FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Will the G5 have an unlocked bootloader?

20 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By W1nks, Junior Member on 16th February 2016, 02:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I've always been a Samsung guy but the LG G5 has sparked my interest since it has a removable battery and SD slot. I see that some versions of the G4 have an unlocked bootloader. I was wondering if there was any information on the G5 having an unlocked bootloader for the US version? I've tried looking around but couldn't find anything about it. If they haven't announced anything yet are they likely to have it unlocked? Having root is crucial for me but being able to use different ROMs is even better. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to W1nks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift W1nks Ad-Free

16th February 2016, 05:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,111

More
It's not going to be unlocked out of the box, so no one will know until they come out and people start to get them. Looking at the past, going from the G2 > G3 > G4, the ability to unlock and root has gone down hill, especially with carrier versions. I've seen significantly less dev support for each phone, and I'd expect the G5 to be even more locked down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoff5093 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift geoff5093 Ad-Free
16th February 2016, 06:58 PM |#3  
Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
Flag Malibu Point
Thanks Meter: 11,208

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1nks

Hi,

I've always been a Samsung guy but the LG G5 has sparked my interest since it has a removable battery and SD slot. I see that some versions of the G4 have an unlocked bootloader. I was wondering if there was any information on the G5 having an unlocked bootloader for the US version? I've tried looking around but couldn't find anything about it. If they haven't announced anything yet are they likely to have it unlocked? Having root is crucial for me but being able to use different ROMs is even better. Thanks!

"Out of the box" there are no devices that come with the bootloader unlocked (any more). You need to go through steps to unlock. LG has been no different.

In terms of US BL unlockable, the only carrier quick to offer this has always been T-Mo. G2,3 & 4. That said, we won't know prior to release
16th February 2016, 08:09 PM |#4  
Flag Jacksonville
Thanks Meter: 570

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStark

"Out of the box" there are no devices that come with the bootloader unlocked (any more). You need to go through steps to unlock. LG has been no different.

In terms of US BL unlockable, the only carrier quick to offer this has always been T-Mo. G2,3 & 4. That said, we won't know prior to release

This. Tmo generally DGAF about bootloaders being unlocked, so hopefully that continues here. I'm interested in this device but no Root would suck.
22nd February 2016, 03:03 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I also hope this device will have an unlocked bootloader. It seems like a pretty sick little phone. I am still on a S4 with AT&T, which was my first phone with a locked bootloader. I know you can load other ROMS on it via SafeStrap, but that just seems like such a gimpy way to go. My previous S2 (international version) was unlocked, and I loaded all sorts of ROMS. I hate the concept of a manufacturer locking down a phone you purchase.

Have the previous LG G phones been unlocked, or at least rooted? I know I could do the research, but I am feeling a bit lazy right now.

Thanks
23rd February 2016, 03:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 597

More
G2 and G3 where unlockable. G4 was rootable but not unlockable. V10 was sealed up tight.

I want the G5 but if I can't at least root it on Verizon it's a no go for me. I'll give up new phones like the G5 and S7 and stick with my totally unlocked Moto X Pure until another manufacture makes something with a sd card and a unlockable bootloader with CDMA bands.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshw0000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joshw0000 Ad-Free
23rd February 2016, 03:18 PM |#7  

More
That's so frustrating. I'd be furious if any computer I purchased was like that. I want to do what I want to the **** I own. Maybe I will just have to rethink my hesitations about the 6P's size.
23rd February 2016, 08:05 PM |#8  
Flag Poway (San Diego)
Thanks Meter: 500

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugotprblms

That's so frustrating. I'd be furious if any computer I purchased was like that. I want to do what I want to the **** I own. Maybe I will just have to rethink my hesitations about the 6P's size.

The 6 p is the best phone I've ever owned. Had most samsung HTC and lg phones. I have a g4 that I gave to my son because the lack of unlock on the Sprint version. If there's a version of the g5 which is unlock able with Sprint radio capability I'll try one out. Looks really cool.
23rd February 2016, 08:19 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon

The 6 p is the best phone I've ever owned. Had most samsung HTC and lg phones. I have a g4 that I gave to my son because the lack of unlock on the Sprint version. If there's a version of the g5 which is unlock able with Sprint radio capability I'll try one out. Looks really cool.

I really do want the 6p, but it is just such a large phone. That is my only hang up, and it is such a bummer.
The Following User Says Thank You to yugotprblms For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yugotprblms Ad-Free
23rd February 2016, 09:48 PM |#10  
Westlake, OH
Thanks Meter: 390

More
I hope there will be a way around it. And being on Verizon doesn't help. I might have to skip it and go for something along the lines of joshw0000.
24th February 2016, 10:36 PM |#11  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 216

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshw0000

G2 and G3 where unlockable. G4 was rootable but not unlockable. V10 was sealed up tight.

I want the G5 but if I can't at least root it on Verizon it's a no go for me. I'll give up new phones like the G5 and S7 and stick with my totally unlocked Moto D Pure until another manufacture makes something with a sd card and a unlockable bootloader with CDMA bands.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The V10 bootloader is fully unlockable - not sure what you are talking about.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)