn manners before u talk 2 adults, kid... i am 2 old 4 this ****

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

(cant read a apologize from u, maybe u dont realize, that eyerolling is childish and impolite..if u got some mental disorder like asperger and dont know how "normal" people talk ...sry...and i mean it (nor sarcasm here))....anyway, if not, then its time 2 learn manners:

1. thx, but no thx because u might think of yourself as the "i know it all, so i troll" cause u put "every" in quotation marks, like we r going 2 be literally and not objectively, like smart a**es do. as we know everyone,... 2. who do u think u r, that u may talk 4 everybody? When i say i got the told issue, than it is so, and yes i tried !EVERY! possible step even more than u would imagine and instead to get along with my facts u prefer to exacerbate the issue and suggest i lie, or i didnt troubleshoot enough...wow... 3. u even put words in my mouth i never told, like that every device got that problem (until now, i dont understand, why u did that, but maybe my prolouge was right here) 4. u did not help at all, i think imho that u need that: just blabla without sense and need... just because u think of yourself as important as u think of yourself...poor boy, if i am right... times will be better, even 4 u, dear.. (yes, this was a bit sarcasm) 5. u know what? i often read in boards the words "use the search function" and blabla...so i suddenly stumbled in this post and wrote helpfully stats ..maybe 4 someone else as the topic creator...and even if the post is 10 years old, there is no need 2 be rude, my "i know it all"

instead of "explaining" your eyerolling and taking it literally, i wanted an "apologize your unnecessary and offensive behaviour" but even this u couldnt "read between" the lines... maybe again my prologue is right, than everything is alright, poor boy and else: learn manners before u talk 2 adults, kid... i am 2 old 4 this ****
Wall of text speaks for itself; moving on. Good luck with life, pal.

madmaxmedia

Sep 5, 2014

In 2021 the 8.9 HDX is still my favorite form factor for the reasons you mention- easy to hold with one hand due to thicker bezel, light weight, and the grippy coating on the back. I also mainly use for reading and watching video, the hi-res 8.9 display is great for that.

These are much cheaper today on EBay, etc. and they run reasonably well with custom ROM. I only wish it had 3GB RAM for smoother performance with GApps, but this is a 2013 tablet. I think the biggest detriment now is that they all have old batteries with varying degrees of degradation.

If you don't care about holding one-handed, the 2021 HD 10 is only somewhat more when they are on sale and I think the most practical choice. The 3GB RAM really helps it run smoothly with Google Play and the Amazon stuff all running side-by-side.

Reactions: ushilives

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Onn 8" from Walmart. Make no mistake it is no HDX but makes up for deficits with a clean Android 9.x build that's highly usable right out of the box; no root needed. Far superior to Amazon's current offerings with possible exception to HD 8 and 10, both of which are harder to customize vs HDX and have limited custom ROM support. $64 US.

In 2021 the 8.9 HDX is still my favorite form factor for the reasons you mention- easy to hold with one hand due to thicker bezel, light weight, and the grippy coating on the back. I also mainly use for reading and watching video, the hi-res 8.9 display is great for that.

These are much cheaper today on EBay, etc. and they run reasonably well with custom ROM. I only wish it had 3GB RAM for smoother performance with GApps, but this is a 2013 tablet. I think the biggest detriment now is that they all have old batteries with varying degrees of degradation.

If you don't care about holding one-handed, the 2021 HD 10 is only somewhat more when they are on sale and I think the most practical choice. The 3GB RAM really helps it run smoothly with Google Play and the Amazon stuff all running side-by-side.