[HOW TO] Unbrick Kindle Fire HDX (QHUSB_BULK) with firmware <=1314.3.2.6

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi all,

I check in on this thread once a year or so. Have there been any solutions to unbrick the Thor from QHSUSB_BULK with firmware above 1314.3.2.6? My Thor is still an expensive paperweight gathering dust... I see there have been some developments with unlocking the bootloader? Any instructions for a noob like me?
This device is effectively obsolete. Certainly no meaningful community effort has been invested in reviving bricked devices from the FireOS v3 era. Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news

Reactions: iksel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all - this is works only if you bricked on firmware <=1314.3.2.6.
    So it don't works for "rollbacked 3.2.8(7)" bricks(
    Sorry but need leak of newest version of flash programmer for higher sw.
    I understand that there is not many people with this type of bricks but it is better that nothing=)
    Of course you can try - you can not do worse=) I test this method on 13.3.2.3 and 13.3.2.4.
    Apollo users should read post to the end before doing anything!
    Manual in progress. Additions and comments are appreciated.
    Logs of flasher to examine errors locates at C:\Program Files(X86)\Xiaomi\MiPhone\
    My English isn't perfect) - PM me with OP corrections.

1. Download archive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2twXJIOgv-UR0dZTVJUeFFsVU0/view?usp=sharing and unpack it. Two folders inside - fw and tools.
    2. Install ./tools/MiPhone2015731.exe
    2a. For x64 system you need disable drivers signature verification before installing. Google it.
    3. Start and setup Miflash:
    3a. Press 'Browse' and select folder "fw" from archive. Press OK.
    3b. Press down arrow on this button, Press "Advanced" and fill fields with files in folder 'fw' by "Browse" :
    - flashprogrammer - .\fw\prog_emmc_firehose_8974.mbn
    - raw xml file - .\fw\rawprogram0.xml
    - patch xml file - .\fw\patch0.xml
    - other fields no need to touch
    xYHj4aA.png

4. Ok. Now you need put your device in QHSUSB Bulk - mode and install Drivers.
    4a. Your device can be in this state already. Just connect it to PC.
    4b. If you have working adb (who knows) - type "adb reboot oem-2" or "adb reboot emergency" in cmd (i suppose you know that is adb drivers and adb). This is reboot kindle into emergency mode Qdloader 9008.
    4c. Your device is stucked at greylogo or bootlooping without adb access. You need fastboot cable. Reboot device with plugged fastboot-cable.
    5. Navigate to device manager and check for new device named QHSUSB_BULK . Drivers will install automatically or you need install it manually from .\tools\QualcommDrv.
    In device manager at COM-Ports section you must obtain HS-USB Qdloader 9008 (COMx) without exclamation!
    6. Go to Miflash , press Refresh, you should see your com port and empty bar under "progress" section.
    7. Press "Flash". You should see messages like "WriteFile position 0x00000000840000, size 131072"
    8. If all gone successfully disconnect kindle from PC and reboot it by holding power+vol up.
    8a. If unsuccessful - reboot device and start over. In this mode for reboot sometimes needs above 5 min holding of power button.
    If you get "Opening port" after some loading - you probably have > 1314.3.2.6 fw version.
    9. Grats. You are in TWRP. You could flash stock 1314.3.2.3 firmware renaming bin to zip. Do not forget to block OTA immediately!
    10. BTW you aboot partition is 13.3.2.3 version so you can do procedure of unlock without downgrading to 13.3.2.3 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

Apollo users !!! - you need to replace recovery.img and emmc_appsboot.mbn with these (rename twrp and aboot_vuln).

CREdits:
    bournezhang - for leaked programmer.
    FSmp - for testing at 13.3.2.4

For advanced users - this works with any unlocked devices too (aboot<= 13.2.3.2).
    By filling "filename" at rawprogram0.xml you can flash any partition to your device. Big partition like system.img must be sparsed I assume and rawprogram0 need to correct.
    Of course all of it could be done with dd or maybe with fastboot. But just FYI.

ps. Anyone who knows something about newest version of emmcbld.mbn or lab126 insiders =) feel free to send anonymous e-mail to 2457678atgmaildotcom. Thank you.
    it's really worked method!
    I restored gray logo (QHUSB_BULK) 3rd HDX 8.9 Apollo. I have been waiting this for 2 years))
    the only thing I have not load the firmware http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/twrp-flashable-stock-images-t3194914 - it's not loaded
    http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-cm-12-unofficial-apollo-thor-t3050199 - it's work
    BIG THX!
    First of all - this is works only if you bricked on firmware <=1314.3.2.6.
    So it don't works for "rolbacked 3.2.8(7)" bricks(
    Sorry but need leak of newest version of flash programmer for higher sw.
    I understand that there is not many people with this type of bricks but it is better that nothing=)
    Of course you can try - you can not do worse=) I test this method on 13.3.2.3 and 13.3.2.4.
    Apollo users should read post to the end before doing anything!
    Manual in progress. Additions and comments are appreciated.
    Logs of flasher to examine errors locates at C:\Program Files(X86)\Xiaomi\MiPhone\
    My English isn't perfect) - PM me with OP corrections.

1. Download archive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2twXJIOgv-UR0dZTVJUeFFsVU0/view?usp=sharing and unpack it. Two folders inside - fw and tools.
    2. Install ./tools/MiPhone2015731.exe
    2a. For x64 system you need disable drivers signature verification before installing. Google it.
    3. Start and setup Miflash:
    3a. Press 'Browse' and select folder "fw" from archive. Press OK.
    3b. Press down arrow on this button, Press "Advanced" and fill fields with files in folder 'fw' by "Browse" :
    - flashprogrammer - .\fw\prog_emmc_firehose_8974.mbn
    - raw xml file - .\fw\rawprogram0.xml
    - patch xml file - .\fw\patch0.xml
    - other fields no need to touch
    xYHj4aA.png

4. Ok. Now you need put your device in QHSUSB Bulk - mode and install Drivers.
    4a. Your device can be in this state already. Just connect it to PC.
    4b. If you have working adb (who knows) - type "adb reboot oem-2" or "adb reboot emergency" in cmd (i suppose you know that is adb drivers and adb). This is reboot kindle into emergency mode Qdloader 9008.
    4c. Your device is stucked at greylogo or bootlooping without adb access. You need fastboot cable. Reboot device with plugged fastboot-cable.
    5. Navigate to device manager and check for new device named QHSUSB_BULK . Drivers will install automatically or you need install it manually from .\tools\QualcommDrv.
    In device manager at COM-Ports section you must obtain HS-USB Qdloader 9008 (COMx) without exclamation!
    6. Go to Miflash , press Refresh, you should see your com port and empty bar under "progress" section.
    7. Press "Flash". You should see messages like "WriteFile position 0x00000000840000, size 131072"
    8. If all gone successfully disconnect kindle from PC and reboot it by holding power+vol up.
    8a. If unsuccessful - reboot device and start over. In this mode for reboot sometimes needs above 5 min holding of power button.
    If you get "Opening port" after some loading - you probably have > 1314.3.2.6 fw version.
    9. Grats. You are in TWRP. You could flash this stock 1314.4.5.5 image - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/twrp-flashable-stock-images-t3194914
    10. BTW you aboot partition is 13.3.2.3 version so you can do procedure of unlock without downgrading to 13.3.2.3 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

Apollo users !!! - you need to replace recovery.img at folder "fw" with this one - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2twXJIOgv-UYzhORVczQ3E3cWM/view?usp=sharing

CREdits:
    bournezhang - for leaked programmer.
    FSmp - for testing at 13.3.2.4

For advanced users - this works with any unlocked devices too (aboot<= 13.2.3.2).
    By filling "filename" at rawprogram0.xml you can flash any partition to your device. Big partition like system.img must be sparsed I assume and rawprogram0 need to correct.
    Of course all of it could be done with dd or maybe with fastboot. But just FYI.

ps. Anyone who knows something about newest version of emmcbld.mbn or lab126 insiders =) feel free to send anonymous e-mail to 2457678atgmaildotcom. Thank you.
    Great job bro. About one year ago I was reading many posts on this forum to get enough information to unbrick my Kindle Fire HDX (stuck on grey logo). by reading most of the posts related to Kindle Fire HDX I found out that the only way to unbrick it was a FactoryCable/ FastbootCable. so I made a factory cable and got my Kindle be recognised by my PC as Qdloader 9008 or Qcomm HS-USB Bulk or something like that. but after that I did not know how to flash files on it so my KFHDX was taking rest till today :D
    thanks to you that I am able to revive it now :) thanks again. I have a lot of usefull files and information including some interesting drivers which might help you create tools or find other methods to unbrick the KFHDX. if you need some help or files just drop me a message to my inbox. I will be checking it frequently :) thank you

Hope these files can help you. they are old version
    It is very strange, with safestrap you can do nothing to get 9008. Did you try hold power button very long?
    9008 bulk - mode that related to bootchain. But safestrap cannot change anything at bootchain.
    I know too little about behavior of safestrap at 4.5.x fws, but too strange anyway.
    But if it really hardbricked - sorry , the only option is above.

I don't think it was Safestrap per se-- I think it was the backup I created that Safestrap's TWRP tried to restore. It may have been a corrupted backup--I'm not sure. But you're right--it was completely unexpected. The thing is now only showing a permanent black screen, but my PC can detect it as 9008. Held the power button for five minutes to no avail--thinking I'm going to let the battery drain and try again in a day or so. If it still doesn't work, I guess I'm just gonna have to play the waiting game. (Funny story: I had bricked this thing once before and couldn't use it for a year until you posted this guide. I was able to revive, but then I started tinkering again. Looks like I'm back to where I was before. Ah well. I've learned my lesson for next time for sure--if there is a next time.)