FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] How to Keep Android System Drain Minimal - Battery Life Boost

1,553 posts
Thanks Meter: 719

By JokerAce, Senior Member on 14th April 2015, 05:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Good Day all,

I have benefitted greatly from Google and XDA. So I thought I would provide a consolidated way of saving our battery's grace from Android System demonic drain.
I am running Euphoria with Furnace, and I had loads of Gapps installed.

I tried multiple attempts over a 3 days period and did many researches back and forth. And it came down to these few main culprits:
1. Android Location Services
2. Google Play Services
3. Qualcomm Location Services
4. Google Now Launcher
5. Unwanted Sync

Tools I have used to assist in this matter.
1. Disable Service - here
2. Greenify
3. Privacy Guard (should be in built in most custom roms)
4. Titanium Backup

Basically the highest causing drain came from Google Play Services and Qualcomm Location Services. These items persistently wakes the phone up and runs on the background. Using greenify on there further cause issues as greenify tries to hibernate these services over and over again, making this a self-made draining routine.

I followed this thread on Google Play Services drain fix and used the Privacy Guard to perform those tricks. I ran through ALL Google Related Apps and as long as "Keep Awake", "Wake up" or "Auto Start" is enabled, I disabled them. I also look through apps I suspect were waking phone up by looking at the last activation of those events (Keep Awake, Wake Up, Auto Start).

Next I followed this thread on Guide to disable google play internal services using Disable Service app. I also took the opportunity to look at both 3rd party apps and system apps to see if there are services that could be disabled. I disabled Apex Notifier as I realize I didn't needed its service.

Then the next sneaky culprit was the Qualcomm Location Services. Even though I froze them with Titanium Backup, they persist in the system. So making a backup of them, I uninstalled them completely. Hasn't caused me any issue with GPS or Maps. They are namely, com.qualcomm.location and com.qualcomm.services.location. Both appeared as LocationServices 1.0 on Titanium Backup.

I went ahead to Greenify many Google Apps, namely Google App, Google Play Store, Google Services Framework, Google+. I also Greenify many apps that Greenify suggested would slow system down or appear to run in the background which I have no use for.

Lastly I uninstalled Google Now Launcher as it was persistently coming up as alternative home launcher even though I froze it. And I also went through settings of apps to make sure sync were turn off. I only kept Calender and Contacts and Gmail Sync on.

Now I have reduced Android System from 34% to 2% and increased my SOT from 2++ hours to 4++ hours at least. Not an out of earth SOT, but I believe that's decent.

Hope I helped and I wish you all the best in your endeavour to reduce Android System Drain. Cheers.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to JokerAce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JokerAce Ad-Free

14th April 2015, 10:58 PM |#2  
Flag Izmir
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
Thanks bro
Will try and give feedback asap
15th April 2015, 11:56 AM |#3  
Flag Krakow
Thanks Meter: 6,015

Donate to Me
More
Suscribed, Rated, and Thanked.

I didn't had time to do any research on this, and this thread appeared on the right time.

Thanks
15th April 2015, 05:25 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Teleporting..

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxxx

Suscribed, Rated, and Thanked.

I didn't had time to do any research on this, and this thread appeared on the right time.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by metuncc

Will try and give feedback asap

Your feedbacks will be appreciated. It works for me and I hope it works for you. And hopefully help many others that face our problem. Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to JokerAce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JokerAce Ad-Free
19th April 2015, 01:15 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I can't seem to find App Ops anywhere..

Edit: found it by the name "Access lock" but there is no google play services in there..
21st April 2015, 04:13 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Teleporting..

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestest609

I can't seem to find App Ops anywhere..

Edit: found it by the name "Access lock" but there is no google play services in there..

It should be found in settings page, "Privacy".
21st April 2015, 05:24 PM |#7  
Flag Razgrad
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
I know that this guide is meant for CM based ROMs but I said to myself "ehh, what the hell" and I tried it on my Cloudy 2.2 and the results were horrible. Had to fully charge my device twice in order to go through 22 hours and a total of 2h of screen on time which consisted mostly of browsing and messaging. Wakelock Detector told me that the device was mostly asleep and everything was normal in the Batter Usage menu. Usually I get around 18-20h on a full charge with 2,5-3h SoT. Maybe the locations tweeks were not liked by my Tasker app and caused a huge battery drain, although it didn't appear that much as a wakelock trigger.

I am wondering if the problem was caused by Tasker or the stock ROM itself, but badly I do not have the time now to tweak around and I am reverting back to my previous configuration.
22nd April 2015, 10:08 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Teleporting..

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelclaw

I know that this guide is meant for CM based ROMs but I said to myself "ehh, what the hell" and I tried it on my Cloudy 2.2 and the results were horrible. Had to fully charge my device twice in order to go through 22 hours and a total of 2h of screen on time which consisted mostly of browsing and messaging. Wakelock Detector told me that the device was mostly asleep and everything was normal in the Batter Usage menu. Usually I get around 18-20h on a full charge with 2,5-3h SoT. Maybe the locations tweeks were not liked by my Tasker app and caused a huge battery drain, although it didn't appear that much as a wakelock trigger.

I am wondering if the problem was caused by Tasker or the stock ROM itself, but badly I do not have the time now to tweak around and I am reverting back to my previous configuration.

Try using GSam battery monitor to find out the real culprit. I used that to boil down to the final two irritants - Qualcomm LocationServices.
24th April 2015, 08:15 AM |#9  
Flag Razgrad
Thanks Meter: 7

Donate to Me
More
Really enjoying the app.
Here are the screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fvzvyvdsf...OjpqnXaFcATbaa
25th April 2015, 09:34 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Teleporting..

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelclaw

Really enjoying the app.
Here are the screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fvzvyvdsf...OjpqnXaFcATbaa

Kernel OS issue I am not too sure what issues are they. The issues I had was high Android OS drain.
The Following User Says Thank You to JokerAce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JokerAce Ad-Free
1st May 2015, 06:34 PM |#11  
Flag You don't wanna know.....
Thanks Meter: 9,630

Donate to Me
More
@JokerAce my friend ...nice to see you posting useful advice ....gonna grab it ...especially qualcomm service....thanks mate

/LG-G3/d-855/16Gb/Titanium Black/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android system, battery drain, drain, google play services

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)