!!! PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE PROCEEDING !!!
NOTE: Public M Beta: See downloads below.
My goal for this application was to create a more flexible camera solution for LG phones. The camera hardware itself is very capable, but LG didn't necessarily take full advantage of it with their software. This app extends the capabilities of the camera and offers increased control/quality.
- For instructions on using the XCam LG Settings donation app, see the 2nd post.
- This is ONLY for stock or stock-based firmware (the version of Android that LG provides).
- Make sure you have turned on the option for "Unknown Sources" under Settings > General > Security.
- Download the latest version of XCam LG to your phone that corresponds to your Android version (links below). When the download has finished, pull down your notification tray and select the file. If you can't find it, go to "Downloads" listed in your app drawer and select the file from there. This will start the install process.
- XCam LG - Android 4.4.x (KK)
- XCam LG - Android 5.0.x (LP)
- XCam LG - Android 6.0.x (MM)
- XCam LG - Android 6.0.x (MM) - Flashable zip for rooted users that want sd card access
- If you wish to support development and gain additional functionality, you can purchase the XCam LG Settings app from the play store HERE. For details on the options within this companion app, see the 2nd post.
- Due to changes Google made STARTING with Android 4.4.x, saving to external storage (your sdcard) is impossible without reverting the change. Fortunately, this is very easy provided you have root access. If you want to make the change yourself manually, HERE's a good explanation. You can also download NextApp's SDFix from the play store that automates the change.
- Why won't XCam 6.x install on my device?
- If you're running ART on Android 4.4.x, XCam 6.x won't work. In order to make XCam compatible with the official ART included with Android 5.0.x, changes were needed that make it incompatible with the unofficial/beta implementation included with KitKat. XCam 6.x will work perfectly with the official KitKat runtime (dalvik), however. If you want to run ART on KitKat, you can still use the latest 5.x branch apk.
- I'm using L...where did the LiveEffect video and Shot & Clear photo modes go?
- LG removed support framework for these modes from their L firmware. If you want them back, feel free to contact them.
- Will this work on AOSP?
- No. This camera requires framework/driver support that is only in the stock LG firmware.
- Will you ever make it work on AOSP?
- Though I won't say "never", I will say it's highly unlikely. Asking this question repeatedly makes it less likely.
- Why doesn't my screen turn on with the Vol- longpress when this is the default camera app?
- This is due to LG hard-coding the package reference in their framework. XCam LG itself has the capability but your firmware will need to be modified to point to the new package. I have given some of the details on what to look for HERE.
- Why are the 60 and 120 fps video modes darker?
- This is due to the nature of light & photography. An increase in frame rate means a faster effective shutter speed...which also means less light getting to the sensor per frame.
- Why doesn't the 60 fps video mode always shoot at 60 fps?
- LG's camera driver decides when the ambient lighting is high enough to allow 60fps. All the camera app can do is request it, so it's out of my control.
- Why don't I have a saturation slider in the settings app?
- As mentioned in the settings app's play store description, this is only available with the stock G2 camera driver. LG removed this capability from the G Pro 2 and the G3.
- Why are the icons overlapping/misaligned and why is the preview not filling the whole screen?
- This is because you changed the default screen density/dpi for your device, which throws off the UI layout. To resolve this, you can either use the freely available App Settings xposed module to force XCam to stock (640) or modify the apk yourself using the files I have posted here as a guide. I will not be supporting these mods, however, so do not ask questions about how to make the changes or use apktool in the thread.
- Gather as much information as possible on how to reproduce the issue.
- If the application is force closing, get a full logcat that shows the error/problem. Here is an excellent tutorial on how to make one. There are also apps such as SysLog available in the play store that allow you to capture this on your device.
- Post very clear/exact steps to reproduce the problem along with logs here. If you don't have either, post in the Q & A thread.
- fix DualCam FC on KK
- fix DNG conv for GPro2/LGL22
- fix GPro2 LED FC
- fix G2 LP AutoFlash FC
- add Rule of 3rds grid toggle
- add Max Screen Lux toggle
- add Touch Shutter toggle (like tap-to-focus/shoot in stock G3 camera)
- low batt check off
- G3 front camera Beauty
- NR on/off for more modes (device-dependent)
- Auto HDR/Night in IA shot mode for G3 series
- Official LG Android L compatibility
- UI refresh and new icons (thanks @60nine !!!)
- Gesture selfie for front camera
- revert :: bump 60fps min rate higher in low-light (caused problems in certain luminance conditions)
- fix UHD mode missing from stock g2 + 4kUHD version
- NEW:: w10m video snapshot in 1080p/720p 30fps modes
- NEW:: manual focus in HDR, Burst, Panorama, Shot/Clear modes
- NEW:: bump 60fps min rate higher in low-light
- removed unused code/permissions (fix vs98511c & L crashes)
- fix HDR edge glitch for G3
- Add Shot and Clear photo mode
- Slightly improved quality in a few shot modes
- BugFix: FC when selecting Help in Photo mode
- Bypass Video mode popup for Sprint users
- Added support for the LG G3
- Redesigned icon
- Support for XCam LG Settings donation app (available in Play Store)
- Control Jpeg Compression Level (Quality), Contrast, Saturation (stock G2 camera driver only) and Sharpness.
- Control minimum shutter speed for Burst Shot, Intelligent Auto, Night, Normal and Sports photo modes.
- Control other camera features such as the audio noise Gate, automatic night mode, focus Lock/video recording sounds, etc.
- Sports mode now set at min 1/30 shutter speed
- Initial release of completely new app
- NEW Lightframe/flash mode for front camera
- NEW Sports mode revamped
- Set at min 1/24 shutter speed
- For now, if you don't open the camera in Sports mode, you will need to toggle between IA mode and back to Sports to enable this faster shutter (you can also toggle between video and back)
- Normal mode now bypasses the automatic switch to night mode in low light (and the corresponding multi-frame smoothed/nr photo).
- Improved image quality across the board
Special Thanks To:
- Brut.all & iBotPeaches - apktool
- JesusFreke - smali/baksmali
- 60nine - for the excellent icons and banner
- troopii - for the color matrices and commiseration
Please provide any feedback pertaining to bugs or feature requests as I'll be actively working on this project.
Devs: Due to the fact that this mod is available as a normal apk install, there is no need for and I do not authorize it to be included in ANY roms/firmware. It just creates confusion for people installing it and fragments bug reporting and feature requests. You can direct them to this thread to install the latest version. Though it should go without saying, I do not approve of any use/copying of the code/methods contained herein for your own app/mod.
XCam LG, Device Specific App for the LG G3
Current Stable Version: 6.2.4
Stable Release Date: 2014-09-10
Last Updated 2016-02-16