[Recovery] [v500] CWM 6.0.5.1

Search This thread

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
ClockworkMod recovery (6.0.5.1) for LG G Pad 8.3 v500. This custom recovery installation package is for v500 models only. Built from source on 2014-12-13 by Jenkins.

Installation: Flash zip file with any custom recovery and reboot into updated CWM recovery.

Link: v500-CWM-6.0.5.1-20141213-recovery-signed.zip

MD5: 83150942a4f27006691472fa12159631

Note: An advantage to using the official CWM recovery with CM 11 is that the CWM recovery can be automatically updated with the CM Update tool, if enabled in the CM 11 developer options.

Manual Installation (first time installing custom recovery):

1) Gain root permission (ie; with Stumproot) and install SuperSU and Busybox.

2) Install Terminal Emulator or use ADB for opening up a shell (this example is using ADB).

Note: If using Terminal Emulator, make sure root access is given via SuperSU.

3) Download CWM installation zip file from the link above and manually extract it. Also, download the loki_tool binary from https://github.com/djrbliss/loki/archive/master.zip. The loki_tool binary is found in the "bin" folder of loki-master.zip after the file is extracted.

4) Copy recovery.img (contained in the CWM installation zip file from step #3) and the loki_tool binary (contained in the loki-master.zip file from step #3) to /data/local/tmp on your LG G Pad 8.3 v500 tablet with either ADB or a root explorer application and make loki_tool executable.
Code:
adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp

adb push loki_tool /data/local/tmp

adb shell

su

chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/loki_tool
Note: Since the command "su" was entered, the shell has root permissions to proceed.

5) Patch the recovery.img into recovery.lok using loki_tool:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local/tmp/aboot.img

/data/local/tmp/loki_tool patch recovery /data/local/tmp/aboot.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok
Note #1: At this point in the installation procedure, there have been no permanent changes to the system. If there is an error or warning while patching recovery.img and creating recovery.lok, then stop this manual installation procedure. In most cases, the problem is that the version of aboot.img found on the device is probably not exploitable with loki_tool. This manual custom recovery installation procedure must be started over again from the beginning after flashing a loki exploitable aboot.img to the device (downgrading firmware should help).

Note #2: If recovery.lok is created successfully without any errors or warnings, then continue with the final step. The shell should still be open with root (su) permissions enabled from the previous steps.

6) Flash recovery.lok file with loki_tool and reboot to new custom recovery.
Code:
/data/local/tmp/loki_tool flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok

exit

exit

adb reboot recovery

Last edited:

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
Updated CWM to 20141120 sources.

sr: Fix vsync logic

* Use CLOCK_MONOTONIC to insulate from system clock changes.
* Normalize all timespec calculations to avoid overflow/underflow.
* Don't signal vsync if poll() fails.
Change-Id: If284ebf581309953c51b2f8d33d7d5800c636be5

sr: Fix screen flashing during wipe operations

* Clear buffer in draw_progress_locked() and always call this in
update_progress_locked(). This is necessary to ensure that all
backing frames in the graphics implementation get updated because
we aren't guaranteed to have any particular number of backing
frames.
* Remove dialogs on wipe operations since we are using the progress
animation now.
* Set progress indicator after showing "Formatting" text to avoid
momentary flicker.
Change-Id: I240d3b8e5c741c9f3ea4e5e17c1b9593e053888a

sr: Only use 4 items on wipe confirmation screens

* Large fonts in Touch UI prevent more than about 7 menu lines.
Change-Id: If523a85d67460c0ac4e012727d946eadb9c68436

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
Hi,
I have tried this method and get an "unable to find" error as regard loki, seen in this picture i took.
I have placed both recovery.img and loki_tool as from your download links in data/local/tmp folder on lg
Where am i going wrong?
Thank you

adberror_zpsc75af411.jpg

Last edited:

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
When you type "adb shell" to open a connection, wait for the shell to open before typing "su". You will then notice that the terminal says "root" as the user. Make sure you have "dd" installed (this comes with installing Busybox). You can tell if dd is installed by typing "which dd" in the shell. If it returns with a path to dd, then it's there. I also noticed that you tried to chmod loki_tool before you have typed su to gain root. You only need to type su one time to get root permissions in the shell. You can tell it is using root because it shows you as the root user at the command prompt.

Last edited:

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
I am sorry for my dumbness, but i am new to this and not a clue what you are talking about lol.
I never typed su as i followed this procedure on youtube and copy and pasted your text.

I am trying to understand this adb method, but a noob tut is not available, thus trying anyway to get it to work obviously without success lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXX-YdhRU0
Best wishes

Tsjoklat

Apr 5, 2010
ADB needs root access in developer options. Attached screenshot.

Last edited:

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
I am sorry for my dumbness, but i am new to this and not a clue what you are talking about lol.
I never typed su as i followed this procedure on youtube and copy and pasted your text.

I am trying to understand this adb method, but a noob tut is not available, thus trying anyway to get it to work obviously without success lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXX-YdhRU0
Best wishes
You are getting an unable to find error because you typed the name incorrectly (it is loki_tool not loki_tooldd). Be very careful that everything is exactly the same as the guide.

Edit: Also, when you type a command in ADB shell, wait for the command to finish before you type the next command. You can enter the next command in ADB when the prompt comes back.

Edit 2: After typing "adb shell", you only need to type "su" one time as long as you don't close the window.

Last edited:

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
I think f2fs support is not default for stock CM kernel. There aren't any customizations on this. This is from Jenkins.

Zeljko1234

May 7, 2010
Stockholm
Currently I'm using LP AOSP. Afaik, only LP available. On my Razr HD f2fs and CM12 works just great. Definitely noticeable faster with f2fs.

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
I have just noticed the loki-tooldd, i am positive i did not type that i,.e the dd on the end.
But i will again tomorrow, test this and come back with any results.
I am also never once typing SU, i assume the program is doing it automatically.
I will test and post pics also.
Thank you

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
I have just noticed the loki-tooldd, i am positive i did not type that i,.e the dd on the end.
But i will again tomorrow, test this and come back with any results.
I am also never once typing SU, i assume the program is doing it automatically.
I will test and post pics also.
Thank you

I dont think ADB is working correctly for you because you are not getting the correct responses when you enter commands. It seems like your system is "hanging" when you enter commands in the adb shell.

Maybe you should try these commands in a Terminal Emulator shell instead of using an ADB shell. You will just need to install an extra root reboot application from Play Store so that you can easily reboot into the new recovery when you are finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingchundub

Wingchundub

Mar 6, 2012
I dont think ADB is working correctly for you because you are not getting the correct responses when you enter commands. It seems like your system is "hanging" when you enter commands in the adb shell.

Maybe you should try these commands in a Terminal Emulator shell instead of using an ADB shell. You will just need to install an extra root reboot application from Play Store so that you can easily reboot into the new recovery when you are finished.

Thank you for you advice.
With terminal, I tried and copied the text provided, again gave same me errors and also the su and dd were there without me typing them.
It is coming to the point where i am giving up now as taking too much of my time.
Both are rooted and at least i can remove bloatware with root explorer etc and put my own stuff in, but would be nice to get this done and use custom roms, but simply not happening. @Tsjoklat, i do not see that option in developer options fella, checked 4 times to be sure.
Thank you loads fella, your a star and very helpful

Last edited:

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
This version of CWM uses "swipe" gestures, but it isn't full touch. These versions of CWM are the official nightly builds. I was able to download the artifacts before they were removed for the next build in queue. Although, I plan on setting up a private build system pretty soon.

leardinet

Oct 14, 2010
where am I wrong ???

HTML:
C:\Fastboot>adb devices
List of devices attached
07e7df499159c818        device

C:\Fastboot>adb shell
shell@awifi:/ $ su
su
root@awifi:/ # adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5038 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found
1|root@awifi:/ #

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
where am I wrong ???

HTML:
C:\Fastboot>adb devicesList of devices attached07e7df499159c818        deviceC:\Fastboot>adb shellshell@awifi:/ $ susuroot@awifi:/ # adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmpadb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5038 ** daemon started successfully *error: device not found1|root@awifi:/ #
It's out of order. First use adb to push the files, then use adb to open the shell.

leardinet

Oct 14, 2010
It's out of order. First use adb to push the files, then use adb to open the shell.

HTML:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb push recovery.img /data/loca
l/tmp
cannot stat 'recovery.img': No such file or directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb push loki_tool /data/local/t
mp
cannot stat 'loki_tool': No such file or directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell

su

su

shell@awifi:/ $
shell@awifi:/ $ su
the files recovery.img and loki_tool copied in the data/local/tmp/ with ES File explorer
busybox installed

Deltadroid

Recognized Contributor
Apr 19, 2013
Your log says that you first typed "adb shell" and then you tried to use "adb push" inside the shell. Commands that begin with "adb" do not work when you are inside the "Adb shell".

Type "exit" inside the shell to close it and then "adb push" commands will work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ClockworkMod recovery (6.0.5.1) for LG G Pad 8.3 v500. This custom recovery installation package is for v500 models only. Built from source on 2014-12-13 by Jenkins.

Installation: Flash zip file with any custom recovery and reboot into updated CWM recovery.

Link: v500-CWM-6.0.5.1-20141213-recovery-signed.zip

MD5: 83150942a4f27006691472fa12159631

Note: An advantage to using the official CWM recovery with CM 11 is that the CWM recovery can be automatically updated with the CM Update tool, if enabled in the CM 11 developer options.

Manual Installation (first time installing custom recovery):

1) Gain root permission (ie; with Stumproot) and install SuperSU and Busybox.

2) Install Terminal Emulator or use ADB for opening up a shell (this example is using ADB).

Note: If using Terminal Emulator, make sure root access is given via SuperSU.

3) Download CWM installation zip file from the link above and manually extract it. Also, download the loki_tool binary from https://github.com/djrbliss/loki/archive/master.zip. The loki_tool binary is found in the "bin" folder of loki-master.zip after the file is extracted.

4) Copy recovery.img (contained in the CWM installation zip file from step #3) and the loki_tool binary (contained in the loki-master.zip file from step #3) to /data/local/tmp on your LG G Pad 8.3 v500 tablet with either ADB or a root explorer application and make loki_tool executable.
    Code:

adb push loki_tool /data/local/tmp

adb shell

su

Note: Since the command "su" was entered, the shell has root permissions to proceed.

5) Patch the recovery.img into recovery.lok using loki_tool:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/data/local/tmp/aboot.img

/data/local/tmp/loki_tool patch recovery /data/local/tmp/aboot.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok
    Note #1: At this point in the installation procedure, there have been no permanent changes to the system. If there is an error or warning while patching recovery.img and creating recovery.lok, then stop this manual installation procedure. In most cases, the problem is that the version of aboot.img found on the device is probably not exploitable with loki_tool. This manual custom recovery installation procedure must be started over again from the beginning after flashing a loki exploitable aboot.img to the device (downgrading firmware should help).

Note #2: If recovery.lok is created successfully without any errors or warnings, then continue with the final step. The shell should still be open with root (su) permissions enabled from the previous steps.

6) Flash recovery.lok file with loki_tool and reboot to new custom recovery.
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/loki_tool flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.lok

exit

exit

adb reboot recovery
    The new versions of LG Tool won't let you downgrade because the program checks for the latest firmware version to install. There is another version of LG Tool that does allow for downgrading firmware here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2797190

Now you just need to get the kdz file to install here:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13296
    Updated CWM to 20141120 sources.

sr: Fix vsync logic

* Use CLOCK_MONOTONIC to insulate from system clock changes.
    * Normalize all timespec calculations to avoid overflow/underflow.
    * Don't signal vsync if poll() fails.
    Change-Id: If284ebf581309953c51b2f8d33d7d5800c636be5

sr: Fix screen flashing during wipe operations

* Clear buffer in draw_progress_locked() and always call this in
    update_progress_locked(). This is necessary to ensure that all
    backing frames in the graphics implementation get updated because
    we aren't guaranteed to have any particular number of backing
    frames.
    * Remove dialogs on wipe operations since we are using the progress
    animation now.
    * Set progress indicator after showing "Formatting" text to avoid
    momentary flicker.
    Change-Id: I240d3b8e5c741c9f3ea4e5e17c1b9593e053888a

sr: Only use 4 items on wipe confirmation screens

* Large fonts in Touch UI prevent more than about 7 menu lines.
    Change-Id: If523a85d67460c0ac4e012727d946eadb9c68436
    Today I have been testing out the new Cyanogen Recovery (formerly known as ClockWorkMod) from the lollipop branch. I was going to create a new thread but there are still a few show stoppers.

1) can not disable signature verification so nothing can be flashed except official cm packages.
    2) can not make backups yet.

I will keep close watch on the code and open a thread as soon as it is ready for prime time. In the mean time, attached is a screenshot of what is to come...
    EDIT: My bad got it work. Thanks