FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

Lg G5 Screen Issues?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By queso_burrito, Junior Member on 5th April 2016, 01:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
A number of reviewers have noted serious issues with the ips lcd panel on the lg g5, specifically backlight bleeding and "blooming" (when pressure from touching the screen causes distortion). Has anyone else out there with the g5 experienced these issues? If so, will you try to return and get a replacement?

5th April 2016, 01:57 AM |#2  
Flag Twin Cities, MN
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Have noticed neither of these problems. I don't ever run 100% brightness on the screen, then switch to a black background and go into a bathroom and view the screen. And, I don't press the screen hard enough to cause distortion. If you don't do these things, you will never notice an issue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turbodroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift turbodroid Ad-Free
5th April 2016, 03:15 AM |#3  
Flag Banana Paradise
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodroid

Have noticed neither of these problems. I don't ever run 100% brightness on the screen, then switch to a black background and go into a bathroom and view the screen. And, I don't press the screen hard enough to cause distortion. If you don't do these things, you will never notice an issue.

There is clearly a problem more or less with some units ( bleeding light).
And you don't need to push hard to cause distortion.
5th April 2016, 10:14 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have a very strangle faint vertical line on the right side. Not visible with a black background but looks almost blue-ish on a white background. Like a line of a very light shadow.
5th April 2016, 11:36 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I've seen this issue too, but not enough to bother me. I didn't notice it with my phone until i read this post.

I think it's due to the design and battery placement. I think there's a very small gap between the battery and the screen, where the LCD is practically floating and when you put pressure on the phone, the screen deflects a bit until it makes contact with the battery. Otherwise, the battery would get scratched up if that gap wasn't there.
6th April 2016, 12:14 AM |#6  

More
Yes, I have a 2nd G5 and it has the same vertical shadow, except much fainter. I wouldn't of noticed this new one if it wasn't for my first phone being so prominent.
6th April 2016, 12:40 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Haven't checked for light bleed, but no bloom issues with finger presses whatsoever. I pushed as hard as I was comfortable on several locations and nothing. Also no shadow that I can make out and I am very sensitive to that kind of thing, especially if I'm looking for it.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to JNordgren42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JNordgren42 Ad-Free
6th April 2016, 01:35 AM |#8  

More
I tried swapping out the battery & bottom-chin-thing between my two phones and now my original first phone that had the worse 'shadow line' has improved a little bit. So there's definitely a fault between the contacts that's causing this effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to poisonousjuice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift poisonousjuice Ad-Free
6th April 2016, 02:57 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It just seems like such a mixed bag in terms of quality control Kills me too, since I've been super stoked for this device since MWC
6th April 2016, 04:03 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousjuice

I tried swapping out the battery & bottom-chin-thing between my two phones and now my original first phone that had the worse 'shadow line' has improved a little bit. So there's definitely a fault between the contacts that's causing this effect.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by fault between the contacts, but i think the issue is due to very small and minute variance in battery shape or size. This variance is probably causing different pressure points on the bottom of the LCD screen causing the shadow.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by queso_burrito

It just seems like such a mixed bag in terms of quality control Kills me too, since I've been super stoked for this device since MWC

Personally, I wouldn't call it bad quality control, but rather mechanical and structural design limitations with the materials currently available for use. The thickness of the G5 is only 7.7mm (0.303 inches), that's pretty incredible with a phone that has a removable battery. By comparison the Galaxy s7, is 7.9mm (0.311 inches).

I maybe speaking out of line here, but from an engineering point of view, I am impressed with the design. I am a little worried about the battery swelling up crowning the screen, but i guess i can change the battery if that happens. I've had some battery well up a little in the past...

I've had the phone for 5 days and the more i use it, the more i like it. Believe me, i'm looking for every reason to hate the phone while i still have 8 days to return it if i wanted to. After that, i'm stuck with it for two years.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fadman37 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fadman37 Ad-Free
6th April 2016, 10:52 AM |#11  

More
I don't have any technical knowledge with this stuff but just thought perhaps there's some kind of interference or feedback happening near those plugs next to the battery inside that's causing it like when you hold a magnet up to an old tv.

The battery of my last two phones (Droid Maxx & Galaxy S5) both swelled up which is why I went with the only phone that offers a replaceable battery
The Following User Says Thank You to poisonousjuice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift poisonousjuice Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)