FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Random Builds and Development

256 posts
Thanks Meter: 284

By pfederighi, Senior Member on 19th October 2015, 08:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all.

This thread is for random builds and development. There is no agenda other than to keep the Kindle Fire alive for the few of us that remain. This thread is not meant to support any specific ROM. I hope this is okay with the forum administrators.

With that said, please join in. We're all in this together.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pfederighi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pfederighi Ad-Free

19th October 2015, 09:26 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle

More
Cm-12.1 2015-10-15
I made a public viewable folder on my Google Drive for Android stuff here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Xc&usp=sharing

I uploaded a build of CM-12.1. The file name is weird so I will explain (in case you care):
cm-12.1-20151015-UNOFFICIAL-kad-rsm-O3-mo3-wifi-otterx.zip:
kad = kernel compiled with ArchiDroid toolchain
rsm = ROM compiled with SaberMod toolchain
O3 = almost all compiled with -O3
mo3 = more optimization, specifically as much of JustArchi's compiler flags as would work. The '3' is my third attempt to add more optimizations.
wifi = hack to make wifi work without doing a clean install, that is, there is a script, fix-mac.sh, which I think only gets run with a clean install. My hack was simply to copy the file that the wifi driver wants to the name that it wants. This should allow either dirty or clean flashing.

Suggestions:
* Change the animation duration levels in Developer Options to 0.3x or less.
* Use the Noop I/O scheduler for regular things like reading a book (that's why you bought a kindle, right) or browsing the web.
* Use the Deadline I/O scheduler for interactive things like playing a game.
* If you like Gapps, I suggest OpenGapps or TK Gapps. I have not tried this ROM with Gapps.
* You will need to get a third party program to change kernel settings. I like Kernel Adiutor.

The issues:
* Don't use the brightness slider in quicksettings. If you do use it, the status bar goes away and leaves the top part of the quicksettings panel in its place. I suggest disabling the slider and using the brightness control in the status bar settings. I'm not sure if this is a new bug or the result of too much optimization.
* There are no app snapshots in the recents switcher. This may be internal to Android as a way to save memory for low RAM devices, or it may be a bug in CM.
* The Kindle Fire just doesn't have enough RAM (or rather Android is just too freakishly bloated). Attempting to run memory intensive apps will likely result in them crashing or running slowly because the RAM they are using is being swapped to ZRAM. You may be able to adjust the ZRAM size and get better results.

There you have it. I hope you find it useful.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pfederighi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pfederighi Ad-Free
21st October 2015, 03:29 PM |#3  
Flag jakarta
Thanks Meter: 245

More
Ah. I just realize this thread. Going to try the 12.1 now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
22nd October 2015, 01:48 AM |#4  
Flag jakarta

More
@pfederighi. Running fine and fast on the first boot. I clean flashed it without gapps.
After I flash Pico opengapps, it's rather slow now, but probably adjusting things. I'm going to use this for a while and see.
I M using privacy guard to block wake up and keep wake permission for (almost) all apps, since I don't use app that need to do that. Been set it up like that since ur cm11. Gave me very good battery life.
Will post some screenshot later

Thanks for this

22nd October 2015, 02:08 AM |#5  
Flag jakarta

More
Here you go. It's getting faster now.
Is there any downside of using higher zram? Default it 60mb, I change it to 1gb. Using noop as suggested. Low memory killer should be okay I think, but previous cm11 use much lower than this (120mb). Although I changed it to around 100mb too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445475845715.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	3514625Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445475886023.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	3514626Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445475912390.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	3514627

Edit. Oh one more thing. I try out the brightness slider, working just fine on mine. Ur issue probably because of dirty flash?

22nd October 2015, 11:22 AM |#6  
Flag jakarta

More
Battery life looks good.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445509275250.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	3514928Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445509306888.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	3514929

22nd October 2015, 09:20 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokie80

Here you go. It's getting faster now.
Is there any downside of using higher zram? Default it 60mb, I change it to 1gb. Using noop as suggested. Low memory killer should be okay I think, but previous cm11 use much lower than this (120mb). Although I changed it to around 100mb too.
Attachment 3514625Attachment 3514626Attachment 3514627

Edit. Oh one more thing. I try out the brightness slider, working just fine on mine. Ur issue probably because of dirty flash?

I tried increasing ZRAM to 100 MB, I think, and found some things crashed, like the Amazon Underground and Monument Valley apps. I think there wasn't enough real RAM to allocate that much for ZRAM. I changed it back to 60 MB and both of those apps worked again, though slowly.

I'm not sure if I had KSM (kernel samepage merging) enabled. If I didn't, I probably should have. KSM can free up quite a bit of RAM, at the cost of CPU. Though, one can change the parameters for KSM and perhaps find a nice compromise.
The Following User Says Thank You to pfederighi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pfederighi Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 01:13 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hello,

I'm following your instructions but when I start Kernel Adiutor I get the message No root available. I tried installing SuperSU but it fails when trying to update its binary. Any suggestions?
23rd October 2015, 01:47 AM |#9  
Flag jakarta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev716

Hello,

I'm following your instructions but when I start Kernel Adiutor I get the message No root available. I tried installing SuperSU but it fails when trying to update its binary. Any suggestions?

U don't need supersu. There's su app built in. Try installing Adiutor again, I remember I had that issue too, but I re open it, and it ask superuser request.
Su setting is on developer options. It's enabled by default.
Did u open kernel Adiutor and supersu from notification panel? (the one that tell us that xxx app is installed). I did, and it give that error. starting the app from home screen and app drawer works fine. Dunno if it's related to notification panel one, or u just need to open it twice.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfederighi

I tried increasing ZRAM to 100 MB, I think, and found some things crashed, like the Amazon Underground and Monument Valley apps. I think there wasn't enough real RAM to allocate that much for ZRAM. I changed it back to 60 MB and both of those apps worked again, though slowly.

I'm not sure if I had KSM (kernel samepage merging) enabled. If I didn't, I probably should have. KSM can free up quite a bit of RAM, at the cost of CPU. Though, one can change the parameters for KSM and perhaps find a nice compromise.

I don't use that many app, so dunno have experience with crashing. I use 1gb zram since ur cm11, although I don't see any benefit. No crashes though.
I'll try 256mb later then.
I thought swap is remmended at 2x ram on Linux?

23rd October 2015, 06:01 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokie80

I thought swap is remmended at 2x ram on Linux?

Indeed, but that is swap to disk. ZRAM is the method of allocating an area of RAM that is treated as a compressed disk and using it as a swap file system. It is a way of using limited RAM more efficiently, at the expense of CPU time, but it is still using RAM. So, on our device, 100 MB is eaten up by graphics buffers and proprietary firmware. Another ~300 MB is eaten up by Lollipop itself. This leaves us with ~100 MB for user programs, which is not a lot. If you allocate ZRAM at 60 MB, that leaves 40 MB of regular RAM + ~120 MB compressed on the ZRAM drive for programs. This gives us more memory to work with, but effectively 75% of it is compressed, which means every time it's read, it needs to be decompressed, and every time it's written, it needs to be compressed. The memory manager of linux does a great job of making it efficient, but it still slows down the system.

If Android were to actually swap to disk, which it can do, it would wear out the solid state media very quickly because there are a limited number of writes before the media no longer works. There have been great advances in the field of solid state technology such as Intel's and Micron's new 3D XPoint (it's awesome, check it out). So, in the near future this may no longer be an issue, but it doesn't help our old devices.

If you really do need the memory, you can make a swap file on an externally powered USB hard disk, mount the drive, and then issue a `swapon path_to_your_swap_file` from the terminal. I've done it before. It's painfully slow, but it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pfederighi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pfederighi Ad-Free
23rd October 2015, 07:41 PM |#11  
Flag jakarta

More
Thanks for the explanation.
Cmiiw, so zram is on the ram itself?
So if I'm not using many apps at the same time, probably better to use zero zram? Assuming the free RAM is enough for the app.
about KSM, does it mean that with KSM enable, ram that is used for the system can be put on zram (compressed)? And by that, does it mean that zram is used only for user apps?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)