Canadian LG G5 discussion

Search This thread
Hey guys I just got my G5 almost 2 months after release. I was one of the bashers at first wasn't impressed with the looks but I decided to give it a chance, looks isn't everything. Got the camera module, the spare battery. Trying to make the most out of my G5 experience. So far, gotta say it's actually better than I thought it would be.

What do you guys think of it? [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H831 using XDA-Developers mobile app

kjwaugh

May 9, 2012
I really like my new G5 also. I got it on April 8, works great, I can't believe how fast and stable it is. I charge my phone once every 2 days usually - it took a week or two for the battery to get used to me but now it has settled down.

Reactions: mrnovanova
I really like my new G5 also. I got it on April 8, works great, I can't believe how fast and stable it is. I charge my phone once every 2 days usually - it took a week or two for the battery to get used to me but now it has settled down.
Whoa! Every 2 days. I've only had it a couple of days but so far I haven't gotten a full day of battery, hence the 2nd battery, but yeah it works well as far as software goes; I wish they had worked on the UI a bit more and that applying a theme actually applied to settings. I might be a bit biased though coming from an s7 edge. But it's a lot better than what I expected, that's for sure.

Reactions: howlingmoon12

Pphish20

Aug 27, 2015
Boulder
Whoa! Every 2 days. I've only had it a couple of days but so far I haven't gotten a full day of battery, hence the 2nd battery, but yeah it works well as far as software goes; I wish they had worked on the UI a bit more and that applying a theme actually applied to settings. I might be a bit biased though coming from an s7 edge. But it's a lot better than what I expected, that's for sure.

Try going into dev options and enabling GPU rendering of 2d, and also possibly forcing GPU rendering of screen composite...
I have only 2d rendering turned on my H850 and I reg get 40hrs battery life with 6+ hrs sot with heavy use!

Reactions: P00r and mrnovanova
Try going into dev options and enabling GPU rendering of 2d, and also possibly forcing GPU rendering of screen composite...
I have only 2d rendering turned on my H850 and I reg get 40hrs battery life with 6+ hrs sot with heavy use!
Awesome. Thanks. Did not know that actually helped to reduce power consumption. Any drawbacks?

Pphish20

Aug 27, 2015
Boulder
Awesome. Thanks. Did not know that actually helped to reduce power consumption. Any drawbacks?

I'm not entirely sure that it does, but it would make sense that it would as it takes the load off CPU and utilizes our energy efficient GPU... Also turn down animations to .5

No drawbacks that I've noticed and I've had it enabled for weeks now. No lags, no heat... Your home screen might redraw when u first enable, but that's it.
Like I said I'm not totally sure it helps power consumption, but hasn't seemed to affect it adversely in any apparent way

ForgottenSolstace

Dec 19, 2012
Calgary
BlackBerry Evolve X
Hi, is H831 factory unlocked?
No, if you bought your lg g5 through a carrier, it is locked. Even with wind. As a wind customer, I was told I must wait 3 months (after purchase date) for wind to unlock -- and even then, it costs 30 dollars.

If you're here, on XDA, chances are you're better off unlocking yourself. I don't believe there is a method available as of now, but a method may soon be made available in the next year.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I really thought there would be more canadian users. I guess root is a no go?

Not in the least. Those watching the T-Mobile root thread will know that a root method was just released today, requiring the use of LG developer software and a .tot file. In addition, a fix is needed to prevent package verification. Although the process is lengthy, requiring fastboot, it's quite likely that we'll see root methods for other variants of the lg g5 come out in the coming months.

Yes, there are far fewer Canadian users than T-mobile users, but with time, we should expect to see root on the h831 Canadian variant.

tahahawa

Oct 14, 2010
Root shouldn't be hard, if we follow the same process as the H830. Get a TOT and repack it right. But, easier said than done.

kjwaugh

May 9, 2012
No, if you bought your lg g5 through a carrier, it is locked. Even with wind. As a wind customer, I was told I must wait 3 months (after purchase date) for wind to unlock -- and even then, it costs 30 dollars.

If you're here, on XDA, chances are you're better off unlocking yourself. I don't believe there is a method available as of now, but a method may soon be made available in the next year.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Not in the least. Those watching the T-Mobile root thread will know that a root method was just released today, requiring the use of LG developer software and a .tot file. In addition, a fix is needed to prevent package verification. Although the process is lengthy, requiring fastboot, it's quite likely that we'll see root methods for other variants of the lg g5 come out in the coming months.

Yes, there are far fewer Canadian users than T-mobile users, but with time, we should expect to see root on the h831 Canadian variant.

Here's hoping. I have (so have most of us) seen this urgency and with real jealousy, watching the poor ugly stepsister (or brother) get ignored: the Canadian versions frequently are low on the priority list. We all should calm down a bit - it will come in time - it sometimes takes 6 months to a year for the bootloader unlock to come about. Those of us who have played the waiting game before have been eventually rewarded. I always have the utmost respect for the devs who come through for us - so lets give them some space and time to work their magic in peace.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

I got mine - security patched for May, now sporting version 10D.

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011
Can someone post the LG G5 Canadian variant model number / code name.
I am asking this because my friend wants to root his LG G5 that he just picked up. I realize from the posts here there is no root method for it.
and as for waiting, yes the Canadian variants generally take a bit to get going.
Appreciate it

futures

Sep 8, 2009
Toronto
Can someone post the LG G5 Canadian variant model number / code name.
I am asking this because my friend wants to root his LG G5 that he just picked up. I realize from the posts here there is no root method for it.
and as for waiting, yes the Canadian variants generally take a bit to get going.
Appreciate it

I believe LG-H831 is the variant model number for all Canadian Retail / Provider LG G5 phones. All Canadian LG G5's included all the friends modules, extra battery kit, earbuds, 128TB SDXXX Card, an iPad, and a Surface Book :D

Kidding, can't help notice how awesome US promotions are due to healthy competition, compared to what's offered in Canada. Most Canadian providers offered the Cam Plus friend module with the LG G5 for the first month or until supplies lasted.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Thanks for the reply. I'm just surprised that there hasn't been a Canadian thread created previously.

Because we're ashamed to admit we paid about twice as much for our LG G5 compared to our neighbours - oops neighbors :)

I've posted a couple generic threads on accessories, etc. Upgraded 5 family phones to the LG G5, working well so far. Have to admin my past Samsung Note series phones did seem to perform better under direct sun. But at least I don't have to worry about burn ins with the G5. Had burn in issues, although minor, with a couple Samsung phones.

I believe LG-H831 is the variant model number for all Canadian Retail / Provider LG G5 phones. All Canadian LG G5's included all the friends modules, extra battery kit, earbuds, 128TB SDXXX Card, an iPad, and a Surface Book :D

Kidding, can't help notice how awesome US promotions are due to healthy competition, compared to what's offered in Canada. Most Canadian providers offered the Cam Plus friend module with the LG G5 for the first month or until supplies lasted.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Because we're ashamed to admit we paid about twice as much for our LG G5 compared to our neighbours - oops neighbors :)

I've posted a couple generic threads on accessories, etc. Upgraded 5 family phones to the LG G5, working well so far. Have to admin my past Samsung Note series phones did seem to perform better under direct sun. But at least I don't have to worry about burn ins with the G5. Had burn in issues, although minor, with a couple Samsung phones.
I've had every single Amoled samsung flagship and never had a burn in. That is what I consider a non issue. Unless you keep your phone for 5 years. I do appreciate the nice whites and we'll balanced color reproduction of the G5 though I miss the deep black of Amoled.

crzygrmn

Mar 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone able to confirm that VoLTE works on the Rogers network? I have a Fido phone with Rogers firmware on the Rogers network but VoLTE doesn't work. Just want to confirm that it's just me before calling it in.

I am sure to read somewhere volte is only with my5 or something.
As you know. Might not. Fido is rogers.
Volte only works with rogers sim.

Sent from my LG-H812 using XDA-Developers mobile app

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011

OK, thanks. So as it stands right now for the H831 -- there is no ROOT / Recovery and ROMs available for it yet. As it is a new device and things take time to dev. Hate to say I am so use to Samsung, so I have never worked on a LG too get root and recovery. I am not in too much rush for a ROM, but root is key. Thanks for the info, keep me posted. I will keep my eyes on this thread :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What sw did you use to debloat? All i could is disable some apps.

Ok this is what I did for now, I downloaded the Disable Bloatware-Hide Apps from Google Play. It does what is similar to going into apps under settings. I did find that it does find other apk files that are not listed if you just go through Settings-Apps. The following are apps that I disabled using the program only because I do not use these. My phone seems to be working fine. I have the LGG5 so some of the apps may be different.

Amazon
    Bookmark Provider
    Chrome
    Cloud Print
    Com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
    Docs
    Drive
    Evernote
    Google Backup Transport
    Google Partner Setup
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Music
    Google text To Speech
    Hangouts
    Instagram
    LG Friends Manager
    LG WernickeManager
    Market Feedback Agent
    Quick Remote
    Sheets
    Slides
    SmartShare Cloud
    SnapPage
    Tags
    Talkback
    Video Trim
    Voice Mate Speech Pak

Multi-quote
    My LG G5 on Bell updated to Oreo last night. Software Info Android Version 8.0.0, Security patch level Aug 1, 2018. Kernel 3.18.71

Hi, is H831 factory unlocked?

I really thought there would be more canadian users. I guess root is a no go?