[Thor][Apollo] Unlocking bootloader with any firmware

Search This thread

hdmodding

Jun 24, 2022
Would anyone know what is casuing
"Error opening input file: 2 The system cannot find the file specified"
When running dd of=\\?\Device\Harddiskx\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mb and
dd of=\\?\Device\Harddiskx\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img (on windows 10)

The-Frog

May 5, 2021
Hi HDModding,

Yes, you cannot use 'harddiskx' in the line, the x should be the partition index value such as 'harddisk3' or 'harddisk1' or whatever the index value is from the previous steps ...

Hope this helps
The Frog

aaa_plshelp

Oct 4, 2022
Steps unlock bootloader and needed files

this is the details step for unlocking bootloader for the 2013 Kindle HDX 7 (Thor) and HDX 8.9 (Apollo). Becarefull the 2014 HDX 8.9 (Saturn) doesn't work! These steps are done in Windows 10, successfully checked by myselft!
i don't take any credits, just collect all the steps in one post of the whole process.

Download the needed files are in the attachment, just download them all + the TWRP for your device from this thread: TWRP 3.1.1-1
You do NOT need root for these steps!

1. Install the adb-setup-1.4.3 into a folder (for example: C:/adb), extract dd-0.5.zip + unlock.zip + aboot-xxx.zip, put dd.exe + get_code.bat + unlock.bat + twrp image (for your device) + aboot_vuln.mbn (for your device) into that folder. After that install the kindle_fire_usb_driver.
2. Turn on ADB-Debuging Mode in Developer Mod by tapping 7 times the build numbers in settings and connect to your computer + trust your device.
3. Excecute "get_code.bat" in the folder above, you will get a new file: unlock.code in the folder.
4. Open CMD in the folder and run "adb reboot bootloader", the Kindle will reboot to bootloader with "[ fastboot ]" on the display
5. On the Computer go to Device-Manager and change driver in "Other Android" to "Fire Devices - Android Adb Composite Driver" . It should say "Ready" on the Kindle.
6. Now we need to enter Bulk-Mode like the instruction in this thread: Bulk Mode
Type:

7. When done, hold down the power button until it reboots. Now you will be at Bootloader with [Fastboot] sign on the screen. Change the drive in Device-Manager again if needed.
8. Run the "unlock.bat" in the folder and you should get a green line: "unlock code is correct". Congrats your Kindle now has an unlocked bootloader.
9. Now hold power button again to shut down the device, then hold both "power button + Volume UP" and keep them for 3-5 seconds after you see the "kindle fire" logo. Then you will get into the TWRP and flash your desire things.

i hope this post will help others new member to free our beautifull devices!

Cheers and happy flashing :D
Hi, great post but I seem to have encountered a major problem... I followed all the steps till 6 and typed in the given into cmd but it did not return the same error but

C:\Users\DELL>dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn​
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.​
Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>​
This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details​
Error opening input file: 2 The system cannot find the file specified​
C:\Users\DELL>dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img​

Now the device will not power on or go into twrp... I suspect that I've made a rookie mistake somewhere and could have possibly hard bricked my device.

Additionally, every time I plug in the kindle to my pc it'll open multiple dialog boxes saying, "you need to format the disk before using it". Moreover, when connected the device is displayed as QHSUSB_BULK (which is supposed to be the kindle in bulk mode..?)

I would deeply appreciate any insight to complete the unlocking bootloader or recovering the fire os.
Thank you for your time.

MMTalk

Nov 27, 2022
Hi, great post but I seem to have encountered a major problem... I followed all the steps till 6 and typed in the given into cmd but it did not return the same error but

C:\Users\DELL>dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn​
C:\Users\DELL>dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img​

Now the device will not power on or go into twrp... I suspect that I've made a rookie mistake somewhere and could have possibly hard bricked my device.

Additionally, every time I plug in the kindle to my pc it'll open multiple dialog boxes saying, "you need to format the disk before using it". Moreover, when connected the device is displayed as QHSUSB_BULK (which is supposed to be the kindle in bulk mode..?)

I would deeply appreciate any insight to complete the unlocking bootloader or recovering the fire os.
Thank you for your time.
Trivial question, did you change the name of the downloaded aboot file "emmc_appsboot-13.3.2.3.2_user_323001720.mbn" to aboot_vuln.mbn? Same with the twrp file "thor-twrp-3.5.0_9.1.img" to twrp_cubed.img? And do you placed these two files in the same folder with the other files?

Even weeks after trying this you can resume trying again. I for myself had problems after the "wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex". I even unplugged fire hdx 7. Tried to turn it on without success. After 10 Min. I found the problem. I used PowerShell instead of a simple CMD Window. I plugged the fire hdx in and those several PC Window frames popped up again. I even played around with the power button of the fire hdx to see whats happens with those PC windows pooping up. Device was discovered and I changed the driver. The screen still was black and adb and fastboot didn't work. But 'wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex' worked and all those other following commands too.

Last edited:

aaa_plshelp

Oct 4, 2022
Trivial question, did you change the name of the downloaded aboot file "emmc_appsboot-13.3.2.3.2_user_323001720.mbn" to aboot_vuln.mbn? Same with the twrp file "thor-twrp-3.5.0_9.1.img" to twrp_cubed.img? And do you placed these two files in the same folder with the other files?

Even weeks after trying this you can resume trying again. I for myself had problems after the "wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex". I even unplugged fire hdx 7. Tried to turn it on without success. After 10 Min. I found the problem. I used PowerShell instead of a simple CMD Window. I plugged the fire hdx in and those several PC Window frames popped up again. I even played around with the power button of the fire hdx to see whats happens with those PC windows pooping up. Device was discovered and I changed the driver. The screen still was black and adb and fastboot didn't work. But 'wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex' worked and all those other following commands too.
I didn't change the names of the files, I only downloaded the files attached to the original post and placed them in the abd folder.

Could you give more insight as to how exactly you revived your hdx and what commands you wrote in PowerShell? Moreover how did you get the device discovered again? I'm stuck with the fire in bulk mode while it's recognized as a drive instead of an android device... If I could undo the partition, I could possibly get the device working again though, I only know of theory of what to do, not the actual code.

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions but I'm quite desperate to fix the fire...

Thank you for your hopeful response.

MMTalk

Nov 27, 2022
I didn't change the names of the files, I only downloaded the files attached to the original post and placed them in the abd folder.

Could you give more insight as to how exactly you revived your hdx and what commands you wrote in PowerShell? Moreover how did you get the device discovered again? I'm stuck with the fire in bulk mode while it's recognized as a drive instead of an android device... If I could undo the partition, I could possibly get the device working again though, I only know of theory of what to do, not the actual code.

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions but I'm quite desperate to fix the fire...

Thank you for your hopeful response.
Are you trolling my? The command lines must refer to the downloaded files. Either you change the names of the downloaded files to the names in the command line or the other way around.

No I didn't change anything to revive the hdx. It can be that the battery of your fire hdx is completely down after weeks Connect it with the PC at least for 2 hours and try to charge it. Then unplug and replug it with the PC (Win10) and look if it it is discoverd in the device manager (second pic in #1206 here in the forum thread)? In the pic in #1206 it is discovered but you must set the driver renewed. If it can't be find press the start button of the fire hdx and hold it some moment so turn turn it on as usual. As the screen stays black the only way to see that the device is turned on is seeing it discoverd under the device manager on the PC (Win10). Is it discovered and the driver set renewed continue with the following command lines in cmd (NOT PowerShell, PowerShell caused the problem!!!):

wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex
wmic partition where (index=17 and numberofblocks=20480) get diskindex
wmic partition where (index=5 and numberofblocks=4096) get diskindex

dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition6 if=XXXX.mbn
dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition18 if=YYYY.img

with XXXX the name of the downloaded aboot file with the mbn extension
with YYYY the name of the downloaded twrp e.g. the recovery file with the img extension

aaa_plshelp

Oct 4, 2022
Are you trolling my? The command lines must refer to the downloaded files. Either you change the names of the downloaded files to the names in the command line or the other way around.

No I didn't change anything to revive the hdx. It can be that the battery of your fire hdx is completely down after weeks Connect it with the PC at least for 2 hours and try to charge it. Then unplug and replug it with the PC (Win10) and look if it it is discoverd in the device manager (second pic in #1206 here in the forum thread)? In the pic in #1206 it is discovered but you must set the driver renewed. If it can't be find press the start button of the fire hdx and hold it some moment so turn turn it on as usual. As the screen stays black the only way to see that the device is turned on is seeing it discoverd under the device manager on the PC (Win10). Is it discovered and the driver set renewed continue with the following command lines in cmd (NOT PowerShell, PowerShell caused the problem!!!):

dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition6 if=XXXX.mbn
dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition18 if=YYYY.img

with XXXX the name of the downloaded aboot file with the mbn extension
with YYYY the name of the downloaded twrp e.g. the recovery file with the img extension
i did complete the steps provided above and this time it was successful as in
Code:
C:\adb>dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition6 if=emmc_appsboot-13.3.2.3.2_user_323001720.mbn
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>
This program is covered by the GPL.  See copying.txt for details
Error native opening file: 0 The operation completed successfully
Code:
C:\adb>dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition18 if=recovery.img
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>
This program is covered by the GPL.  See copying.txt for details
Error native opening file: 0 The operation completed successfully
but now how to advance further?
i input fastboot -i 0x1949 erase aboot but it says waiting for devices (in device manager its given as android composite abd interface) and it cannot boot into twrp either. If i try to run the file manually through my computer, it says disc image file is corrupted?
For context, when i hold power + volume up it just displays all the drives and their format boxes....

azazeldev

Hey, I kinda messed up with the "get_code.bat". I got an empty key file and didn't notice, so I just continued to do everything until step 8, which is when I realized I couldn't continue. Now I'm stuck in either TWRP or [fastboot]. How do I get out or get my code?

Edit: I also started a thread here.

Last edited:

Ethjam

Feb 22, 2023
Hello. I Have been trying to install a rom on my HDX 7", first I tried with Safestrap, the rom seems to install but it wouldnt boot, then i roll back everithing and tried to unlock bootloader with this method,
when I performed `fastboot reboot` it looks at first like it enter Bulk Mode but kept restarting without being able to do next step, then fool me I disconnect the tablet and now is not showing at all. the computer shows usb/failure description error.
Does anyone has some idea, Any help is apreciated :cry:

Macastacas

Aug 27, 2023
Hello. At first, I did not invent anything new, just checked some my guess on a other motherboard. All thanks and credits to our great developers. As always, all at your own risk.
It does not work on the Fire HDX 8.9 (Saturn)!
All steps in this manual are not necessary but they are present for maximum safety. So I highly recommend do anything exactly in this way. Sorry my English as always =)
Update2 - actual method is https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75284993&postcount=1006
Update: now you can use updated draxie's utility - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

Prerequisites for Installation

- Root
- Installed adb and fastboot drivers - official - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UWWdwRl9TQS11b0k (if your system language not English, after fail navigate to "Program Files (x86)\Lab126\drivers" and run dpinst.exe /EL or switch to English =) for x64 need to disable driver signature verification before install ) also you can use pdanet drivers - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59268023&postcount=8

Manual:
1. Create unlock file following this instruction - https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-h...r-firmware-t3463982/post70881555#post70881555

2. Flash old vulnarable aboot and cubed twrp (just in case). Check that all these commands executed without errors. If you'll get one - read second post below. If your firmware <=13(14)3.2.3.2 skip this step.
Download aboot and twrp for Thor (Kindle Fire HDX 7) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UMGxXMUZPZTlZTUk or for Apollo (Kindle Fire HDX 8.9) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-URzJDQkczNzRLaHM - and put this two files (twrp_cubed.img and aboot_vuln.mbn) into root of your kindle internal storage.
Run:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
dd if=/sdcard/aboot_vuln.mbn of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
Now you have working twrp recovery. It already works even without unlocked bootloader. You could boot into it by holding volUP during grey kindle logo. But no need to flash anything until unlock. At this point this is just emergency tool if something goes wrong =)

3. Flash unlock file.
Now, if you reboot, you will go straight into fastboot because of old aboot - newest boot.img can't load with it. If your firmware <13(14).4.1.1 you need run "adb reboot bootloader" to boot into fastboot.
Time to flash your unlock file.
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash unlock 0xmmssssssss.unlock
You must obtain "unlock code is correct".
Grats. You are perfect =)
You can flash:
CM13 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/orig-development/rom-cm-13-kindle-hdx-2015-11-29-t3259732
CM 12.1 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-cm-12-unofficial-apollo-thor-t3050199
Or stock repacked latest 4.5.5.2 rom - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UVFFtN2RYNXNUZ0k (13.x - thor, 14.x - apollo)
Do not flash original stock firmwares.

Regards and thank to all - @dpeddi, @vortox, @draxie, @ggow, @Ralekdev, @jcase, @Hashcode
And greatest thanks for motherboard for my experiments to @MahmudS !
My dear friend, thank you so much for your post. The only issue is that the link for downloading aboot and twrp is not working. Can you help me please. Thanks!

Macastacas

Aug 27, 2023
Hello. At first, I did not invent anything new, just checked some my guess on a other motherboard. All thanks and credits to our great developers. As always, all at your own risk.
All steps in this manual are not necessary but they are present for maximum safety. So I highly recommend do anything exactly in this way. Sorry my English as always =)
Update2 - actual method is https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75284993&postcount=1006
Update: now you can use updated draxie's utility - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

- Root
- Installed adb and fastboot drivers - official - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UWWdwRl9TQS11b0k (if your system language not English, after fail navigate to "Program Files (x86)\Lab126\drivers" and run dpinst.exe /EL or switch to English =) for x64 need to disable driver signature verification before install ) also you can use pdanet drivers - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59268023&postcount=8

Manual:
1. Create unlock file following this instruction - https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-h...r-firmware-t3463982/post70881555#post70881555

2. Flash old vulnarable aboot and cubed twrp (just in case). Check that all these commands executed without errors. If you'll get one - read second post below. If your firmware <=13(14)3.2.3.2 skip this step.
Download aboot and twrp for Thor (Kindle Fire HDX 7) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UMGxXMUZPZTlZTUk or for Apollo (Kindle Fire HDX 8.9) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-URzJDQkczNzRLaHM - and put this two files (twrp_cubed.img and aboot_vuln.mbn) into root of your kindle internal storage.
Run:
Code:
adb shell
su
Now you have working twrp recovery. It already works even without unlocked bootloader. You could boot into it by holding volUP during grey kindle logo. But no need to flash anything until unlock. At this point this is just emergency tool if something goes wrong =)

3. Flash unlock file.
Now, if you reboot, you will go straight into fastboot because of old aboot - newest boot.img can't load with it. If your firmware <13(14).4.1.1 you need run "adb reboot bootloader" to boot into fastboot.
Code:
You can flash:
CM13 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/orig-development/rom-cm-13-kindle-hdx-2015-11-29-t3259732
CM 12.1 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-cm-12-unofficial-apollo-thor-t3050199
Or stock repacked latest 4.5.5.2 rom - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UVFFtN2RYNXNUZ0k (13.x - thor, 14.x - apollo)

Regards and thank to all - @dpeddi, @vortox, @draxie, @ggow, @Ralekdev, @jcase, @Hashcode
Thank you so much. Link for downloading aboot and twrp cubed is not working. Can you please provide a new one? thanks!!

Jonathan-Realman

Apr 7, 2021
BULK MODE

Here's a set of instructions that _SHOULD_ work to recover your device.
We had two recent successful cases, and I've only managed to brick
one of my test devices experimenting with this.

Nevertheless, the standard disclaimer still applies: your device, your risk.
If anything goes wrong, I'm not responsible.

1. Open a command window (cmd, NOT PowerShell!!) and run the following commands:
    Code:
    All three of the above commands should return the same DiskIndex.
    Let's call that index X.
  2. Download and extract http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip.
  3. In the command window, change to the directory with the extracted dd.exe
    and run the following two commands with the right aboot&twrp files for your device
    (you will need to substitute the DiskIndex X from above in place of the red X):
    Code:
    dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn
    dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img
    This error message on the first command seems normal: "Error reading file: 87 The parameter is incorrect"
    NB: make sure you run both commands! Without TWRP, you'll get a brick.
  4. Wait a few minutes for good measure; then, keep holding Power + VolUp until your device enters TWRP.

@bluecoyote, @Mr McBoatface (or anyone else starting from fastboot)
I have all the ingredients for a script, but haven't had time to put it all together.
The above instructions work, once you put your device into "bulk mode".
To do so, you'll need to run these two fastboot commands:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 erase aboot
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
NB: this will be scary as you'll lose 'fastboot' and only see a black screen.
Your device should reboot into "bulk mode" resulting in a number of pop-up
windows asking to format all the partitions that get exposed (at least, on Windows 10).
DO NOT format anything! Follow the above instructions instead.

Oh, and YES: this should also work on any unrooted & locked 3rd gen HDX device.
You need to enable ADB and run the following command to enter fastboot:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

This is arguably faster (and less malware-ridden) than trying to root with Kingroot,
but it's easy to make a small mistake and end up with a brick.
Well, that seems to have completely bricked my Kindle. Huh. Can't get out of

QHSUSB_BULK anymore.​

zyb_zyb

Oct 7, 2023
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash unlock unlock.img
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
sending 'unlock' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.084s]
writing 'unlock'...
FAILED (remote: Failed to write unlock code into IDME)
Whether in Ubuntu or win10,this is the prompt.

madmamadma

Jan 8, 2024
Hi, i'm stumped, i've followed all instructions but my hdx 7 inch, i get the error "Error native opening file: 0 The operation completed successfully", but sometimes i get "
Error writing file: 433 A device which does not exist was specified
1+0 records in
0+0 records out" this is my commands: "C:\adb>dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img" (i did rename the file) and "C:\adb>dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn" also renamed, tried and same results in an admin prompt and a standard prompt, even though it says successful, i try and revive the devices (holding the power button) nothing, try holding power and volume nothing, has anyone got any suggestions? Thank you for reading this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Root

Manual:

Run:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su

3. Flash unlock file.
    Code:
    You can flash:

Steps unlock bootloader and needed files

this is the details step for unlocking bootloader for the 2013 Kindle HDX 7 (Thor) and HDX 8.9 (Apollo). Becarefull the 2014 HDX 8.9 (Saturn) doesn't work! These steps are done in Windows 10, successfully checked by myselft!
    i don't take any credits, just collect all the steps in one post of the whole process.

Download the needed files are in the attachment, just download them all + the TWRP for your device from this thread: TWRP 3.1.1-1
    You do NOT need root for these steps!

1. Install the adb-setup-1.4.3 into a folder (for example: C:/adb), extract dd-0.5.zip + unlock.zip + aboot-xxx.zip, put dd.exe + get_code.bat + unlock.bat + twrp image (for your device) + aboot_vuln.mbn (for your device) into that folder. After that install the kindle_fire_usb_driver.
    2. Turn on ADB-Debuging Mode in Developer Mod by tapping 7 times the build numbers in settings and connect to your computer + trust your device.
    3. Excecute "get_code.bat" in the folder above, you will get a new file: unlock.code in the folder.
    4. Open CMD in the folder and run "adb reboot bootloader", the Kindle will reboot to bootloader with "[ fastboot ]" on the display
    5. On the Computer go to Device-Manager and change driver in "Other Android" to "Fire Devices - Android Adb Composite Driver" . It should say "Ready" on the Kindle.
    6. Now we need to enter Bulk-Mode like the instruction in this thread: Bulk Mode
    Type:
    Code:

windows asking to format all the partitions that get exposed (at least, on Windows 10).

Open a command window (cmd) and run the following commands:

Code:

All three of the above commands should return the same DiskIndex. Let's call that index X.

In the command window, run the following two commands with the right aboot&twrp files for your device
    (you will need to substitute the DiskIndex X from above in place of the X):

Code:
    dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn
    dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img

This error message on the first command seems normal: "Error reading file: 87 The parameter is incorrect"

Wait a few minutes for good measure; then, keep holding Power + VolUp until your device enters TWRP.

7. When done, hold down the power button until it reboots. Now you will be at Bootloader with [Fastboot] sign on the screen. Change the drive in Device-Manager again if needed.
    8. Run the "unlock.bat" in the folder and you should get a green line: "unlock code is correct". Congrats your Kindle now has an unlocked bootloader.
    9. Now hold power button again to shut down the device, then hold both "power button + Volume UP" and keep them for 3-5 seconds after you see the "kindle fire" logo. Then you will get into the TWRP and flash your desire things.

i hope this post will help others new member to free our beautifull devices!

Cheers and happy flashing :D
    Generate the unlock code on your own Kindle (no python required)

Prerequisites
    • Platform tools (adb + fastboot) from Google
    • Fire drivers from Amazon
      (if you want something that works with *both* adb *and* fastboot, make sure you hand-pick the 'Android Composite ADB Interface' driver under 'Fire Devices' in Device Manager)
      Update Driver Software... >> Browse my computer for driver software >> Let me pick from a list [...] >> Fire Devices
    • Download and extract unlock.zip (SHA256: e5db0b8d82c8fd2a25a22b0a598014d22a2ec33cef27a8d4b65a36acde08f27a)
      to the same directory that holds the adb and fastboot executables (default: platform-tools)
      unless, of course, you have added that directory to your PATH

Code Generation & Unlock
    1. Click on get_code.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
      --- this replaces step 1 (including *both* 1.1 & 1.2) of the OP ---
      Check that two hex-numbers are printed (manfid+serial) and a new file 'unlock.code' appears in that folder
    2. Perform Step 2 of the OP
    3. Click on unlock.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
      --- this replaces step 3 of the OP ---
      if you see < waiting for any device > in the Command window, you'll need to manually select a driver

That's all folks...
    BULK MODE

it is all my fault.my device is apollo,nexus4.4.4. when unlocking bootloader,i put the wrong file into interstorage,that is thor's aboot vuln and twrp cube.and then my hdx8.9 cannot enter recovery,bootload and system,only display background light.i can still see its storage in computer,but shows do not find device in adb .so what should i do to save my apollo?i am appreciating for you help..

Here's a set of instructions that _SHOULD_ work to recover your device.
    We had two recent successful cases, and I've only managed to brick
    one of my test devices experimenting with this.

Nevertheless, the standard disclaimer still applies: your device, your risk.
    If anything goes wrong, I'm not responsible.

1. Open a command window (cmd, NOT PowerShell!!) and run the following commands:
      Code:
      All three of the above commands should return the same DiskIndex.
      Let's call that index X.
    2. Download and extract http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip.
    3. In the command window, change to the directory with the extracted dd.exe
      and run the following two commands with the right aboot&twrp files for your device
      (you will need to substitute the DiskIndex X from above in place of the red X):
      Code:
      dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn
      dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img
    4. Wait a few minutes for good measure; then, keep holding Power + VolUp until your device enters TWRP.

@bluecoyote, @Mr McBoatface (or anyone else starting from fastboot)
    I have all the ingredients for a script, but haven't had time to put it all together.
    The above instructions work, once you put your device into "bulk mode".
    To do so, you'll need to run these two fastboot commands:
    Code:

Oh, and YES: this should also work on any unrooted & locked 3rd gen HDX device.
    You need to enable ADB and run the following command to enter fastboot:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

This is arguably faster (and less malware-ridden) than trying to root with Kingroot,
    but it's easy to make a small mistake and end up with a brick.
    Although I have registered my 'thanks' on various posts it seems hollow to not explicitly recognize @ONYXis and @draxie for their tremendous contributions supporting this device both past and present. The ability to unlock virtually any rooted 3rd gen HDX is a true game changer that will revive interest in this discontinued gem that still competes nicely with contemporary offerings. Well done, gents!