FORUMS

New G6 H870DS Arrived (and it's good) - My First Impressions...

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By Harooshum, Junior Member on 17th May 2017, 10:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone, I bought the H870DS unlocked from China to the UK and wanted to share my initial findings. S8 would have been nice but decided on the G6. My research into which model to get offline led me to the H870DS for it's more fuller features - I don't particularly need 2 sims but it's nice to have if needed.

* 64gb storage - as I understand it, most countries around the world or even all single sim models have 32.
* I'm LOVING this 18:9 shape, easy to hold and having plenty screen real estate is lovely to use, especially web pages and text as more content can be seen vertically.
* Screen to body ratio.
* Build quality and feel of the device.
* Flat screen (as opposed to the s8\s8+) is nice to use and to install screen protectors.
* I'm delighted to discover I do indeed have... QUAD DAC I thought only the G600(x) models had this?! But I do and I'm happy.
* Lightweight OS, closer to pure Android than I expected, no bloatware / only minimal extras.
* That wide-angle camera!!
* Built-in email app is excellent for using multiple email accounts, better than my old Xperia and no need to use third party.
* Fingerprint scanner works just fine.

Dislikes:
* Doesn't pick up 5ghz Wifi networks which shocked me but not the end of the world. Online searching revealed others with this issue and there's a way to bring back 5ghz capabilities for the G5 (and some other non-LG devices) but nothing about the G6. Maybe this is an H870DS thing but if anyone knows a way to get 5ghz I'd appreciate it.
* Only used the camera briefly and so far disappointed with the lower light snaps. I'm looking into how to use the more advanced and manual settings.
* Typing fast is less accurate than my old Xperia. I'll look into alternative keyboards.
* Still at 7.0.
* Factory restore - In all my Android devices I've been able to encrypt the internal storage just before doing a factory restore, but I can't find a way to do this on my G6 - Only to encrypt the external SD card - again if I'm missing something let me know.
* I don't think I have wireless charging (only American models), I'm unable to test, but I really don't mind.
* LG has not added any HDMI capabilities this time, no MHL or Slimport. Fair enough I can use a Chromecast or Miracast etc, but cable'd video out would be nice for me.

I look forward to unlocking the bootloader and rooting and custom ROMS when these things become more established. Anyway thanks for reading!

h.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Harooshum For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Harooshum Ad-Free
18th May 2017, 05:03 PM |#2  
Flag Ho Chi Minh city
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harooshum

Hi everyone, I bought the H870DS unlocked from China to the UK and wanted to share my initial findings. S8 would have been nice but decided on the G6. My research into which model to get offline led me to the H870DS for it's more fuller features - I don't particularly need 2 sims but it's nice to have if needed.

* 64gb storage - as I understand it, most countries around the world or even all single sim models have 32.
* I'm LOVING this 18:9 shape, easy to hold and having plenty screen real estate is lovely to use, especially web pages and text as more content can be seen vertically.
* Screen to body ratio.
* Build quality and feel of the device.
* Flat screen (as opposed to the s8\s8+) is nice to use and to install screen protectors.
* I'm delighted to discover I do indeed have... QUAD DAC I thought only the G600(x) models had this?! But I do and I'm happy.
* Lightweight OS, closer to pure Android than I expected, no bloatware / only minimal extras.
* That wide-angle camera!!
* Built-in email app is excellent for using multiple email accounts, better than my old Xperia and no need to use third party.
* Fingerprint scanner works just fine.

Dislikes:
* Doesn't pick up 5ghz Wifi networks which shocked me but not the end of the world. Online searching revealed others with this issue and there's a way to bring back 5ghz capabilities for the G5 (and some other non-LG devices) but nothing about the G6. Maybe this is an H870DS thing but if anyone knows a way to get 5ghz I'd appreciate it.
* Only used the camera briefly and so far disappointed with the lower light snaps. I'm looking into how to use the more advanced and manual settings.
* Typing fast is less accurate than my old Xperia. I'll look into alternative keyboards.
* Still at 7.0.
* Factory restore - In all my Android devices I've been able to encrypt the internal storage just before doing a factory restore, but I can't find a way to do this on my G6 - Only to encrypt the external SD card - again if I'm missing something let me know.
* I don't think I have wireless charging (only American models), I'm unable to test, but I really don't mind.
* LG has not added any HDMI capabilities this time, no MHL or Slimport. Fair enough I can use a Chromecast or Miracast etc, but cable'd video out would be nice for me.

I look forward to unlocking the bootloader and rooting and custom ROMS when these things become more established. Anyway thanks for reading!

h.

I have 2 notes:

- My G6 have 5ghz wifi connection, I think it's up to your router? My router support n mode (2.4ghz) and ac mode (5ghz). And I connect to both wifi

- About the keyboard, try Gkeyboard (previously Google keyboard). It works flawlessly on LG G6.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my LGM-G600K using Tapatalk
18th May 2017, 09:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Very interesting... could you please verify the Dutch language is supported in the H870DS?
I'm a bit worried about the wifi, the specs says it supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + MIMO. Could you please check another 5 ghz router?
Thanks!
19th May 2017, 11:01 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
There might be a bug with 5GHz WiFi on LG G6.
I have noticed the phone was not seeing my 5GHz wlan at home. After restarting the G6 it was able to connect to 5GHz wlan again.
19th May 2017, 12:56 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
It is very different to the H870? I have been searching a bit and I have seen that there are some different network frequencies, have you got any problems with connectivity?
19th May 2017, 08:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhdoe11112

Very interesting... could you please verify the Dutch language is supported in the H870DS

There is Dutch language on hd870ds
The Following User Says Thank You to menane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift menane Ad-Free
20th May 2017, 05:27 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
My wifi 5G okClick image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2017-05-20-18-26-02.png
Views:	1988
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	4156184

Enviado desde mi LG-H870DS mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tonime For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tonime Ad-Free
22nd May 2017, 04:26 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Look at your wifi router settings. Maybe you have to change your 5GHz network from 80MHz to 40MHz
29th May 2017, 03:46 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I'm European (living in Italy) and i need a dual sim top-end smartphone. I've been considering the new G6 and I could get it for a fair price on eGlobalCentral.
Is the GPS working fine in the UK or does it need any configuration? Is there any Chinese bloatware or anything that would look out of place for European use? Thank you.
30th May 2017, 10:21 AM |#10  
Flag Bordeaux
Thanks Meter: 71

More
Non ti preoccupare Gpat.
I bought a taiwanese H870DS from Eglobal, it arrived in four days from UK, the GPS works just fine here in France, there's no bloatware at all, nothing in chinese and no exotic stuff. Molto soddisfatto!
The Following User Says Thank You to pomponazzo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pomponazzo Ad-Free
30th May 2017, 01:37 PM |#11  
Flag Pretoria
Thanks Meter: 491

Donate to Me
More
GPS works great and no funny Chinese etc. bloatware.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)