FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] Install CWM or TWRP on Lenovo A850 (Root needed)

852 posts
Thanks Meter: 509

By GreatApo, Senior Member on 9th February 2014, 06:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone,
I am going to write you some simple steps to install CWM 6.0.3.4 / TWRP 2.5.0.0 recovery on your Lenovo A850.
I will be very detailed, advanced users should skip the boring stuff :P

This guide was writed based on this thread. A similar guide can be found at this thread. Look there for more info.

You will need:
- Rooted Lenovo A850 (simple guide here, not tested)
- Mobileuncle MTK Tools (GooglePlay)
- Recovery Image for A850 (CWM or TWRP)

BEFORE GOING ON, MIND THAT I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF ANYTHING HAPPENS ON YOUR PHONE.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

INSTUCTIONS:
1. Download the recovery image:
First of all we need to find out what firmware version our phone has (ROW or CN).
I can see mine looking the Baseband version (located at Settings->About phone->Version Infos->Baseband version) which is "A850.ROW.v18", so i have a ROW firmware installed. I suppose it will say something like "A850.CN.vXX" if you have a CN filmware.
If you don't know which version you own, try one. If it is the wrong version, your phone will just not boot into the recovery. Reboot the phone and install an other version.

Now we can download the right recovery image version.
- For ROW firmware download this (Mirror 1 from source thread).
(This version of CWM never worked for me, scroll down at bugs)
- For CN firmware download this (Mirror 1 from source thread).
(Downloads include both CWM and TWRP recoveries)
After downloading, extract the content (use 7zip program). You will see 3 files, we will not need the "MT6582_Android_scatter.txt" file. You can delete it or keep it if you want to flash roms in the future.

2. Move the revovery image in you SD card:
Connect your phone on your PC and mount the SD card. Now move the recovery image you want in you phone's SD card:
- For TWRP is the "recovery_TWRP_2.5.0.0.img" file
- For CWM is the "recovery_z_CWM_v6.0.3.4.img" file
(You can delete the other one after that)
When the move finishes, disconnect the phone.

3. Install Mobileuncle MTK Tools:
Open GooglePlay on your phone, search for "Mobileuncle" and install Mobileuncle MTK Tools.

4. Install recovery: (IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DO NOT PROCEED)
Open Mobileuncle MTK Tools. (You will be asked to give root permition to the app, select always yes)
Click on "Recovery Update" and the app will find the recovery image in your SD card. (in the first line, do not click any other recovery)
Click on the recovery image you selected (recovery_TWRP_2.5.0.0.img or recovery_z_CWM_v6.0.3.4.img), click OK to install recovery... wait some seconds, and then click OK to reboot into recovery.
Done! You are in the recovery
(If the phone reboots and then shutdown, the recovery.img didn't work. Try an other version.)

How to get into recovery: (2 simple ways)
- Power of your phone. Wait some second. Press the power button and bot h volume keys and not let them go until the logo appears (the phone will also vibrate). It takes up to 7 seconds to open, keep pressing the buttons until the vibration.
- With Mobileuncle MTK Tools, open it and click on "Into Recovery Mode".

Keys:
- CWM: Use volume keys and the power button to move around
- TWRP: Touch the screen, swipe etc.

Credits:
- linerty (from the Russian lenovo forum)

Bugs:
- I got an error will trying to backup (CWM ROW version), "can't mount data" . If you face this problem, better install this CWM version. It worked for me
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GreatApo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GreatApo Ad-Free

12th February 2014, 01:21 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I cant download the cwm recovery image files from given mirror. Please attach another link for the download of files.. i wish to install cwm on my a850... i have a ROW a850... and will this cwm get rid of my chinese stock recovery.. the reason why i want to install cwm is because i cant understand chinese.. thank you in advance... hope you can help me.. thanks...
14th February 2014, 12:54 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttfy21

I cant download the cwm recovery image files from given mirror.

I do not want to mirror the files since they are not my work. The links work fine, try again please

If you can't, try this file (ROW version ONLY). It is a different version, i have tested it, this is the version i am currently using. I do not remember who made it but his name is written in the recovery. Use at your own risk! I take no responsibility! :P
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatApo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GreatApo Ad-Free
14th February 2014, 01:43 PM |#4  

More
What will possibly happen when something goes wrong about installing cwm on my phone?.. will this get rid of my chinese stock recovery?... thanks again...
14th February 2014, 04:35 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttfy21

What will possibly happen when something goes wrong about installing cwm on my phone?.. will this get rid of my chinese stock recovery?

Yes it should get rid of the chinese recovery.
If something goes wrong you will probably have to install a new recovery again, nothing special, but when you mess with your phone i do not know what you may click on. I do not know how experienced each user is, somebody can delete the whole rom of his phone clicking a wrong button... and i do not want him to come back and say "you did that".
16th February 2014, 12:01 PM |#6  

More
Thumbs up
thanks sir.. i've followed all your instructions.. i have installed TWRP on my a850 successfully... However the CWM does not work... CWM was the first recovery i tried because im much familiar with it but when i enter recovery mode, TWRP is the one installed... But still, i got a new recovery which i understand... Thank you very much sir and more power to you... If you have other mods for lenovo a850, can you please share it here... Thanks Again...
21st February 2014, 01:37 PM |#7  

More
Thanks for your Tutorial, I have replaced stock recovery with TWRP successfully.

Do you have any custome ROM that can be flashed into this Lenovo A850 by using TWRP ?

I used TWRP to flash the ROM from this site xiaomi.eu/community/threads/4-2-14.23544/ , but failed (stuck at Lenovo logo at boot).
21st February 2014, 04:36 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktyong123

Thanks for your Tutorial, I have replaced stock recovery with TWRP successfully.

Do you have any custome ROM that can be flashed into this Lenovo A850 by using TWRP ?

I used TWRP to flash the ROM from this site xiaomi.eu/community/threads/4-2-14.23544/ , but failed (stuck at Lenovo logo at boot).

Even though i use CWM, the bootlogo stuck for me was not caused by the recovery.

I had the same problem. You must first install the s121 rom.
WARNING after the install you will not be able to get back just with a CWM, TWRP restore. (i believe you will have to flash the stock rom again to do so)

If you want to proceed, follow this video.
(when you click Firmware Update, wait 2-3 seconds and connect your phone WITH battery closed, that is what i couldn't do)
24th February 2014, 07:16 PM |#9  

More
hi, what is my version ?

thx

25th February 2014, 12:38 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bma034

hi, what is my version ?

I believe ROW. I think CN are the Chinese versions... i am not sure, try it
28th March 2014, 05:29 AM |#11  
Flag Shimla

More
Need help with firmware
hello bro,thanks for the nice tut,can u please send me the stock firmware of lenovo a850
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
a850, cwm, lenovo, recovery, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)