[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][US997/H870][rel_o2/rel_t2][2018-06-08] Melina TWRP v3.2.1

Search This thread

jimbomodder

The TWRP changes are in the ramdisk, so start with the latest release. Wherever the theme files are in the ramdisk, mine are just TWRP's with a tint applied to them to go from blue to purple, so replacing the theme images with TWRP's defaults should work in theory.
Ok, well I tried by replacing the whole twres folder and repacked but still came out purple. Not sure what to do next.

zefie

Dec 30, 2007
Upstate NY
the.midnightchannel.net
I did, replaced all with stock blue and repacked, flashed and still purple. I know I'm fussy and I do appreciate your work, but it's just a personal preference.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

oh right, there are some color definitions in the xml files too.

Edit: Here, use the attached gz file and do the following:
  1. Start over with current Melina TWRP initrd untouched
  2. extract it, and change directory to "twres" under the initrd
  3. reverse apply the attached gz patch (either gunzip it or something like zcat ~/melina_theme.diff.gz | patch -R -p1 while in the "twres" dir.
  4. if you did it right (I tested locally), it should patch all the xml and png files successfully (see here)
  5. You now have default TWRP theme (with images and xml) without losing Melina features.

I don't change the theme files often, if at all, so this patch likely works across all older, and even probably some future releases of Melina TWRP, unless a theme change comes from upstream.

Attachments

• melina_theme.diff.gz
    59.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

jimbomodder

oh right, there are some color definitions in the xml files too.

Edit: Here, use the attached gz file and do the following:
Start over with current Melina TWRP initrd untouched
extract it, and change directory to "twres" under the initrd
reverse apply the attached gz patch (either gunzip it or something like zcat ~/melina_theme.diff.gz | patch -R -p1 while in the "twres" dir.
if you did it right (I tested locally), it should patch all the xml and png files successfully (see here)
You now have default TWRP theme (with images and xml) without losing Melina features.

I don't change the theme files often, if at all, so this patch likely works across all older, and even probably some future releases of Melina TWRP, unless a theme change comes from upstream.
Ok thanks zelfie

mrbeem

Nov 25, 2016
Just find and replace .png files
Hi zefie. Just wanted to let you know... TWRP for h870 does now work with oreo. I mean flashing the recovery.img goes ok, but when i try to enter the recovery i see twrp welcoming screen for a couple of seconds and then the phone reboots and restores the stock recovery. In other words, twrp flashes ok but does not stick :). Any chance for a quick solution??;)

eleete0712

May 29, 2009
Hi zefie. Just wanted to let you know... TWRP for h870 does now work with oreo. I mean flashing the recovery.img goes ok, but when i try to enter the recovery i see twrp welcoming screen for a couple of seconds and then the phone reboots and restores the stock recovery. In other words, twrp flashes ok but does not stick :). Any chance for a quick solution??;)

Same here but the same also happens on stock twrp.

Probably you must root after twrp flash, like on nougat

Cannot flash anything because twrp doesn't boot up. Just the splash screen and then the phone reboots itself before twrp reaches it's main screen.

jimbomodder

You need to flash this first , then format data as it's encrypted again and then you can flash Melina recovery in current twrp. Once done reboot back to recovery and you will have Melina's twrp

Attachments

• twrp-3.1.1-0-h870.zip
    16.7 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Originrm

Aug 21, 2016
Rome
I still get some errors everytime i reboot into twrp (with and without melina twrp).
I can't access internal storage from recovery or mount data.
Logs included :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-19-10-02-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-19-10-02-41.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 620
  • dmesg.log
    355.9 KB · Views: 1
  • recovery.log
    24.7 KB · Views: 5

shakathesaint

Jan 12, 2009
I have the exact same issue after Oreo update. Every time I reboot into TWRP I can't mount /data (I formatted it before of course).

Same problem here.
It seems to be a common problem of TWRP with Oreo, but after some research I found that modded versions of TWRP for other phone models have been released to solve the issue. So I hope something similar happens here.:D:angel:

tgm28

Dec 20, 2010
Łódź

russtyd

Mar 11, 2011
As you say :D
There is a fix for note 8 ( https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-8/how-to/fix-twrp-data-mount-issue-oreo-t3768928 ) <-- maybe this will help someone to create a fix for G6

Foolishly I upgraded from an earlier version to t2 as I was having problems with Oreo as described (I was using recovery_TWRP_H870-3.2.1-0_melina_exFAT_timefix_sdext_purple_v2.img) - before I upgraded to the latest t2 version it was possible to reformat DATA as EXT2 and then back to EXT4 and it cleared the issues around failing to access Data - with t2 this didn't work either so I couldn't restore my Nougat TWRP backup and my only option was to UPPERCUT the stock 20A KDZ so I'm now back to stock/unrooted.... at least for a while :)

So, not a fix but a workaround possible in whatever changed between latest and the older version of TWRP?

Reactions: tgm28

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This recovery has been superseded by Eliminater74's TWRP.
    This post and its files remain for archival purposes.

-- Old OP --

Note: I no longer own this device. To help test, join my Testing Discord (Please read the rules presented when you join.)

Note: There is a known bug with restoring backups. If you need to use the backup/restore features, please do not use Melina TWRP until rel_o3 is released, which has no eta.

The following releases are unofficial and will always be due to dirty edits.

However, it offers the following features over the official release:

Oreo Only Features:
    • Integrated Melina Kernel (rel_o2) into TWRP build system (rel_o2 or newer)
    • Oreo kernel (nougat kernel cannot mount unencrypted /data for some reason) (rel_o1 or newer)
    • Disabled encryption (rel_o1 or newer) (Note: LGE uses forceencryption now, and also has a script to replace your custom recovery with their own. Please flash my anti-root removal tool, which will remove rctd, forceencrypt, and the anti-custom-recovery script)

Nougat/Oreo Features:
    • Integrated Melina Kernel (rel_nr2) into TWRP build system (rel_t2 or newer)
    • Integrated uber-toolchain 6.x for kernel compilation into TWRP build system (rel_t2 or newer)
    • Stability and performance increases over rel3 (rel_t1 or newer)
    • /vendor partition support (if you have not repartitioned, which at the time of this release, 99% of you haven't, then you may get an error in TWRP regarding mounting storage. This is safe to ignore) (rel_t1 or newer)
    • /misc bootloop fix (rel_t1 or newer)
    • Date and time fix (msm8996 workaround) (mixed reports, but works for me on US997 with Stock and Fulmics ROMs, see this post for more information)
    • Option to wipe LG lockscreen security settings when restoring data partition (workaround for known issue where sometimes you get locked out of restored stock ROMs)
    • NTFS support (untested, should allow NTFS USB-OTG for restoring backups and flashing zips, read-only)
    • SD-Ext support (including backing up and restoring, both ext4 and F2FS supported thanks to Melina)
    • Purple theme, because purple is cool
    Based on J0SH1X's work.

Downloads (bold is current):

Usage:
    Unzip file and flash recovery.img

Please keep in mind I only have the US997 so help test this for H870!

Current Known issues:
    • Restoring backups does not work, due to tar process terminating with error 255.
    • You must format data when coming from a stock ROM due to LG using forceencrypt.
    Fixed issues:
    • Disabled encryption (fixed in rel_o1)
    • E:Unhandled flag: 'removeable' (fixed in rel_t2)
    • Slow SDCard Performance (fixed in rel_t1)
    • MTP reliability (fixed in rel_t1)

GPL (dev info):
    Read the readme on the github.

If my releases help you, please leave a thanks. If you are able, please consider a tip (check the small link in my sig).
    Update:
    (warning: barely awake ramble typing again)

I have been looking into this alot and, I really don't know why the hell its doing it, but I traced the tar restore problem back to Melina Kernel itself.

Why? I have no idea, but after further attempts, I found there is a built-in tar system for TWRP, but also tried switching from Busybox tar to Toybox tar, and even compling a static build of gnu tar. Nothing helped because there seems to be something going on at the kernel level. To confirm this, I tried the spliced Melina 3.1.1 (which wasn't actually Melina kernel when I thought I tried it the first time, I flashed the unmodified image on accident during that test), and sadly, yes, it failed to restore.

Creating backups with all current versions of Melina TWRP seems alright, but restoring will not work until I pinpoint this issue. You should be able to restore on an unmodified 3.1.1 for now.

Obviously I am not happy about this. I do not understand why Melina works flawlessly in the OS, but not in TWRP. Since Melina is based on the LGE kernel (and the kernel in 3.1.1 is the LineageOS-hacked kernel), I feel there is something in the LGE kernel that either 1) is fighting TWRP (not likely) or 2) is misconfigured (most likely).

I have been busy IRL but I will look into this more when I get a chance and will definitely figure out a way to make it work, even if we have to remove Melina kernel (tho that kinda messes up the naming eh?).

Stay tuned.

P.S. If you are using Melina Kernel for your main kernel, I would not let this announcement worry you, since Melina Kernel is for stock ROMs, I believe the ROM is doing the proper configuration to prevent the issues. And no issues exist in the OS environment that I have seen. If I had to speculate, I probably need to check out more of the init.rc files and properly set up some variables, maybe the Low Memory Killer or something.

I would however, suggest not to use Melina TWRP until rel_o3, which has no ETA.
    Well, I'm still not sure yet but its likely the G6 will leave with them. She'll probably keep her iPhone but her husband uses Android and his phone looks like a bullet hit it. Anyway, I will continue to develop for the G6 the best I can. At the very least I will work on fixing up Melina TWRP so that it can support backups and encryption without issues. However, I will be needing testers that are willing to flash test builds often (never a brick, can always KDZ out, but data loss is a possibility).

I probably won't have time to work on development until after the July 4th holiday.
    If you are interested in helping test, please join my Testing Discord (Testers and those interested in development progress only. No support for public releases will be given on this server! For support, please continue to use the XDA threads or XDA Discord.)

Both us997 and h870 welcome.
    LG has pushed v20a for the US997, my FOTA is installing as we speak, and a test build of melina is already waiting. Then I will start addressing TWRP.

In the meantime, if you are hyped, or any of my releases have helped, consider that tiny tip/dono link in my sig. :)
    So I have been looking into why tar is so unstable in my TWRP. Melina kernel is not the cause, because I spliced Melina kernel into the famous 3.1.1 TWRP image and tar worked fine.

However, even running tar on the cli with Melina TWRP 3.2.1, I had it exit with errors. Compressed and even uncompressed, it seems it crashes at a certain point in the file, specifically after a large number of files (about 17000 for me).

I am build rel_o3 soon but I do not honestly think it will fix the issue. I believe the issue is the busybox binary, as even TeamWin has had issues. We have been using the busybox they updated to already tho.

However other changes were synced from upstream, so we'll have to see. Stay tuned.