[SUBSTRATUM] LG Tweaks and LG compatible overlays

Search This thread

valentind.44

Feb 9, 2011
This thread is about using substratum on our LG G6. Substratum allows you to customize every aspect of a device. It's better than LG Themes because you can select different settings and make your theme unique, it allows more customization.

Substratum + Andromeda

First, you need substratum. Substratum is free if you’re rooted. If not, you have to pay for the Andromeda add-on.

With the “no root” method, you will be able to install overlays (themes). If you restart your device, the theme will stay, but if you want to change it/uninstall/install a new one, you will have to connect your phone to your pc and run Andromeda.

Compatibility

Not every substratum overlay you will find on the play store is compatible with the LG G6 !!! (our device runs a customized version of Android by LG) You shouldn’t install an overlay unless you know it is compatible with your device.
If an overlay is not compatible, at best it will just do nothing, at worse it will soft-brick your device.

Troubleshoot

You must know how to use developer settings and ADB !
If you’ve installed a wrong overlay, you can still try to recover your device :

-Make sure you’ve started your device and connect it to your computer (the same computer you ran the Andromeda server on)
-Open a command promt (cmd on Windows)
-Execute the following command :
Code:
adb shell
-If this works, you’re into your device and you can save it! Type
Code:
cmd overlay list
-This will list every installed overlay on your device. Look for the overlay causing the issue. It should look like this “[x] com.android.systemui.overlayname.etc”
-Once you’ve found it, disable it, running this command
Code:
cmd overlay disable com.android.systemui.overlayname.etc
(replace with the overlay name you found earlier)
-Your device should be safe, you can also try to restart it.

Compatible overlays

To prevent such issues, and to help us customize our beloved LG G6, we should establish a list of compatible overlays.

LG Tweaks (Download attached to this post.)​

Is open source ! https://github.com/valentind44/LGTweaks Don't hesitate to contribute.
An overlay made for basic customization of our LG G6.
It can :
- Change SystemUI Color
- Change navbar theme
- Change statusbar theme
- Enable LG's hidden icon shape choice (Circle, Square)
- Disable jelly homescreen overscroll effect
- Choose more navbar colors
- Disable dialog blur effect
- Dot home page indicators
- Round settings icons
- Google Phone theme for LG Dialer
- Android P actionbar color
- Hide VPN icon

S72pnzg.png

Credits :
- Pixel status icons + Android P, Android P Clean, Parapaper and Pixel navbars by @OhayouBaka (https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8+/themes/theme-statusbar-icons-extras-samsung-t3658050)
- Min, Elegant and Simple navbars by Rohit Chouhan (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rc.navigate)
- HTC M8, Edge, MI4, Neon, Slim, Solid and Samsung navbars by zipalign cypher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zipalign.navbars)
- Solid + Pixel style QuickMemo, Notification Shade, and Multitasking buttons and Pixel Blue accent color by @ProfessorProspector

Some overlays were not compatible with the LG G6 so I included their resources so we, G6 users, can use them too !

If the developers make their overlays compatible with LG devices I'll remove their resources from LG Tweaks.

Thank the original graphic designers for their work.

Tools used :
- Extracted system APK’s from the LG G6 using Amaze File Manager
- Apktool
- Substratum theme template
- Android Studio Preview
- Notepad++
- Imagemagick (batch transform images, used to resize navbar icons, script used at the end of this post)
- Gimp

Changelog:
---> Previous changes / view complete changelog <---
V1.5
- LG Home : round page indicator
- LG Settings : round settings icons
- LG Dialer : Google Phone theme
- LG System Resources : Android P actionbar color (and disable list separators)
V1.6
- T-Mobile signal icons theming
- Hide VPN icon
- Updated heroimage

K-Klock

Will soon be compatible with our device.
It will be able to change statusbar disposition (Center clock, signal icons on the left, notifications on the right)

Substweaks

What works :
- Change Navbar height (I use Height-40)
- Rounded Recents
What doesn’t: - Clock Placement – Center /!\ Will crash your SystemUI, do not try !!! Recoverable using the Troubleshoot method given above.

Do not try any other option unless you know how to troubleshoot.

Attachments

• Source-assets+ImageMagickScript.zip
    136.4 KB · Views: 737
  • LG_Tweaks_V1.1.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 565
  • LG_Tweaks_V1.2.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
  • LG_Tweaks_V1.3.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 470
  • LG_Tweaks_V1.4.apk
    1.6 MB · Views: 237
  • LG_Tweaks_V1.5.apk
    1.6 MB · Views: 596
  • LG_Tweaks_V1.6.apk
    1.7 MB · Views: 9,193
Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: TiDuS059

valentind.44

Feb 9, 2011
@WiwiPouPou

You're welcome! Thanks for your feedback.
I ported the statusbar icons as well as some navbars.
I couldn't port QS icons for now, it needs more work to be done. Anyway you will see that LG's QS icons are very close to stock Android, it shouldn't bother you too much when you will receive your device.

Je suis de Nantes aussi! Ca fait plaisir :D

bigjbell

May 9, 2012
Boston
Thanks so much for this! I've been wanting something like this for a while.

One issue I found though, with the custom status bar icons, the cell signal icon alignment gets thrown off when T-Mobile's LTE indicator appears next to it - is there any way to retheme that lte icon as well or at least fix the alignment? (The alignment of the cell icon is fine when connected to WiFi or something other than LTE) (I tried to add a screenshot but the XDA app won't let me and I don't have access to my computer)

I'm on an H872, the T-Mobile varient, if it matters. I'd be happy to give you any extra info you need.

darek1995

Jun 22, 2017
I'm on stock O with magisk.
K-Klock isn't works for me. Anything what I'm changing, the app says:
"An unexpected error occurred. Sorry for the inconvenience."
And has two options:
1, Restart app
2, Error details

Here is the details:
Build version: 27
Current date: 2018-06-01 18:53:09
Device: LGE LG-H870

Stack trace:
java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occurred while executing doInBackground()
at android.os.AsyncTask$3.done(AsyncTask.java:353)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.finishCompletion(FutureTask.java:383)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.setException(FutureTask.java:252)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:271)
at android.os.AsyncTask$SerialExecutor$1.run(AsyncTask.java:245)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1162)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:636)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error modding rom I think:
org.zeroturnaround.zip.ZipException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: File doesn't exist: /storage/emulated/0/K-Klock/userInput/SystemUI.apk
at kpchuck.kklock.utils.ApkBuilder.doInBackground(ApkBuilder.java:148)
at kpchuck.kklock.utils.ApkBuilder.doInBackground(ApkBuilder.java:41)
at android.os.AsyncTask$2.call(AsyncTask.java:333)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
... 4 more

User actions:
2018-06-01 18:53:01: MainActivity resumed

murok9042

Dec 14, 2012
München
LGTweaks works fine with rooted Stock Oreo. Big thanks!

But Substweaks does not - for using rounded recents.
Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to compile it first and than activate it in substratum?

Sent from my LG G6 (H870)

twentyfourinc

Sep 16, 2015
awesome! and the G6 will be nice to look not with that boring theme available on LG smartworld or PS
but sadly i ve H870DS with nougat, and still ccant unlock bootloader

bou87

Feb 28, 2016
can you add statusbar of samsung s9? its very cool, thanks for your work

Thanks so much for this! I've been wanting something like this for a while.

One issue I found though, with the custom status bar icons, the cell signal icon alignment gets thrown off when T-Mobile's LTE indicator appears next to it - is there any way to retheme that lte icon as well or at least fix the alignment? (The alignment of the cell icon is fine when connected to WiFi or something other than LTE) (I tried to add a screenshot but the XDA app won't let me and I don't have access to my computer)

I'm on an H872, the T-Mobile varient, if it matters. I'd be happy to give you any extra info you need.

Could you test Flux theme ? Statusbar icons preserve alignement & padding on Samsung, just but it, test then cancel before 15 minutes to get refund, i will try on some Time if you don't !

Pukka99

Feb 17, 2016
Any plans to open source your LG Tweaks overlay? I would love to try contribute. I think it could become very good for giving the LG ROM a more stock android feel.

Reactions: WiwiPouPou

valentind.44

Feb 9, 2011
@bigjbell

Unfortunately, I can't find any t-mobile related graphic elements in my H870 (European LG G6) system resources.
You can send me your LGSystemUI.apk file, as well as a screenshot of the issue, when you will have access to a computer, so I can look into this issue.
You can copy LGSystemUI.apk using a file manager (Amaze file manager for example) it's in /system/priv-app/LGSystemUI/LGSystemUI.apk .

@darek1995

I am not the developer of K-Klock. Karol Przestrzelski will release a new version in a few weeks that will be compatible with the LG G6.

@murok9042

Rounded recents with substweaks should work. K-Klock also supports rounded recents, you will de able to try it in a few weeks.

@twentyfourinc

You will be able to use it without root when you'll get the Oreo update.

@Pukka99

I was thinkin about pushing it to GitHub so everyone can contribute. Here you go : https://github.com/valentind44/LGTweaks
I'm looking forward for your contribution ;)

valentind.44

Feb 9, 2011
@bou87

To implement them, I need the statusbar icons in transparent png format for every signal state (wifi reception 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, cell receptionicon etc...). Can you find them somewhere so I can do this ? Are they the same as the ones on the S8 ? I'll try to see what I can found.

@darek1995

No, I'm sorry you'll have to wait 1-2 weeks for K-Klock to be updated. The only other way I know of on our device is using Mark Bencze's Alpha overlay.

@murok9042

I'm glad you figured it out.

@WiwiPouPou

I couldn't port QS icons for now, it needs more work to be done. Anyway you will see that LG's QS icons are very close to stock Android, it shouldn't bother you too much when you will receive your device.

Status bars are perfect, no mislignement for me on stock Oreo ! And QS are indeed very close to stock, thanks a lot!

Perfect !

bigjbell

May 9, 2012
Boston
Could you test Flux theme ? Statusbar icons preserve alignement & padding on Samsung, just but it, test then cancel before 15 minutes to get refund, i will try on some Time if you don't !

I didn't test anything else because I didn't want to push it, but status bar icons from the Flux theme do not have any effect on my phone and I still have the stock icons. (T-Mobile, Nougat, rooted)

Reactions: WiwiPouPou

GrovPastaSwag03

Apr 12, 2018
Will I be able to use LG tweaks on stock, unrooted oreo with andromeda, or will I run into a systemUI crash? Also, should I change to the stock theme before changing the accent colour?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018
As you saw and merged, I submitted a PR yesterday. Really liking this, very good work, and I hope to contribute more in the future. Unfortunately I don't know how Substratum works at all, I just kinda copied what you had and crossed my fingers that it worked, luckily it did.

I'm curious how you know what the names of the image files should've been? Is there a way to access system assets somewhere that I can just browse through and see what I can overlay?

Edit: Whoops, I did not mean to quote that guy, sorry!

D

Deleted member 9170927

Will I be able to use LG tweaks on stock, unrooted oreo with andromeda, or will I run into a systemUI crash? Also, should I change to the stock theme before changing the accent colour?

Yes, you can use LG tweaks on unrooted oreo with andromeda without any problems, I use it myself. And yes, you need to use stock LG theme to be able to change accent colors

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is about using substratum on our LG G6. Substratum allows you to customize every aspect of a device. It's better than LG Themes because you can select different settings and make your theme unique, it allows more customization.

Substratum + Andromeda

First, you need substratum. Substratum is free if you’re rooted. If not, you have to pay for the Andromeda add-on.

With the “no root” method, you will be able to install overlays (themes). If you restart your device, the theme will stay, but if you want to change it/uninstall/install a new one, you will have to connect your phone to your pc and run Andromeda.

Compatibility

Not every substratum overlay you will find on the play store is compatible with the LG G6 !!! (our device runs a customized version of Android by LG) You shouldn’t install an overlay unless you know it is compatible with your device.
    If an overlay is not compatible, at best it will just do nothing, at worse it will soft-brick your device.

Troubleshoot

You must know how to use developer settings and ADB !
    If you’ve installed a wrong overlay, you can still try to recover your device :

-Make sure you’ve started your device and connect it to your computer (the same computer you ran the Andromeda server on)
    -Open a command promt (cmd on Windows)
    -Execute the following command :
    Code:
    adb shell
    -If this works, you’re into your device and you can save it! Type
    Code:
    cmd overlay list
    -This will list every installed overlay on your device. Look for the overlay causing the issue. It should look like this “[x] com.android.systemui.overlayname.etc”
    -Once you’ve found it, disable it, running this command
    Code:
    cmd overlay disable com.android.systemui.overlayname.etc
    (replace with the overlay name you found earlier)
    -Your device should be safe, you can also try to restart it.

Compatible overlays

To prevent such issues, and to help us customize our beloved LG G6, we should establish a list of compatible overlays.

LG Tweaks (Download attached to this post.)​

Is open source ! https://github.com/valentind44/LGTweaks Don't hesitate to contribute.
    An overlay made for basic customization of our LG G6.
    It can :
    - Change SystemUI Color
    - Change navbar theme
    - Change statusbar theme
    - Enable LG's hidden icon shape choice (Circle, Square)
    - Disable jelly homescreen overscroll effect
    - Choose more navbar colors
    - Disable dialog blur effect
    - Dot home page indicators
    - Round settings icons
    - Google Phone theme for LG Dialer
    - Android P actionbar color
    - Hide VPN icon

S72pnzg.png

Credits :
    - Pixel status icons + Android P, Android P Clean, Parapaper and Pixel navbars by @OhayouBaka (https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8+/themes/theme-statusbar-icons-extras-samsung-t3658050)
    - Min, Elegant and Simple navbars by Rohit Chouhan (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rc.navigate)
    - HTC M8, Edge, MI4, Neon, Slim, Solid and Samsung navbars by zipalign cypher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zipalign.navbars)
    - Solid + Pixel style QuickMemo, Notification Shade, and Multitasking buttons and Pixel Blue accent color by @ProfessorProspector

Some overlays were not compatible with the LG G6 so I included their resources so we, G6 users, can use them too !

If the developers make their overlays compatible with LG devices I'll remove their resources from LG Tweaks.

Thank the original graphic designers for their work.

Tools used :
    - Extracted system APK’s from the LG G6 using Amaze File Manager
    - Apktool
    - Android Studio Preview
    - Notepad++
    - Imagemagick (batch transform images, used to resize navbar icons, script used at the end of this post)
    - Gimp

Changelog:
    ---> Previous changes / view complete changelog <---
    V1.5
    - LG Home : round page indicator
    - LG Settings : round settings icons
    - LG Dialer : Google Phone theme
    - LG System Resources : Android P actionbar color (and disable list separators)
    V1.6
    - T-Mobile signal icons theming
    - Hide VPN icon
    - Updated heroimage

K-Klock

Will soon be compatible with our device.
    It will be able to change statusbar disposition (Center clock, signal icons on the left, notifications on the right)

Substweaks

What works :
    - Change Navbar height (I use Height-40)
    - Rounded Recents
    What doesn’t: - Clock Placement – Center /!\ Will crash your SystemUI, do not try !!! Recoverable using the Troubleshoot method given above.

Do not try any other option unless you know how to troubleshoot.

Here's all I know of:

Full support:
    LG Tweaks
    Pixel experience substratum
    Alpha substratum
    K-Klock

Half support:
    Substweaks (nav bar height, rounded recents)
    Fetish: Oreo (Android system accent colour)
    AOSP Black (only 3rd party app theming, but I have heard System UI also works. Doesn't seem to work on mine though)
    Swift black/Swift dark (again only 3rd party app theming. No system UI support at all)
    @WiwiPouPou

@fegitoli

I'm sorry, there is no way that I know of to change fonts on the G6 using substratum (without root).
    You can still use the built-in font changing system. I like the "Yoyo" font (You just need to make the font size a bit bigger because this font is smaller than the regular font).
    @TheLostPG

You can now in LGTweaks V1.6 :)
    @ProfessorProspector

Thanks for your contribution !

To view system assets, you first need to extract specific system apks from your phone. You can do this using a file manager like Amaze file manager or you can use adb :

Code:
    cd %userprofile%/Downloads/
    adb pull /system/framework/lge-res/lge-res.apk
    adb pull /system/priv-app/LGSystemUI/LGSystemUI.apk

Then you need to extract these apks using apktool :

Code:
    apktool d lge-res.apk
    apktool d LGSystemUI.apk

You then have the original resources and you can edit and place them in a substratum overlay !

lge-res.apk corresponds to com.lge
    and LGSystemUI.apk to com.android.systemui

The package name of an apk can be found in its AndroidManifest.xml .

You can proceed the same way to customize other apps.
    Note that xml files can be vector images and can be replaced by png files.

Have a look at these useful tools :
    - Amaze File Manager
    - Apktool
    - Android Studio Preview
    - Notepad++
    - Imagemagick (batch transform images, used to resize navbar icons, script used at the end of the original post)
    - Gimp