[PORT] Ubuntu Touch for LG L90 Dual

Search This thread

BastardRacoon

Feb 18, 2014
Hämeenlinna
It says premission denied...

EDIT: Solved the problem by myself already. So I guess I'll just wait for it to push the files little longer than last time. Hopefully it works...

View attachment 3558351

Okay my computter started to lag and I ended up with this
15110041.jpg

I desided to try again and this is what it says
15110042.jpg

Sometimes I just want to throw my laptop to the wall and after that into the lake.... :eek:

joinmafia

Nov 5, 2012
Does it flash like other roms? How difficult is to come back to Android roms after ubuntu?

Wysłane z mojego LG-D405n przy użyciu Tapatalka

Warimation

Jul 31, 2013
Almada
Update 3 January 2016: Here come new device tarballs. There are lots of changes in this update, but the most important ones are camera fix and touchscreen fix. Download using the same link. Oh, by the way, happy new year!
Thank you for not letting this thread dead and happy new year to you too! :)

Enviado do meu LG-D405n através de Tapatalk

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Does it flash like other roms? How difficult is to come back to Android roms after ubuntu?

The instruction says everything. The Ubuntu touch isn't flashed in the same way as Android roms. In the nutshell, you'll need an Ubuntu machine (or a virtual one) to follow the instruction. To come back to Android, first install Android-based recovery, then re-install your rom.

Reactions: gohaz0331

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Update 9 January 2016

Update 9 January 2016: I'm glad to tell you that there is system-image for this device now. Mariogrip, the developer of UBPorts project, let me use his system image server to host my port of Ubuntu touch. So, I've update the instruction to match this. I also have updated device tarball to reduce restart at startup too. Follow the new instruction to get your update.

keturidu

May 5, 2012
Vilnius
i'll try new method now. Previous update won't install for me for uknown reason. After clean reinstall (that means - kdz flash), on first loading screen after ubuntu touch install, i got this message with both devel or stable.

[edit] nice. i forgot to install recovery image before ubuntu install. my bad, sorry. keeping this message here, if someone would encounter similar problems.

[edit 2] installed, everything works nicely.

Last edited:

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
i'll try new method now. Previous update won't install for me for uknown reason. After clean reinstall (that means - kdz flash), on first loading screen after ubuntu touch install, i got this message with both devel or stable.

Previous update enforce GPG verification, making update breaks without the system image server. (I don't have system image's key, so I can't sign it out of the server.) Don't worry, things should works properly now.

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Update 6 February 2016

Update 6 February 2016: New version of device tarball is available in system-image server for rc-proposed and devel-proposed channels. This will fix broken sound system because of changes in Ubuntu side. Stable channel will get this update as soon as the same changes also lands in Ubuntu's stable channel. Go to "System Settings" to get your update, or follow instructions below if you haven't update your phone since 9 January 2016.

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
On devel-proposed channel, sound does not work :(

Oh, my mistake generating device tarball. Fixing right now.....
Anyway, devel-proposed isn't what I use daily, so I will not notice when something broken. When I test latest device tarball, I noticed that mobile phone is broken. I currently focus on fixing what's broken with rc-proposed, which will eventually becomes stable.

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Update 7 February 2016

Update 7 February 2016: A mistake on my side causing wrong device tarball to reach system-image server. The fix is uploaded to system-image server and should be available in a couple of hours.

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Update 4 March 2016

Update 4 March 2016: New version of device tarball is available in system-image server for stable, rc-proposed and devel-proposed channels. This will make bluetooth works in rc-proposed channel. (stable channel doesn't have some bit needed for bluetooth on this to work. Meanwhile, devel-proposed is currently unbootable) Go to "System Settings" to get your update, or follow instructions below if you haven't update your phone since 9 January 2016.

Fortty

Mar 4, 2016
There are a little over a thousand apps right now and its just an upcoming platform so it doesnt have good support yet. Android apps are not compatible and will not be officially compatible though someone will eventually change that.

Tip: SHASHLIK !! Developers visit this website shashlik.io
The goal of Shashlik is to provide a way to run Android applications on a standard Linux desktop as easily and simply as possible.

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Tip: SHASHLIK !! Developers visit this website shashlik.io
The goal of Shashlik is to provide a way to run Android applications on a standard Linux desktop as easily and simply as possible.

But please note that Ubuntu touch isn't "standard Linux desktop" in that way. It probably can't run Shashlik on it. Actually, it's possible to install desktop application on Ubuntu touch, but, as far as I know from visiting the website, it works by emulating Android in QEMU, and running that on the phone would be a terrible experience.

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Update 10 March 2016

Update 10 March 2016: New version of device tarball is available in system-image server for stable and rc-proposed channels. (I stopped publishing tarball in devel-proposed chennel because it's current unbootable so I can't test it.) This will fix bluetooth race condition that sometime makes bluetooth doesn't work in rc-proposed channel. Also, this update comes with update to recovery image. Go to "System Settings" to get your update, or follow instructions below if you haven't update your phone since 9 January 2016.

stety

Jul 4, 2012
To @peat_psuwit Firstly I want to thank you for the excellent work at porting ubuntu touch to our L90 :)

But secondly, I have a problem. When I press the hardware back button, so that in the text field, type the ampersand ("&"). It would not be a problem, but it often happens that the phone constantly presses the button back, even though I dont press back button. So, the phone starts in the text box infinitely write "&", and also can not be locked! The solution is only to restart. You can look at it, please? I am using rc-proposed but I think that the same bug is in the stable channel too.

Thirdly, I want to ask how it is turning off the bluetooth and wifi? It's not really turn off wifi, so continue to draw power even when turned off?
Turning Wi-Fi on and off currently doesn't work. (Note that while you can turn Wi-Fi on-off in system settings, the Wi-Fi chip will be not turned off.)
Is there any way to turn it off? Because it consumes a lot of energy.

Fourth, it would be nice to have support for multiroom respectively dualboot ubuntu touch and Android.
And again: Thank you for your work on this port :)

Reactions: Warimation

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
To @peat_psuwit Firstly I want to thank you for the excellent work at porting ubuntu touch to our L90 :)
Thank you. :)

But secondly, I have a problem. When I press the hardware back button, so that in the text field, type the ampersand ("&"). It would not be a problem, but it often happens that the phone constantly presses the button back, even though I dont press back button. So, the phone starts in the text box infinitely write "&", and also can not be locked! The solution is only to restart. You can look at it, please? I am using rc-proposed but I think that the same bug is in the stable channel too.
It's problem in key code handling in Ubuntu part. I've filed a bug here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libinput/+bug/1547864
There is a possible workaround in the kernel, but I haven't tried to implement it yet. I'll take a look at it soon.

Thirdly, I want to ask how it is turning off the bluetooth and wifi? It's not really turn off wifi, so continue to draw power even when turned off?
For Wi-Fi, to the best of my knowledge, the way it currently works is what happens in Android. I don't have enough time to investigate further yet. For bluetooth, I currently have no idea how on/off works. I'll try to track it when I have enough time.

Fourth, it would be nice to have support for multiroom respectively dualboot ubuntu touch and Android.
Well, that would be interesting. But it isn't my current priority. My current priority is currently fixing first bug above and mobile data bug.

Anyway, thank you for your interest in my port. People like you makes me be able to investigate hard problem when I feel tired. :)

peat_psuwit

Jan 4, 2013
Update 4 April 2016

Update 4 April 2016: New version of device tarball is available in system-image server rc-proposed channels. This update comes with new version of Pulseaudio-module-droid and some configuration change, in preparing for new version of OTA update. Also, this update comes with update to recovery image, also for coming OTA. Go to "System Settings" to get your update, or follow instructions below if you haven't update your phone since 9 January 2016.

For those using stable channel, OTA-10 is going to release soon. When the time does come, you might experience temporary breakage until I update device tarball. My recommendation is you should wait until I finish updating the device tarball before update your system in "System Settings". I'll post here when the time does come. So, stay tuned!

clyder

Aug 30, 2010
Indjija
Hi,
I have L90 as a secondary device so I wanted to try ubuntu touch.
I have ubuntu installed on my computer and followed instructions but after I start ubuntu-device-flash it always fails at recovery flash. I tried using both stable and rc-proposed channel but it is the same every time.
I get a "cant flash recovery image" and on the phone there is no error mentioned. Last message displayed is fastboot flash recovery....something.
Before trying all this I had rooted stock Lollipop rom installed with twrp.

I am flashing stock KDZ now to go back to Android but I am willing to give it another go tomorrow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 30 October 2016: I'm sorry for very long delay. Being a university student make my free time lower considerably. Anyway, new device tarball is released in stable and rc-proposed channel. This version mostly contains minor fixes, but more importantly, this includes fixes for some famous vulnerability, including the Quadrooter and dirty CoW vulnerabilities. Go to "System Settings" to get your update, or follow instructions below if you haven't update your phone since 9 January 2016.
    I still ship experimental fixes in rc-proposed that may freeze your phone when the screen is off. If this matters to you, you may consider using stable channel for now, but that has pretty bad power consumption (but that still means about one day of light usage). Also, there is known bug about mobile network not usable on some network that affects all channels.
    Oh, and for those stay on absolute bleeding edge on devel-proposed channel, I currently don't have enough time to test that. So, no release to devel-proposed just yet. Sorry!

Disclaimer
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */
    By the way, this disclaimer is actually copied from somewhere else just to protect me from being in the court, and I won't actually laugh at you if your device bricks. If your device really bricks, I will help you as much as possible. :)

Introduction
    This is a port of Ubuntu touch to LG L90 Dual and all L90 models. (See below for tested devices.) Basic functionalities work, but there're still some rough edges all around. It's stable enough to use daily, and I personally use it on my phone every day. If you're tired of Android, you may want to give Ubuntu touch a try.

Tested device
    This doesn't mean other devices aren't supported. If your device is labeled as "L90" (or can run Cyanogenmod for LG L90), you can give this a try.
    • LG L90 Dual (D410) (My device :) )
    • LG L90 D405n (single card) (Thanks, keturidu!)
    • LG Optimus L90 D415 (T-Mobile variant) (Thanks, JamesB3)

What's working/not working
    Note that this is tested using rc-proposed channel.
    • Screen: Works
    • Touch: Works
    • Audio: Works
    • Screen rotation: Works
    • Vibration: Works
    • Camera: Stil picture works for both camera. But video recording doesn't work for the front camera.
    • Mobile Phone: Works for both SIM, but please see "Bugs and workarounds" below for info about 3G slot and data connection.
    • Wifi: Works
    • Video playback: Works
    • GPS: Works.*
    • Bluetooth: Works, but on/off doesn't.
    *Do note that Wi-Fi-assisted location isn't available as it's licensed for the official devices only.

Screenshot

Information about device tarball and channel selection (obsolete)
    Now, you don't have to worry about correct device tarball anymore. You just type in correct channels in the command, and the flashing software will get the correct files for you. You can find out more about Ubuntu touch channels at https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/image-channels/. If you're in doubt, I recommend you to use stable channel.

How to install/upgrade
    Installing for the first time (updated):

The easiest way to install it is using ubuntu-device-flash. All of your personal data will be deleted. Make sure you backup everything important before install.
    You have to root your device and unlock device's bootloader. This forum has a good tutorial on that.
    For rooting, I recommend http://xdaforums.com/lg-l90/general/guide-root-l90-varients-updates-t2928364. If that doesn't work, try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2732311. This guide is guaranteed to work.
    For unlocking bootloader, I recommend http://xdaforums.com/lg-l90/general/guide-guide-to-unlocking-bootloader-l90-t2852917
    Also, you'll need an Ubuntu (virtual) machine.
    If your device has been running Lolipop, you may have to flash Kitkat-based bootstack for your device (http://xdaforums.com/lg-l90/development/bootstack-kk-l-l90-t3118632). Make sure you know exact phone model (Dxxx__).
    1. Follow the instruction for preparing your desktop in this link.
    2. Select channel (see information about selection above). Don't download device tarball. The flashing software will get it for you.
    3. Enable ADB for your device. I won't teach you here, but, again, this forum has a good tutorial about that.
    4. Plug your device into your computer. Then, put the device in fastboot mode by running the following command:
      Code:
      adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot bs=16 count=1'
      adb reboot
      The first command will wipe the first 16 bytes of the boot partition. So, when the device reboot, it'll boot into fastboot mode as the boot partition is broken. Don't worry, it'll be flashed by Ubuntu Touch anyway.
    5. When the device is in fastboot mode, run the following command:
      Code:
      sudo ubuntu-device-flash --server http://system-image.ubports.com/ touch --channel ubuntu-touch/{selected channel} --device w7 --bootstrap --wipe
      There maybe some trouble flashing recovery. If that happen, re-plug the USB chord and try again. You'll see a lot of text and then purple recovery screen. At this point, the computer will push the files into your device. Don't unplug your USB chord until the device reboot again with big Ubuntu logo spinning. Wait until the device reboot into Ubuntu Touch, and, viola, Ubuntu Touch is installed!
    Upgrading your device or switch channel (updated):
    If you've updated your device with new instruction at least once (since 9 January 2016) and just want to update the device tarball, just go to "System settings" on your device to get your update. But if you've never updated with the new instruction, read on.
    1. Enable developer mode on the device by going to System Settings > About this phone > Developer mode. If you don't have a passcode for your device, set it now by pressing Lock security. Then, enable developer mode by pressing at the check.
    2. Plug your device into the computer, unlock your device (this is important) and run:
      Code:
      ubuntu-device-flash --server http://system-image.ubports.com/ touch --channel ubports-touch/15.04/stable
    Don't unplug your USB chord until the device reboot again with big Ubuntu logo spinning.

Flash different (Android-based) recovery:

Ubuntu recovery can't be used to flash Android-recovery-format ZIP file. If you want to go back to Android using backed up file or ZIP file, you'll need custom Android-based recoveries, such as TWRP or CWM. You'll need raw disk image (IMG file) for this. Run the following command in terminal:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    # wait for recovery to appear
    adb push {recovery image name}.img /cache
    adb shell dd if=/cache/{recovery image name}.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    adb reboot recovery

Download & Source code
    You don't need to download device tarball manually anymore as flashing software will deals that for you. But if you want, you can download device-specific tarball using --download-only flag with ubuntu-device-flash. Be warned that you can't flash that image directly because updater in recovery image won't trust the signature.

Customization on the Android side can be found in the local manifest in this Github repository:
    https://github.com/peat-psuwit/ubuntu-phone_manifest_w7
    All kind of pull request is welcome on all of my repository.

Most customization on Ubuntu side can be found at
    https://launchpad.net/~peat-new/+archive/ubuntu/lg-d410-custom/+packages
    For those interested, this is programs that make phone call on this device works: https://github.com/peat-psuwit/pulseaudio-droid-card-parameters-setter

Legal notice
    This distribution of software contains software from Android Open Source Project and CyanogenMod Project. It's under Apache license. Additionally, this distribution also contains software that is normally distributed with Android system, being under various licenses. The detail of license of those files is at /system/etc/NOTICE.html.gz after the system is installed.

This distribution of software contains part of PulseAudio. (Particularly, the modified version of droid module.) It's licensed under GPL version 2 or any later version of GPL. (it's actually distributed under LGPL 2.1+, but it's used with GPL-only libraries, making the effective license GPL. Please look at /usr/share/doc/pulseaudio-module-droid/copyright for detail). Get the patch at https://github.com/peat-psuwit/pulseaudio-droid-card-parameters-setter

This distribution of software contains timekeep, a small utility to keep track of time & date. This is Copyright (c) 2015, Sony Mobile Communications Inc, and licensed under 3-clauses BSD license. The full license can be seen at https://github.com/peat-psuwit/timekeep/blob/master/license.txt

Old legal notice:
    This distribution of software contains modified version of oFono, Open Source Telephony. It's licensed under GPL version 2. You may have your source-code at https://launchpad.net/~peat-new/+archive/ubuntu/lg-d410-custom/+packages

This distribution of software contains part of GStreamer, open source multimedia framework. (Particularly, the modified version of androidmedia plugin.) It's licensed under LGPL version 2 or any later version of LGPL. You may have your source-code at https://launchpad.net/~peat-new/+archive/ubuntu/lg-d410-custom/+packages

Changelogs
    Latest update: 30 October 2016
    • Fix problem where pressing buttons below the screen in certain way will cause screen not to go sleep.
    • Fix Quadrooter, dirty CoW, and other vulnerabilities.
    • Change some aspect of build system.
    • Make system use our GPS configuration instead of system's default.

Older update

16 June 2016
    • Fix thumbnail generation for some video resolution.
    • Revert NetworkManager workaround added in the last release as NM 1.2 is now in both rc-proposed and stable channel.
    • Change method to wait for Bluetooth config at startup.
    • Change grid unit size to 13px.
    • (rc-proposed only) Run init.zetaw.post-boot.sh when the phone finished booting. This'll make battery consumption a lot lower but will cause the phone to lock up sometimes. That's why I release this fix to rc-proposed channel only. If you can't bare with something like this, switch to stable channel.

28 April 2016
    • Add a workaround for NetworkManager, to fix Wi-Fi connectivity after mobile data is disconnected. The actual fix is preparing to land in rc-proposed soon, but until then, let's use this workaround.

8 April 2016
    • Update Pulseaudio-module-droid to incorporate audio recording fix.

4 April 2016 (rc-proposed only update)
    • Update Pulseaudio-module-droid
    • Update configuration to run ADB in secure mode.
    • Update recovery image.

11 March 2016
    • Fix race condition in Bluetooth initialization code.
    • Update recovery image

4 March 2016
    • Enable Bluetooth in kernel and android parts.
    • Update recovery image

6 February 2016
    • Update pulseaudio-module-droid distributed in device tarball.

9 January 2016
    • Enforce GPG verification for UBPorts system-image server.
    • Reduce possibility to reboot at startup due to Wi-Fi subsystem.

3 January 2016
    • Fixes in kernel and framework for camera due to changes in Ubuntu side.
    • Make Wi-Fi (pseudo-)on/off works. This fix Wi-Fi not work at startup.
    • Change the way to distribute Pulseaudio module.
    • Fix for touchscreen not working in new revision of Ubuntu.

20 November 2015
    • Split device tarball into 2 versions.
    • Disable some service in Android container that crashes all the time.

26 August 2015
    • Working video recording.

4 July 2015:
    • Include timekeep, a small utility to keep track of time & date.
    • Remove oFono and gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad, as patches are accepted upstream.

8 Jun 2015
    • Working GPS.
    • Update oFono.

1 Jun 2015
    • Working mobile phone for both SIM slots.
    • Update gstreamer1.0-hybris, oFono and droid module of PulseAudio, for supporting new Ubuntu version (wily).

6 May 2015
    • Finally working video playback. Although this is not so good as I cannot make hardware rendering works yet.
    • Include a modified version of gstreamer1.0-hybris package.
    • Update oFono and droid module of PulseAudio.

17 April 2015
    • Update Pulseaudio.

7 April 2015
    • Fix Wi-Fi
    • Temporary disable ubuntu-location-service. As GPS doesn't work yet, leaving that enable will make battery drain fast as it'll always try to load GPS library.

4 April 2015
    • Fix mobile phone in the hackery way.

17 March 2015:
    • Partially fix camera. It can take a still picture, but cannot record video.
    • Fix the problem about GPG signature properly. The hack is no longer needed.

Bugs and workarounds
    Note that this list is based on rc-proposed channel and stable-based device tarball.
    • At boot, the device may freezes and restarts itself. This is due to the Wi-Fi system and I'm investigating this issue. This is due to fatal subsystem failure in the kernel. I've reduced possibility for Wi-FI subsystem (this is the most common failure), but this may still happen but at the lower rate.
    • If Wi-Fi list doesn't update during the day, turn Wi-Fi off and on.
    • Turning Wi-Fi on and off currently doesn't work. (Note that while you can turn Wi-Fi on-off in system settings, the Wi-Fi chip will be not turned off.)
    • If you're using rc-proposed channel, you may experience lockup when you're trying to wake the phone up from sleep. Currently, there's no fix yet, but if you can't live with it, use stable channel instead.
    • If you're using some mobile provider, your phone will not be able to detect SIM card. The fix is being developed. (If you're curious, it's about comunication between RILD and oFono and how your SIM card is programed.)
    Fixed or disappeared problem:
    • Camera will stop working after you bring camera app from suspended state. Workaround: bring app back to suspend state and bring back again. This can be done by swiping from left edge. This seems not be the case now.
    • Sometime, the device may seems freeze because an app is crash. This seems to be the problem in graphic subsystem. The system may becomes responsive again after seconds, but if it takes too long, just restart the phone. This seems not be the case now.
    • Sometime (at boot or sometime after), Wi-Fi stops working. This can be noticed by having Wi-Fi network list not updated. Fixed by pseudo-on/off fix.
    • Second One or both SIM slots may stop working at some boot. Simple rebooting should fix it. You may have to reboot multiple times. Seems to be disappear.
    • 3G slot selection doesn't work when there's only 1 SIM card. Workaround: use another SIM slot. (Fix released)
    • Data connection will work with only 1 of the slots (the one you most recently used before flashing Ubuntu touch. Don't worry, if you can't remember you van try them both). Workaround: put the SIM card with a data plan in another SIM slot. If you happened to have only 1 SIM and the slot that data works is different from the slot with 3G capability, I recommend you to temporary borrow another SIM card from your friend so that you can change 3G slot. change 2G slot in system settings. Fix accepted and released.

Credits goes to
    • Quarx2k for the initial Cyanogenmod port.
    • Cyanogenmod for many components I used to simplify my build.
    • Every contributor of LG L90's device tree on Cyanogenmod.
    • Ubuntu for the porting guide.
    • awe, ogra, abeato, rsavelti, popey, anpok, and much more people on irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-touch
    • Sony for timekeep.
    • mariogrips for UBPorts.
    Update 8 Jun 2015

Update 8 Jun 2015: New version of device-specific tarball is available with working GPS. Download using the same link.
    Update 16 July 2015

Update 16 July 2015: Big changes is coming. This change will make device tarball upgrade easier and make space usage more efficient. You'll have to wipe your data. So, prepare to backup your personal data.
    Update 1 Jun 2015

Update 1 Jun 2015: New version of device-specific tarball is available with working 2nd SIM slot. Download using the same link.
    Update 4 July 2015

Update 4 July 2015: New version of device-specific tarball is available with correct time across reboots without network. Download using the same link. I also update credits, bugs, legal notices, and instruction. Don't forget to check it out.