FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

LG 360 VR PC adapter

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By rothas, Junior Member on 1st February 2018, 06:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just thought I should share this, since the VR Headset has extremely limited functionality through the phone.
There is a dongle available from a company in South Korea that enables PC use (for movies and Youtube) specifically for the 360 VR. It basically converts HDMI output from your graphics card to USB-C and also has a micro-USB secondary connection for controls.
The name of the tool is Vagle VRD-1000 VR Data Transformer. I was able to get one from the US Amazon this week and waiting for it to arrive and test.
The price was not prohibitive compared to HDMI to USB-C capture boxes that run for a few hundred bucks and it seems tailor made for the LG 360 VR.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to rothas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rothas Ad-Free

6th February 2018, 04:27 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm curious to know how this works out for you. Considering you can grab an LG360 VR google set for under $100, would be a fun addition to play with.
16th February 2018, 12:38 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
And it works
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvelas

I'm curious to know how this works out for you. Considering you can grab an LG360 VR google set for under $100, would be a fun addition to play with.

I've received the adapter this week. It works as advertised for playing individual VR video files and Youtube VR streams. I had to download the VR Player from the manufacturer's website and it appears like a modified version of CodePlex VR Player. It includes a device preset for the LG headset. It also installed the K-lite codec pack and VLC automatically.

Head tracking works, video was a bit jittery as I could only test it on my laptop under W10 with an Intel IGP. The manual specifies Intel Graphics are not recommended. My desktop is sitting waiting for memory modules and I will test again once fixed.

One thing to note - as I connected the glasses through the adapter Windows set them up as a second monitor at their native resolution however I couldn't see anything. The glasses only fired up as I've opened the VR Player. However, after closing the player, the glasses still showed the desktop, but it was rotated by 90 degrees. I will try to rotate the desktop on my PC and see if I can have the picture laid out properly. If it works, it might allow me to play my flight sim on the headset.

Long story short, if you want to watch VR videos on the computer, the dongle will work. I've got the LG 360 VR for $60 off ebay and ended up spending more for the dongle ($90). All together it came down to less than a brand new LG 360 VR bought from LG.
The Following User Says Thank You to rothas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rothas Ad-Free
28th February 2018, 01:46 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
whereto download this vr player?
hi Rothas, I tried to plug lv 360 directly into my NUC which has usb-c (thunderbolt 3, compatible with displayport over usb c), it recognizes it as a display 1440*960. but like you said below, nothing is shown on the goggle. want to try this vr player - you said you had to download from manufacturer's website? can't find the website even , can you help?

thanks
Wei

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothas

I've received the adapter this week. It works as advertised for playing individual VR video files and Youtube VR streams. I had to download the VR Player from the manufacturer's website and it appears like a modified version of CodePlex VR Player. It includes a device preset for the LG headset. It also installed the K-lite codec pack and VLC automatically.

Head tracking works, video was a bit jittery as I could only test it on my laptop under W10 with an Intel IGP. The manual specifies Intel Graphics are not recommended. My desktop is sitting waiting for memory modules and I will test again once fixed.

One thing to note - as I connected the glasses through the adapter Windows set them up as a second monitor at their native resolution however I couldn't see anything. The glasses only fired up as I've opened the VR Player. However, after closing the player, the glasses still showed the desktop, but it was rotated by 90 degrees. I will try to rotate the desktop on my PC and see if I can have the picture laid out properly. If it works, it might allow me to play my flight sim on the headset.

Long story short, if you want to watch VR videos on the computer, the dongle will work. I've got the LG 360 VR for $60 off ebay and ended up spending more for the dongle ($90). All together it came down to less than a brand new LG 360 VR bought from LG.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kx4NEhrelR5RE0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanma75

hi Rothas, I tried to plug lv 360 directly into my NUC which has usb-c (thunderbolt 3, compatible with displayport over usb c), it recognizes it as a display 1440*960. but like you said below, nothing is shown on the goggle. want to try this vr player - you said you had to download from manufacturer's website? can't find the website even , can you help?

thanks
Wei

28th February 2018, 03:41 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
VR Player
Good to see you found it, could you let us know if it works on the NUC without the dongle?
Also, make sure you select the LG device in the player, that is what brings the picture up on my headset. Thanks.
28th February 2018, 05:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
It worked !!!
wow, good news everyone, this really rocks: get LG 360 plug in to a displayport over usb c compatible computer (NUC 7th gen for example).
and fires up this vr player - so far the image are 90 degree turned - I am so excited so need to share the news first. will tweak more and let you guys know.

Quote:

Good to see you found it, could you let us know if it works on the NUC without the dongle?
Also, make sure you select the LG device in the player, that is what brings the picture up on my headset. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

everything works inside vr player once the tracker is set to LG ER1 - I guess it tells VR player to align the orientation from the goggle.
can't seems to get it to work directly - it shows the screen but are 90 degree turned, one clock wise and the other eye counter clockwise, so you can't even change alignment in display setting to fix both eyes

overall I am very happy, just saved $100 on this Vagle if your computer is able to output displayport over USB C directly - it works exactly as the adapter does.

thanks Rothas for this great finding, I wouldn't even think it is possible if I did not read your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanma75

wow, good news everyone, this really rocks: get LG 360 plug in to a displayport over usb c compatible computer (NUC 7th gen for example).
and fires up this vr player - so far the image are 90 degree turned - I am so excited so need to share the news first. will tweak more and let you guys know.

The Following User Says Thank You to alanma75 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alanma75 Ad-Free
28th February 2018, 08:48 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Great
Oh, I forgot to mention to load up the .json preset included with the player, it does something to the viewing plane.
I still haven't tested rotating the display in W10 due to lack of time, I'll post something once I'm done.

I wish I could've saved the $100 but my desktop doesn't have native USB-C
6th March 2018, 10:58 AM |#8  

More
Installed the player and it sort of works. I get the 90" rotated display in the player. Unfortunately my windows doesn't see the glasses driver.Any ideas?
12th March 2018, 04:31 PM |#9  

More
I was able to get my hands on a R100 VR headset for a real bargain.

To get it to work in my use case (As FPV glasses for my racing drone) I need help from someone owning the VRD-1000 "transformer":

Could someone owning said converter please open it up and take pictures of both sides of the PCB? I want to gather some information on the SLIMPORT chipset they used so I can hack together my own adapter.

I am not able to purchase the VRD-1000 it here in europe and importing it would cost me over 200 USD which is quite a bummer

Help would be greatly appreciated! Of course Ill share my findings if this leads to something!
12th March 2018, 05:43 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
VRD-1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by game-genie

I was able to get my hands on a R100 VR headset for a real bargain.

To get it to work in my use case (As FPV glasses for my racing drone) I need help from someone owning the VRD-1000 "transformer":

Could someone owning said converter please open it up and take pictures of both sides of the PCB? I want to gather some information on the SLIMPORT chipset they used so I can hack together my own adapter.

I am not able to purchase the VRD-1000 it here in europe and importing it would cost me over 200 USD which is quite a bummer

Help would be greatly appreciated! Of course Ill share my findings if this leads to something!

Will PM you tonight
12th March 2018, 05:57 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

Will PM you tonight

You are my hero!

I'll update ASAP with my findings
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)