FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

SKiNS?! screen protectors?? - This thing slips off FLAT LEVEL surfaces

69 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

By doblebo, Member on 11th April 2019, 01:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is one slippery mofo. Any skins out there? Less than 24 hours and this thing keeps slipping off what I thought were flat level surfaces. If I set it flat on the palm of my hand or on a newspaper on a table, I can watch it slowly inch its way to its doom.
I hate to admit I fell for this line from LG:

Quote:

MIL-STD-810G Method 516.6, Procedure IV “Transit Drop”)Shock Resistant
Compliant with a military standards test (MIL-STD-810G Method 516.6, Procedure IV “Transit Drop”). Device may not perform as tested in all conditions. Test performed in controlled environment. Do not attempt.

But if you actually look up what this means... you see its pure and simple marketing buIIshit as your "controlled environment" can consist of a careful 4 foot drop onto plywood.

So yes.. skins to keep this thing from slipping are needed.

I ordered the Invisible Phone Guard front/back and will show how it works here when it is received. ATT was supposed to give me a screen protector.

I attached a picture to show what happened here. This is from 2 or 3 falls only 2'5" drop onto a laminate floor. The scratches cannot be seen without good light and the photos were taken using a DSLR and macro lens.. so it isn't terrible, but rest assured this has weakened the gorilla glass and the front screen will eventually shatter if it keeps jumping off tables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSE_2561.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	4740480  

14th April 2019, 12:50 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
From dbrand
Quote:

Robot 077 (dbrand)

Apr 13, 15:55 EDT

Hey ######!

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, we have no plans to support the LG G8 ThinQ, as there is simply not enough demand to justify adding it to our portfolio at this time. Sorry about that. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with, and have a great day!
Signed,
A Robot

14th April 2019, 04:05 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
screen protector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EDYQG6Q7JY
i found this to be a good review of the BodyGuardz Pure Arc Curved Tempered Glass Screen Protector for the G8 ThinQ
i thought it was a shill channel looking at other reviews, but he seems to hate this. it fits GREAT, but only has adhesives on the sides and has a visible dot matrix.
on top of that, he says there is an unnatural hollow feel to it due to the adhesive not being full screen. i imagine this will negatively affect the oled speaker.
this is a $50 screen protector that AT&T is giving away as a part of a promotion.

skins... not much out there and only dbrand has responded (with a NEVER).
the Invisible Phone Guard screen protector was OK and visibility was good, but i found the sound to be very slightly muffled as if it is dampening a certain high frequency.
i'm keeping the back on until i find a decent skin.
this film seems like it will blemish easily. it certainly gets dirty easily. pics here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSE_2571.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	4742565   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSE_2572.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	4742566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSE_2573.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	4742567  
16th April 2019, 03:34 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,084

More
Having this phone for a few days now and the OP was not lying about how slippery this phone is. A case or skin is a definite must have!
Ordered a Ringke Fusion X.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
16th April 2019, 07:34 PM |#5  
Flag Bellaire
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I ordered this case - https://www.ebay.com/itm/273759783563 - I should be getting it later today, I'll post about how well it works.

No sooner did I post this than it came in the mail. Fits on easy, stays on snugly. It's matte rubber without feeling like you're holding a car tire. I had one for my Nexus 6P I really liked and this feels equally good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caboose27 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Caboose27 Ad-Free
21st April 2019, 07:17 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
This thing is indeed incredibly slippery. I think I'm just going to be extra careful about where I put it down (it's not too slippery in my hands I find, just on certain surfaces), I hate hiding the slick design of the phone with a case. This is also the first phone I've had in a very long time where the camera doesn't bulge out the back, which I really appreciate and don't want to diminish with a case.
27th May 2019, 01:28 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doblebo

This is one slippery mofo. Any skins out there? Less than 24 hours and this thing keeps slipping off what I thought were flat level surfaces. If I set it flat on the palm of my hand or on a newspaper on a table, I can watch it slowly inch its way to its doom.
I hate to admit I fell for this line from LG:

But if you actually look up what this means... you see its pure and simple marketing buIIshit as your "controlled environment" can consist of a careful 4 foot drop onto plywood.

So yes.. skins to keep this thing from slipping are needed.

I ordered the Invisible Phone Guard front/back and will show how it works here when it is received. ATT was supposed to give me a screen protector.

I attached a picture to show what happened here. This is from 2 or 3 falls only 2'5" drop onto a laminate floor. The scratches cannot be seen without good light and the photos were taken using a DSLR and macro lens.. so it isn't terrible, but rest assured this has weakened the gorilla glass and the front screen will eventually shatter if it keeps jumping off tables.

Well there are a number of skins now at the varies skin sites though I personally skipped them and simply put the phone into an Otterbox Defender case.
1st June 2019, 07:49 AM |#8  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I used a cheap curved glass screen protector ( was like $9) and some loca glue (like $10) to make a DIY full adhesive whitestone kit.
2nd June 2019, 05:03 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
hey everyone - just got my lg g8 a few days ago. i got my case and glass screen protector yesterday. in my head i feel like maybe the screen protector is 'muting' the sound from the screen. has anyone else noticed this, or is it just in my head?
6th June 2019, 08:39 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamos*bp

hey everyone - just got my lg g8 a few days ago. i got my case and glass screen protector yesterday. in my head i feel like maybe the screen protector is 'muting' the sound from the screen. has anyone else noticed this, or is it just in my head?

I have not had that issue and I am using a Supershieldz screen protector however my brother who is using an Iphone 7 recently had that issue with one due to a screen protector he picked up at Walmart though it resolved once he removed it.
13th June 2019, 08:50 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
It's amazing to watch this phone slowly creep off of my wireless charger, which has a rubbery grippy surface! My case arrives today...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)