FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Root/Bootloader unlock

193 posts
Thanks Meter: 35

By 2390, Senior Member on 14th May 2019, 06:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys, I'm super excited to get my new LG G8 tonight, with all of the incentives Sprint is offering me it'll cost just over $300!

However, the previous LG phones that I've had (G4 and G5) were absolute trainwrecks when it came to software, and the G8 doesn't seem to be too different. I'm hoping that eventually we will be able to root it, if not install a Project Treble AOSP build.

How likely is this? Can we get a bootloader bounty going? Heck, I'd be happy with just root and Magisk

17th May 2019, 04:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2390

Hey guys, I'm super excited to get my new LG G8 tonight, with all of the incentives Sprint is offering me it'll cost just over $300!

However, the previous LG phones that I've had (G4 and G5) were absolute trainwrecks when it came to software, and the G8 doesn't seem to be too different. I'm hoping that eventually we will be able to root it, if not install a Project Treble AOSP build.

How likely is this? Can we get a bootloader bounty going? Heck, I'd be happy with just root and Magisk

Unless something like this will work on G8, there is no reason to believe your G8 will be able to be rooted anytime soon.
8th June 2019, 03:55 PM |#3  
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 2,073

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3p

Unless something like this will work on G8, there is no reason to believe your G8 will be able to be rooted anytime soon.

let me know when u can unlock bootloaders , happy to help out with twrp or so

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to J0SH1X For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift J0SH1X Ad-Free
14th June 2019, 04:16 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,227

Donate to Me
More
The good news on the T-Mobile variant is the "Enable OEM Unlock" is present and not greyed out. The bad news is I am unable to get into the bootloader either through command or even with the volume up+power while turning the phone on. It looks like the T-Mobile variant has the bootloader locked out unless if I'm missing something here.

Edit: Even holding down then plugging in my USB-C cable doesn't get the bootloader to kick in. Up then plugging in however does get me to download mode. I can get into recovery but can't get the dang thing to do anything other than display the broken Android logo and can't even get the typical recovery stuff to pop up. Says "no command" below the broke Android logo.
16th June 2019, 06:00 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Dumb question but did you try the adb reboot bootloader command?
16th June 2019, 06:49 PM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredKender

Dumb question but did you try the adb reboot bootloader command?

Yes and it simply reboots the phone. Does not go to the bootloader at all. Not a dumb question by the way. Pretty good to ask.
16th June 2019, 08:10 PM |#7  
Flag Aachen

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryManMLS

The good news on the T-Mobile variant is the "Enable OEM Unlock" is present and not greyed out. The bad news is I am unable to get into the bootloader either through command or even with the volume up+power while turning the phone on. It looks like the T-Mobile variant has the bootloader locked out unless if I'm missing something here.

Edit: Even holding down then plugging in my USB-C cable doesn't get the bootloader to kick in. Up then plugging in however does get me to download mode. I can get into recovery but can't get the dang thing to do anything other than display the broken Android logo and can't even get the typical recovery stuff to pop up. Says "no command" below the broke Android logo.

some variants doesnt have fastboot if im not wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to J0SH1X For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift J0SH1X Ad-Free
16th June 2019, 10:43 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0SH1X

some variants doesnt have fastboot if im not wrong

I suspect that's the case with the T-Mobile variant. I wouldn't be shocked if there's a backdoor method found to getting fastboot to work on such variants as I can still get into download mode easily along with recovery. So I'm sure there's a way to use either one of these to getting fastboot to work.
16th June 2019, 10:45 PM |#9  
Flag Aachen

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I suspect that's the case with the T-Mobile variant. I wouldn't be shocked if there's a backdoor method found to getting fastboot to work on such variants as I can still get into download mode easily along with recovery. So I'm sure there's a way to use either one of these to getting fastboot to work.

the problem is i think ur phones abl partition doesnt contain fastbootd , and since T-Mobile variant has different RSA keys then other variants you cant crossflash it with some variant that includes twrp
16th June 2019, 10:50 PM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0SH1X

the problem is i think ur phones abl partition doesnt contain fastbootd , and since T-Mobile variant has different RSA keys then other variants you cant crossflash it with some variant that includes twrp

Fudge... I figured that someone who knows way more than I do would prove my idea would not work.

No method to add fastboot to the abl partition I'm assuming? Just throwing ideas out there.
16th June 2019, 11:00 PM |#11  
Flag Aachen

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Fudge... I figured that someone who knows way more than I do would prove my idea would not work.

No method to add fastboot to the abl partition I'm assuming? Just throwing ideas out there.

i have no idea just sharing what ive learnt from my g6 and g7, as on g7 the TMO is the only one not unlockable , bcs of its rsa keys
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)