Camera Lens Scratches

Search This thread

atmu5fear

Nov 21, 2013
Orangeville
qualityaluminum.ca
We can clearly see that both phones had undergone the same use and treatment. They were not treated well. Ignoring the camera lens, both phones have apparent hairline scratches. The coating on the power button at the back of the G4 was even chipped off).
The camera lens border and the volume/power buttons on the G4 may have protected the camera lens from touching the surface, where the G6 lacks.

The only thing that can protect the phone is to put it on a case. Nothing more can change that fact.

The power button isn't "chipped" off, it's worn off from being pushed multiple times a day for 2 years lol. 2 years of use and that's the only mark on it. As opposed to the G6. I don't care what you think or say, she babies her phones. No phone under normal use should have the camera lenses that scratched after only a few weeks of normal use, ESPECIALLY when a previous model from the same family, underwent the exact same use, and has a RAISED lens, and 2 years later doesn't have a single mark on it. That's a tell tale sign of using inferior materials. I'm not saying people shouldn't use cases, I'm saying if you're gentle with your phone, the camera lens shouldn't look like it was rubbed vigorously with sand paper for 3 hours after only a few weeks of normal use. "Ignoring the camera lenses..." ya, let's ignore the key point of the post comparing a lens 2 years old that's flawless to a lens 6 weeks old that's mutilated under the same use in a fraction of the time and focus on how the paint was worn off the power button after being used. Makes a ton of sense.

Reactions: blackhawk_LA

SVR

May 29, 2014
Rajahmundry
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xg6vo6kcfmpk95/20180922_125537.jpg?dl=0

Within 4 months mine had the fog above. I returned to LG and they said it was my fault as it was caused by scratches on the lens. They accepted no responsibility. It's made me so angry that it's the last LG I'll ever own. When it gets back to me I'm going to polish as suggested and sell on eBay.
Many have the same feeling towards LG. They are not accepting their manufacturing defect.

adorable

May 29, 2012
Any camera lens can get scratched.
LG G2 until today's G6 - I've always cut a tiny bit of plastic screen protector to size and stuck it over the back camera.
Now, Only the screen protector gets scratched and is easily changed.

adorable

May 29, 2012
My babied LG G6 lens is the same as the G2 - over time, it collects scratches easier than the sapphire lens phones. Only way is to add a glass camera protector from eBay or cut a piece of clear lcd film protector and apply.
The Annoying thing is that the flash if covered by the film bleeds bluish light into any flash photo. If you trim the plastic and the edge of the film isn't opaque, it can still pickup light as a lightguide.

Definitely one of the unfixed LG problems anoying us still from the 2013 G2 era.

Darius_bd

Aug 27, 2010
Santiago + Gdynia
My babied LG G6 lens is the same as the G2 - over time, it collects scratches easier than the sapphire lens phones. Only way is to add a glass camera protector from eBay or cut a piece of clear lcd film protector and apply.

The Annoying thing is that the flash if covered by the film bleeds bluish light into any flash photo. If you trim the plastic and the edge of the film isn't opaque, it can still pickup light as a lightguide.

Definitely one of the unfixed LG problems anoying us still from the 2013 G2 era.
Well, of course glass will collect scratches easier than sapphire, can't cheat physics.

But I remember a friend's G4 that got foggy after a couple months of use. In the end, there was a protective plastic cover over the lens that got easily scratched. He just has to apply a xacto knife to it to get it removed (it's hard to scratch glass with it) and the phone went back to normal.

I wonder if foggy G6s also have this as mine is like 2 years old and it has no scratch on it, and I don't use any cover, nor I care too much for the phone (I've dropped it around 10 times id say?)

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk

adorable

May 29, 2012
Yes, glass can scratch, but the type used for the camera cover is more readily scratched than the surrounding Gorilla Glass, or other covers (glass or sapphire) on other phones.

No idea why LG went cheap with this important part because it's been driving us users nuts since the G2 days.

I threw on a plastic screen protector cut to size and an ultra thin plastic phone cover on this week to provide protection and extra distance from tables while reducing the slipperiness. Hopefully, this will allow both the camera cover and glass back to remain in good condition until I upgrade.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Polywatch works to remove the coating without hurting the glass. I have done this as I posted earlier on. Very little effort is required to remove the coating.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Second this. Noticed hairline marks on mine, so used polywatch and my fingertips to rub the coating off. Quick tip, use masking tap to protect the surrounding glass. I initially did that, and used a cotton swab, but it didn't work as well so i took it off and used my finger. Bad move.

There is some sort of oleophobic coating on the back glass panel too. so for mine the coating was removed surrounding the camera lens. On the bright side, it's not visible unless the area is wet, and my camera lens is now perfectly clear again. Not going to bother removing the rest of the coating on the back panel since it'll likely wear out naturally over use.

This is while rubbing the coating off. the left side is cleared, and you can see the middle bit where the coating is.
    2017-04-28.jpg

Final result
    2017-04-28.jpg
    Got my Nillkin H+Pro screen protector kit. It came with the lens protector (as it should!) :)

It covers the lens. Not much else to say.

Fun facts:

1) It is not tempered glass, but I kinda figured that would be the case
    2) The kit comes with two lens protectors.
    3) There is a hole in the middle for the flash.
    4) Kit comes with a very nice (and shiny) tempered glass screen protector for the front screen but that's besides the point... :p
    5) The English instructions are about as awful as you'd expect but I "adsorbed" it

The lens cover itself I scratched a bit when installing to get the adhesive off, but better than permanent scratches. The other one is scratch free. With it being in a recessed case though I don't imagine the scratching of the protector will be an issue. I don't notice a difference in photos. The camera glass on my phone is like new though I did manage over the course of 20+ days to create one very thin scratch over a lens. It is nearly impossible to find with a light as I have to chase for it so I can't imagine it would have any effect on photos... irregardless, this is a good solution I think to stop scratches and I get a screen protector out of it so woo. Which I wouldn't have bought anyway since I am good with my stuff, so who knows, it may save me more $$$ in the long run :p

rNG7wsc.jpg

bcX74Uu.jpg

aD215d2.jpg

tILlF0A.jpg

PSAVNh3.jpg
    Hello,
    So I jumped the gun and ordered the Polywatch as recommended by people here. First I was a little worried about applying it, but I ended up doing it and here is my update:
    Instruction:
    1- I tapped all around the camera to prevent the chemicals from rubbing on the back of the phone.
    2- I used Q-tips and started from one corner of the camera lens
    3- After 2-3 min of applying I used a wet cloth to cleanup the lens, to see the effect (Note: Initially it feels like you are making a mess, things look discolored and awful)
    4- Kept applying a little bit at a time
    Final results:
    The lens looks completely clean. All scratches are gone. It is kinda difficult getting all the corners, but you really need it to be clean in front of the camera.

Tips:
    - Don't press too hard, you definitely don't want to break your lens cover.
    - Also be careful not to rub up and down too much, I kind of felt that the lens cover was getting loose a little, this might effect the water resistance (I don't know for sure of course)
    - Dont worry about getting every single corner. I bought a dbrand lens cover, and put it on the lens, so now only the portions in front of the camera is visible.

Testing the camera:
    All pictures came out looking fine. Nothing I can notice! Will do more testing and let you know.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

http://imgur.com/a/5KghT
    They aren't scratches, its a ****ty coating as I just found out.

I used Mcguire's polishing compound on a Dremel polishing wheel at low speed and its all gone. The darkish coating came off and its perfect again. Looks brand brand new. I have no idea if it was anti glare, or was supposed to be removed before shipment. The picture quality seems the same.
    I work in a US Cellular store and EVERY one we have sold, including mine, has scratches. I have had mine in a case for the 4 days I have owned it and never cleaned it with anything but the soft cloth I carry at all times for my glasses and cleaning phones. This is seriously an issue.