FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Overall love

815 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,601

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 18th April 2016, 03:02 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
12th June 2016, 11:58 PM |#21  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougs

I upgraded from an S3 that had been in service since it's release and had never failed me. It just became a bit dated and the battery was due for replacement. I caught the G5 for $1 at Best Buy so I said what the hell. My first unit didn't last 12 hours before dying. However the replacement is on it's 4th charge/discharge cycle and is seamless. I hope that the first unit was just a fluke because this thing hums. I hadn't even tested any other phones since owning the S3 so the speed and fluidity of the G5 blows me away. I cannot wait for rooting capability to customize it even though the factory setup isn't bad and not as restrictive as others I have dealt with in the past. I am giving it 3 stars for now due to the DOA unit I first received though.

JD

Same here... Had s3 since it's release and I was pretty satisfied with it. Phone served it's time and I got new LG G5... I was bit sceptical at first but I gotta say I am pretty satisfied with G5, everything is snappy and fast. Battery life is great, at the end of the day I have 25-30% left. Only thing I am disappointed is it's build. I like the metal build but it doesn't have "the feel" of it, I don't know how to describe it. Anyway... I hope G5 will serve me as s3 and hopefully better.

15th June 2016, 10:09 AM |#22  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Why you hate Lg
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve

Well, I hate this phone. Mine couldn't survive a 12" drop onto a parking lot without severely shattering the display.

Bro why you hate android phone. LG is very popular mobile and millions of user can loved it..
15th June 2016, 04:46 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I owned an LG G2 since launch; it was the best smartphone I ever had. It was also the first smartphone I ever broke - shattered the screen after only a year. I ended up buying the Motorola Nexus 6, which turned out to be a huge disappointment tbh. The G5 though, so far, has been fantastic!

I love the camera! The Nexus 6 had the most basic, boring and slowest camera I have ever experienced on a smartphone. The wide angle camera is amazing and I love the full manual mode! Battery life has been great too, which was my biggest issue with the Nexus 6 - it couldn't even make through my work day without needing to be charged in the afternoon (it charged fast, but come on). I've been averaging 12-14 hours on my G5 with 3-5 hours SOT, auto brightness, NFC and Bluetooth (I have a smartwatch), WiFi while at work and at home, LTE everywhere else. The screen is BRIGHT! I have no problem walking to work and using my phone while wearing sunglasses! I could never do that with my Nexus 6. This is my first phone with a fingerprint scanner and I am really impressed at how responsive it is. Honestly I think the speakers/max volume is quite loud - something I was a little worried about since the Nexus 6 had the speakers on the front of the device, but after using the G5 for a week this is no longer a worry.

I received an update when I first bought it but I have not received the app drawer update for some reason. Not a big deal, but odd I think. I can't wait until we get some custom ROMs for this device so I can flash a stock/non-carrier branded image to this device and get rid of all that crap bloatware! My only complaint so far is the bloatware AT&T stuck on it, but that's to be expected with a carrier branded device.
27th June 2016, 12:45 PM |#24  
Flag Central Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve

Well, I hate this phone. Mine couldn't survive a 12" drop onto a parking lot without severely shattering the display.

Before I put mine in a case it hit the ground at least 3 times and once was from 3 feet high where it slipped from my hand and landed face down on a concrete driveway and didn't leave a scratch on the screen. The other times it hit the corner and did leave a couple dings in the case.

JD
28th June 2016, 09:30 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougs

Before I put mine in a case it hit the ground at least 3 times and once was from 3 feet high where it slipped from my hand and landed face down on a concrete driveway and didn't leave a scratch on the screen. The other times it hit the corner and did leave a couple dings in the case.

JD

Shaky hands..?

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris010

I owned an LG G2 since launch; it was the best smartphone I ever had. It was also the first smartphone I ever broke - shattered the screen after only a year. I ended up buying the Motorola Nexus 6, which turned out to be a huge disappointment tbh. The G5 though, so far, has been fantastic!

I received an update when I first bought it but I have not received the app drawer update for some reason. Not a big deal, but odd I think. I.

I'm coming from a G2 which is still an amazing phone! The only real reason I upgraded is for the better camera.

Regarding the app drawer update, Just open LG smartworld and get it from there. It's called Home & App Drawer.
7th July 2016, 01:30 PM |#26  
Flag Qormi, Malta

More
I love my G5!
7th July 2016, 04:42 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroemoXmageX

The auto-brightness is on point (but gets a little too low in a dark room to make watching videos or gaming comfortable).

Yeeeeup. I've noticed it gets too dark in even a dim room if it's facing a poorly-lit wall, or gets stuck at really dim settings occasionally... Maybe 10d fixed the getting stuck part!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroemoXmageX

Battery charges fully in 28min from 1% whilst turned on. It's blazing fast. I have games in the background that I get back to hours later, and the memory never fails. Best phone I've ever owned.

You get it done in less than a half hour?! I've gotten it charged in about 50 min at its fastest... Of course, if I left it alone during that time, maybe...
16th July 2016, 04:27 PM |#28  

More
Barely functional, much slower than my G4. Phone always claims it has a full signal but nothing loads. The camera on snapchat fades to black every half a second. Nothing really works.
18th July 2016, 10:52 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
After a couple of months with the G5 I finally found how to express my feelings toward it: I don't care about it.

I don't hate it (it does a good job, it is fast enough, it has enough storage, the battery barely lasts long enough but charges quickly, it's not way too big, ....) but there really is nothing about it that I love.

- The camera doesn't disappoint, but the aspect ratio limits me as a photographer. The second camera is a gimmick that is useless in daily operation.
- The overall design is boring.
- The haptics of the phone doesn't matter because I have to use a TPU cover to keep the curved glass on the top from chipping again on slightest impact.
- The stock LG apps (Music, contacts, launcher, camera, etc.) don't even play in the same ballpark as the ones from Google or Sony (the predecessor was a Xperia Z2)
- The update frequency is not what I expected from a flagship phone. (I only do OTAs and as of today July 18th 2016 the patchlevel is from April 1st 2016).
- I have the camera-grip but it doesn't provide any real benefit for the awkward bulkyness it adds to the phone. So I think the module concept will go down memory lane as a "nice try".
- GPS reception is definitively worse than I'm used coming from the Sony Xperia Z2

I could continue this list of "boooooring" for a while.

If you ask me "Why did you buy it in the first place?" the answer is simple: At that time it was the only non-Samsung flagship on the market that had an up-to-date chipset.
19th July 2016, 07:12 PM |#30  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 62

More
After owning mine for several days, my opinion is that it's a very nice phone. Definitely a worthy replacement of the G3 anyway. Everything is an improvement except perhaps the minor decrease in battery capacity, the painted back (would rather have faux metal like the G3 or just the aluminum by itself), and currently the inability to root (H820 model). I would rate it 4 out of 5.
20th July 2016, 07:23 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
poor dual sim management not poor extremely poor. camera is not even close to huawei p9. huawei p9 camera is far better than g5. build quality is just like cheap Chinese fone. that what i think after using it couple of days. huawei p9 is win win in all.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)