Installation: Flash zip file with any custom recovery and reboot into updated CWM recovery.
Note: An advantage to using the official CWM recovery with CM 11 is that the CWM recovery can be automatically updated with the CM Update tool, if enabled in the CM 11 developer options.
Manual Installation (first time installing custom recovery):
1) Gain root permission (ie; with Stumproot) and install SuperSU and Busybox.
2) Install Terminal Emulator or use ADB for opening up a shell (this example is using ADB).
Note: If using Terminal Emulator, make sure root access is given via SuperSU.
3) Download CWM installation zip file from the link above and manually extract it. Also, download the loki_tool binary from https://github.com/djrbliss/loki/archive/master.zip. The loki_tool binary is found in the "bin" folder of loki-master.zip after the file is extracted.
4) Copy recovery.img (contained in the CWM installation zip file from step #3) and the loki_tool binary (contained in the loki-master.zip file from step #3) to /data/local/tmp on your LG G Pad 8.3 v500 tablet with either ADB or a root explorer application and make loki_tool executable.
adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp adb push loki_tool /data/local/tmp adb shell su chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_tool
5) Patch the recovery.img into recovery.lok using loki_tool:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local/tmp/aboot.img /data/local/tmp/loki_tool patch recovery /data/local/tmp/aboot.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok
Note #2: If recovery.lok is created successfully without any errors or warnings, then continue with the final step. The shell should still be open with root (su) permissions enabled from the previous steps.
6) Flash recovery.lok file with loki_tool and reboot to new custom recovery.
/data/local/tmp/loki_tool flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok exit exit adb reboot recovery