FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Unlocked sprint lg g8 on new network that doesn't have its own firmware

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By antintin, Junior Member on 11th September 2019, 03:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok before I start I just want to say I'm a complete noob at android and how it works (got my first android a month ago) so don't get too angry if I say something stupid :/

So I bought an unlocked sprint g8 off of ebay but switched to another carrier called mint (uses t-mobile network) so I'm not sure how the software updates work. I'm aware I won't be getting updates from sprint, but I know that I have gotten 1 or 2 updates from lg since I got it. I'm a little confused as to if the updates from lg are all I need or if they are just security patches, and if there is a way to install sprint updates anyway.

I know I can solve this by unlocking the bootloader and installing custom roms once they start coming out, and on sprint I can enable oem unlock, but there is no way to access fast boot. If I do adb reboot-bootloader (or whatever the command is) it just does a normal restart. If I'm not wrong I should be able to do the bootloader unlock after lg adds the g8 to their supported devices, but I don't know how I'll be able to do this without accessing the fastboot. Recovery mode seems to be incomplete too (I can't use adb in recovery I think the drivers are not installed yet), so I think part of the sprint firmware is still kind of in a beta. So if the not being able to access fastboot and an incomplete recovery mode is a problem with the sprint firmware, will the lg updates themselves be able to solve this? Or is there anything else I'm completely missing?

Sorry if that was a little confusing but any answers would be great!

11th September 2019, 04:04 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
You will still get software updates. I have a sprint lg g8 unlocked on cricket and yesturday i just recieved the August 1 security software update.
11th September 2019, 04:22 PM |#3  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,016

More
I don't have an answer to your question, but does your Sprint model get VoLTE on Mint/T Mobile? Thinking about buying one.
11th September 2019, 06:31 PM |#4  
Flag Bridgeport
Thanks Meter: 2,559

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antintin

Ok before I start I just want to say I'm a complete noob at android and how it works (got my first android a month ago) so don't get too angry if I say something stupid :/

So I bought an unlocked sprint g8 off of ebay but switched to another carrier called mint (uses t-mobile network) so I'm not sure how the software updates work. I'm aware I won't be getting updates from sprint, but I know that I have gotten 1 or 2 updates from lg since I got it. I'm a little confused as to if the updates from lg are all I need or if they are just security patches, and if there is a way to install sprint updates anyway.

I know I can solve this by unlocking the bootloader and installing custom roms once they start coming out, and on sprint I can enable oem unlock, but there is no way to access fast boot. If I do adb reboot-bootloader (or whatever the command is) it just does a normal restart. If I'm not wrong I should be able to do the bootloader unlock after lg adds the g8 to their supported devices, but I don't know how I'll be able to do this without accessing the fastboot. Recovery mode seems to be incomplete too (I can't use adb in recovery I think the drivers are not installed yet), so I think part of the sprint firmware is still kind of in a beta. So if the not being able to access fastboot and an incomplete recovery mode is a problem with the sprint firmware, will the lg updates themselves be able to solve this? Or is there anything else I'm completely missing?

Sorry if that was a little confusing but any answers would be great!

There is almost a 0% chance LG will let US variants be unlocked. And with the impl lock we cant even crossflash the G8, so yea you are stuck with the sprint rom.
12th September 2019, 12:01 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Your phone will update. Received August Security patch yesterday. Use ADB to remove Sprint bloat.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)