FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Multi-platform 1-Click bootloader unlock for *ANY* 3rd Gen HDX (with VirtualBox)

481 posts
Thanks Meter: 464

By draxie, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 4th November 2015, 06:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th January 2016, 05:01 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Yeah, I've been an electrician and a builder for 35 years, play with cars, gravely walk behind tractors, etc but this stuff kind of stumps me.
8th January 2016, 07:48 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 299

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

We come from the same generation. And yeah, tech can be tough if you don't live/breath it. A few weeks ago I rebuilt a 4 barrel carb in the presence of my young nephew. He was suitably impressed that something so sophisticated could be done without a
touch screen. Meanwhile he kicks my butt in any type of modern video game. We all have our strengths.

That's very impressive! Judging by how often you help out here, I thought you'd be a lot younger.
10th January 2016, 12:42 AM |#103  

More
Big thanks for the help guys. I've got everything flashed and will finally be able to use my tablet to its full potential with plenty of storage to spare. Thank heavens no more ROM slots. Thanks again! One other thing, I'm assuming to boot to recovery it's power and volume up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Clarke33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Clarke33 Ad-Free
10th January 2016, 01:17 AM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 9,350

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke33

Big thanks for the help guys. I've got everything flashed and will finally be able to use my tablet to its full potential with plenty of storage to spare. Thank heavens no more ROM slots. Thanks again! One other thing, I'm assuming to boot to recovery it's power and volume up?

Glad it went well (probably not without a few harrowing moments). Yes, <power>+<vol-up> to access recovery from a cold start. If you opt to flash one of the CM variants there are options under settings for allowing access to recovery via the power button while CM is running. Also options from within Flashify (if you used it) or a number of Play Store apps.

Feel free to ask questions as you go along. You really are in a nice position with an unlocked bootloader. Lots of rom options and better recovery capability should something go wrong.

Enjoy!
10th January 2016, 01:29 AM |#105  

More
I'm in the process of setting everything up right now. I'm stoked to have an unlocked bootloader and never have to worry about an ota update ever again. Think we will ever get marshmallow?
10th January 2016, 01:57 AM |#106  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke33

I'm in the process of setting everything up right now. I'm stoked to have an unlocked bootloader and never have to worry about an ota update ever again. Think we will ever get marshmallow?

Not from Amazon. But a Marshmallow rom is available for unlocked HDX's now (CM13). I'd stick with CM12.1 as the bugs are worked out of CM13. That said it's pretty stable, just a few rough edges. MM doesn't offer much over LP imho, especially on a rooted device where you have control over background process/services and can tweak the UI to your liking.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
10th January 2016, 02:09 AM |#107  

More
Yeah, I flashed cm12.1 and like it so far. Thanks again for your help.
14th January 2016, 06:49 PM |#108  
Flag southeastern
Thanks Meter: 0

More
when is a dev going to release a way to root and unlock the boot loader on 4.5.3 to 4.5.5? I think there are too many risk in doing a downgrade then going back to 4.5.2. The only point is to gain root, but no boot loader unlock.
14th January 2016, 07:07 PM |#109  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkellyjr

when is a dev going to release a way to root and unlock the boot loader on 4.5.3 to 4.5.5? I think there are too many risk in doing a downgrade then going back to 4.5.2. The only point is to gain root, but no boot loader unlock.

If were that easy the exceptional developers who have unselfishly contributed their time and talent in these forums over two years would have certainly delivered. All of the code is open source or otherwise available to those who seek it. Give it a whirl.

Yes - there is risk in rollbacks/upgrades. No one like it. As of now it's the only solution. A method to unlock the bootloader is unlikely given Amazon has discontinued support for 3rd gen models and hardly promotes the one remaining 4th gen variant w/HDX branding.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
14th January 2016, 08:43 PM |#110  
Flag southeastern
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Does Amazon have the ability to unlock the boot loader if one were to call in ask? I have heard they can roll you back to a prior firmware?
Thanks for information, I appreciate all the work the devs and mods have provided, I just didn't know if there was something out there I was overlooking.
14th January 2016, 09:39 PM |#111  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkellyjr

Does Amazon have the ability to unlock the boot loader if one were to call in ask? I have heard they can roll you back to a prior firmware?
Thanks for information, I appreciate all the work the devs and mods have provided, I just didn't know if there was something out there I was overlooking.

Nope. Last thing Amazon wants is an unlocked bootloader. Nor will they root or rollback your device. The latter only occurred during a brief window following the FireOS v3 to v4 update. The first release of v4 was a bit flaky; many savvy users exploited the policy to get back to v3 which was rootable. Amazon quickly ended the practice.

Nothing you have overlooked. Your best option is rollback, upgrade, root, block OTA and (optionally) install Safestrap v4 which offers access to CM11 or Nexus v4. Assuming you have a 3rd gen device.

Edit: 4th gen devices will soon be upgraded to FireOS v5 which is probably more palatable than v4. Exploitability TBD; experiences to date have varied by HW platform.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)