SKiNS?! screen protectors?? - This thing slips off FLAT LEVEL surfaces

Search This thread

doblebo

Nov 24, 2012
This is one slippery mofo. Any skins out there? Less than 24 hours and this thing keeps slipping off what I thought were flat level surfaces. If I set it flat on the palm of my hand or on a newspaper on a table, I can watch it slowly inch its way to its doom.
I hate to admit I fell for this line from LG:

MIL-STD-810G Method 516.6, Procedure IV “Transit Drop”)Shock Resistant
Compliant with a military standards test (MIL-STD-810G Method 516.6, Procedure IV “Transit Drop”). Device may not perform as tested in all conditions. Test performed in controlled environment. Do not attempt.
But if you actually look up what this means... you see its pure and simple marketing buII**** as your "controlled environment" can consist of a careful 4 foot drop onto plywood.

So yes.. skins to keep this thing from slipping are needed.

I ordered the Invisible Phone Guard front/back and will show how it works here when it is received. ATT was supposed to give me a screen protector.

I attached a picture to show what happened here. This is from 2 or 3 falls only 2'5" drop onto a laminate floor. The scratches cannot be seen without good light and the photos were taken using a DSLR and macro lens.. so it isn't terrible, but rest assured this has weakened the gorilla glass and the front screen will eventually shatter if it keeps jumping off tables.

Attachments

• DSE_2561.jpg
    DSE_2561.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,472
Last edited:

doblebo

Nov 24, 2012
From dbrand
Robot 077 (dbrand)

Apr 13, 15:55 EDT

Hey ######!

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, we have no plans to support the LG G8 ThinQ, as there is simply not enough demand to justify adding it to our portfolio at this time. Sorry about that. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with, and have a great day!
Signed,
A Robot

doblebo

Nov 24, 2012
screen protector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EDYQG6Q7JY
i found this to be a good review of the BodyGuardz Pure Arc Curved Tempered Glass Screen Protector for the G8 ThinQ
i thought it was a shill channel looking at other reviews, but he seems to hate this. it fits GREAT, but only has adhesives on the sides and has a visible dot matrix.
on top of that, he says there is an unnatural hollow feel to it due to the adhesive not being full screen. i imagine this will negatively affect the oled speaker.
this is a $50 screen protector that AT&T is giving away as a part of a promotion.

skins... not much out there and only dbrand has responded (with a NEVER).
the Invisible Phone Guard screen protector was OK and visibility was good, but i found the sound to be very slightly muffled as if it is dampening a certain high frequency.
i'm keeping the back on until i find a decent skin.
this film seems like it will blemish easily. it certainly gets dirty easily. pics here...

Attachments

• DSE_2571.jpg
    DSE_2571.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 758
  • DSE_2572.jpg
    DSE_2572.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 756
  • DSE_2573.jpg
    DSE_2573.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 747

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
Having this phone for a few days now and the OP was not lying about how slippery this phone is. A case or skin is a definite must have!
Ordered a Ringke Fusion X.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Caboose27

Jun 28, 2012
Bellaire
I ordered this case - https://www.ebay.com/itm/273759783563 - I should be getting it later today, I'll post about how well it works.

No sooner did I post this than it came in the mail. Fits on easy, stays on snugly. It's matte rubber without feeling like you're holding a car tire. I had one for my Nexus 6P I really liked and this feels equally good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double0EK

Arcanen

Apr 18, 2017
This thing is indeed incredibly slippery. I think I'm just going to be extra careful about where I put it down (it's not too slippery in my hands I find, just on certain surfaces), I hate hiding the slick design of the phone with a case. This is also the first phone I've had in a very long time where the camera doesn't bulge out the back, which I really appreciate and don't want to diminish with a case.

This is one slippery mofo. Any skins out there? Less than 24 hours and this thing keeps slipping off what I thought were flat level surfaces. If I set it flat on the palm of my hand or on a newspaper on a table, I can watch it slowly inch its way to its doom.

But if you actually look up what this means... you see its pure and simple marketing buII**** as your "controlled environment" can consist of a careful 4 foot drop onto plywood.

I ordered the Invisible Phone Guard front/back and will show how it works here when it is received. ATT was supposed to give me a screen protector.

I attached a picture to show what happened here. This is from 2 or 3 falls only 2'5" drop onto a laminate floor. The scratches cannot be seen without good light and the photos were taken using a DSLR and macro lens.. so it isn't terrible, but rest assured this has weakened the gorilla glass and the front screen will eventually shatter if it keeps jumping off tables.

Well there are a number of skins now at the varies skin sites though I personally skipped them and simply put the phone into an Otterbox Defender case.

Deathmeter

Feb 8, 2013
Los Angeles
I used a cheap curved glass screen protector ( was like $9) and some loca glue (like $10) to make a DIY full adhesive whitestone kit.

stamos*bp

Mar 24, 2008
hey everyone - just got my lg g8 a few days ago. i got my case and glass screen protector yesterday. in my head i feel like maybe the screen protector is 'muting' the sound from the screen. has anyone else noticed this, or is it just in my head?

hey everyone - just got my lg g8 a few days ago. i got my case and glass screen protector yesterday. in my head i feel like maybe the screen protector is 'muting' the sound from the screen. has anyone else noticed this, or is it just in my head?
I have not had that issue and I am using a Supershieldz screen protector however my brother who is using an Iphone 7 recently had that issue with one due to a screen protector he picked up at Walmart though it resolved once he removed it.

DrivenKeys

Sep 17, 2013
It's amazing to watch this phone slowly creep off of my wireless charger, which has a rubbery grippy surface! My case arrives today...

pongalong

Jan 21, 2010
I'm using slickwraps for the back of my phone and I like it. I would say they are slightly less precise than dbrand, but still great quality. If people would like photos, please let me know.

Jaa-Yoo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm using a Nillkin slim case, adds no bulk and provides some grippiness.
I also have a Spigen Crystal Clear gel case that's very nice, but is more bulky than the Nillkin.
As for screen protectors, i've found that glass ones are useless for this phone. I tried a couple full adhesive brands with the idea that i would fill the little gap on the edges with LOCA but of the 6 protectors that i applied, they all had a problem sticking fully in some flat areas of the screen. It was always the exact same spots so I came to the conclusion that the LG screen itself isn't 100% flat in those areas so I settled on the Ringke Dual Easy Film screen protector.

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_150511.jpg
    IMG_20190706_150511.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 420
Reactions: caligood3
You may want to think about giving the Skinomi Full Body Skin a try. It definitely keeps my phone from slipping off of surfaces, giving the phone a bit of a plastic-rubber feel while still letting the beauty of the phone show through. The back protector doesn't interfere with any cases and offers a bit of mental relief for those times you want to carry your phone without a case.

dirt_squirrel

Jul 14, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Samsung Galaxy S20
Dude, I had my g8 for 2 days. Was in. The washroom and the phone was on a roll of toilet paper (the flat side, obviously haha) and got a notification. Before I knew it the phone slid off and landed on the bottom right corner, heard an alarming "tink" sound but didn't think anything of it. A few mins later I saw a small crack, then I looked again and realized that there were multiple cracks on the screen. Ended up getting it replaced by my carrier, I said it was damaged in shipping. Point is that this phone is a glass cannon: it's very powerful for specs but it will have a broken screen if you sneeze on it the wrong way. This is one of the massive downsides to the new gorilla glass. Sure it's scratch resistant but with the wrong amount of pressure it will get destroyed :/

doblebo

Nov 24, 2012
I've dropped this thing so many times because it's so slippery. Seems like every other week I hear it jump off a table a few minutes after I leave the room.
I have a crack on 3 corners, but nothing across the screen. My case (which I tend to take off when connecting it to things such as controllers or some USB cables) almost hides the cracks.
However, these are more like small missing chunks of glass on the corners. I've never had such a fragile phone. I tried super glue on the corners to keep it from spreading, but eventually just went to town on the corners with silicone conformal coating that I had sitting around. It seems to be working great and keeps the little shards coated and sort of glued in there. I kind of prefer this to replacing the screen as replacements have only gone down slightly to around $150 shipped from China and I know I'll just end up breaking that one.

There's always been one or two deal breakers with all of my LG phones and that's why I kept going to a different manufacturer as soon as I could. I hate to say it but after this, I'm never going back to LG again no matter what cool unique feature they're wooing me with.

doblebo

Nov 24, 2012
I basically used this phone with a broken screen for 5 months. Replacements are still $150 (better than $200 back when it broke). It dropped approximately 1.5ft face down onto a clay tile floor and front screen has cracks all over. It almost looks somewhat inverted now as if the screen was designed to have tension. Well I went and got a note 10+ and man it is great to have a real phone again. Doesn't have some of the edgy LG stuff that I really loved and theres no headphone jack... but bigger/brighter screen that isn't broken is so nice to have. Good luck with your screens guys.... I'll replace mine when the price is reasonable and either go back to using it or put it on ebay.

staatsof

May 18, 2011
N. NJ USA
I also have a Spigen Crystal Clear gel case that's very nice, but is more bulky than the Nillkin.
As for screen protectors, i've found that glass ones are useless for this phone. I tried a couple full adhesive brands with the idea that i would fill the little gap on the edges with LOCA but of the 6 protectors that i applied, they all had a problem sticking fully in some flat areas of the screen. It was always the exact same spots so I came to the conclusion that the LG screen itself isn't 100% flat in those areas so I settled on the Ringke Dual Easy Film screen protector.

I have reached the same conclusion about the screen not being flat enough to utilize a hard glass protector even if you avoid the very curved edge portions. I tried the curved, glued only on the edge types first but that always had a weird optical effect and wasn't very ruggedly glued on, none in the middle. Why? I haven't tried using whitestone glue yet.

So the suggested one sounds interesting. https://www.amazon.com/Ringke-Compa...dge-Application/dp/B07NHMBNLH#customerReviews
I think I'll watch the videos first.

I also found these but yes a firm, solid piece of glass is a no go IMHO. Not a fan of these new case designs for all the new phones. Why de do dat?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQD2BCG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MkrHDb48GTKZN
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QB9MN28/

Still hoping for a solution. I had great luck with Spigen Crystal screen protector SGP10855 for my LG G3 which is hard but I believe would be flexible enough if it skipped the curved edges but they don't make anything like that?

UPDATE: After watching the LG G8 video on YouTube I decided to go with the Rinke.
I'll report back. This will be 4th type attempted.

I put it on this morning. It is pretty easy to get this on with good alignment and no bubbles.

Two things.

1. If you watch the YouTube instructions the place where the dust dust cleaning sticky backing splits in half does leave a slightly perceptable crease in the soft protector. Maybe it will smooth out with time? It did not with the squeegee.
2. It's soft so you can possibly nick with your fingernails and it's also easy to lift an edge ever so slightly during final finishing so be careful.

I see no installation flaws but it also isn't a hard glass but then those do not install properly even when undersized because the screen is not level as you get near the edges as far as 1/4" away. The film eliminates this issue but will it protect and stay on.

We shall see.

Last edited:

zeek6228

Nov 24, 2018
I sell a lot of these devices and it is even hard to photograph them on a smooth surface because they will start around on my table. Put it in a case, the screens are expensive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I ordered this case - https://www.ebay.com/itm/273759783563 - I should be getting it later today, I'll post about how well it works.

No sooner did I post this than it came in the mail. Fits on easy, stays on snugly. It's matte rubber without feeling like you're holding a car tire. I had one for my Nexus 6P I really liked and this feels equally good.