FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

X727 (US Model) Persistent bootloader unlock from 5.8.019s

996 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,116

By dr4stic, Senior Member on 15th November 2016, 08:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
WARNING: This ABSOLUTELY HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRICK YOUR DEVICE. Please tread carefully. I am NOT responsible if you damage your device. This can be very dangerous, PLEASE do not do this unless you know you absolutely want/need to. You have been warned.

Important information:
  • This is for US Model x727 running the 5.8.019s version of the US ROM. If you flashed the chinese ROM, this will not help you at all.
  • Afterwards you should still have US ROM and features at version 5.8.019s
  • Your device should be persistently unlocked after successfully performing this procedure.

This zip file replaces the aboot and xbl (basically, the bootloader) with the versions from the LE_ZL1_LEX720-CN-FN-WAXCNFN5801811021S-5.8.018S.zip ROM file. I can't guarantee this will work for everyone (or even anyone). I can only tell you that it worked for me.

NOTE: If this makes you happy, please consider donating by clicking on the "donate to me" button under my handle at the left. I am broke and trying to recoup the cost of this device

Requirements (what I *think* you'll need):
  • US Le Pro3 running the US ROM updated to 5.8.019s OTA (If you're running the chinese ROM because you were impatient and didn't want to wait for the grownups to work out a procedure, this will not help you).
  • TWRP Image (I used the chinese one)
  • Zip File listed below
  • Somewhere to put the zip file for flashing if you don't want to have to wipe your device (I've heard of people successfully using an OTG storage device? I just wiped mine so you're on your own to figure this out)

This is the procedure I followed:
  • Have ADB/Fasboot tools on your computer (I am not helping you here, it you're lucky, maybe your friends will help)
  • Make sure you have enabled the developer tools, turned on USB debugging, and authorized your computer on your device (again, I'm not helping with that)
  • Make sure adb can see your device when you run "adb devices"
  • Run "adb reboot bootloader"
  • Run "fastboot devices" to make sure you see your device
  • Run "fastboot oem unlock-go" to unlock your device temporarily
  • Run "fastboot oem device-info" to verify unlock status
  • Run "fastboot boot recovery_twrp.img" (or whatever the twrp image filename is on your computer) to boot up to TWRP
  • NOTE: If you don't read chinese and you haven't done this before, you'll be presented with a screen in chinese with two buttons next to each other and a swipe underneath them. THE BUTTON ON THE RIGHT lets you change the language. Press it, thank me later.
  • If you have an OTG device with the bootloader replacement zip on it, skip this step. If you have to use your device's storage, and your storage is encrypted, you'll have to wipe all the data. Go to Wipe, choose Format Data and follow the instructions. YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING ON YOUR DEVICE. Be warned.
  • If you wiped your data partition, you'll need to push the zip file to the storage. Run "adb push x727-5.8.019s_bootloader-unlock.zip /sdcard/"
  • Now press "Install", select the x727-5.8.019s_bootloader-unlock.zip file and flash it.
  • Reboot back to your system. If you wiped data, your device will now proceed to re-initialize itself as if from the factory

Your system should still be running the full US ROM, but it should also now be persistently unlocked. Don't do any updates, your device likely won't remain unlocked if you run an update. And there's no guarantee you'll be able to re-unlock after doing so.

NOTE: If you flash TWRP to the recovery partition, the OS will likely reset it to the factory recovery UNLESS YOU ROOT THE SYSTEM. Your device is still unlocked, the recovery was just restored by the system, don't freak out. Be warned. I don't have time to answer stupid questions, neither does anyone else.

Download: x727-5.8.019s_bootloader-unlock.zip
MD5: 8eff2a1e29c9959259e7db1dd5c74a67

Special thanks to @hondajohn88 for taking the leap and experimenting with the chinese rom on his own device.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to dr4stic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dr4stic Ad-Free
15th November 2016, 10:37 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Is it possible to have the chinese bands with the US rom on the x727? because I'm bringing the phone to asia and i need band 41
15th November 2016, 03:48 PM |#4  
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 36

More
How about pulling us the modem image from the US version now since you have it unlocked. The Grossoshop is great except a few of us have flashed this over the CN ROM and the CN modem seems to be lacking a few bands.
The Following User Says Thank You to zoid_99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zoid_99 Ad-Free
15th November 2016, 05:28 PM |#5  
Flag Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 79

More
awesome job! i knew we'd figure out root/unlock eventually. wonder if Le Eco accidently let this happen or did it on purpose so they can have plausible deniability

edit - did you also by chance backup the stock bootloaders?
The Following User Says Thank You to ExTREmE99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ExTREmE99 Ad-Free
15th November 2016, 05:50 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Kick ass man!!! I get my phone next week when my dad comes down to visit me in Colombia. Can't wait to do this once it arrives
15th November 2016, 06:05 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I was happy till I saw .. "Run "fastboot oem unlock-go" to unlock your device temporarily"
for some reason I don't get it to work like you guys do. it will give the same error as with the original firmware. Ill try but I doubt it will work for me

Its going to be pointless for me to try .. I don't understand why you guy can have temp bootloader while I cant

And yes, I am on 19s

C:\adb>fastboot oem unlock-go
FAILED (remote: oem unlock is not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.005s

C:\adb>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Device product name: [le_zl1_oversea]
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
(bootloader) Serial console enabled: false
(bootloader) Serial hw output enabled: false
(bootloader) Display panel:
OKAY [ 0.091s]
finished. total time: 0.094s
15th November 2016, 06:23 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 242

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever

I was happy till I saw .. "Run "fastboot oem unlock-go" to unlock your device temporarily"
for some reason I don't get it to work like you guys do. it will give the same error as with the original firmware. Ill try but I doubt it will work for me

Yeah I absolutely have tried like 6 different adb/fastboot's and nothing works for me either.

Not my first rodeo with annoying Windows drivers too.
15th November 2016, 07:20 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I reset it to factory.. downloaded the 19s and upgraded again .. nothing will make it to allow oem unlock

If i try to run "fastboot boot recovery_twrp.img" will it brick the phone or just wont work?

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

can you upload the "ADB/Fasboot tools" you used? maybe that is the problem but i doubt it
15th November 2016, 07:26 PM |#10  
Flag Sanford
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Just to make sure, you guys are checking "OEM Unlocking" in developer options, correct?
15th November 2016, 07:26 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,116

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever

I reset it to factory.. downloaded the 19s and upgraded again .. nothing will make it to allow oem unlock

If i try to run "fastboot boot recovery_twrp.img" will it brick the phone or just wont work?

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

can you upload the "ADB/Fasboot tools" you used? maybe that is the problem but i doubt it

It won't be the fix. If adb/fastboot recognize the devices, changing versions shouldn't work. Sorry :-/ That being said, I suppose there's no hurt in trying. FWIW this is what worked for me on my Windows 7 box:
Code:
C:\Users\dr4stic>adb version
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.36
Revision 19394af606f6-android

C:\Users\dr4stic>fastboot --version
fastboot version 19394af606f6-android
I got them by installing the Android SDK. The SDK manager indicates that my "Android SDK Platform Tools" (that the tools come from) are at version 24.0.4 and I can upgrade to revision 25.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm assuming you've set the "allow device bootloader unlocking" (or whatever it's called) in the developer settings... right?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)