FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Depreciated][GUIDE] how to root US LG G Stylo on 5.1.1 and unbrick :) updated on 9/2

3,543 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,590

Post Reply Email Thread
It has come to my attention that this will not work on latest OTA so please only use this if you have the mentioned android number...and I moved on to a LG G3

Attention if you try this and end up with a brick or your device transforms and tries to destroy you; it's not my fault you did this not me. So just read all of this thread not just the O.P to get out of a bind if you reply with "the thread is too long i wont read it please help" don't expect anything short of "there's a search bar use it"

Attention If you bricked via trying to root with the 5.0.2 method on 5.1.1 then just run what is below and you will have a fully working and rooted Stylo

Hello there I and Unjustified Dev have figured out how to root this puppy with the help of a video on YouTube so please read carefully and copy carefully ! (Thanks @Newyork! for helping me clean up my OP)
  1. Make sure you have a Windows PC
  2. Download the LG Drivers from here:
  3. Reboot your device into download mode (press and hold volume up and connect to a power source at the same time)
  4. Download this folder and unzip it to your desktop:
  5. Run ports.bat from within the extracted folder, to find your correct port (use the one with: LGVZANDNETDIAG1)
  6. In the LG_Root folder hold shift and right click and choose open command windows here
  7. Type
    Code:
    Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox  /tmp/busybox
    (Make sure your COM port number is correct, it varies)
    it will then give you a message for example:

C:\Users\juan\Desktop\LG_Root>Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox /tmp/busybox
    Author : blog.lvu.kr
    File : busybox
    Path : /tmp/busybox

UNLK : FAIL
    OPEN : OPEN
    TOT FileSize : 1048328

SendStart
    WRTE : WRTE1048328byte sent

CLSE: CLSE

8. Now type
    Code:
    Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 lg_root.sh  /tmp/lg_root.sh
    (same deal as before)
  9. Now type
    Code:
    Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip  /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
  10. Now type
    Code:
    Send_Command.exe \\.\COM11
  11. Now type the following
    Code:
    ls tmp
    which will result in:
    #ls tmp
    FAIL
  12. type again
    Code:
    ls tmp
    And you will get the following
    UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    busybox
    lg_root.sh
  13. Now type
    Code:
    sh /tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /tmp/busybox
    which should give you:
    ui_print *****************
    ui_print SuperSU installer
    ui_print *****************
    ui_print - Mounting /system, /data and rootfs
    ui_print - Extracting files
    Archive: /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    inflating: META-INF/CERT.SF
    inflating: META-INF/CERT.RSA
    inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
    inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
    inflating: arm/chattr
    inflating: arm/chattr.pie
    inflating: arm/libsupol.so
    inflating: arm/su
    inflating: arm/supolicy
    inflating: arm64/libsupol.so
    inflating: arm64/su
    inflating: arm64/supolicy
    inflating: armv7/chattr.pie
    inflating: armv7/libsupol.so
    inflating: armv7/su
    inflating: armv7/supolicy
    inflating: common/99SuperSUDaemon
    inflating: common/Superuser.apk
    inflating: common/install-recovery.sh
    inflating: mips/chattr.pie
    inflating: mips/libsupol.so
    inflating: mips/su
    inflating: mips/supolicy
    inflating: mips64/libsupol.so
    inflating: mips64/su
    inflating: mips64/supolicy
    inflating: x64/libsupol.so
    inflating: x64/su
    inflating: x64/supolicy
    inflating: x86/chattr
    inflating: x86/chattr.pie
    inflating: x86/libsupol.so
    inflating: x86/su
    inflating: x86/supolicy
    ui_print - Disabling OTA survival
    ui_print - Removing old files
    ui_print - Placing files
    ui_print - Post-installation script
    ui_print - Unmounting /system and /data
    ui_print - Done !
  14. Type
    Code:
    LEAVE
    and press enter and let your device reboot
  15. Don't brick your device now that you have root

edit: works on all known US Variants don't know about the Canadian or European ones (and cricket apparently)....
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to Ainz_Ooal_Gown For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ainz_Ooal_Gown Ad-Free

23rd August 2015, 04:24 AM |#2  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 2,522

Donate to Me
More
@6th_Hokage
i was just talking about this with @Unjustified Dev over Hangouts and seems the same process for T-Mobile / Metro as well so will be cool if that Title is edited for T-Mobile and Metro as well....

P.S. ill be testing process as soon i KDZ my stylo (Tmo) and proceed with TWRP (Custom Recovery) for T-mobile/Metro so you can edit OP with those steps and have a Universal Thread for all Stylos
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrakenFX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrakenFX Ad-Free
23rd August 2015, 05:04 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Osos
Thanks Meter: 1,590

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakenFX

@6th_Hokage
i was just talking about this with @Unjustified Dev over Hangouts and seems the same process for T-Mobile / Metro as well so will be cool if that Title is edited for T-Mobile and Metro as well....

P.S. ill be testing process as soon i KDZ my stylo (Tmo) and proceed with TWRP (Custom Recovery) for T-mobile/Metro so you can edit OP with those steps and have a Universal Thread for all Stylos

Okay for sure just want some to try it first
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ainz_Ooal_Gown For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ainz_Ooal_Gown Ad-Free
23rd August 2015, 06:26 AM |#4  
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_Hokage

Okay for sure just want some to try it first

0k I CAN confirm that ROOT and TWRP (Custom Recovery) for T-MOBILE is a GO and pretty sure same for METRO (Thanks @Unjustified Dev)

PS. i flash latest KDZ v10i and procced with Root after that i Enable OEM Unlock to flash the Custom Recovery (TWRP 2.8.7.0) with FLashify........

PSS. Because i had a Backup i Restored and got everything back again and no need to reinstall everything again

EDIT 1 - Seems like if we TMO/METRO user want to access Custom Recovery the OEM Unlock must be check all the time @Unjustified Dev is this always this way or there us a way around? cuz when is Uncheck gives:
"Secure Boot error"
" Error Code 1003 "
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrakenFX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrakenFX Ad-Free
23rd August 2015, 01:09 PM |#5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Memphis , TN
Thanks Meter: 13,186

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

0k I CAN confirm that ROOT and TWRP (Custom Recovery) for T-MOBILE is a GO and pretty sure same for METRO (Thanks @Unjustified Dev)

PS. i flash latest KDZ v10i and procced with Root after that i Enable OEM Unlock to flash the Custom Recovery (TWRP 2.8.7.0) with FLashify........

PSS. Because i had a Backup i Restored and got everything back again and no need to reinstall everything again

EDIT 1 - Seems like if we TMO/METRO user want to access Custom Recovery the OEM Unlock must be check all the time @Unjustified Dev is this always this way or there us a way around? cuz when is Uncheck gives:
"Secure Boot error"
" Error Code 1003 "

It's line an on/off switch your locking and unlocking your bootloader there's no workaround and it can only be done on stock ROM.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Unjustified Dev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2015, 01:15 PM |#6  
Flag Auburndale, FL
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

"Secure Boot error"
" Error Code 1003 "

i CAN USE fLASHIFY TO FLASH TWRP ON MY ROOTED 5.1.1 sTYLO?

Louie
23rd August 2015, 01:34 PM |#7  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 356

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarisy

Louie

Yes you can use flashify, but i dont know what TWRP to use. Im trying different ones
The Following User Says Thank You to southphillysean For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift southphillysean Ad-Free
23rd August 2015, 01:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sorheim For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sorheim Ad-Free
23rd August 2015, 01:56 PM |#9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Memphis , TN
Thanks Meter: 13,186

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by southphillysean

Yes you can use flashify, but i dont know what TWRP to use. Im trying different ones

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347766806
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unjustified Dev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2015, 02:10 PM |#10  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 356

More
Im on tmobile 5.1.1 outta box and everything worked great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southphillysean For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift southphillysean Ad-Free
23rd August 2015, 02:59 PM |#11  
Flag Los Angeles

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarisy

Louie

Just FYI and for everyone else .... CURRENT Custom Recovery (TWRP) is ONLY for T-Mobile & Metro..... If you don't have Tmo/Metro sorry.
Yes Flashify is been use to flash custom recovery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg-g-stylo

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)