FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[EXPERIMENTAL] Full ADB Root, System RW, and DM-VERITY Off for ALL G5's!!!

407 posts
Thanks Meter: 503

By Honestly Annoying, Senior Member on 21st December 2016, 08:03 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
UPDATE Thanks to @thjubeck for testing this, it seems that this userdebug kernel actually works on all devices running antirollback v0 and running Marshmallow! I only have the Sprint variant, so be careful!!! Enjoy root guys

A bit of a disclaimer is that this is root through adb. dm-verity is off and system is rw, so you can install apps as root, get a hotspot hack to work, and anything through a shell but I am having trouble installing SuperSU. Please try yourself though as I am probably doing something wrong! If there are any bugs you have found please post them, as this phone is my backup and not my daily driver.

So okay, here is the guide:

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WAY TO GO BACK INCASE THINGS GO WRONG. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ROOT THIS WITHOUT HAVING A KDZ/TOT FOR YOUR DEVICE THAT YOU KNOW YOU CAN FLASH BACK TO. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THINGS GOING WRONG.

Here is the fix for LGUP

1. Download this zip
2. Install Terminal Emulator from the Play Store
(This is modified from the V20 bootloader unlock, HUGE thanks to all of those devs for sharing their dirtysanta code with me and allowing me to modify it!)
3. Copy all the files from inside the "dirtysanta-boot" and paste it into your active ADB directory
4. Plug your device into the computer and verify ADB is working. Then;

On Windows, double-click "RUNMEFIRST.bat, DO NOT CLOSE THE LOG WINDOW THAT OPENS, then double-click "Step1.bat"

On Linux/MacOS ("#" Signifies a comment below)
Code:
./RUNMEFIRST.sh
# OR
bash ./RUNMEFIRST.sh
Open a Separate Terminal next to the RUNMEFIRST terminal, then type:
Code:
./Step1.sh
# OR
bash ./Step1.sh
(When you run The sh or Bat files there may be a Permission denied error on 2 files: Flatland and Flatland64. This is normal and nothing to worry about.)

5. Wait for a shell prompt, then type (or copy):
Code:
run-as con
chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*
6. Open Up Terminal Emulator on your phone
Type:
Code:
id
Check if context is "Untrusted_app". If it is then we're good to go!

7. Type into Terminal Emulator:
Code:
applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta
8. Watch the RUNMEFIRST dialog for when it tells you to run Step2 (we don't have a step 2)
9. Reboot the phone into recovery mode and wipe data again
BOOM! Now the you have a userdebug kernel running on a userdebug system Time to turn off dm-verity, otherwise you will have a red triangle on reboot (Your device is corrupt. It cannot be trusted and may not boot) and cannot edit /system.

1. Finish setting up the phone and enable USB Debugging in developer options (you should know how to do this)
2. Plug the phone into your computer, and run these commands
Code:
adb root
adb disable-verity
3. Reboot the phone
4. Run
Code:
adb root
adb shell
mount -o rw,remount,rw /system
Bam. Enjoy your FULL UNLIMITED root shell with system set to rw and dm-verity off!!! Just make sure to type "adb root" before "adb shell"
If you ever want to go back, just flash your stock TOT/KDZ with UPPERCUT and you'll be all good!

BUY ME A PIZZA FOR THE HARD WORK: BTC 197ct1uti4zutJu76bYAW51H8NZ6zXeoEV PayPal: honestlyannoying@gmail.com

@tungkick for the userdebug boot and helping me with the ZV4 TOTs
@autoprime for UPPERCUT
@me2151 @glitschi667 @EMSpilot @elliwigy for their AMAZING work on the V20 and sharing their code!
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Honestly Annoying For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Honestly Annoying Ad-Free

21st December 2016, 10:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I'm using a H850, but still - thanks for your work!
21st December 2016, 11:55 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 352

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the amazing work while almost every one lose the hope .
Allow me to ask about the other versions H860 in my case .
Any chance to modified your files to make it work ?
If you need a testing phone to try figure it out Pm me .
Again thanks for this great job
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamodi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hamodi Ad-Free
22nd December 2016, 02:33 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I'm a Canadian H831 owner. Just wanted to post to say great work so far and if you get SuperSU or another SU app installed, enjoy the $850 bounty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToYeD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ToYeD Ad-Free
22nd December 2016, 06:16 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag chicago

Donate to Me
More
I think I also found an unlimited hotspot hack, so there's that too!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Honestly Annoying For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Honestly Annoying Ad-Free
22nd December 2016, 11:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
You're doing God's work, sir.

I wish I had that variant... you'be renewed my hope though.

I have a Canadian H831 [Telus], how much of an undertaking is it to rejigger your method for it?
22nd December 2016, 07:53 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Delete
22nd December 2016, 08:51 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly Annoying

I think I also found an unlimited hotspot hack, so there's that too!

Care to share this info?

Sent from my LGE LG-H830 using XDA Labs
22nd December 2016, 08:58 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly Annoying

Hello everyone, finally the moment you've all been waiting for! I know that a certain user who will not be named has been spreading false information about our root progress, so I am taking it upon myself to release what I personally have gotten to work

A bit of a disclaimer is that this is root through adb. dm-verity is off and system is rw, so you can install apps as root, get a hotspot hack to work, and anything through a shell but I am having trouble installing SuperSU. Please try yourself though as I am probably doing something wrong!

So okay, here is the guide:

ONLY FOR SPRINT USERS ON ZV4. YOU WILL HAVE TO WIPE YOUR DEVICE AND THIS IS YOUR WARNING HERE. DEVICE MAY BE UNSTABLE AS IT IS A USERDEBUG BUILD. THIS IS YOUR WARNING

1. Download these files here and unzip them to desktop https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...WdQYW8tWkxTbFU
2. Set up LGUP from Autoprime's guide here http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g...iants-t3511295
3. Make sure you have working ADB set up on your computer
3. Put device in download mode and plug in to computer
4. Flash LS992ZV4_04.userdebug.tot as UPGRADE
5. Boot phone into recovery mode and wipe data
6. After phone is finished setting up, install Terminal Emulator from the Play Store
(This is copied from the V20 bootloader unlock, HUGE thanks to all of those devs for sharing their dirtysanta code with me and allowing me to modify it!)
7. Copy all the files from inside the "dirtysanta-boot" and paste it into your active ADB directory
8. Plug your device into the computer and verify ADB is working. Then;

On Windows, double-click "RUNMEFIRST.bat, DO NOT CLOSE THE LOG WINDOW THAT OPENS, then double-click "Step1.bat"

On Linux/MacOS ("#" Signifies a comment below)

Code:
./RUNMEFIRST.sh
# OR
bash ./RUNMEFIRST.sh
Open a Separate Terminal next to the RUNMEFIRST terminal, then type:
Code:
./Step1.sh
# OR
bash ./Step1.sh
(When you run The sh or Bat files there may be a Permission denied error on 2 files: Flatland and Flatland64. This is normal and nothing to worry about.)

9. Wait for a shell prompt, then type (or copy):
Code:
run-as con
chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*
10. Open Up Terminal Emulator on your phone
Type:
Code:
id
Check if context is "Untrusted_app". If it is then we're good to go!

11. Type into Terminal Emulator:
Code:
applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta
12. Watch the RUNMEFIRST dialog for when it tells you to run Step2 (we don't have a step 2)
13. Reboot the phone into recovery mode and wipe data again
BOOM! Now the you have a userdebug kernel running on a userdebug system Time to turn off dm-verity

1. Finish setting up the phone and enable USB Debugging in developer options (you should know how to do this)
2. Plug the phone into your computer, and run these commands
Code:
adb root
adb disable-verity
3. Reboot the phone
4. Run
Code:
adb root
adb shell
mount -o rw,remount,rw /system
Bam. Enjoy your FULL UNLIMITED root shell with system set to rw and dm-verity off!!! Just make sure to type "adb root" before "adb shell"
If you ever want to go back, just flash the LS992ZV4_04.tot with UPPERCUT and you'll be all good!

BUY ME A PIZZA FOR THE HARD WORK: BTC 197ct1uti4zutJu76bYAW51H8NZ6zXeoEV (sorry, no PayPal :/)

@tungkick for the userdebug boot and helping me with the ZV4 TOTs
@autoprime for UPPERCUT
@me2151 @glitschi667 @EMSpilot @elliwigy for their AMAZING work on the V20 and sharing their code!
@schiziodd for showing how to hex edit TOT

Hello, I am working on the root for the Verizon V10 and I came across this today. I was wondering how you made the userdebug.tot because I know this will work on it, Dirty Santa works up to the same point as you, so i'm wondering if I could do this and maybe even get supersu to work. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to abine45 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abine45 Ad-Free
23rd December 2016, 05:47 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
@Honestly Annoying could it be possible for you to "spoof" the firmware info and change the variant (LS992ZV4) to other locked g5 (such as the h831 h860..) so we can try to flash it via uppercut and see how much it's broken ?
28th December 2016, 06:46 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag chicago

Donate to Me
More
Update: Now works on all devices running antirollback v0!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Honestly Annoying For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Honestly Annoying Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
at&t, h840, lg g5, root, verizon
Previous Thread Next Thread