Ergonomics (in-hand feel)

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Please, no "that's what she said" jokes. Rate this thread to express how you think the LG G5 feels in-hand. A higher rating indicates that it's comfortable to hold for long periods of time, even in one hand. Resist the urge to say "TWSS" just now. Seriously.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Smithfolk4

Jul 21, 2014
Rockville, MD
Not used to the Volume Buttons

I sometimes hit the volume buttons when I don't mean to. Probably because I am used to having them on the back instead of the side.

jreed3786

Sep 28, 2008
Rockford, IL
Phone feels GREAT in hand!

Coupled with a Goospery TPU case...it's the PERFECT size, and protected decently! I'd choose this size phone over my Note 3!!!

jinkerz9430

Sep 12, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I sometimes hit the volume buttons when I don't mean to. Probably because I am used to having them on the back instead of the side.
I think the volume on the side is better than the back one for the following reason. When you are in sitting in a table studying and hearing music, if you want to increase or decrease the volume, you dont have to pick up the phone just because the buttons are in the back. Also, when you are driving if you are using a gps, it is more useful to have them on the side if you are constantly increasing and decreasing the volume. (Just an opinion)

madmax988

Sep 6, 2012
I think the volume on the side is better than the back one for the following reason. When you are in sitting in a table studying and hearing music, if you want to increase or decrease the volume, you dont have to pick up the phone just because the buttons are in the back. Also, when you are driving if you are using a gps, it is more useful to have them on the side if you are constantly increasing and decreasing the volume. (Just an opinion)

I like buttons on back way better. You can always adjust volume on screen for the rare times you have it flat on a table, and to be honest you really can't use side buttons 1 handed without picking it up, or bracing it against something, or covering screen with hand anyways.

jinkerz9430

Sep 12, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I like buttons on back way better. You can always adjust volume on screen for the rare times you have it flat on a table, and to be honest you really can't use side buttons 1 handed without picking it up, or bracing it against something, or covering screen with hand anyways.
There you go lol. That's why there are a wide variety of colors. (Figurativerly speaking though) This one just happened to be black instead of blue (Again, figuratively speaking). But you can adjust the volume with one hand without the need of the other or picking up the device. Or am i just happen to be so skilled to do it? hahaha

Last edited:

AdamRahman

May 25, 2016

Totally agree. About the only time I'd prefer them on the back is when I'm holding it in both hands. I generally find myself holding it in my right hand only though and it feels great, I can reach almost all of the screen without overreaching even with my bumper on. I prefer the S7 edge in this respect but the G5 still scores highly.

galr

Jun 18, 2014

I'm not fond of the side volume buttons.. But regarding the awful implementation of these keys on the G5, it is totally solved by a case.

XeroemoXmageX

Dec 29, 2013
Cape Town
I would prefer the volume rocker to be on the right hand side of the phone, or even better, at the back. Besides that, it fits like a glove

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
I would prefer the volume rocker to be on the right hand side of the phone, or even better, at the back. Besides that, it fits like a glove

I agree. While I would have preferred the volume buttons were on the right side, overall, it's a very comfortable phone. Especially considering how wide it is.

The only other issue that I have with it is that I really like and am getting so used to the power button being on the back of the phone. Whenever I have to use my wife's phone, I start fishing in the back of the phone with my finger standing there confused wondering why I can't find the power button on her S6. lol

#sprintemployee

duke69111

Dec 3, 2010
Kansas
My thoughts on the G5:

It's top heavy because of the light plastic at the bottom. I feel like its going to fall out of my hand at the top because the weight is not equally distributed. It feels nice in the hand outside of that.

The volume rocker is all wrong. They need to put it back on the rear of the phone. Coming from the G2 and G3, I hate having the volume rocker on the left side as I keep pressing the power button trying to change the volume. It also makes taking a screenshot really awkward and hard to do. At the very least put it on the right side of the phone. The only benefit I see to having it on the left side of the phone is that you can still use your thumb to take a photo yourself or a group using the rear camera. However; this could easily be accomplished on the right side of the phone with your index finger.

The headphone port needs to be moved back to the bottom of phone. Not a fan of it at the top.

The slight curve at the top of the phone is a neat touch; however my tempered glass screen protector has not showed up to see how well that will fit.

I haven't noticed the lip where the bottom connects to the phone's body as mentioned in a lot of the reviews.

Lg needs to start supplying 6' charging cords. The G5 cable is even smaller than the G2 - G4's cables.

Side note: Stupid Verizon removed the Smart Settings / My Place from their version and I wish they would leave the LG browser and Smartworld app installed.

Last edited: