FORUMS

[ROM][8.1][US997][UNOFFICIAL]LineageOS 15.1(2018.06.18)

65 posts
Thanks Meter: 92

By natemckn, Member on 11th March 2018, 03:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Latest update (8/13): I've been busy recently and haven't had the time or motivation to spend much time on this. Personally, I flashed over to x86cpu's builds (https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...lg-g6-t3789468) as they're almost the same as what I was building anyway and he definitely knows what he's doing more than I do. If you decide to move from mine to his, make sure to flash the "to-x86" conversion zip, as his are signed differently and will corrupt your data if you flash directly over mine. Feel free to use my old builds if you want, I'll keep the thread and download links up for now in case I decide to resume development at some point in the future. Thanks for the support, it was fun, hopefully 15.1 for G6 goes official soon

Disclaimer
Your warranty is now void.
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Project description

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
With the help of many in the Telegram channel, I have build LOS 15.1 from source for the US997.
I’ve been using these builds for a few weeks and have been happier than when I was using 14.1 official builds, but of course your mileage may vary.

How to install:
Wipe Data/Factory reset.
Format System.
If you're coming from stock Oreo, flash the nougat bootloader or fingerprint won't work on this ROM
Flash the ROM.
Flash 8.1 Gapps.
(Optional) Flash root method of choice. (As of 0325, you can use magisk, superSU or other root methods)

Known Bugs:
  • 5 GHz Wi-Fi hotspot broken
  • 4K video recording broken
  • Always on display doesn't use the low power screen - it will drain battery quickly when its on
  • USB MTP (file transfer) is broken (it works in recovery so you can switch to that to copy file if needed) **
  • VoLTE broken
  • Encryption - Reports that enabling encryption leads to bootloops - Needs further testing
  • CDMA on Verizon must make call out after reboot in order to have incoming calls/txt working
  • Poor mic quality when using speakerphone
  • Possibly more

Working Features:
  • Oreo 8.1 with June security update
  • Boots
  • RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth playback and mic (I made a call successfully and until proven otherwise, it seems the BT mic issues are isolated to H870 and does not affect US997)
  • NFC
  • GPS
  • Camera, including Gcam, and wide cam in apps that support it like the built-in LOS Snap cam and Open Camera (except 4k video recording)
  • Video Playback (L1/HD DRM playback working, unlike 14.1)
  • Audio (Audio levels have been tweaked but may still need further adjusting)
  • Fingerprint (currently only works on Nougat bootloader)
  • Flash
  • Quick charging (PD and QC and wireless chargers)
  • Off-mode charging (plugging the phone in when its off/dead properly boots into charging only mode)
  • SD cards including exfat
  • No CPU stuttering bug like 14.1 has

Downloads:
The ROM - lineage-15.1-20180618-NateVM-UNOFFICIAL-us997.zip changelog
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=962339331459001292
md5: d97392e7f7b9f91cce760ee572483d5b

Older versions available here

**Modded TWRP recovery - recovery_melina-TWRP_v3.2.1_18-03-10_NateVM_LGUS997_CacheAsVendor_rel1.img
ecb5f0a062bd26e87eaa0e206ec71d6e
**As of 0325, this is unneeded and likely to cause different issues, use any other us997 compatible recovery.

http://opengapps.org - ARM64
CStark27’s GCam mod recommended (and supports wide angle)
**Fixed in 0618 release

Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/2T7pd

Credits:

Lineage OS team
Rashed97 and x86cpu, the official LOS maintainers
EvilHowl
Rc420Head
J0SH1X
CPL593h
Imaginovskiy
Zefie
And everyone else in Telegram helping test builds and report bugs

About Me:
I am very much a newb at ROM building. I've been using CM/LOS for years and one of the main reasons I bought the us997 was that it is "officially" supported by LOS. But I was disappointed to find that the official 14.1 builds for G6 had some major issues (like CPU performance) and after using it for a few months it felt like I took a big step backwards when I upgraded from my Nexus 5x. So I started searching around to see if anyone had been able to fix those issues and found Evilhowl's unofficial H870 14.1 builds had CPU performance fixed. Since nobody seemed to care about building a version for us997, in January I took it upon myself to attempt to learn how to compile the ROM myself.

While learning how to do my first build, Evilhowl and others in telegram started making some breakthroughs on getting 15.1 builds to run. Since I was attempting to build from source anyway, I decided to see if I could build LOS 15.1. After many attempts of trial and error, I got 15.1 to build and worked with the H870 guys to get some additional fixes merged. By cherry-picking specific fixes from h870 and other devices on the LOS gerrit, I got a ROM that I'm happier with than the 14.1 official release.

Since I've been using this ROM as my daily driver for a few weeks and multiple people in telegram had been asking about it, I figured I would post it here on xda to share once I got everything uploaded to github. I'll do my best to keep the list of features/bugs in this post up to date, and I'll see what I can do to try to fix some of the things, but since I'm still quite new at this, I can't promises I'll actually be able to fix much myself. If anyone has any clues or potential fixes from other devices that may help fix any of the known bugs, please let me know. I'm just hoping some things get fixed upstream by the LOS team or some of the H870 devs figure out a fix and I can copy stuff from them.

LineageOS 15.1 unofficial, ROM for the US997 LG G6

Source Code: https://github.com/natemckn/android_kernel_lge_msm8996/
https://github.com/natemckn/android_...sm8996-common/
https://github.com/natemckn/android_...lge_g6-common/
https://github.com/natemckn/android_device_lge_us997/

ROM OS Version: 8.1 Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.102
Based On: LineageOS 15.1

Version Information
Latest Version: lineage-15.1-20180618

Created 2018-03-11
Last Updated 2018-06-18

FAQ

Q. First time setup wizard crashes:
A. Get latest official gapps from opengapps.org. Older unofficial gapps are known to crash setup wizard.

Q. All the H870 Oreo releases talk about flashing a kernel after the ROM, do I do that here?
A. Everything is in the built in kernel now.

Q. Wifi and/or BT don't work! In about system, mac address shows as all 0s
A. You wiped your /misc which overwrote your mac address. Other LG devices have been able to fix this with the follow procedure, but I have not tested it on G6: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...0&postcount=12

Q. How do I know if I'm using your old modded recovery? You're dumb for not making any interface changes to identify it!
A. You're right, in hindsight that was dumb to release a modded version with no distinguishing features. Go to the Mount menu in TWRP. Look for "Cache" or "Vendor". If your TWRP version shows "Vendor" then you have my old modded one, switch to a different TWRP in order for any new builds to flash properly. If your TWRP version shows "Cache" as a mountable partition then you have a normal good recovery

Q. Fingerprint doesn't work! The option is missing from the menus
A. This ROM assumes you have the Nougat baseband/firmware since we were working on this before Oreo became available. If you updated to stock Oreo prior to flashing this ROM, then you have the Oreo baseband/firmware, which is known to break fingerprint. The only fix right now is to flash back to Nougat baseband in order for this ROM to work properly. You can flash the 17A (Nougat) baseband from here:
https://files.persona.cc/zefie/files...otloader-only/
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to natemckn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift natemckn Ad-Free
11th March 2018, 06:44 PM |#2  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Using the US997 , updated today but phone wont charge while on, i have to charge in twrp, any idea? last version was fine.
11th March 2018, 06:52 PM |#3  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidel™

Using the US997 , updated today but phone wont charge while on, i have to charge in twrp, any idea? last version was fine.

I noticed when I first switched to this type of build my battery stats were really messed up for a bit and when I plugged it in it wouldn't act like it was charging. After using it for a few hours and doing a restart, I noticed the started working correctly again and when I plugged it in it charged as normal and has worked fine since. So I think give it a few hours and a restart or two to re-calibrate and see if it starts charging?
The Following User Says Thank You to natemckn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift natemckn Ad-Free
12th March 2018, 04:26 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I see you already edited OP, but just wanted to document that SuperSU does not work in this version. Is the link for the last version still up somewhere? Specifically for US997?
12th March 2018, 12:47 PM |#5  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4s2cg

I see you already edited OP, but just wanted to document that SuperSU does not work in this version. Is the link for the last version still up somewhere? Specifically for US997?

Here's the download link for the last no treble build I did from a few weeks ago:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939826837
The Following User Says Thank You to natemckn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift natemckn Ad-Free
12th March 2018, 03:47 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemckn

Here's the download link for the last no treble build I did from a few weeks ago:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939826837

Thanks!

Couple things to report on the build in OP for US997: booting up goes straight to bootloop unless I manually go to twrp and make it do a system reboot from there. So far that method worked 1/3 times. When it doesn't work it goes into a bootloop once and then just turns off. Also, it might be turning off at random times (turned off during class while charging) and if I try to turn it back on it says that it doesn't enough power to boot. Plugging it into a charger will let it turn on (again, into a bootloop until I go to twrp manually) and once in the OS it showed 75% battery level.
12th March 2018, 04:09 PM |#7  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks!

Couple things to report on the build in OP for US997: booting up goes straight to bootloop unless I manually go to twrp and make it do a system reboot from there. So far that method worked 1/3 times. When it doesn't work it goes into a bootloop once and then just turns off. Also, it might be turning off at random times (turned off during class while charging) and if I try to turn it back on it says that it doesn't enough power to boot. Plugging it into a charger will let it turn on (again, into a bootloop until I go to twrp manually) and once in the OS it showed 75% battery level.

Damn, sorry that its not working for you. I did a couple wipe and flash tests over the weekend to make sure things were working as expected before posting here and I never had a problem getting it to boot (except when I tried Magisk). I did notice some battery stat weirdness for a while but it went back to working normally and charging normally after about an hour and a reboot and hasn't been a problem for me since.

Can you try the 0208-noTreble build linked to see if the same problems happen there, or if its related to the experimental changes that were added since then?
12th March 2018, 05:27 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemckn

Damn, sorry that its not working for you. I did a couple wipe and flash tests over the weekend to make sure things were working as expected before posting here and I never had a problem getting it to boot (except when I tried Magisk). I did notice some battery stat weirdness for a while but it went back to working normally and charging normally after about an hour and a reboot and hasn't been a problem for me since.

Can you try the 0208-noTreble build linked to see if the same problems happen there, or if its related to the experimental changes that were added since then?

Actually I've been using the February version for a couple weeks with no major issues, just some minor bugs like sometimes the screen turns on blank (just turn off and on again) and the touchscreen is not responsive if the phone turns off b/c of battery levels (just reboot again).
12th March 2018, 06:22 PM |#9  
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 45

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Actually I've been using the February version for a couple weeks with no major issues, just some minor bugs like sometimes the screen turns on blank (just turn off and on again) and the touchscreen is not responsive if the phone turns off b/c of battery levels (just reboot again).

Same boat here; been using the 2/8 build for a while with no major issues. Wasn't able to get the new build to boot yesterday, but now that I know there's an extra step or two I'm going to try flashing the new build again sometime this week.
12th March 2018, 06:47 PM |#10  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
OK, I've got a lead on the battery weirdness. It seems that every time you boot into this recovery, it does something to the battery stats, so when you boot into system it bugs, and for me appears stuck at 50%. A single reboot seems to fix it (until you go into recovery again). I'll poke around the recovery some more to see if I can get that fixed since I'm pretty sure its a result of something I did.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to natemckn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift natemckn Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 02:01 AM |#11  
Flag Russell springs, KY
Thanks Meter: 75

Donate to Me
More
What bugs are fixed in this new build compared to the Feb build?
Thanks again for bringing 8.1 to the us997. Be awesome if u or somebody else capable got the time to build a ResRemix Oreo for us997
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)