Installation: Flash zip file with any custom recovery and reboot into updated Cyanogen recovery.
Note #1: An advantage to using the official Cyanogen Recovery with CM 12 is that the Cyanogen Recovery can be automatically updated with the CM Update tool, if "update recovery" is enabled in the CM 12 developer options.
Note #2: Cyanogen Recovery *requires* properly signed flashable zip packages in order for them to pass the signature verification integrity check and complete the install process. Below is an example of how flashable zip file packages must be signed in order to pass the verification integrity check within the Cyanogen Recovery:
java -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 GApps.zip GApps-signed.zip
Manual Installation (first time installing custom recovery):
1) Gain root permission (ie; with Stumproot) and install SuperSU and Busybox.
2) Install Terminal Emulator or use ADB for opening up a shell (this example is using ADB).
Note: If using Terminal Emulator, make sure root access is given via SuperSU.
3) Download Cyanogen Recovery installation zip file from the link above and manually extract it. Also, download the loki_tool binary from https://github.com/djrbliss/loki/archive/master.zip. The loki_tool binary is found in the "bin" folder of loki-master.zip after the file is extracted.
4) Copy recovery.img (contained in the Cyanogen Recovery installation zip file from step #3) and the loki_tool binary (contained in the loki-master.zip file from step #3) to /data/local/tmp on your LG G Pad 8.3 v500 tablet with either ADB or a root explorer application and make loki_tool executable.
adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp adb push loki_tool /data/local/tmp adb shell su chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_tool
5) Patch the recovery.img into recovery.lok using loki_tool:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local/tmp/aboot.img /data/local/tmp/loki_tool patch recovery /data/local/tmp/aboot.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok
Note #2: If recovery.lok is created successfully without any errors or warnings, then continue with the final step. The shell should still be open with root (su) permissions enabled from the previous steps.
6) Flash recovery.lok file with loki_tool and reboot to new custom recovery.
/data/local/tmp/loki_tool flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok exit exit adb reboot recovery