FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Recovery][H850] Team Win Recovery Project for the LG G5

1,491 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,166
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Team Win Recovery Project 3.0.3-0



WARNING: The stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you swipe to enable system modifications!
SOLUTION: Flash a root such as SuperSU or phh-superuser. You can also flash no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip.


A message to those with other variants of the G5:
The H850 International variant is the only one with an official bootloader unlock from LG.
Should there be a time where your flashing mechanisms get cracked, simply mention my name on this thread or via private message and I would be happy to create a thread with TWRP for your device.
I have device trees ready for ALL variants of the G5, pending their unlock!

WHAT IS TWRP?

Oh come on, you know what it is - don't try to fool me!
In case you're serious, though...

Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery for Android devices.
It allows you to back up and restore your data, flash custom ROMs to your device, repair broken file systems, and root your device.

DOWNLOAD

You can find the device page here:
https://twrp.me/devices/lgg5h850.html

FULL STEPS FOR OBTAINING ROOT
  1. Follow LG's bootloader unlocking instructions here before you begin!
  2. Download the latest TWRP .img for your device from this thread or twrp.me.
  3. Use the same fastboot tool you downloaded in the LG unlock instructions to flash TWRP using the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-h850.img
    * Replace x.x.x-x with the actual version you are flashing!
  4. Now you can either power off your phone and boot into recovery using the button combo [Volume Down] + [Power], or you can run this command in fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-h850.img
  5. At this point, you will see the TWRP splash and reach a screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
    By swiping right, you will trigger dm-verity, and if you don't follow step 8 you will be unable to boot!
    If you are going to root your device or follow the rest of these steps, then it is safe to swipe right and enable modifications.
  6. Only if you want internal storage or data to work in TWRP:
    Go to [Wipe] -> [Format Data] (not advanced wipe) -> type "yes".
    WARNING: This will wipe your internal storage, disable encryption, and factory reset your phone!
    Go to [Reboot] -> [Recovery].
  7. Please consider backing up your stock boot partition in TWRP before proceeding to the next steps!
  8. If you want to be rooted with SuperSU:
    Download the latest SuperSU stable by Chainfire.
    Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
    -or-
    If you only want a bootable system partition or writable data in TWRP:
    Download dm-verity and force encryption disabler.
    Without exiting TWRP, transfer the no-verity-opt-encrypt zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
  9. Go to [Reboot] -> [System].
  10. Wait 2-5 minutes for your device to finish setting itself up.
* MTP, known as Media Transfer Protocol, is the same way you transfer files from your PC to your device when booted into system.

CHANGES
  • [v]v3.0.3-0[/b] - TWRP app added - See [url=https://twrp.me/site/update/2017/01/05/official-twrp-app.html].
  • v3.0.2-0 - See here for the changes.

FEATURES
  • MTP support
  • USB Mass Storage support
  • Micro SDcard and USB OTG storage support
  • f2fs file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
  • exFAT file system support (read, write, format)
  • NTFS file system support (read, write)
  • ADB root
  • Full SELinux support
  • Built in android 6.0 tree

KNOWN ISSUES
  • LG encryption is not supported yet in TWRP 3. Your device will hang for a while when trying to enter a password. Skip it.

CONTACT & SUPPORT

You can find us on IRC at #twrp on chat.freenode.net.
You can also post in this thread and I will attempt to answer any questions you may have.

SOURCE CODE

Device tree: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_lge_h850 (International)
Device tree: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_lge_h830 (T-Mobile)
Kernel sources: https://github.com/jcadduono/android.../tree/twrp-6.0
TWRP: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

CONTRIBUTIONS

Gerrit for TWRP: http://gerrit.omnirom.org/
Gerrit for officially supported devices: http://gerrit.twrp.me/

XDA:DevDB Information
Team Win Recovery Project - LG G5, Tool/Utility for the LG G5

Contributors
jcadduono, The Team Win Recovery Project team
Source Code: https://github.com/jcadduono/android_device_lge_h850


Version Information
Status: Stable
Current Stable Version: 3.0.3-0
Stable Release Date: 2017-01-03

Created 2016-04-21
Last Updated 2017-01-08
The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to jcadduono For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
21st April 2016, 04:35 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
This is great news!! Thanks for all the great work!
I have a Sprint version of the G5. Does this work on Sprint variant?
21st April 2016, 04:48 AM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajbsn

This is great news!! Thanks for all the great work!
I have a Sprint version of the G5. Does this work on Sprint variant?

Is the Sprint variant H850? I don't think so. You need to have an unlocked bootloader which has currently only become available this morning for the H850 European variant.

Thanks for this! Time to go buy my G5 now (Australia's a bit behind the times, only became available yesterday lol)
The Following User Says Thank You to dougalh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dougalh Ad-Free
21st April 2016, 06:25 AM |#4  
misteurz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 68
 
More
Here we are!

Envoyé de mon SM-G925F en utilisant Tapatalk
21st April 2016, 02:37 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
getting stuck at the splash screen on the H850
21st April 2016, 02:57 PM |#6  
Account currently disabled
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 620
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBensley

getting stuck at the splash screen on the H850

Same problem here.
21st April 2016, 03:28 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Following instructions found here

For TWRP to "stick" you must first boot directly into TWRP and not back into Android, until after flashing the SuperSU zip.
After flashing TWRP unplug the USB cable and pull the battery. Plug battery back in then boot into recovery which should hopefully load TWRP.
To boot into recovery:
a. Using 2 hands.. use one hand/finger to press/hold volume down.. and use the other hand for the power button. Press n hold both buttons.
b. As soon as you see the LG logo on the screen.. let go of the power button then quickly press it again (never letting go of volume down).
c. Keep holding until you see the Factory Reset screen. Click thru the factory reset screens.. Yes.. Yes...

10. You will not be able to decrypt your internal data while in TWRP but you can manually mount your external SD card to view the SuperSu zip. Feel free to back up first.. but otherwise.. time to install SuperSu. Click the Install button and navigate to the external_sd, select the SuperSu zip then swipe to install. Now you're rooted and TWRP'd! Reboot into system...

Stuck on TWRP splash screen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to queloo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift queloo Ad-Free
21st April 2016, 03:44 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by queloo

Following instructions found here

For TWRP to "stick" you must first boot directly into TWRP and not back into Android, until after flashing the SuperSU zip.
After flashing TWRP unplug the USB cable and pull the battery. Plug battery back in then boot into recovery which should hopefully load TWRP.
To boot into recovery:
a. Using 2 hands.. use one hand/finger to press/hold volume down.. and use the other hand for the power button. Press n hold both buttons.
b. As soon as you see the LG logo on the screen.. let go of the power button then quickly press it again (never letting go of volume down).
c. Keep holding until you see the Factory Reset screen. Click thru the factory reset screens.. Yes.. Yes...

10. You will not be able to decrypt your internal data while in TWRP but you can manually mount your external SD card to view the SuperSu zip. Feel free to back up first.. but otherwise.. time to install SuperSu. Click the Install button and navigate to the external_sd, select the SuperSu zip then swipe to install. Now you're rooted and TWRP'd! Reboot into system...

Stuck on TWRP splash screen.

I followed those instructions aswell but everything worked fine for me. Was able to get into twrp and flash supersu. Wonder why it's only working for some.
21st April 2016, 03:48 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckysempai

I followed those instructions aswell but everything worked fine for me. Was able to get into twrp and flash supersu. Wonder why it's only working for some.

I wonder what is which has stopped everyone else's from working?
what was your process in flashing it and everything?
21st April 2016, 03:55 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBensley

I wonder what is which has stopped everyone else's from working?
what was your process in flashing it and everything?

Just followed the instructions here to the letter. Didn't do anything different. Only thing I can think of is that I let the phone boot fully after unlocking and then installed twrp after that. Not even sure if that can affect anthing
21st April 2016, 03:59 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
More
Recovery hangs at TWRP splash screen.
My PC sees Recovery ADB device connected (in Device Manager), but ADB program doesn't see any device, so I can't get logs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread