FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HW Mod] Improve performance, prevent thermal throttle

1,476 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,142

By jaggyjags, Senior Member on 26th July 2018, 02:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Inspired on this hardware mod I followed on my Nexus 4 years ago I decided to experiment with my LG G5 after experiencing unstable performance while gaming, tried tweaking the software with kernels and roms but with no noticeable results longterm.

This mod is fairly easy, there is a 0.6mm gap between our processor-ram chip and the metal frame under the screen, I didn't find a copper plate to use and didn't want to wait to order it online so I made one by stacking copper wires and soldering them together, then gradually trimming it with sand paper, so performance could be even better. Used thermal paste on either side, stick the plate on the chip side first and apply some pressure. Attached pictures of the process and benchmark results. Results can be repeated indefinitely with no variation within the margin of error. Ambient temperature is very hot here in the south of Spain, with no AC used.

Rom used is Lineage 15.1 by x86cpu stock kernel with no tweaks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180726_135256~01.jpeg
Views:	5494
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	4558395Click image for larger version

Name:	20180726_135500~01.jpeg
Views:	5436
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	4558396Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180726-WA0007.jpeg
Views:	5336
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	4558397Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_CPU_Throttling_Test_20180726-150643.jpeg
Views:	5116
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	4558398Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_3DMark_20180726-151910.jpeg
Views:	4948
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	4558399Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_3DMark_20180726-153412.png
Views:	4862
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	4558429Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_3DMark_20180726-153402.png
Views:	4604
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	4558430

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jaggyjags For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jaggyjags Ad-Free

29th July 2018, 06:51 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Murcia

Donate to Me
More
Here are 4 consecutive antutu runs at 32°C ambient temperature, before doing so I was streaming in twitch with it for a while. (phone with mod)

https://i.imgur.com/zPivOMH.png

https://i.imgur.com/sxk1uEK.png

https://i.imgur.com/YTPoPOD.png

https://i.imgur.com/1vvuvuN.png
29th July 2018, 09:18 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
awesome work.. i see this run very well in past, with snapdragon 810 smartphones based. But i think if us use a metal glued in back part of the lg g5, maybe the overheat down, because lg g5 body is a aluminum material, used like sink of temperature... anyway, this score is very high and stable... better than the lg g6 (SNAPDRAGON 821) and lg v20 (SNAPDRAGON 820). thanks for sharing us, your great work Maybe I try this in my lg g5 h830 👍
The Following User Says Thank You to sedrake For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sedrake Ad-Free
30th July 2018, 12:09 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Murcia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedrake

awesome work.. i see this run very well in past, with snapdragon 810 smartphones based. But i think if us use a metal glued in back part of the lg g5, maybe the overheat down, because lg g5 body is a aluminum material, used like sink of temperature... anyway, this score is very high and stable... better than the lg g6 (SNAPDRAGON 821) and lg v20 (SNAPDRAGON 820). thanks for sharing us, your great work Maybe I try this in my lg g5 h830

Thanks! The processor on LG G5 is on the other side of the motherboard, it makes no contact to the back of the phone sadly, it would work even better. The good thing is that the screen frame is also made of metal and generates plenty of dissipation.

30th July 2018, 05:15 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggyjags

Thanks! The processor on LG G5 is on the other side of the motherboard, it makes no contact to the back of the phone sadly, it would work even better. The good thing is that the screen frame is also made of metal and generates plenty of dissipation.

LOOK THAT... Not to great score like your internal mod, but awesome external mod... for me 👌
The heat pipes is very very hot. So, the lg g5 use your aluminum body like a thermal condition... my score have 2k more with thermal pads and dreamcast heat pipes 🤣
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180729-182926.jpg
Views:	2394
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	4561035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180730-001957.jpg
Views:	2372
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	4561036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180729_181222.jpg
Views:	2160
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	4561037   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0235.jpg
Views:	2376
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	4561038  
5th August 2018, 12:20 AM |#6  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

Inspired on this hardware mod I followed on my Nexus 4 years ago I decided to experiment with my LG G5 after experiencing unstable performance while gaming, tried tweaking the software with kernels and roms but with no noticeable results longterm.

This mod is fairly easy, there is a 0.6mm gap between our processor-ram chip and the metal frame under the screen, I didn't find a copper plate to use and didn't want to wait to order it online so I made one by stacking copper wires and soldering them together, then gradually trimming it with sand paper, so performance could be even better. Used thermal paste on either side, stick the plate on the chip side first and apply some pressure. Attached pictures of the process and benchmark results. Results can be repeated indefinitely with no variation within the margin of error. Ambient temperature is very hot here in the south of Spain, with no AC used.

Rom used is Lineage 15.1 by x86cpu stock kernel with no tweaks.

Attachment 4558395Attachment 4558396Attachment 4558397Attachment 4558398Attachment 4558399Attachment 4558429Attachment 4558430

I have a metal cover over my chips. How did you pull that off and did you have any issue with interferance after that? I assume thats what its for.
5th August 2018, 03:55 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Murcia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettezo7sp

I have a metal cover over my chips. How did you pull that off and did you have any issue with interferance after that? I assume thats what its for.

What you see it's just a metal shield hold together with some clips, use your finger nail or the tip a knife to gently lift it up, it's reversible. It was probably intended to protect against electromagnetic interference but I'm pretty sure it's a preventive measure with no real benefits of having it on, the other three covers are still used and I believe no radio chips are on the section I removed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaggyjags For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jaggyjags Ad-Free
11th August 2018, 01:16 AM |#8  
Flag Houston

More
Quote:

What you see it's just a metal shield hold together with some clips, use your finger nail or the tip a knife to gently lift it up, it's reversible. It was probably intended to protect against electromagnetic interference but I'm pretty sure it's a preventive measure with no real benefits of having it on, the other three covers are still used and I believe no radio chips are on the section I removed.

Got it! Used a artic thermal pad. When playing games I get a blue spot on the screen where the processor is it gets so hot so I know it working. Max temp is 58 degrees Celsius. Must have put something together incorrectly because my touch screen jitters a bit swiping like not all the digitizer sensors are seeing my figure. I do, thanks for the post. These phones are so cheap though. If I need another ill just buy one for 60$.
11th August 2018, 01:51 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Murcia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Got it! Used a artic thermal pad. When playing games I get a blue spot on the screen where the processor is it gets so hot so I know it working. Max temp is 58 degrees Celsius. Must have put something together incorrectly because my touch screen jitters a bit swiping like not all the digitizer sensors are seeing my figure. I do, thanks for the post. These phones are so cheap though. If I need another ill just buy one for 60$.

Thanks, I used sand paper to make it the right thickness, if the metal plate is too thick you will see a purplish shadow on that area, it's just caused by too much pressure under the screen, try it several times without thermal paste until you see no shadow. The 0.6mm I said was my guess comparing it with some coins and their widths, it may be 0.5mm, don't have the right measurement equipment. Don't worry, the blue spot will go away completely.

It makes sense for the shadow to be worse with heat because metal expands slightly with it. The motherboard should lie nearly flat over the screen frame after you put all the screws.

I'm not sure about the touch screen responsiveness, had no issues on my test even with slightly thick metal plate, could go away without the screen stress under it.

11th August 2018, 02:04 AM |#10  
Flag Houston

More
Quote:

Thanks, I used sand paper to make it the right thickness, if the metal plate is too thick you will see a purplish shadow on that area, it's just caused by too much pressure under the screen, try it several times without thermal paste until you see no shadow. The 0.6mm I said was my guess comparing it with some coins and their widths, it may be 0.5mm, don't have the right measurement equipment. Don't worry, the blue spot will go away completely.

It makes sense for the shadow to be worse with heat because metal expands slightly with it. The motherboard should lie nearly flat over the screen frame after you put all the screws.

I'm not sure about the touch screen responsiveness, had no issues on my test even with slightly thick metal plate, could go away without the screen stress under it.

Its actually perfectly responsive, just not smooth. May be an app I installed so I will try resetting first. Not sure how I would file down a thermal pad. Its like a gritty rubber. Here's the link to what I got: ARCTIC - Thermal Pad 50 x 50 x 1.0 mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYTTDO6..._wvJBBbP1943TM Its super efficient. Maybe I could take it apaart again and press on the voard to flatten it a bit more.
11th August 2018, 02:13 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Murcia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Its actually perfectly responsive, just not smooth. May be an app I installed so I will try resetting first. Not sure how I would file down a thermal pad. Its like a gritty rubber. Here's the link to what I got: ARCTIC - Thermal Pad 50 x 50 x 1.0 mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYTTDO6..._wvJBBbP1943TM Its super efficient. Maybe I could take it apaart again and press on the voard to flatten it a bit more.

Oh, I misunderstood, probably 1mm thermal pad makes too much pressure on the screen when trying to flatten it to half of its thickness.

I found very cheap metal plates on ebay and aliexpress which is always better in terms of thermal conductivity compared to thermal pads. Or maybe thinner pads are also available.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/3277382...?source=images

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg g5, mod, performance, temperature, thermal throttle

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)