FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Index] Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9" (3rd Gen/2013)

13,689 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,965

By sd_shadow, Recognized Contributor on 20th September 2015, 10:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
&
Kindle Fire HDX 7"
3rd Gen/2013

[INDEX]
Helpful Information
Welcome, this thread has been created to encompass everything you may need for your device. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread, or create your own thread in the Q&A forum. Do not use this as a general help thread.
Click on a Link below for More Info

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create an [INDEX] please Click Here.

A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this INDEX
Please note: This is and will be, an ongoing WIP

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free

20th September 2015, 10:13 PM |#2  
Basic Device Information
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
20th September 2015, 10:14 PM |#3  
Official Stock Firmware
The Following User Says Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
20th September 2015, 10:14 PM |#4  
Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods

USB DriversABD and fastboot.exe

Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods

For Fire OS version update-kindle-xx.4.5.2_user_452004120

See Prep your device for CM11 (or Nexus v4) by Davey126
[Rollback][Downgrade][Thor][Apollo] 3.2.8 rollback-OTA captured by ONYXis
You can downgrade from 4.5.5 and earlier version to 3.2.8.
From 3.2.8 you can upgrade to 4.5.2.
root
then see
[RECOVERY][STOCK][LOCKED] Safestrap v4.0.1 by ggow
then you can use roms built for safestrap recovery

Fire OS version below 3.2.4
  • Keep WLAN off/flight mode active to avoid getting updated by Amazon!
Rooting and disabling OTAFlashing Custom Recovery
Updating the Bootloader
Unlock Bootloader
*Be sure to make a backup of your Fire OS in TWRP and move it to your PC before you flash any custom ROM!

Restore Stock with Custom Recovery
Old
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sd_shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sd_shadow Ad-Free
1st November 2015, 08:22 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Noob...
I have the kindle fire hdx (thor) and i have successfully downgraded the os to 3.2.8 and then upgraded it to the 4.5.2 to be rooted. I do not know how to root and install nexus to it and was hoping that there is an in depth tutorial that i could follow. I have looked for one but cannot find one. If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys/gals!! Also if it is possible to do with 4.5.5 id rather do that to maintain the most recent update but to be honest i dont know the difference between the os's. I have many apple products that i have jailbroken and customized but this will be my first with kindle/android. I here that the rewards are substantial after rooting.
2nd November 2015, 06:06 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 192

More
@Davey126 gave a good overview here, so read all the info and ask before you brick your HDX! If you don't follow the procedure 100% correctly, you will brick your HDX! @tropicallazerbeams also linked to YouTube videos about Safestrap usage and installation of custom ROMs. Regarding the ROMs, read the installation requirements carefully! Not all ROMs are Safestrap v4 compatible (e.g. CM12 and SlimLP which require an unlocked bootloader).
Note that you must keep WLAN off/flight mode active during the down-/and-then-update procedure, getting updated by Amazon by OTA will brick your HDX!
I see you're on 4.5.2 already? You can skip the related info then, and go directly to the rooting with Kingroot.
Kingroot requires a short internet connection, so just enable it to root, and disable right after success! Otherwise you will get updated to 4.5.5. and have to do the whole down- and upgrade process again, with all the risks!
After successful rooting you can install Safestrap v4 and use eiter Nexus or CM11. Now while CM11 works in secondary slots it is recommended to use the stock slot due to higher battery usage of secondary slots (Nexus works in the stock slot only - WLAN won't work in secondary slots). Do NOT restore a backup of a secondary slot to the stock slot! This will overwrite Safestrap files and will brick the HDX!
Again: any questions please ask first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cl4ncy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cl4ncy Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fire hd, hdx, index, kindle fire, sd_shadow

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)