HDX7 suddenly goes charging-only - ideas?

Search This thread

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Hi all,
Long story short, I went on a brief (1 week long) trip and just went back, and during the trip I had my HDX7 stored in a locker in powered off state. The weather during the week was rainy, but the storage locker was quite deep inside the room.
Before I go on the trip it works alright; however, when I'm back, I surprisingly found that it no longer connects to the PC, i.e. no USB debugging or MTP notification at all when I plug the tablet in.
Here's where I'm at:
  • No ADB and MTP recognition, either in OS or in TWRP recovery
  • Tablet charges normally at full speed
  • Different cables on hand doesn't help
  • Different ports on the PC, even a different PC, doesn't help
At this point I'm ready to accept that some sort of hardware damage has occurred, however, I'm still willing to know...
  • Is this really hardware damage, or have I missed something?
  • If yes, how come?
  • Possibility of repairing?
Thanks for your insights.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi all,
Long story short, I went on a brief (1 week long) trip and just went back, and during the trip I had my HDX7 stored in a locker in powered off state. The weather during the week was rainy, but the storage locker was quite deep inside the room.
Before I go on the trip it works alright; however, when I'm back, I surprisingly found that it no longer connects to the PC, i.e. no USB debugging or MTP notification at all when I plug the tablet in.
Here's where I'm at:
No ADB and MTP recognition, either in OS or in TWRP recovery
Tablet charges normally at full speed
Different cables on hand doesn't help
Different ports on the PC, even a different PC, doesn't help

At this point I'm ready to accept that some sort of hardware damage has occurred, however, I'm still willing to know...
Is this really hardware damage, or have I missed something?
If yes, how come?
Possibility of repairing?

Thanks for your insights.
Charging takes place on the two outer pins; data communication on the two inner pins. Look for a bent/missing inner pin. More likely one or more solder connections have broken where the USB recepticle attaches to the main board. Not a fun fix; just say 'no' if inexperienced with such mods.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Charging takes place on the two outer pins; data communication on the two inner pins. Look for a bent/missing inner pin. More likely one or more solder connections have broken where the USB recepticle attaches to the main board. Not a fun fix; just say 'no' if inexperienced with such mods.

While I have tools for disassembly and some experience, HDX7 is definitely beyond my ability to dismantle just to check what's wrong, let alone repairing it on my own.
Guess I'll just sell this thing cheaply to someone who can bear with transferring files wirelessly...