How to root and unlock the HDX for noobies

Search This thread

ticketz

May 14, 2019
Hi guys,

i think i bricked my device, at least i am stuck at fastboot after step 4.

all was fine until i started task 4. since i had the "cannot open for read: No such file or directory" message i started the "extra work needed". after adb push of "aboot" and "twrp" i restarted the device.

i started then again with "dd if=/sdcard/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery <"

and then
"dd if=/sdcard/aboot_vuln.mbn of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot <"

but both times the numbers of the records in and out did not match with the ones in the description of the task.

Since it got late i wanted to stop again and try at some other time. sadly now i am stuck at the fastboot screen when i try to reboot the kindle fire.

when i plugg it to the pc it get recognized and get the "ready" on screen but can not find it by "adb devices". anything i can do?

best regards

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
Hi guys,

i think i bricked my device, at least i am stuck at fastboot after step 4.

all was fine until i started task 4. since i had the "cannot open for read: No such file or directory" message i started the "extra work needed". after adb push of "aboot" and "twrp" i restarted the device.

i started then again with "dd if=/sdcard/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery <"

and then
"dd if=/sdcard/aboot_vuln.mbn of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot <"

but both times the numbers of the records in and out did not match with the ones in the description of the task.

Since it got late i wanted to stop again and try at some other time. sadly now i am stuck at the fastboot screen when i try to reboot the kindle fire.

when i plugg it to the pc it get recognized and get the "ready" on screen but can not find it by "adb devices". anything i can do?

best regards

Did you run the unlock.bat file to unlock the bootloader and get the Unlock code is correct in green shown on the HDX screen?

If not, in fastboot mode with the HDX indicating ready. (brighter white) , type the following:

fastboot flash unlock unlock.code

If you replaced recovery and aboot correctly, the bootloader should now be unlocked after issuing the above command.

If the bootloader is already unlocked and thor_twrp-3.2.3-1.img is in the same folder as your fastboot.exe file, you can issue the following to get into recovery mode:

fastboot boot thor_twrp-3.2.3-1.img

Once in recovery flash whatever custom rom you want.

adb commands do not work when in fastboot mode.

Last edited:

yumsty

Jun 6, 2019
My device is in a boot loop and I am unable to even connect to adb. The device does not show up on device manager either. I have tried installing the device drivers given but it still does not show up. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
My device is in a boot loop and I am unable to even connect to adb. The device does not show up on device manager either. I have tried installing the device drivers given but it still does not show up. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Not sure I can help much as I don't remember much about Safestrap. I think the first thing you must do is to get your HDX to communicate with your computer. 1-Click would probably be your best choice once you get the HDX and comptuer communicating. 1-Click, Bulk Mode, and this thread will not work otherwise. Can you get into recovery mode at all? Maybe the computer will be able recognize the HDX so you could at least load some files to internal storage and Install CM11 again??

Reactions: yumsty

yumsty

Jun 6, 2019
Not sure I can help much as I don't remember much about Safestrap. I think the first thing you must do is to get your HDX to communicate with your computer. 1-Click would probably be your best choice once you get the HDX and comptuer communicating. 1-Click, Bulk Mode, and this thread will not work otherwise. Can you get into recovery mode at all? Maybe the computer will be able recognize the HDX so you could at least load some files to internal storage and Install CM11 again??

I can get it into fire system recovery and I reset to default but it still does not seem to be able to communicate with my computer.

Plektrum

Dec 7, 2014
confused noob

Hello,
Davey126 was kind enough to link me to this thread but I still just can't figure out how to proceed. I have read all the posts here and downloaded all the files and yet I have no idea what to do.

I own a Kindle Nexus HDX 7 (2013, 32 GB) and currently the Nexus Rom (Android 4.2.2) and Safetrap 3.75 (TWRP v2.7.1.0) are installed. Dave126 sent me 2 links - one to this thread, the other to Multi-platform 1-Click bootloader unlock for *ANY* 3rd Gen HDX (with VirtualBox). However, as it is stated within the text of the second link that it "Does NOT work on Windows" I guess there is no use in following the instructions there. So I guess I have to follow the steps described in this thread. Do I have to uninstall Safetrap/the custom rom first? If so, how do I do that? I'm super sorry for being such a noob. Any kind of constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks a lot - also for making this thread in general. =)

Last edited:

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
Hello,
Davey126 was kind enough to link me to this thread but I still just can't figure out how to proceed. I have read all the posts here and downloaded all the files and yet I have no idea what to do.

I own a Kindle Nexus HDX 7 (2013, 32 GB) and currently the Nexus Rom (Android 4.2.2) and Safetrap 3.75 (TWRP v2.7.1.0) are installed. Dave126 sent me 2 links - one to this thread, the other to Multi-platform 1-Click bootloader unlock for *ANY* 3rd Gen HDX (with VirtualBox). However, as it is stated within the text of the second link that it "Does NOT work on Windows" I guess there is no use in following the instructions there. So I guess I have to follow the steps described in this thread. Do I have to uninstall Safetrap/the custom rom first? If so, how do I do that? I'm super sorry for being such a noob. Any kind of constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks a lot - also for making this thread in general. =)

I would like to help you out, but it would be better for Davey to answer where you should start from. I don't remember much about Safestrap and don't want you to get started off wrong. I may be able to help later on, if you need it. Wasn't there slots for a custom rom and Amazon stock? Do you have root access? Do you have adb access?

No matter where you start from, you can still get the necessary files organized, get adb and fastboot working and get the unlock code ready.

Last edited:

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
Hello,

I briefly looked at the Safestrap thread and I don't see any reason to uninstall anything. Just start from where you are. Safestrap is just a modified twrp recovery image over which you will flash the latest twrp recovery image, so that shouldn't be a problem. Any slots you may have created and the modified boot image will be over written when you flash a custom rom after unlocking the bootloader. I don't see a problem there either.

Your biggest challenge will be to get adb and fastboot working correctly, should be fairly easy after that. Start with Task 1 and work through the other Tasks, skipping through those you don't need (should have root access already, if I understood the Safestrap thread correctly).

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I briefly looked at the Safestrap thread and I don't see any reason to uninstall anything. Just start from where you are. Safestrap is just a modified twrp recovery image over which you will flash the latest twrp recovery image, so that shouldn't be a problem. Any slots you may have created and the modified boot image will be over written when you flash a custom rom after unlocking the bootloader. I don't see a problem there either.

Your biggest challenge will be to get adb and fastboot working correctly, should be fairly easy after that. Start with Task 1 and work through the other Tasks, skipping through those you don't need (should have root access already, if I understood the Safestrap thread correctly).
Guidance is spot on. Just a minor clairification: Safestrap lives in the system and emulates TWRP - but isn't a true recovery. Stock recovery remains intact and can be invoked in the usual manner.

If FireOS remains in slot 0 SafeStrap can be uninstalled. However, there really isn't a need as bootloader unlock procedure is agnostic to currently installed ROM.

paoxayla

Oct 18, 2016
first, thanks for the guide and for the time

i have a simple question, when i get to the adb command state, where it says ready after step 1, when i type anything including adb devices, it doesnt recognize any devices even tho it says ready
but if i run the "unlock" batch file in my adb folder i can see something happening in the hdx

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
first, thanks for the guide and for the time

i have a simple question, when i get to the adb command state, where it says ready after step 1, when i type anything including adb devices, it doesnt recognize any devices even tho it says ready
but if i run the "unlock" batch file in my adb folder i can see something happening in the hdx

I need more details before I can help you out. Step 1 is from where? Ready where? On your computer or the HDX? Are you sure adb and fastboot are working correctly? Have you replaced aboot and recovery before trying to unlock the bootloader ( i run the "unlock" batch file in my adb folder)? I have no idea where you are at in this process. Help me out a little. Lol.

player594

Oct 31, 2014
When I run get_code.bat I get this in cmd

adb: error: failed to get feature set: no devices/emulators found
error: no devices/emulators found
adb: error: failed to get feature set: no devices/emulators found
Press any key to continue . . .

And if I open cmd and run >adb get_code I get a 7kb file named get_code in the adb folder with no text in cmd. The file has no ext what so ever.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

paoxayla

Oct 18, 2016
I need more details before I can help you out. Step 1 is from where? Ready where? On your computer or the HDX? Are you sure adb and fastboot are working correctly? Have you replaced aboot and recovery before trying to unlock the bootloader ( i run the "unlock" batch file in my adb folder)? I have no idea where you are at in this process. Help me out a little. Lol.
sorry i didnt gave much details, i'll try to explain better what happened.

i followed exactly what it said in steps 1

i created a folder with files from "thor unlock files" and "adb and fastboot", using windows tool a started the cmd of this folder and the device was recognized using "adb devices" command(i also installed the drivers), after that i initiated fatboot mode but it didnt said "ready" on the device like it's supposed to be, than i updated the drivers like it said in the word file and the ready line was in the hdx device, everything good so far.

after that the device don't recognize any commands from cmd anymore, when i type "adb devices" it dosn't say anything basically, not even that the device is not recognized.

"Have you replaced aboot and recovery before trying to unlock the bootloader", maybe i missed this step, how should i do this? sorry

thanks for the help!

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
sorry i didnt gave much details, i'll try to explain better what happened.

i followed exactly what it said in steps 1

i created a folder with files from "thor unlock files" and "adb and fastboot", using windows tool a started the cmd of this folder and the device was recognized using "adb devices" command(i also installed the drivers), after that i initiated fatboot mode but it didnt said "ready" on the device like it's supposed to be, than i updated the drivers like it said in the word file and the ready line was in the hdx device, everything good so far.

after that the device don't recognize any commands from cmd anymore, when i type "adb devices" it dosn't say anything basically, not even that the device is not recognized.

"Have you replaced aboot and recovery before trying to unlock the bootloader", maybe i missed this step, how should i do this? sorry

thanks for the help!

Still not sure where you are or doing. Will make some guesses. Task 1 was to get adb and fastboot working correctly. It appears that you accomplished that. You state the HDX is recognized when you issue the command adb devices. If the get_code.bat was issued while in adb mode it should get you the unlock.code. I assume in the previous post you were not in adb mode but perhaps fastboot mode.

adb commands only work in adb mode (and sometimes in recovery mode)
fastboot commands only work in fastboot mode

It appears you has accomplished Task 1 and 2. Have you rooted the HDX as per Task 3 or other means? I can only suggest you follow through each Task and not skip around. You look to be close, especially if adb and fastboot are working correctly.

Reactions: Reverse-anastomosis

player594

Oct 31, 2014
Still not sure where you are or doing. Will make some guesses. Task 1 was to get adb and fastboot working correctly. It appears that you accomplished that. You state the HDX is recognized when you issue the command adb devices. If the get_code.bat was issued while in adb mode it should get you the unlock.code. I assume in the previous post you were not in adb mode but perhaps fastboot mode.

adb commands only work in adb mode (and sometimes in recovery mode)
fastboot commands only work in fastboot mode

It appears you has accomplished Task 1 and 2. Have you rooted the HDX as per Task 3 or other means? I can only suggest you follow through each Task and not skip around. You look to be close, especially if adb and fastboot are working correctly.

Are you saying that the get_code should be done before going into fastboot mode or after? Because following the guide reads like doing it in fastboot mode.

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
Are you saying that the get_code should be done before going into fastboot mode or after? Because following the guide reads like doing it in fastboot mode.

I recommend you get the unlock code as soon as you have adb and fastboot working correctly on your computer. Now to confuse you some more perhaps.

C:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached
D072A0A0347706B4 device

Indicates adb is working

C:\adb>get_code
cuber: 1 file pushed. 7.7 MB/s (506072 bytes in 0.062s)
/system/bin/sh: cat: /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/manfid: Permission denied
/system/bin/sh: cat: /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/serial: Permission denied

/data/local/tmp/unlock.code: 1 file pulled.

Indicates the unlock.code file has been created and should be in the C:\adb> directory

Before doing this

C:\adb>unlock

you should have rooted the HDX and replaced the aboot and recovery partitions

I guess I didn't answer your question. Before. Run get_code in adb mode, it will not work in fastboot mode.

Last edited:

player594

Oct 31, 2014
I recommend you get the unlock code as soon as you have adb and fastboot working correctly on your computer. Now to confuse you some more perhaps.

C:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached
D072A0A0347706B4 device

Indicates adb is working

C:\adb>get_code
cuber: 1 file pushed. 7.7 MB/s (506072 bytes in 0.062s)
/system/bin/sh: cat: /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/manfid: Permission denied
/system/bin/sh: cat: /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/serial: Permission denied

/data/local/tmp/unlock.code: 1 file pulled.

Indicates the unlock.code file has been created and should be in the C:\adb> directory

Before doing this

C:\adb>unlock

you should have rooted the HDX and replaced the aboot and recovery partitions

I guess I didn't answer your question. Before. Run get_code in adb mode, it will not work in fastboot mode.

Ok I got the unlock.code now but I can't get it to root

gwardsc65

Dec 29, 2012
Greenville
Ok I got the unlock.code now but I can't get it to root

Sorry about the last post, I thought I was answering someone else. The last sentence would have answered your question. I guess you should start with Task 1 and work through the rest of the Tasks. Best I can do for now as I have no way of knowing what you are doing or have done already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have written up a how to root and unlock the HDX for a friend of mine that maybe of interest to new users of the HDX. I broke it all down into 5 tasks as follows:

Task 1 adb and fastboot
    Task 2 Finding and organizing the necessary files
    Task 3 Rooting the HDX
    Task 4 Unlocking the bootloader
    Task 5 Installing a custom rom

This of course is not the easiest way of accomplishing these tasks, but it is a step by step method whereby he may be able to gain a better understanding of the HDX and may learn something in the process.
    Davey126, without a doubt will be a better source to answer any questions (as he always does) that may arise after viewing these tasks.
    Many many thanks goes out to all developers and everyone who contributes here. I have learned 99.9% of what I know about the HDX from here. Thanks.

This is a direct link for those who might be interested:
    https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZNVL67ZBxbeJQRyXDX4S3WKLXFSVBiXVm37
    Thanks, DB! With your help, I got it to work! Flashing my first custom ROM *woot* :good:

For other noobs out there, please see DBs responses above. I found his links for ADB / Fastboot Console to be winners + using the Moto ADB drivers instead.

Step 5 was a bit confusing for a noob, so here are a couple of links that helped me navigate the process a bit better:

This link discusses the benefits of AOSP Extended and a couple of helpful steps. Make sure to take note of GAPPS. *When choosing which version of GAPPS, I went with what was in the guide pen_gapps-arm-7.1-pico*:
    https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/whats-best-stable-custom-rom-fire-7-hdx-t3721422

This link discusses the general steps (with pictures) of the flashing process:
    https://www.getdroidtips.com/install-custom-rom-using-twrp-recovery/

Not talking smack by any means on the OP and creator of this guide, just a couple of extra noob-friendly tips from one noob to another! Thanks again folks! My old HDX has a new breath of life :)
    Congrats on making it through the manual unlock procedure! It's a tough hoe for some but lots of helpful tips archived in the HDX forums to help with the rough patches. Unfortunately, most of the past contributors have moved on to other devices...as have I. Still enjoy the HDX form factor but it's no longer my daily driver.

Note Lineage is the only custom ROM for 3rd gen HDX devices that receives semi-regular updates. My fav was AEX but over time glitches emerged that pushed me over to LOS. Don't recall the details; likely documented in the AEX thread.

Enjoy your rejuvenated device!
    Hey @
    Hello @gwardsc65 and @DB126

Just want to thank you both for sharing all your knowledge. This walkthrough, along with all the other HDX threads you've pitched in on, helped me revitalize/improve the HDX my late grandpa left for me. Not a typical heirloom, I know. But it means a lot to've been able to have one last project for him he'd be proud of and to keep his cool toy running better than ever.

This walkthrough was perfect. Even in the parts where a little problem-solving was necessary, a super-noob like me was able to learn a few things and feel more confident messing with the innards of a device. Not to mention, I can finally read comics anywhere I like << a miracle! ;) >>

Y'all are top-notch.

Best,
    lydadyer

(Kindle fire HDX 8.9 gen 3)
    Hey @lydadyer -

Thanks for the heart warming post. A great tribute to your late grandfather; I'm sure he would he would be quite proud both of your appreciation of classic tech and for circulating back around to thank those who lent a hand. Something the grey goats of my generation truly appreciate.

Enjoy your HDX.
    After overcoming a couple of hurdles I managed to successfully root my HDX 7 and flash Lineage 14.1

The guide is really great, but there are a couple of things that were not immediatly obvious to me.

Task 1:

The content of [adb_AND_fastboot] is to be copied into a new [adb] folder on C:/
    [kindle_fire_usb_drivers] are to be installed.
    After checking adb and fastboot communication: Exit from Fastboot via pressing the Power button for 20s. get_code (from Task 2) is ans adb command and does not work while Fastboot is active ( Fastboot Ready signal on Fire screen)

Task 4 (after successful Root):

type/paste after #:
    dd if=/sdcard/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

NOT:
    thor:/ #dd if=/sdcard/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Before adb command 'unlock':
    "exit back to c:\ prompt" means closing and reopening the command window.

These may be obvious to some. But I don't do these kind of things regularly and English is also not my native tongue...
    After I figured these points out, everything else worked like a charm!

PS: Power Button and +Volume Button doesn't work on my device, but it is possible to enable Extended Restart Menu in Lineage OS under Developer Options. Afterwards Recovery can be started with just the Power Button.
    Quick update

As of 10:30 AM EST, most of the Word files have been revised to hopefully clarify the areas oknol3 (thanks) described above. I've added some files which includes "EVERYTHING.ZIP" which is all the files thus far in one downloadable file. I will to continue to revise them if needed, but for now I think they are complete enough. Thanks.