Outdoor visibility (max brightness)

Search This thread

Rajaasim1980

Jan 20, 2013
Lg g5 has very poor display indoor and outdoor. My old galaxy s5 is more bright and crisp at 50% brightness as compare to 70% brightness of LG G5. LG G5 maxium brightness is like 60 percent brightness of S5..not good for surfing and reading web pages

myabc

Jan 27, 2006
This is a phone problem. Someone tell that with Last 10e firmware it's better but not solved. Brightness, specially of alwaus on screen, in sunlight is very bsd. Defect hard!

Reactions: kriszna

kriszna

Jun 3, 2013
I do not mean that the problem is with the screen in the sun . Only that the maximum brightness is weak . One can hope that future updates will improve anything ?

myabc

Jan 27, 2006
maximum brightness is weak IS A LIE !!! under sunlight is the problem. the phone is like others for brightness

kriszna

Jun 3, 2013
Screen G5 is set to maximum brightness , the Xperia next approx. 75 % .
c91b60d494c0513b6b10a1c51ebbd642.jpg

myabc

Jan 27, 2006
Lg g5 is a phone, not a lamp!!!! Lg g5 has a brightness like a phone. I suggest not find pics but go to a shop and buy the phone you like more. The problem of lg g5 is brightness under sunlight!!!! Under sunlight!!!!

Bastienhere

Oct 24, 2015
Screen G5 is set to maximum brightness , the Xperia next approx. 75 % .
c91b60d494c0513b6b10a1c51ebbd642.jpg

Thermal throbbing my friend, thermal throbbing.

G5 is quite battery savy when it comes to brightness. if the phone gets too hot, the MAX brightness is lowered.
After a benchmark, it's obvious that the screen brightness will go down on it's own.

Try this: Take your cold G5, put on max brightness with auto and go in harsh sunlight, point the light sensor directly. you will see the screen brightness suddenly jumped higher, but not for long, as the phone gets warm fast in sunlight + with this screen brightness.

Reactions: kriszna

myabc

Jan 27, 2006
someone told that firmware 10e solved this problem, but that firmware is only for one brand carrier and only few people can test!!!!

brancangekibe

Sep 10, 2015
Napoli
Ok so, i examined the logcat of my g5 in detail regarding the screen brightness.
Results:
AUTO OFF: at 100% the value reported in logcat is 255
AUTO ON: Strong Flashlight point blank on sensor, never went over 255. :rolleyes:
Outside, i ll try today.
It does become incredibly bright, like double the brightness....but sunlight needs to be strong
on h850, v10d

Last edited:

fire3d

So this (as it looks like) is a Thermal Problem, when i'am out in the Sun and i cannot see the display good the phone thinks it's to hot and reduces the Display Brightness to cool down
(or get cooler due to the Brighness limitation).

Anyone here who knows if the "problem" can be fixed or edit the the right parts of the files:

system\etc\thermal-engine-8996.conf
system\etc\thermal-engine-default.conf

to avoid this?

I try now these days to reduce Core&GPU freqs to keep the device cooler when i'am out in the sun

nchantmnt

Jan 26, 2012
Edit thermal-engine-8996.conf:

[LCD_MONITOR]
action_info 255

That should disable thermal throtteling for screen brightness.

Have it running for some days already and didnt run into any heat issues yet.
Does it work? I think so, but maybe just placebo ;)
But still use with caution

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

shaneel1491

Apr 1, 2011
Ok so, i examined the logcat of my g5 in detail regarding the screen brightness.
Results:
AUTO OFF: at 100% the value reported in logcat is 255
AUTO ON: Strong Flashlight point blank on sensor, never went over 255. :rolleyes:
Outside, i ll try today.
It does become incredibly bright, like double the brightness....but sunlight needs to be strong
on h850, v10d
255 is max byte size and is technically 100%

brancangekibe

Sep 10, 2015
Napoli
Edit thermal-engine-8996.conf:

[LCD_MONITOR]
action_info 255

That should disable thermal throtteling for screen brightness.

Have it running for some days already and didnt run into any heat issues yet.
Does it work? I think so, but maybe just placebo ;)
But still use with caution

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

Going to try, ty: outdoor brightness and thermal throttling in general is the biggest problem of this otherwise wonderful device.

As far as sunglasses every phone I have ever had always has issues with visibility.

Sony Xperias are awesome outside, the new Samsungs fare pretty well, and i need to admit my Fiancee's iPhone fares pretty well too. There actually was a Sony Xperia i owned which screen pixels were made up of 4 subpixels instead of 3: R, G, B, and a white one which made outside viewing no different from inside. Really awesome.
Actually, this Lg has the worst visibility i've run into lately. Apart from that, love it, will try the thermal throttling tweak, but i confess that every evening i pray to open Xda and find a "max brightness mod". :)

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
So this (as it looks like) is a Thermal Problem, when i'am out in the Sun and i cannot see the display good the phone thinks it's to hot and reduces the Display Brightness to cool down
(or get cooler due to the Brighness limitation).

Anyone here who knows if the "problem" can be fixed or edit the the right parts of the files:

system\etc\thermal-engine-8996.conf
system\etc\thermal-engine-default.conf

to avoid this?

I try now these days to reduce Core&GPU freqs to keep the device cooler when i'am out in the sun
The G3 and G4 also did that. Was one of the main reasons I never bought them. Really sad to find out that the G5 also has this.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my experience so far:

bought one (gold), in outdoor under direct sunlight, the screen was unreadable, from time to time the "super brightness" kicked in for about 1-2 seconds, than gone off again

tought it was defective, got a new one (silver)

same exact problem

my friend bought one: same exact problem

asked on twitter, found one owner, same exact problem

now... i really, really hope is a software thing, a bug, something like that, because when this super brightness turns on the screen is gorgeous under direct sunlight, but the problems is that it doesn't kick in when it have to, and even shoot photos with a sunny day is simply impossibile

the phone was on v10a when i bought it, i'm on V10c now and the problem is still here....
    I have great outdoor visibility. In direct sunlight I see the display boost up to compensate for the environment. I was worried about this at first but works great. As far as sunglasses every phone I have ever had always has issues with visibility.
    my experience so far:

bought one (gold), in outdoor under direct sunlight, the screen was unreadable, from time to time the "super brightness" kicked in for about 1-2 seconds, than gone off again

tought it was defective, got a new one (silver)

same exact problem

my friend bought one: same exact problem

asked on twitter, found one owner, same exact problem

now... i really, really hope is a software thing, a bug, something like that, because when this super brightness turns on the screen is gorgeous under direct sunlight, but the problems is that it doesn't kick in when it have to, and even shoot photos with a sunny day is simply impossibile

the phone was on v10a when i bought it, i'm on V10c now and the problem is still here....
    Have the same problem eith my G5 and i cant find answer on internet.
    Someone could help ?
    Even at max brightness it can be hard to see in direct sunlight.
    You must set the brightness to "Auto" in order for the brightness sunlight boost to kick in. Setting the brightness to maximum will also block the boost.
    This is a phone problem. Someone tell that with Last 10e firmware it's better but not solved. Brightness, specially of alwaus on screen, in sunlight is very bsd. Defect hard!