Android 9 Pie .kdz

Search This thread

J0SH1X

Account currently disabled
Jan 3, 2014
Aachen
i guess i would be able to flash it on my g7 , but i only have a .up file instead of a kdz and that doesnt work

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
Warning!
From what I read recently; LG has started to use unique RSA keys for each device (within a group, i.e G7) starting with V35 (I think), thus flashing a KDZ from another G7 would definitively cause hardbrick.

Edit: Apparently this was (mostly?) wrong. At least some confirmed models can be cross-flashed.

Last edited:
Reactions: runningnak3d
Well, like I said, not anymore.
IIRC, this is what @runningnak3d said in a tread somewhere (I don't recall exactly, maybe V30 forums).
He is the current resident expert on LG root, and bootloader matters. At least the most active one, and he's provided root for many previous LG devices.

I am definitely not arguing as I dont know the answer 100% myself.

What I DO know for sure is that I can, (and I have) flashed other LG G7's firmware on my G7 (Sprint) through my Octoplus box. This is using the Octoplus box, not LGUP, but if the RSA keys were an issue, I would expect it to not work (flashing another variant .KDZ), or I would expect the device not to work (boot) afterwards. It boots and works just fine. I also know of numerous others who have converted their LG G7's (except TMobile) to the unlocked model (ULM). My understanding was that only the TMobile ones were using a custom RSA key coming FROM TMobile themselves (I could be wrong but this is what I read) and since I dont own a TMobile flavor, I cant test myself to confirm.

In that case maybe I remember wrong, or runningnak3d statement was not accurate (maybe doesn't apply to G7 specifically).

All good, I dont know for sure myself so I cant confirm nor deny anything except for my personal Octoplus flashing. I just want ROOT, thats what I am pressing through to figure out how to achieve. I HATE that LG locks the bootloaders, if I had known prior, I would NEVER have switched from HTC!

LG mobile will go out of business soon enough if they dont cut the crap.

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5
Yeah, not to mention that we don't have a way to fix ourselves bricked devices. It would be a trivial matter with a simple qualcomm type firehose-file.
Instead now it's basically dead weight. They seem to think it's ok to produce lots of electronic garbage, and not make efforts to reduce this.

Yeah, not to mention that we don't have a way to fix ourselves bricked devices. It would be a trivial matter with a simple qualcomm type firehose-file.
Instead now it's basically dead weight. They seem to think it's ok to produce lots of electronic garbage, and not make efforts to reduce this.

Exactly, hopefully the drop in sales will be enough to kick their butt's in gear BEFORE they become the next Blackberry! If they would simply give us a restore KDZ, we would love LG, instead, they lock us out, and make it damn near impossible to restore or recover our devices from normal things, such as a bad OTA updates. BUT NO, for some dumb A$$ reasons, they dont so it WILL be their demise. Its almost like being able to see the future. If they took notice of all the predecessors before them, all their mistakes, made changes then history wouldn't have to repeat itself. If not, LG will be another forgotten company no one gives a crap about.

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
I am definitely not arguing as I dont know the answer 100% myself.

What I DO know for sure is that I can, (and I have) flashed other LG G7's firmware on my G7 (Sprint) through my Octoplus box. This is using the Octoplus box, not LGUP, but if the RSA keys were an issue, I would expect it to not work (flashing another variant .KDZ), or I would expect the device not to work (boot) afterwards. It boots and works just fine. I also know of numerous others who have converted their LG G7's (except TMobile) to the unlocked model (ULM). My understanding was that only the TMobile ones were using a custom RSA key coming FROM TMobile themselves (I could be wrong but this is what I read) and since I dont own a TMobile flavor, I cant test myself to confirm.

What partitions did you flash?

All of the KDZs I have been able to pull down have different RSA certs (granted it is only a couple) but it is not just the TMO that was different.

If you don't mind, link to the exact KDZ for your model, and the KDZ that you flashed -- I would love to compare the certs.

-- Brian

What partitions did you flash?

All of the KDZs I have been able to pull down have different RSA certs (granted it is only a couple) but it is not just the TMO that was different.

If you don't mind, link to the exact KDZ for your model, and the KDZ that you flashed -- I would love to compare the certs.

-- Brian

There is no KDZ for the PM (Sprint model) yet so I cannot go back to Sprint or link to one (until one is released) but I wish there was one for others who are in a loop or brick situation, here are the 2 I used:

EM (European Model - bootload unlockable approved by LG):
G710EM10b_00_0521.kdz

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W14Y-jbvnwDt4UOfitni8hDGfwYsXesV/view?usp=sharing

ULM (US Unlocked Model):
G710ULM10g_00_NAO_US_OP_0913.kdz

http://pkg02.lime.gdms.lge.com/dn/d...XADM55F9FR80/G710ULM10g_00_NAO_US_OP_0913.kdz

I flash ALL partitions through Octoplus EXCEPT the modems (MODEM1/2), I left those from Sprint (stock), not sure if it helps or not, but I have service so I like to think it did. There are lots of users who have also used the LGUP (somehow) to cross flash the KDZ's to the ULM (unlocked) model but I haven't personally used this LGUP method so I cant comment if its valid or not. Octoplus, most definitely works though (and I have the logs to show the partitions if one was interested).

Reactions: runningnak3d

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
There is no KDZ for the PM (Sprint model) yet so I cannot go back to Sprint or link to one (until one is released) but I wish there was one for others who are in a loop or brick situation, here are the 2 I used:

<snip>

There will never be a Sprint KDZ -- neither Sprint or AT&T release KDZs (I don't think they even use them internally).

I am downloading them now, and I will pull the certs / post the results as soon as they are done.

Thanks!

-- Brian

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Change in plans, it turns out the image i made wont work but at least im sure that there is a way to run modified system images.
    Cool! Glad its progress forward, ping me when you're ready for a test :) I can flash normal .tots or .oct with Octoplus LG so whatever is easiest to build! I myself prefer AOSP so if it is possible for an AOSP image, even better, but I will test anything to help gain ROOT and unlocked bootlodaers, so let me know.
    Its not going to be as magical as an unlock for the bootloader. Also its not going to be a tot or even a kdz file. Instead the idea is to use partition dll (a feature in lg up) to flash individual partitions (in this case sthe system one).

Also i have an idea to completly forget about lg system and go straight to AOSP. Yesterday i finally fixed the real pie vendor to work with AOSP and its almost bugless (the led will flash blue or it can also be completely disabled). Still i have to test it before saying anything.

About root. Really no one today uses system based root and eveyrone moved to a boot based one. We cant replace (or modify) boot one because vbmeta and we cant replace (or modify) vbmeta because of the bootloader check. Im not sure if vendor is protected but if its not that will make my life much easier. Also maybe phh root will work but i actually never used it.

Still this is a little post about my plans but i cant promise anything since i havent tested it and everything is a theory. Also i will test it on my phones since now i dont have to reinstall my whole phone.
    Thread edited a bit.

Hey guys,

if you could stop arguing this manner, bad language, disrespectful comments and such, please lower the tone a bit, respect other members and follow the XDA forum rules.

Remember this?
    https://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?a=81

2. Member conduct.

2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result, what may be OK to say in your part of the world, may not be OK elsewhere. Please don't direct profanity, sexually explicit language or other offensive content toward Members or their work. Conversely, while reading posts from other members, remember that the word you find offensive may not be offensive to the writer. Tolerance is a two-way street.
    2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

2.4 Personal attacks, racial, political and / or religious discussions: XDA is a discussion forum about certain mobile phones. Mobile phones are not racial, political, religious or personally offensive and therefore, none of these types of discussions are permitted on XDA.

You can absolutely ask questions, answer them, give your opinion on the topic but you have to do it a friendly manner, any time.

Thanks

Wood Man
    Senior Moderator
    Well I've obtained the actual .kdz file from the pre beta program in Korea. Now too flash it into my Canadian g710awm. The firmware is actually for model# g710N so wish me luck...
    ... I was stuck with the G7. If I had known now, what I knew then, NEVER would I have gotten an LG, no freaking way! Updates are horribly slow (still on Oreo, November 2018 security) ... I freaking HATE LG! Piece of trash in my opinion.

I don't really get it.

1. Why do you need the latest security update?
    2. Where you affected by the bugs the latest updates supposedly protect you from?
    3. What was improved/fixed in the latest security updates?
    4. Which features of android 9 do you need (be specific, please)?
    5. Do you honestly think your life would be different with the latest security update and android 9?

It's just a phone that gives you a worry free life (no bugs, no fiddling), so just enjoy it.
    Also, for the money of G7, you had plenty of very good alternatives. For example, Xiaomi A1 is 150 dollars without any contract and it has "pure" android .

I guess everyone is eager to hear your answers to the (reasonable) questions above. This is a forum, right? So, lets talk!