FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] ENABLE LTE-A CARRIER AGGREGATION 4G+ & UNLOCK 4G BANDS (NOOB Friendly)

171 posts
Thanks Meter: 161

By kirtikhurana, Senior Member on 20th November 2017, 06:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I successfully enabled CA 4G+ on P2.

EDIT: GUIDE on Post #3 but.... It's worth reading few things before you start

I found that Lenovo only activated default CA only in 2 bands B3+B7 & B7+B3 on Lenovo P2 (P2a42). If you want your P2 to latch on the CA deployed by your Telecom Operators, you can configure the values to get the desired result.

NOTE: P2 can only trigger CA on 2x20 MHz. (between 2 Carriers bandwidths)

Ex: In India Jio4G deployed CA on Band 3+5, Band 5+40 or Band 3+40 & also 3CA(which our P2 doesn't support) almost everywhere... WHILE airtel deployed CA in B3+B40 (not everywhere). Dont do it if you're using any operator other than Jio or Airtel in INDIA.

In EU Region B20 B3 B7 etc. are used for LTE.

Similarly in any country Operators offering LTE/4G on their certain bands must have aggregated those bands to achieve higher speed which they deploy by configuring their BTS from backends. But to achieve this on receivers side you have your device configured in the same values to use that potential.

Our P2 has SD625 coupled with X9 modem which does the job on network front, OEMs just restrict it with their software configurations.

You can use this method on any Phone with Snapdragon 625 SoC or higher...

Here you go...

Guide for enabling CA is BELOW SCROLL DOWN on Post #3 https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...46&postcount=3

Guide only costs a LIKE

Edit -
I guess Lenovo P2 needs more than just Modem configuration for enabling CA for other Bands maybe it is lacking some antenna/hardware support.
Though the same guide helped in enabling CA on Lenovo Zuk 2+.
You can give it a shot if you think your phone deserves CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171120_044044.jpg
Views:	7316
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	4337059  
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to kirtikhurana For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kirtikhurana Ad-Free

20th November 2017, 06:34 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtikhurana

I successfully enabled CA 4G+ on P2, How to upload screenshot on xda?

Oh f**k 😍

you can use any image hosting website
I'm curious to see your guide, can't wait!
20th November 2017, 06:44 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Steps to enable Carrier aggregation on Lenovo P2

PREREQUISITES:
1. Bootloader must be unlocked.
2. Phone must be rooted.
3. Stock ROM recommended for this process(custom ROMs may also enter Diag mode by dialing ####8899# on Lenovo INSTEAD of Step 7 below & Xiaomi phones also has a code to enter Diag mode)
4. Minimal ADB & Drivers (i prefer PDANet+) should be installed on PC and phones USB debugging mode must be ON. (IF you've installed Qualcomm drivers before & Your PC desktop isn't showing "Test Mode" in bottom right corner then give this command in cmd.exe (run as admin) ->>
bcdedit /set testsigning on)
Then Restart your PC.

Link for required tools for PC:
QPST: https://androiddatahost.com/w68st
QXDM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kVG...dZYO9HF94/view

NOTE: While installing these tools it is recommended to only install through "run as adminstrator" on SETUP.EXE file presented inside those folders, dont try to install via .msi or other file. For QXDM there is an information folder read it just after installing QXDM dont be in hurry to open programme just after installation.

STEPS:
1. Connect phone to PC via USB with phone in ON state.
2. Trigger USB Debugging OFF then ON again (Optional)
3. Open Minimal ADB.exe with administrator rights.
4. Type <adb devices> Your phone must be listed there.
5. Type <adb shell>
6. Type <su> You must grant SU permission in phone.

7. Type <setprop sys.usb.config rndis,diag,adb>.
You will hear beep/vibration. It means your phone entered in diagnostic mode. You can also dial *#*#717717#*#* to enter directly in diagnostic mode in Xiaomi phones. You can also search code to enter other Phone those allow to enter Diag Mode via code on Dialpads.

7A. Open QPST Configurations(as an admin.) check you phone is connected as Diagnostic mode in port tab and showing enabled.

8. Then open QXDM Professional tool(as admin.). Go through options>communications and check your phone port is selected in target port as shown in video below.

9. Click NV Browser in View section. Go to RF-LTE in category filter. (If you wanna enable additional LTE BANDS CLICK only "LTE" in category filter, SEE POST #7)

10. Below box search for RFNV LTE B(x=No.) CA BC CONFIG (you will find it at the very bottom With ID 70xxxx)

EX. For IND Jio4G B5+B3+B40 CA, find "RFNV LTE B5 CA BC CONFIG" AND click Read on right bottom. This will read default values. Type 549755813908 in INPUT and click Write to overwrite the values. By this CA will only be triggered in your Phone when you phone latch to B5 as base LTE network. (This is the stable state of CA i found on P2) YOU can also give a try by putting same or different configurations value on B3 & B40 as well(may be unstable *because mid-range phones don't support CA for all bands at antenna/hardware level)

For IND Airtel You can put 549755813892 in RFNV LTE B3 CA BC CONFIG & RFNV LTE B40 CA BC CONFIG for B3+B40.

For EU Region: For B20 B3 B7 You can write 524356 in RFNV LTE B20 CA BC CONFIG (You can also wirte same Value in RFNV LTE B3 CA BC CONFIG & RFNV LTE B7 CA BC CONFIG, it may give you network fluctuations)

Similarly you can configure CA for B3, B20, or any other Band via doing similar thing explained above in RFNV LTE B3 CA BC CONFIG , RFNV LTE B20 CA BC CONFIG or RFNV LTE B40 CA BC CONFIG and type the value to enable CA on all Bands deployed by your Telecom Operator.

10.A. Wait for half a minute, disconnect USB cable and REBOOT your phone. Wait for a minute...You will see 4G+, if 4G+ not showing It will be shown under the SIM Management settings as LTE_CA when CA is active.

NOTE: VoLTE icon might get disappeared in some stock ROMs when 4G+ icon appears to organize space better in statusbar. VoLTE will still works as before, you can check status under SIM stauts in ABOUT Phone.

11. IMP: To find the value for enabling CA between certain Bands, download LTE Band Calculator by RM Studio from Play Store. SIMPLY, select Bands of your choice and it will tell you the Decimal value to overwrite. For example, for Band 3+5 combination, it is 20.
LINK for app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lculator&hl=en

12. IF you loose LTE signals after reboot. Put you phone to airplane mode ON DO again from step 1 & get back to THE DEFAULT VALUE put by Lenovo in P2 in "RFNV LTE B3 CA BC CONFIG" & "RFNV LTE B7 CA BC CONFIG" is 68. rest write other edited RFNV LTE Bx CA BC CONFIG to 0.

Link for Visual help in working with QXDM on Youtube thanks to @nitinmits
https://youtu.be/T5fjbvip4Yc

IF you did the step 12, i can assume you got affraid very quickly Nooo.....I mean calculate the value for different configuration try & test till you find CA to stable state where no signal fluctuations happens randomly.
This is the only tricky part.

Happy to Help
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to kirtikhurana For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kirtikhurana Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 10:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
OMG. Review please.
The Following User Says Thank You to j.jeedz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift j.jeedz Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 10:49 AM |#5  
Flag Lucknow
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Omg i only rooted my P2a42 just to activate LTE-A on it... hunting for it . Please tell the process, I unlocked bootloader twrp installed & rooted. after enabling CA I'll switch to stock until a stable LOS 15 comes out.
The Following User Says Thank You to amansehdav For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amansehdav Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 12:45 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

Hell yeahh!! after experimenting CA with different bands & configurations sometimes resulted in Sim network issues (Just playing in QXDM to find a stable state) Now 4G+ is buttery smooth... I enable CA for all Jio 3 bands used in India. B3+B5 , B3+40 , B5+B3 & B5+40

I found that Lenovo only activated default CA only in 2 bands. B3+B7 & B7+B3 only for EU market leaving us Indians without gem
I enabled it for B3 B5 & B40
Our P2 owners in EU can also Enable CA for B20 config. B20 & B5 lies in 800 MHz rage & have best 4G coverage. If we pair those band with other higher Bands we can achieve more 4G speed

Thanks a lot! I hope you'll post a guide! Here in Italy B20 is used also for 4G+, so it would be amazing to enable it!

Do you think that B20 can be enabled also on P2C72, that doesn't support it?
20th November 2017, 01:24 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-1

Thanks a lot! I hope you'll post a guide! Here in Italy B20 is used also for 4G+, so it would be amazing to enable it!

Do you think that B20 can be enabled also on P2C72, that doesn't support it?

i played with CA between many configurations like in B3 -(B3+5, B3+40) in B5 (B5+3, B5+40) & put similar sum value of B3,5&40 in B40 CA config.
& found frequent fluctuations in sole 4G network Jio(India) they deployed CA in 3-4 configurations. & Found Stable CA when B5 was base network.
There are 1-2 guides for enabling CA in xda i posted links before though they're not very precise. I'm testing this & will post a detailed guide in 1-2 days
https://forum.xda-developers.com/len...o-zuk-t3702194

UNLOCKING ADDITIONAL LTE BANDS : For P2 64 GB variant you need to enable the band 20 first & also any other band that you want to enable, In simple words Download LTE Band calculator from play store & tick the bands you want to enable In the box app will show you the total value you have to put in QXDM>NV Browser>Filter--LTE > Lte bc config.>In the box below click READ on the first line> Input> put value then click write & reboot P2 ( when you write the new value, don't forget to note down the default value put by Lenovo, as for backup)
There is a very simple guide to enable LTE bands of your choise, see the video he is speaking in Hindi but you'll get the idea by watching the video https://youtu.be/GEO1UXuFLbI
If your rooted & drivers installed just skip to minimal adb step.
You need to be familiar with QPST & QXDM

I believe you can enable different bands in 64GB variant because both have same chipset & X9 modem. Lenovo just configured the value to serve Chinese telecom market requirements.

If your P2 dont latch to 4G network afterwards in rare scenario you can revert back using same steps with default value.

There is nothing to fear. If you have 64BG variant give it a try You could help many 64GB variant users.

B20 is lower frequency band & has the power to penetrate into buildings. In India we've Band 5 instead of B20, which also lies in the same 800 MHz frequency.

Happy to help
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kirtikhurana For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kirtikhurana Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 03:26 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

i played with CA between many configurations like in B3 -(B3+5, B3+40) in B5 (B5+3, B5+40) & put similar sum value of B3,5&40 in B40 CA config.
& found frequent fluctuations in sole 4G network Jio(India) they deployed CA in 3-4 configurations. & Found Stable CA when B5 was base network.
There are 1-2 guides in xda i posted links before though they're not very precise. I'm testing this & will post a detailed guide in 1-2 days
https://forum.xda-developers.com/len...o-zuk-t3702194

For P2 64 GB variant you need to enable the band 20 first & also any other band that you want to enable, In simple words Download LTE Band calculator from play store & tick the bands you want to enable In the box app will show you the total value you have to put in QXDM>NV Browser>Filter--LTE > Lte bc config. > Input> put value then click write & reboot P2 ( when you write the new value, don't forget to note down the default value put by Lenovo, as for backup)
There is a very simple guide to enable LTE bands of your choise, see the video he is speaking in Hindi but you'll get the idea by watching the video https://youtu.be/GEO1UXuFLbI
If your rooted & drivers installed just skip to minimal adb step.
You need to be familiar with QPST & QXDM

I believe you can enable different bands in 64GB variant because both have same chipset & X8 modem. Lenovo just configured the value to serve Chinese telecom market requirements.

If your P2 dont latch to 4G network afterwards in rare scenario you can revert back using same steps with default value.

There is nothing to fear. If you have 64BG variant give it a try You could help many 64GB variant users.

B20 is lower frequency band & has the power to penetrate into buildings. In India we've Band 5 instead of B20, which also lies in the same 800 MHz frequency.

Happy to help

I hope it's like you say!

I dunno if B20 works in 64gb version!

As you know, phones like OPO can support B20, but it doesn't have antenna for B20. So I don't know if B20 can be enabled!
20th November 2017, 03:39 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-1

I hope it's like you say!

I dunno if 64gb version can work with B20 enabled.

As you know, phones like OPO can support B20, but it doesn't have antenna for B20. So I don't know if B20 can be enabled!

i don't think so,, SD625 coupled with X9 modem does the job on network front, oems just restrict it with their software configurations.

There were some people on our p2 forums were asking me fews days before that you can't do anything to enable CA in Indian units. I failed some time during testing & lost signal reception, then revert back & Tried again & I did it ....

There is a whole universe in the QXDM professional programme Where you can do anything like set your preferred bands for which your phone will try to latch them first. and lots more
Until any P2c72 owner does that to enable desired bands we won't be able to know if it could actually be done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirtikhurana For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kirtikhurana Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 03:49 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi

Donate to Me
More
I think enabling 4G+ only on Band 5 as a base network gives no fluctuations & giving the same battery life dropped From 90% - 50% giving 6 hours of SOT that means it would give the same 12-13 hours of SOT on 4G data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171120-192147.jpg
Views:	2086
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	4337496  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirtikhurana For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kirtikhurana Ad-Free
21st November 2017, 07:27 AM |#11  
Flag Nenmara,Palakkad
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Will u post the value u given in LTE BC CONFIG !!?

Nd also which network u r using !?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4g+, carrier aggregation, lte-a, redmi note 4, unlock lte bands

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)