Root for FireOS v4.5.5.1

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
For anyone else with this challenge, I restored my backup and used super-sume, then I removed SS recovery deleted any of the remaining Kingroot directories and finally used the uninstall option within supersu. I confirmed I didn't have root any more so I guess its similar to a 'clean' tablet. Its a shame Amazon didn't cater for a re-install of the OS with a fresh version. It wont do an 'upgrade' if it doesn't detect a version change.
Amazon seems to have learned from 3rd/4th gen gaffs as 5th gen devices offer a more robust recovery menu that supports reloading FireOS. Many HDXs with simple os/rom malfunctions (eg: bootlooops) were fundamentally unrecoverable due to the missing capability. Kinda short sighted on Amazon's part.

Reactions: Chatchum

Chatchum

Jul 21, 2017
Root for my Kindle Fire HDX 7

The Kingroot doesn't work on my tablet. Could you give another solution?

Chatchum

Jul 21, 2017
KingRoot is a POS that often takes numerous (occationally dozens) if runs to identify a vulnerability and apply an exploit to secure root. Keep trying.

Or, you can go this route which is considerably more difficult and a lot riskier.

I bought 2 HDX 7 and they don't use FireOS. Both of them are running CM11. I have tried too many ways to root them, but all failed.
Thank for your solution. But I'm a noob. Could you explain more or root them over network?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It has been less than 12 hours since this was discovered (thanks to @rb11701) but potentially big news to those with 3rd gen devices that will not be receiving FireOS v5.

It appears FireOS v4.5.5.1 can be directly rooted with Kingroot! This greatly simplifies the process of obtaining root for those running FireOS > 4.5.2. Simply allow the device to update to 4.5.5.1 via normal OTA and then root.

There are early reports that Safestrap v4 and GAaps (Play Store) also work on 4.5.5.1. More testing is needed, especially wrt Safestrap. I strongly recommend against installing one of the Safestrap compatible custom roms until further testing has been done.

One thing you should immediately do after rooting 4.5.5.1 is block over-the-air (OTA) updates in the event a successor to 4.5.5.1 removes root and closes the vulnerability that Kingroot exploits. Instructions here.

Please note these are early reports. It may not work with all devices. There may be hidden 'gotchas'. All your hair might fall out. Amazon may have installed secret trackers in 4.5.5.1 that transmit your whereabouts to their secret base on Mars (built by Curiosity in cooperation with NASA) before bricking your device. Go in with eyes open.
    Thanks for your answer! :good:
    I actually read many posts and saw some guides to disable the OTA, install Custom ROM and Google Play Store but i wanted to be 100% sure that I'm doing the right thing in the right order. It is a bit difficult if you have found the guides how to do it but don't know in which order and how it really affects the device. But now i think I'm on a good way and gonna try to 1. Root 2. Disable OTA 3. Install Safestrap 4. Follow the Instructions for "CM-11 for Safestrap v4" 5. Install Google Play Store.
    And enjoy the new experience if i haven't forgotten something?
    A last question (i hope) would be: How do i "flash"? And SuperSu is optional and only needed if i want root right?
    - root (with Kingroot)
    - no need to disable OTA as you will be overwriting FireOS
    - install Safestrap v4 (link)
    - install Safestrap v4 recovery (caution: never perform a native 'factory reset' with SS v4 installed; device will brick)
    - boot into Safestrap v4 recovery and backup your current rom (FireOS v4)
    - reboot FireOS v4 and copy backup folder (TWRP) to a host PC for safe keeping
    - download recommended packages from CM11 OP (first post) and safe to 'internal storage' (root of sdcard)
    - reboot Safestrap v4 recovery and perform a 'factory reset' from the 'wipe' menu (not the same as a native factory reset)
    - do NOT create a secondary slot (slot 1) as many videos recommend; does not work well with Safestrap v4 (just don't....)
    - use 'install' option to flash CM11, GAaps and SuperSU into the STOCK slot which will overwrite FireOS v4
    - clear Dalvik and Cache partitions when prompted
    - reboot device; CM11 should start

You will loose all data/apps as the above is a clean install of a new operating system (rom). The above only serves as a rough outline. Work slowly and become familiar with each step. You probably won't finish this today; plan accordingly.

Hint: Take some time to read through the SafesStrap v4 and CM11 threads. Many tips/hints can be found along with a few helpful 'how-to' guides from other users. In the end you'll be happy for the time invested.
    Thanks for the information and link. I got gapps installed but it quits on me. I have been manually downloading apks that I want on my HDX. I would still love to get gapps working though. I will update my progress if I get it working.
    Believe I may have a solution but can't pen the details now. Will update post in a few hours. Be aware it may involve a full wipe of your device so you might want to limited customization/personalization until the path forward is clear.
    Sorry for delay. Thoughts as follows:
    - If you want to keep CM-11 suggest performing a clean install (below), flash Open GAaps nano, boot into CM and then install the latest version of the Play Store from here. Then install whatever Google apps you want directly from the Play Store. This isn't much different than what you have (are doing) now but insures an clean install of the Google framework which may prevent downstream headaches. Especially given the multiple GAaps flashes you have attempted.
    - If you are not partial to CM suggest flashing the Fire Nexus ROM which has SuperSU and GAaps built in. The GAaps version is similar to nano which means just the basics plus the Play Store. You'll still have to install individual Google properties. But it has proven reliable and is a more recent rom build vs CM11 (both are KitKat based). This too would be a clean install.
    - I do not have a good solution for flashing a full GAaps package. Some claim older versions work better. You can access these from the Open GApps home page (links at bottom) but you'll need to scroll back to early Dec 2015 (many screens) to find a known good version. One flashed it will automatically update to the latest version. I have no personal experience with this but have been told it works.

To prepare for a clean install:
    - save any important data by copying to another location
    - download and copy either CM11 or Fire Nexus Rom
    - boot into Safestrap v4; make sure you are on the STOCK partition (you should not have any other slots)
    - (recommended) backup your existing installation
    - make 100% sure you can access one of the above rom images (zips) from within Safestrap
    - from the 'wipe' menu click 'advanced wipe', select all partitions (cache, dalvik, data, system) and then execute using slider at bottom
    - return to home page and then use 'install' option to flash rom of choice
    - reboot system accepting any suggested options
    - once rom boots use a file manager to located the TWRP folder and delete backups or transfer to another device (they are large)

Good luck.
    Just thought I would share an update on my install. I was able to install Safestrap v4 and CM-11 & Gapps with zero issues so far. Everything seems to be working as expected. I started w/ v4.5.2 stock w/ gapps installed & OTA disabled. I have the 7" HDX (Thor). Before starting the steps below, I renamed the OTA file so that factory updates would start back up.

1. Let the Kindle OS auto update to v4.5.5.1
    2. Installed Kingroot app from here. Just copy the apk over to the Kindle storage, and install using ES File Explorer (you can get ES File Explorer from the Amazon App Store): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60709899&postcount=1
    3. Run Kingroot app, and it will root the device.
    4. Disable OTA updates by renaming the file in the system directory - just browse to /system/priv-app/ and search for DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk and then rename it DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk.old. Here are the instructions if you want to read more. http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/tut-disable-ota-4-5-2-install-gapps-t3043550
    5. Installed latest copy of SuperSU.apk. I used v2.65 of the app. Anyway, copy over to the Kindle, and install using ES File Explorer. When you run this, it will remove all the Kingroot stuff. If it doesn't, try uninstalling Kingroot & using ES File Explorer to search for "Kingroot" and delete anything it finds related to Kingroot. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
    6. Install Safestrap v4.0.1 - this is gives you recovery. Download the zip, and in the "Common" folder there is the installation APK. Copy to the Kindle, and install with ES File Explorer. http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/recovery-safestrap-v4-0-1-t3137840
    7. Once Safestrap was installed, I downloaded the CM-11 ROM from here and copied it over to the Kindle:
    http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-cm-11-safestrap-20150628-unofficial-t3145547
    8. I got a zip file of the gapps from here. I just got the "mini" version, but make sure to get the ARM v4.4 (kit kat) version. Also copy this over to the Kindle.
    http://opengapps.org/
    9. Launch the Safestrap app and follow prompts to install the pseudo-recovery. From the menu, reboot into recovery
    10. Once in recovery, I followed the instructions from the CM-11 XDA post. http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-cm-11-safestrap-20150628-unofficial-t3145547
    Fresh Installation
    - From Safestrap, go into Wipe Menu and Swipe to perform a factory reset.
    - Flash the ROM File
    - Flash any ARM, 4.4 version of Open Gapps you want
    - Flash the latest SuperSU package if you want root
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy!
    11. After installing CM-11 ROM and GApps, I rebooted, and went through the setup process. Voila! Everything works great.
    12. I also went back into recovery and made a backup of my ROM after I had everything set up, so that if anything happens, I have a copy to hopefully fix it. I copied this backup over to my PC and deleted it off my Kindle to free up some storage.

Absolutely zero problems so far! I do have a few questions and if anyone can answer, I would appreciate the feedback:
    1) Is this setup safe from the FireOS from updating itself? I would guess it is since i now have a completely new ROM on the device, but just wanted to verify.
    2) Do I need to do anything special with the Google Play services? Will it update itself and stop working? Or now that I'm running CM-11 is it going to play nice with the updates to all the Google services & apps moving forward?

The main thing, is I just want to stop messing with this damn tablet! I would love for this thing to be "frozen" as is and not have to go through this process again.
    - root (with Kingroot)
    - no need to disable OTA as you will be overwriting FireOS
    - install Safestrap v4 (link)
    - install Safestrap v4 recovery (caution: never perform a native 'factory reset' with SS v4 installed; device will brick)
    - boot into Safestrap v4 recovery and backup your current rom (FireOS v4)
    - reboot FireOS v4 and copy backup folder (TWRP) to a host PC for safe keeping
    - download recommended packages from CM11 OP (first post) and safe to 'internal storage' (root of sdcard)
    - reboot Safestrap v4 recovery and perform a 'factory reset' from the 'wipe' menu (not the same as a native factory reset)
    - do NOT create a secondary slot (slot 1) as many videos recommend; does not work well with Safestrap v4 (just don't....)
    - use 'install' option to flash CM11, GAaps and SuperSU into the STOCK slot which will overwrite FireOS v4
    - clear Dalvik and Cache partitions when prompted
    - reboot device; CM11 should start

You will loose all data/apps as the above is a clean install of a new operating system (rom). The above only serves as a rough outline. Work slowly and become familiar with each step. You probably won't finish this today; plan accordingly.

Hint: Take some time to read through the SafesStrap v4 and CM11 threads. Many tips/hints can be found along with a few helpful 'how-to' guides from other users. In the end you'll be happy for the time invested.

Based on the post from Davy126, I successfully installed CM11 onto my Kindle Fire HDX 7" THOR
    This is what I did step by step

Written on 20th Feb 2016
    NOTE: Some of the files may have been modified since the time of writing.
    I am documenting my experience of installing "Cyanogen CF 11" onto a Kindle Fire HDX 7" (Thor)

Prerequisites
    Start with a 3rd Generation Kindle Fire HDX 7" tablet
    Open "Settings > Device Options > System Updates" and check that your device is running Fire OS 4.5.5.1
    Enable "Settings > Applications > Apps from Unknown Sources"
    Make sure you start with full battery charged.

PART 1: ROOTING YOUR FIRE HDX 7" (Thor)
    Install the ES File Explorer from the Amazon Store
    From the home screen go to "Apps" then "Store". Search for "ES File Explorer"
    Install "ES File Explorer"
    Open "ES File Explorer" and tap the list icon (top left). Tap "Tools" and try to turn on "Root Explorer"
    You should get an error because your device has not yet been rooted

Install KingRoot
    Now download the "Kingroot 4.8.0" application from here.
    When downloading use the "ES Download Manager".
    Install Kingroot by using the ES File Explorer. Open up the "Local > Download Manager"
    Locate the file "NewKingrootV4.8_C135_B242_office_release_2016_02_03_105243.apk" and tap the apk to install Kingroot
    Reboot the Kindle
    When the Kindle reboots it will restart into standard FIRE OS, start Kingroot.
    Use the menu top left and turn on "Tools > Root Explorer"
    If all is well then you now have root access.
    Do not continue unless you have successfully completed rooting your Kindle

PART 2 Installing SafeStrap (V4)
    Download SafeStrap 4 for THOR from here.
    Open the ES File Explorer select "Tools > Download Manager"
    Locate "Safestrap-Thor-4.0.1-B03.apk"
    Install Safestrap
    When it finishes the screen will show "Done" and "Open", tap "Open"
    A warning screen will he shown that allow the use of root access. Allow that
    Next Safestrap will show a warantty screen. Read it and then "Agree" will let you continue.
    The opening screen will be shown.

PART 3 Making a Backup with SafeStrap
    At the front screen tap "Install Recovery"
    Wait a moment and the text at the top of the screen will change to show State: Installed
    Now tap the "Reboot to Recovery" button which will reboot you into recovery mode
    The kindle will restart and the Safestrap recovery screen will be shown that comprises a set of eight buttons:
    "Boot Options", "Install", "Backup", "Restore", "Mount", "Wipe", "Advanced" and "Reboot"

You will need to do a "Backup" so tap "Backup"
    The default options of "Data" and "System" are fine as are "Encryption", "Refresh Sizes".
    I left the "Enable compression" and the MD5 option unchecked
    You can slide the control at the bottom to make a backup.
    Since this is an important backup I left compression off and did not backup the Cache
    Wait for the backup to complete. It takes a while so be patient.
    When it is completed, Safestrap will show "Backup Complete"
    On that screen tap "Reboot System"

Your Fire will now boot, this time Safestrap will show you its own boot screen. Just wait for 10 seconds and the normal Kindle FIRE OS will load

You have not loaded SafeStrap and made a backup of the native Kindle Fire system

Connect your tablet to a PC and copy the Internal Storage/TWRP folder to the PC for safe keeping. This is your original Kindle OS

PART 4: Download CM11 an OpenGoogle Apps
    Downlaod CM11 from here.
    The file you download will be cm-11-SAFESTRAP-20160206-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    (you may wish to send a donation to ggow for the work)

Go to Open GApps to download Google apps. It is located here.
    When you get there use the radio buttons and select
    • Platform "ARM",
    • Andorid version "4.4"
    • Variant "stock"
    The file you download will be open_gapps-arm-5.1-stock-20160220.zip
    Use ES file Manager to move the two zip files from the "downloads" folder to the /sdcard/ folder to make the next step easier.
    You do NOT need to extract the zip files.

PART5: Use SafeStrap to Flash CM11 and open Google Apps
    IMPORTANT: Make sure that you have the downloaded files in the /sdcard folder on your Kindle when doing the next steps. You should have:

• cm-11-SAFESTRAP-20160206-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip
    • open_gapps-arm-5.1-stock-20160220.zip

In "/sdcard"

Reboot the tablet and on the SafeStrap first screen, tap "Recovery"
    On the SafeStrap main screen tap "Wipe", then Swipe to do a "SafeStrap" Factory Reset.
    This will completely remove FireOS form you Kindle. It takes only a short time.
    When it is completed, the message "Factory Reset Complete" "Successful" should appear on the screen
    Tap the button "Back" then tap the "Back" button on the bottom right of the screen with the funny arrow.
    You will get back to the SafeStrap home screen.
    Tap "Install".
    You now have access to the zip files you downloaded earlier because a SafeStrap "Factory Wipe" does NOT modify the files in the "/sdcard" folder (which includes the downloads folder)
    Scroll down to locate and tap "cm-11-SAFESTRAP-20160206-20160206-thor.zip"
    On the next button tap "Add More Zips"
    Scroll down again to locate then tap "open_gapps_arm-4.4-stock-20160220.zip"
    Now Swipe to Confirm Flash
    The system will now flash CM11 and GApps
    Wait for a while
    When finished you will get a "Successful" message with three buttons
    Tap "Wipe cache/dalvik" then Swipe to Wipe
    When finished you will get a "Successful" mesage.
    Tap "Back"
    Then tap "Reboot System"

SafeStrap will start tap "Continue" to contine
    Then the "Cyangenmod" screen will be shown. This part takes a few minutes so be patient and don't panic.
    Eventually you will get to the CyanogenMod setup wizard
    At the "Welcome to CyanogenMod" screen select your language then tap "Next"
    At the "Select Wi-Fi" set up your Wi-Fi
    At the "Google account" set up your google account if you have one.
    You may be asked to "Insert a SIM card". Tap "OK" to acknowlege the message
    At the "Set up your CyanogenMod account" you can enter your details or tap "Skip"
    At "Location settings" you can leave defaults and tap "Next"
    At "Date & time settings" check your settings and change if necessary. When happy tap "Next"
    At the "Setup is compete" tap "Finish"
    Cyanogen UI starts!

Welcome to a new life for your Kindle Fire HDX!

Hope this helps someone.
    Thanks to all for their hard work.