lg g8 sprint unlock

Search This thread

maderke

Nov 4, 2015
i have bought a g8 from swappa, locked to sprint.
can it be unlocked already?
it does not asks for unlock pin when i put in another sim card.
or there is a way to flash an unlocked rom?

thanks

Reactions: Hish123

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I bought a Unlocked Verizon G8 and I got it working for the most part but couldn't make or receive phone calls on it. I think the phone app had too much specific Verizon stuff. Ended up returning it

Welfares

Jan 18, 2019
I got my locked to Sprint. It works fine so far in the UK when I put my sim in it.

Are you sure it's not unlocked? Mine is brand new out of the box and I just get no Service, and a little note saying invalid sim in the drop down menu.

Has anyone manage to have one of these unlocked outside of going by the book with sprint?
All the services i've asked either said they can't do it, or said they could at first, then just sent me a refund pretty much straight back.

I don't mind paying for the service but it seems nobody is there yet.

Anyone know anything I don't?

agent.m

Aug 16, 2006
leeds
djagentm.blogspot.com
Are you sure it's not unlocked? Mine is brand new out of the box and I just get no Service, and a little note saying invalid sim in the drop down menu.

Has anyone manage to have one of these unlocked outside of going by the book with sprint?
All the services i've asked either said they can't do it, or said they could at first, then just sent me a refund pretty much straight back.

They said it was locked to Sprint but also said it would work in UK. I hope you get it sorted. I'm having the same problem with the V50. I'm guessing the o my solution is if someone request the unlocking code from the manufacturer. Which can take a week or so.

Welfares

Jan 18, 2019
They said it was locked to Sprint but also said it would work in UK. I hope you get it sorted. I'm having the same problem with the V50. I'm guessing the o my solution is if someone request the unlocking code from the manufacturer. Which can take a week or so.

The problem for the unlock code with the sprint G8 (and I gather some of the other phones too) is that they don't request an unlock code with an alternate SIM. There's a bunch of other codes you can enter to get the unlock code thing to pop up..... doesn't work.

It looks like the solution for the same thing on the Sprint G7 is for them to remote in using teamviewer or anydesk and work their magic.

I guess I could see if I can get my hands on a properly smashed up, non screen functional, unlocked phone, and transplant the board. But not really something I want to do with a brand new phone.

Partially hobbled by the lack of popularity I guess, you can find someone to do pretty much anything done to a Samsung :(

Reactions: gastondefer

agent.m

Aug 16, 2006
leeds
djagentm.blogspot.com

The problem for the unlock code with the sprint G8 (and I gather some of the other phones too) is that they don't request an unlock code with an alternate SIM. There's a bunch of other codes you can enter to get the unlock code thing to pop up..... doesn't work.

It looks like the solution for the same thing on the Sprint G7 is for them to remote in using teamviewer or anydesk and work their magic.

I guess I could see if I can get my hands on a properly smashed up, non screen functional, unlocked phone, and transplant the board. But not really something I want to do with a brand new phone.

Partially hobbled by the lack of popularity I guess, you can find someone to do pretty much anything done to a Samsung :(

Hi mate. I still have my G8 so will have a try with a code I was given. You need it to request the sim unlock right?

agent.m

Aug 16, 2006
leeds
djagentm.blogspot.com

Im really hoping these codes work for you (option 2 or 3). I didn't for me unfortunately.

Unlocking instruction for LG G8 ThinQ ?
How to enter an unlock code in a LG G8 ThinQ:

Second option (device doesn't ask for an unlock code with an unaccepted SIM)

1. Start the device with an accepted simcard (example LG G8 ThinQ was bought in Orange you need to insert an Orange card)
2. Go to the dial screen and press “2945#*model number#” (the same way you enter a phone number)
Example: the device is a P999 you need to enter “2945#*999#” or for KU990 you need to enter “2945#*990#” etc…

Third option (accepted simcard)

1. Go to dial screen and press 2945#*71001# or 2945#*20001# as if making a call
2. when a hidden window appears enter the unlock code

Reactions: Welfares

Welfares

Jan 18, 2019
Thanks Agent.M

I appreciate you looking into it. I've tried all those codes on mine and they don't work.

From what I gather, Sprint has used some sort of different locking method that can't be undone by entering a code.

It looks like it was the same on the LG G7 and the solution involved cross flashing some software. The services offering to do it all remote in using team viewer or similar and do it for you.

There was a thread running on the G7 forum for it the sprint unlock, this G8 thread doesn't seem to have nearly as much activity on it. And doesn't look like LG is being helpful with unlocking the boot loader.

I'm a bit sad, I put a lot of thought into which phone to get. We've only got the G8s locally, and it's not quite the same phone.

I'm going to return it and I guess burn the $100 in postage, return postage, restock fees etc. I'm not really happy to sit on it for another 6 months until someone works out an unlock for it. With my luck, someone will probably crack it next week after I send it off.

Welfares

Jan 18, 2019
Unlock codes don't work on this phone.
There's no way to enter it.
Also. Suspicious post is suspicious.

gastondefer

Jan 7, 2016
It kinda sucks that this phone still can't be unlocked from Sprint using a 3rd party option. Because of the lack of attention, I'm afraid that LG phones might be leaving the scene just like HTC.

Welfares

Jan 18, 2019
I ended up returning my g8 and getting a v40 new unlocked locally.
It's freaking enormous but we only got the g8s here which isn't any smaller.
Hence chasing the g8. I wanted something a sensible size.

Ascended 1

Apr 30, 2018
My sprint phone have a major issue, it was randomly rebooting several times per day. I got sick of it and did a full reset, it made things even worse, I somehow lost the sprint boot up logo and now it just endlessly reboots until I shut it down completely.

Is there anyway to do flash it back to the original stock firmware?

younger06

Jan 25, 2011
Naas
My Sprint G8 (sim unlocked) from america is working with my Irish sim on GSM/UMTS only.........so no mobile data. There doesn't seem to be an option to add an APN.

It cost me 400 dollars including shipping and duties.............kinda expensive for a pocket camera!!!

Love the phone and will go to any lenghts to get it sorted.....but it's not looking good.

younger06

Jan 25, 2011
Naas
I got my locked to Sprint. It works fine so far in the UK when I put my sim in it.
I'd love to hear details......did you buy the phone from US seller or did you bring it to the UK yourself, after using it on Sprint in the US?

Did your UK SIM register on your UK provider and have you got mobile data?

Could you post some screenshot from your "about phone" menu and also your APN setting from your Network menu?

I can't get my Sprint G8 working in Ireland on my data network (works on GSM, calls and texts only)

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

alxace

Oct 13, 2014
I'm having the exact same issue with my LG G8

- As We only have G8s in EU, I bought AT&T G8 from US eBay. Used it for a month without any issues and then suddenly MM#6 error.
- Went to AT&T "unlock phone" page and entered my IMEI. It said the phone is lost or stolen.
- Contacted the eBay seller, they told it should be unlocked and sent me an unlock code. I entered the unlock menu (2945#*820#) and all options gave the same result "Phone is not Personalized", which should mean that there is no lock on the unit and I did not have an option to even enter the unlock code. But there is still the MM#6 error.

So a bit clueless as to what to do now and based on this thread it seems like there is no solution to this. The phone seems to be locked by some other method.
I have never owned an LG phone before and just wanted to try it out. Guess it's an expensive lesson :laugh:

edit: just after posting this, I got answer back from my carrier - the phone is blacklisted. So that's and anticlimactic end to the story :laugh:

Last edited:

younger06

Jan 25, 2011
Naas
It's a pity......the handset is amazing.
There are a community of people trying to get this sorted.

The problem seems to be that your phone is trying to register on the ATT network and it can't........and there is no way to change the settings needed for it to register onto your network.

Can you post a screenshot of your APN screen in Network Settings.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have bought a g8 from swappa, locked to sprint.
    can it be unlocked already?
    it does not asks for unlock pin when i put in another sim card.
    or there is a way to flash an unlocked rom?

thanks
    The Sprint version is a mess. Trust me.

Im really hoping these codes work for you (option 2 or 3). I didn't for me unfortunately.

Unlocking instruction for LG G8 ThinQ ?
    How to enter an unlock code in a LG G8 ThinQ:

Second option (device doesn't ask for an unlock code with an unaccepted SIM)

1. Start the device with an accepted simcard (example LG G8 ThinQ was bought in Orange you need to insert an Orange card)
    2. Go to the dial screen and press “2945#*model number#” (the same way you enter a phone number)
    Example: the device is a P999 you need to enter “2945#*999#” or for KU990 you need to enter “2945#*990#” etc…

Third option (accepted simcard)

1. Go to dial screen and press 2945#*71001# or 2945#*20001# as if making a call
    2. when a hidden window appears enter the unlock code
    I am rocking the sprint variant and love it. I am using it on Tmobile. I had the same gripes other had. But what I did was pop in my sim card. Install all OTA's that came down. Then updates PRL's + Profiles. Test MMS. Then ran the sprint debloat adb commands found here in this forum. Then installed the Android 10 OTA. After that the phones feels like a truly unlocked phone no sprint carrier branding really anywhere that I noticed and everything works fine. I also installed Google Messages cause I wanted RCS capabilites and that is working great too. All in all couldnt be happier.