Root/Bootloader unlock

Search This thread

Jun 23, 2012
Orange Park
Hey guys, I'm super excited to get my new LG G8 tonight, with all of the incentives Sprint is offering me it'll cost just over $300!

However, the previous LG phones that I've had (G4 and G5) were absolute trainwrecks when it came to software, and the G8 doesn't seem to be too different. I'm hoping that eventually we will be able to root it, if not install a Project Treble AOSP build.

How likely is this? Can we get a bootloader bounty going? Heck, I'd be happy with just root and Magisk

mr3p

Oct 14, 2013
Miami
Hey guys, I'm super excited to get my new LG G8 tonight, with all of the incentives Sprint is offering me it'll cost just over $300!

However, the previous LG phones that I've had (G4 and G5) were absolute trainwrecks when it came to software, and the G8 doesn't seem to be too different. I'm hoping that eventually we will be able to root it, if not install a Project Treble AOSP build.

How likely is this? Can we get a bootloader bounty going? Heck, I'd be happy with just root and Magisk

Unless something like this will work on G8, there is no reason to believe your G8 will be able to be rooted anytime soon.

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus Player
The good news on the T-Mobile variant is the "Enable OEM Unlock" is present and not greyed out. The bad news is I am unable to get into the bootloader either through command or even with the volume up+power while turning the phone on. It looks like the T-Mobile variant has the bootloader locked out unless if I'm missing something here.

Edit: Even holding down then plugging in my USB-C cable doesn't get the bootloader to kick in. Up then plugging in however does get me to download mode. I can get into recovery but can't get the dang thing to do anything other than display the broken Android logo and can't even get the typical recovery stuff to pop up. Says "no command" below the broke Android logo.

Last edited:

J0SH1X

Account currently disabled
Jan 3, 2014
Aachen
The good news on the T-Mobile variant is the "Enable OEM Unlock" is present and not greyed out. The bad news is I am unable to get into the bootloader either through command or even with the volume up+power while turning the phone on. It looks like the T-Mobile variant has the bootloader locked out unless if I'm missing something here.

Edit: Even holding down then plugging in my USB-C cable doesn't get the bootloader to kick in. Up then plugging in however does get me to download mode. I can get into recovery but can't get the dang thing to do anything other than display the broken Android logo and can't even get the typical recovery stuff to pop up. Says "no command" below the broke Android logo.

some variants doesnt have fastboot if im not wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLoonyRebel

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus Player

I suspect that's the case with the T-Mobile variant. I wouldn't be shocked if there's a backdoor method found to getting fastboot to work on such variants as I can still get into download mode easily along with recovery. So I'm sure there's a way to use either one of these to getting fastboot to work.

J0SH1X

Account currently disabled
Jan 3, 2014
Aachen
I suspect that's the case with the T-Mobile variant. I wouldn't be shocked if there's a backdoor method found to getting fastboot to work on such variants as I can still get into download mode easily along with recovery. So I'm sure there's a way to use either one of these to getting fastboot to work.

the problem is i think ur phones abl partition doesnt contain fastbootd , and since T-Mobile variant has different RSA keys then other variants you cant crossflash it with some variant that includes twrp

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus Player
the problem is i think ur phones abl partition doesnt contain fastbootd , and since T-Mobile variant has different RSA keys then other variants you cant crossflash it with some variant that includes twrp

Fudge... I figured that someone who knows way more than I do would prove my idea would not work.

No method to add fastboot to the abl partition I'm assuming? Just throwing ideas out there.

awireless

Apr 9, 2018
yeah if u buy lg always watch out , i always wait till i buy a new phone to see if it can be unlocked i probably buy g8 at some time and i need unlock bl i cant stand the lg rom

Someone has a engineering bootloader that allows you to unlock bootloader working on the g7 andv40 and v35 mabye works on g8 you need to use jtag from octoplus though.

Robin M

Oct 13, 2010
SE Pennsylvania

AngryMan, I have an unlocked G8 that I got from Amazon. I tried your "Up then plugging in" method and got to the download mode and a screen that said "Firmware Update" But from there, I couldn't get into anywhere else - no Recovery, and no broken Android logo. How did you get into the recovery mode. I would like to try that on my unlocked version of the G8

Last edited:
AngryMan, I have an unlocked G8 that I got from Amazon. I tried your "Up then plugging in" method and got to the download mode and a screen that said "Firmware Update" But from there, I couldn't get into anywhere else - no Recovery, and no broken Android logo. How did you get into the recovery mode. I would like to try that on my unlocked version of the G8

It's volume down and plugging in the cable. What @AngryManMLS edited in as well.
If your device is unlockable it should lead you to fastboot mode with (more or less) detailed instructions on how to unlock the bootloader.
I "only" own a G8s but it should be the same for the other variants.

JDjYAgQ.png

Last edited:

Robin M

Oct 13, 2010
SE Pennsylvania
It's volume down and plugging in the cable. What @AngryManMLS edited in as well.
If your device is unlockable it should lead you to fastboot mode with (more or less) detailed instructions on how to unlock the bootloader.
I "only" own a G8s but it should be the same for the other variants.
Thanks. It didn't work on mine. I have a carrier unlocked version that I got from Amazon - $350 discount on Prime Day. (It's an LM-G820QM model with no digital assistant key and the Alexa apps added.) All I get when when using the volume down key (even with plugging in the cable afterwards) is the attached Factory Reset screen... I cannot get to the screens AngryMan saw. :confused:

AF1QipN_MzPGsj-9eaaQbmy30MPG_YOAkI2kB3Oxt7Klncu-NM4RlplZ70XUBZvA1EXb6A

Attachments

• 20190721_164549.jpg
    20190721_164549.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:

sobertillnoon

Jan 5, 2011
I have an LM-G820QM unlocked I got from a bestbuy a couple weeks after launch. I can use adb reboot bootloader to get into fastboot. I followed the instructions on the LG bootloader unlock page. I got the device ID and IMEI put in and it told me my device doesn't support bootloader unlocking or some nonsense. I was pretty disappointed because I thought buying the unlocked variant it would be unlockable by LG. I seem to be the only person with this vairant here so if I can help the effort in any way, please let me know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm pretty sure they'll update their Bootloader Unlock Key page in the next few weeks and add the G8(S) to the list of supported devices.
    The unlocked G8S at least boots into Fastboot and also explicitly describes and explains how to unlock the bootloader. So there's that.
    I have an LM-G820QM unlocked I got from a bestbuy a couple weeks after launch. I can use adb reboot bootloader to get into fastboot. I followed the instructions on the LG bootloader unlock page. I got the device ID and IMEI put in and it told me my device doesn't support bootloader unlocking or some nonsense. I was pretty disappointed because I thought buying the unlocked variant it would be unlockable by LG. I seem to be the only person with this vairant here so if I can help the effort in any way, please let me know.
    I have an LM-G820QM from Amazon, and I'm seeing the same problem. If you get it figured out, please let me know. I'll do the same for you.

A "curiosity question" for you... Did your QM model come without the physical "Google Assistant" key below the volume keys? Mine did, but I was wondering if it was only Amazon.

Yeah, the bestbuy model came with that annoying button, yes. And you can "disable" it but a long press still triggers it. Something I accidentally do all the time when I'm holding multiple items.

Additionally, after some research, it appears no g8 model has BL unlock supported by LG. (They have a list of supported devices.) It blows my mind that someone found a way to root newer Samsungs with Knox and all and yet here we are, with the G8 5 months later, and still nothing. I realise the community is smaller, but you'd think there'd be some lessons learned from that.
    Unless something like this will work on G8, there is no reason to believe your G8 will be able to be rooted anytime soon.

let me know when u can unlock bootloaders , happy to help out with twrp or so :D

Cheers