FORUMS

View Poll Results: Do you hear buzzing / interference sound during calls on 2G/GSM mode ?

another G3, I hear this intereference on 2G

3 Vote(s)
11.11%
another G3, the sound during call is crystal clear

0 Vote(s)
0%
D855 and I hear this intereference sound on GSM/2G

15 Vote(s)
55.56%
D855 and the sound during call is crystal clear

9 Vote(s)
33.33%

[Q] Is the LG G3 - D855 faulty ? (Buzzing / Interference sound during calls)

1,338 posts
Thanks Meter: 493

By shaarky, Senior Member on 8th October 2014, 07:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Can you do me a favor please ?

Mainly those of you on LG G3 - D855, can you please perform following ?
  1. go to Settings --> Tethering & Networks --> Mobile Networks
  2. remember current mode and select as Network mode : GSM only
  3. check that "Use only 2G networks" is checked
  4. wait 5 seconds and make a test call
  5. listen to the attached audio noise_buzzing_G3_LG855.wma, whether you can hear similar buzzing / interference sound or not (ignore the white noise from the recording, it's simply just amplified during recording)
  6. vote please
  7. change back the settings as in step 2.
Use phone ear piece, NOT a bluetooth or audio headset nor loudspeaker.

Please discuss what do you think this could be, what could be causing this. I'm getting this when I'm on GSM / 2G (Edge icon as data) and it's extremely annoying.
Mainly apparent when no UMTS network is available (3G -> LTE) or inside the buildings.

Thank you.

* update 28.10.2014 * As pointed out by @manaxda, you may want to try following to reproduce similar problem. Use WIRED headset, call someone WHILE USB CHARGER is connected. The apposite side will hear background noise / buzzing sound.

note : seems more people have this problem, but I would like to know how big this problem really is - eg. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask...zing-isue.html, https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/commen...einterference/, http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/help/poor-call-quality-distortion-noise-t2808530, http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ata-calls.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaarky For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shaarky Ad-Free
13th October 2014, 05:53 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Still the same on latest V10L...
The Following User Says Thank You to shaarky For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shaarky Ad-Free
17th October 2014, 07:20 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I do have LG G3 D855 and gsm call has buzz noise. Compared to my ex huawei ascend p1 and honor 3c it is very noticeable and some times annoying. Very bad for such a hi price tag phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to bassamshehadeh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bassamshehadeh Ad-Free
17th October 2014, 08:14 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I had this problem when my phone was new but after a few calls it went away...

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to djCarpio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift djCarpio Ad-Free
17th October 2014, 08:18 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Question
Can you confirm that please even with that settings I posted ?
It important to force GSM/2G network, without it it is just "a feeling"and you never know in which mode phone is connected.
Luckily/unluckily I'm in the location where I got full signal, but GSM/2G only.

Thank you.

All my previous phones were much better - starting even with I9000, I9300 and LG G2... none of them were facing such stupid side-effect.
21st October 2014, 06:25 AM |#6  
Flag Recife
Thanks Meter: 343

More
D855P. No problems
Vivo 900MHz GSM, no inductive forces nearby

Also, don't expect this to be fixed in a software update. It might have to do with electromagnetic interference, which may be from your phone, the place you live or where you're standing. For example, when I use the stairs in my house, I go near the electric fence central, which electrifies the fence discharging high voltage in bursts. If I'm on the phone the moment I go down or upstairs, I can hear a rapid "click-click-click-click" on the phone, that intensifies the closer I am to the central. It happens with every single phone I've ever owned, and even AM/FM portable radios near to it. And specially in guitar amplificators, which seems to be extremely sensible to those variations (It can't be near the central, nor near the electric fence). Another good example is when you leave your phone near an unshielded speaker, and you can hear the "buzz code" your phone receives just before a call.

Well, anyway, you might have something that's affecting your call quality. Does it happen everywhere?
The G3 may be more susceptible to this, or the fact that its earpiece is so loud, it allows you to hear the buzz lol.
21st October 2014, 07:01 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Yes, for me it happens everywhere (eg. a per-requisite to CONFIRM it is to choose GSM network as advised). Except of that, also where I do have standard GSM network, I can hear this buzzing as well. Also I do have it confirmed on other pieces of G3.

For all the others, please whenever you are voting in a poll, be sure you really manually switched the network please.
23rd October 2014, 10:29 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Voted.
D855 and i can hear some buzzing during a call if i'm under the 2g network.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkRain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarkRain Ad-Free
28th October 2014, 03:06 PM |#9  

More
I finally found someone with the same problem! I had been looking for folks who had that problem and were able to solve it but all I found was issues with AUX cable problems and hissing noise. Note that if you use a wired headset even in 2G GSM area, there won't be any noise, it's only through the phone speaker.

This is utterly frustrating, I have all these 3 problems, plus a fourth - below. The G3 is a fantastic mini tablet but a very poor phone IMHO.

shaarky, could you make a test, call someone or leave yourself a voicemail while using a wired headset with USB power on and then without USB connected. I bet that the receiving party (your voicemail) will have lots of background noise when USB is connected.

The workaround I found is to buy a wireless charger and a bluetooth dongle for my desktop PC.
The Following User Says Thank You to manaxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manaxda Ad-Free
28th October 2014, 06:30 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
what the hell.... you are right @manaxda ! I wasn't even aware that there is also this issue.
When using wired headset and charging via USB, the opposite side hear terrible background noise/buzzing.
Now question is whether it's connected with the issue I'm describing....

LG should NOT sell such device which is even not able to perform clear call using some basics GSM standards....
28th October 2014, 06:45 PM |#11  

More
I think the issues are not related, though both are poor electromagnetic interference shielding
- from the phone radio into the phone speaker in one case (like when you place a cell phone close to a powered speaker)
- from the USB transceiver / power supply into the wired headset microphone in the other case (the headset MIC gets USB noise and sends it to the other party, the cell phone microphone does not have this problem)

In all situations it is bad engineering design and I suspect it doesn't have a SW fix... I'm no expert but usually there are HW measures / filters that can be placed on the PCB to filter unwanted noise, sometimes even an actual metal shield/case around components see an example:
The Following User Says Thank You to manaxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manaxda Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
buzzing, call, d855, hissing, quality

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)