FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Could the Fire 7 HDX run Pie ?

98 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By RemusW, Member on 21st July 2019, 05:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys,
I have the fire 7 HDX 3rd gen. Great tablet but think it could easily run android Pie. I have built a few roms for my phones an am still learning how to build.
My question is before i expend a lot of wasted time trying to port Pie to the HDX is it even a possibility ? Obviously the device drivers and kernel will need to be updated.
I have a few ideas on the kernel perhaps use an updated kernel from a current Pie port from a device running Pie.
The drivers am not sure if they could be coaxed into running under Pie or if I'd need to also find updated drivers again from a Pie ported device.

Am I wasting my time even considering trying this ?
Any advice or feedback on this would be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

22nd July 2019, 02:46 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9,216

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusW

Hi guys,
I have the fire 7 HDX 3rd gen. Great tablet but think it could easily run android Pie. I have built a few roms for my phones an am still learning how to build.
My question is before i expend a lot of wasted time trying to port Pie to the HDX is it even a possibility ? Obviously the device drivers and kernel will need to be updated.
I have a few ideas on the kernel perhaps use an updated kernel from a current Pie port from a device running Pie.
The drivers am not sure if they could be coaxed into running under Pie or if I'd need to also find updated drivers again from a Pie ported device.

Am I wasting my time even considering trying this ?
Any advice or feedback on this would be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

The resource most familiar with porting custom ROMs for HDX devices is still struggling with Oreo. Undocumented kernel and specialized device drivers are the biggest challenges. Me thinks you would have your hands full.
22nd July 2019, 08:51 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB126

The resource most familiar with porting custom ROMs for HDX devices is still struggling with Oreo. Undocumented kernel and specialized device drivers are the biggest challenges. Me thinks you would have your hands full.

Thanks for your reply and giving me an honest assessment on this much appreciated. I had an idea it would not be an easy task or else someone maybe would have done it by now.
It is a shame this is unlikely to happen since I believe the hardware is more than capable of running pie. Hell many devices with lesser hardware are running pie so the HDX should have no problems doing so.

Ohh well I will just enjoy using my HDX as is.

Thanks again RemusW.

ps. sorry for the multiple postings.
The Following User Says Thank You to RemusW For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RemusW Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)