FORUMS

Android 9 - not soon

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By alens0nee, Junior Member on 21st September 2018, 06:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
First hello to everyone,

I was wondering if this time will be the same as it was with G6 so I asked support and they answerd this

I qoute

Good afternoon Alen,*

Thank you for your query regarding your LG G7;*

I have had a look into this for you and sadly as we are an in warranty repair centre this is not something that we get advance notice on. As LG handsets only got Android 8 a few months ago I am guessing that this would be at some point in the early quarter of next year.*
Once the android version is created it then has to go to the individual manufacturers who then test for compatibility and will rework anything which causes issues and then the testing on handsets begins and I am led to believe that this is a length process.*
The likely hood is that the update will be on the handsets before we even know that it has been released.*

So when it comes to update, even with "lg's new update center" thing will be the same.

And to be clear i don't hate or something, I am okey with my device preformances this is more discussion type post cuz as i remember lg said that this new center sill get us update faster and clearly thats not the case

Sorry for typos
21st September 2018, 06:47 PM |#2  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 552

More
There is some hysteria on having the latest software, but in fact it is even better if the software actually works, hence the lenghty process of testing before release. Android Pie for instance is still very buggy for those vendors who are releasing early public test versions.

The current 10f-version of Android 8.0 seems pretty stable on the G7, and has minimum battery drain. As long as they are following up with regular security patches as they are released, there is nothing much to complain about. I'd rather take a problem free Android Pie early next year than be ridden with bugs up til then.
The Following User Says Thank You to xeizo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xeizo Ad-Free
22nd September 2018, 09:25 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeizo

There is some hysteria on having the latest software, but in fact it is even better if the software actually works, hence the lenghty process of testing before release. Android Pie for instance is still very buggy for those vendors who are releasing early public test versions.

The current 10f-version of Android 8.0 seems pretty stable on the G7, and has minimum battery drain. As long as they are following up with regular security patches as they are released, there is nothing much to complain about. I'd rather take a problem free Android Pie early next year than be ridden with bugs up til then.

I could not agree more to this. Software upgrades are a nice thing if they take the time to run it stable. I prefer stable software and better security above that. Thats why i left Sony for one reason tru unstable releases that took long time to fix or not and a phone that loose hes full functuality with crashes or connection problems at most important times is a pain.Untill now my G6 did fine and my G7.Be patient and be happy your G7 is a trusty companion on the way.

Sent from my LM-G710 using XDA Labs
23rd September 2018, 07:23 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 266

More
This is why Apple products are expensive and maintain their value. Long term Seamless updates across all devices, regions and carriers. Android OEMs need to stop modifying Android and just use stock software route. No one wants bloat and gimmick features at the expense of slow updates that may never come. They pretty much do this to market new devices and screw us.
24th September 2018, 01:27 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeizo

The T-Mobile variant is on the July 1 security patch, as of the time of this post it is 84 days behind. Not looking good
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankeesfan714 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yankeesfan714 Ad-Free
24th September 2018, 03:01 PM |#6  
Flag Addison, il
Thanks Meter: 203

More
Support rarely if ever gets any info about things like software releases up until they actually come out. Until LG actually makes a statement it is best to just be patient.
29th September 2018, 04:44 AM |#7  
Flag India
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan714

The T-Mobile variant is on the July 1 security patch, as of the time of this post it is 84 days behind. Not looking good

Even my G7+ (India Variant) is on june security patch. At least security updates have to be released if not OS updates. Every money transfer is don't online nowadays, LG should take it seriously. Also there is still no 4k 60 fps update that rest of the world got.
30th September 2018, 10:41 AM |#8  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 234

More
Android P on the G7? Don't hold your breath. At the earliest, I'd say March of 2019. More realistically is May/June however. LG is quite terrible with Android updates.
1st October 2018, 07:28 AM |#9  
Recognized Themer
Flag north of the wall
Thanks Meter: 5,633

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbang

This is why Apple products are expensive and maintain their value. Long term Seamless updates across all devices, regions and carriers. Android OEMs need to stop modifying Android and just use stock software route. No one wants bloat and gimmick features at the expense of slow updates that may never come. They pretty much do this to market new devices and screw us.

Seamless? Hardly. They have had numerous issues with updates.

Apple products are expensive because people are fan boys and will pay a lot of money for questionable tech. They don't even include fast chargers. They are seperate and very expensive.

This computer repairman who has worked on Apple products for years should be required viewing before buying Apple products.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fernando sor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fernando sor Ad-Free
1st October 2018, 03:31 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 266

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando sor

Seamless? Hardly. They have had numerous issues with updates.

Apple products are expensive because people are fan boys and will pay a lot of money for questionable tech. They don't even include fast chargers. They are seperate and very expensive.

This computer repairman who has worked on Apple products for years should be required viewing before buying Apple products.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

Pixel devices are the best representation of Android. They receive monthly updates, have no bloat and long term update support when compared to every other OEM. LG has always been behind updates and there's no excuse for that except they would rather sell you another device. We have let OEMs be ok with poor device support because we don't demand more. That's the definition of a fanboy, last time I checked we had to sue LG to get their **** done right

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...20-nexus-5x-g5

Google even attempted to help some Nexus 6p users migrate to the Google pixel and that didn't require a lawsuit to make it happen
1st October 2018, 03:43 PM |#11  
Recognized Themer
Flag north of the wall
Thanks Meter: 5,633

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbang

Pixel devices are the best representation of Android. They receive monthly updates, have no bloat and long term update support when compared to every other OEM. LG has always been behind updates and there's no excuse for that except they would rather sell you another device. We have let OEMs be ok with poor device support because we don't demand more. That's the definition of a fanboy, last time I checked we had to sue LG to get their **** done right

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...20-nexus-5x-g5

Google even attempted to help some Nexus 6p users migrate to the Google pixel and that didn't require a lawsuit to make it happen

Yeah unfortunately I was stuck with tmobile. I agree the pixel is the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to fernando sor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fernando sor Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)