FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

LG G8 in hand. Here's what's happening so far

954 posts
Thanks Meter: 307

Post Reply Email Thread
Hey I have a Verizon retail unit I'm reviewing and figured I start a thread about it with what I'm experiencing as I go.

I did an unboxing and first look comparing it to the V40 and the Pixel 3. https://youtu.be/fFcwGiNcJkw

First I must say I like that LG launched this with Android Pie, V40 still waiting. Also it's great to have a wide angle camera back. I stopped using the v40 since it did not have pie and could not set it up from my daily pixel 3 because of it.

I have popped a Verizon sim in so real world testing has started. I will be taking it down to a NASA launch this week so will be taking LOTS of photos and videos with it over the next week. Be sure to follow me @jerflash on Instagram and Twitter for first look at photos.

Let me know if you have any questions and take a look at my other videos 👍
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerflash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jerflash Ad-Free

13th April 2019, 06:42 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
14th April 2019, 12:17 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 330

More
1st, could you please show in video if one can turn on "Pie Andriod gestures" on G8 in settings? Or are they totally disabled from kernel and not supported ? That'll be weird 'cause w/o gestures G8 is DOA
14th April 2019, 12:28 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison

1st, could you please show in video if one can turn on "Pie Andriod gestures" on G8 in settings? Or are they totally disabled from kernel and not supported ? That'll be weird 'cause w/o gestures G8 is DOA

The Android Pie gestures are indeed present. When I used my Pixel 3 to fully setup the device they turned on automatically bit you can enable them in settings.

The pill looks a bit different from the one on the Pixel but works the same. The animation is a bit jank when swiping up from the pill to get resents. I suspect they don't think many people will turn it on. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190414-072437.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	4742467Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190414-072454.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	4742468

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jerflash For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jerflash Ad-Free
16th April 2019, 05:45 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Can u use it with glove with high sensitivity touchscreen mode turned on?
16th April 2019, 07:16 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 330

More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZRV91HirI
20th April 2019, 01:58 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 10,106

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerflash

The Android Pie gestures are indeed present. When I used my Pixel 3 to fully setup the device they turned on automatically bit you can enable them in settings.

The pill looks a bit different from the one on the Pixel but works the same. The animation is a bit jank when swiping up from the pill to get resents. I suspect they don't think many people will turn it on.

Not sure if you knew this but you don't have to even swipe up. You can just swipe sideways on the pill for recents which I find very quick.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Quote:

Nice video. I'll have to get you to try twilight when it's ready and maybe you could review it as well!
20th April 2019, 01:30 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harysviewty

Can u use it with glove with high sensitivity touchscreen mode turned on?

i have not messed with that setting but will check it out
20th April 2019, 01:31 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbencze

Not sure if you knew this but you don't have to even swipe up. You can just swipe sideways on the pill for recents which I find very quick.

Yes this does work quicker than the pull-up but not quite as intuitive for me. I use it on the pixel occasionally.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Nice video. I'll have to get you to try twilight when it's ready and maybe you could review it as well!

Oh I did not know you were a themer, I have been looking for a good G8 theme. I dont really like the bring white everywhere so getting something darker would be great. Let me know when you are done with it
20th April 2019, 01:56 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 10,106

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Oh I did not know you were a themer, I have been looking for a good G8 theme. I dont really like the bring white everywhere so getting something darker would be great. Let me know when you are done with it

Will do. I have a thread in the themes and apps section. Right now I have pixel Experience released and by end of week i hope to have the dark version done and then twilight which is my personal favorite
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markbencze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift markbencze Ad-Free
20th April 2019, 03:41 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbencze

Will do. I have a thread in the themes and apps section. Right now I have pixel Experience released and by end of week i hope to have the dark version done and then twilight which is my personal favorite

Waiting for that dark 😬
The Following User Says Thank You to caligood3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift caligood3 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)