Bounty for unlocking bootloader for vs990 (progress has been made)

Search This thread

alvinator94

Apr 7, 2011
Good afternoon people of XDA,

Today is the dawn of a new day. A day where we begin the road to unlocking the bootloader to something that many believe is unlockable. Me and a few other users are starting a bounty to bring the incentive to life for all active developers. You can find my previous thread here. Now, when I say progress has been made, I mean that we have gotten into fastboot, we have donation incentives and we already have root so our tools are there we just have to find the exploit. Every day people are finding new exploits furthering our cause into reaching our goal. Now to the developers who want to pursue this, I've very much so tried to get active commands in fastboot but basically its just a dead fastboot for right now. The board on this phone and technologies behind it are so similar to its predecessors that somethings got to give. If you are interested in this cause, i.e. donating or deving on it, please contact me here, or email me at alvisleet@gmail.com

This is in our grasps friends. Spread the word, grab your fellow developers and lets get this thing to be a free wad of cash for whoever can bust it. Lets do this.
Attached is the spreadsheet for the current donations.

Attachments

• Dontations.xlsx
    9.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Reactions: ǀcey and MarkOden

sun_is_shinning

Jul 13, 2016
Valongo
this kind of things never work...i mean, you make a donation and the people or the persons behind the scenes when getting high values like 400-500$ then buy a new phone and move on letting the desired phone to get development in the trash!!

Noooo, people should see, if a year old phone never came to life in development in the first 6-8 months then the development for it is dead and if you like to custumize the phone and flash things you need to move to a more flashable-friend device!

beavis5706

Apr 17, 2014
Templeton
I have to agree with this. The Tmobile version has unlocked bootloader yet barely no development. What would make me that unlocking VS990 bootloader would all of a sudden spur development.

presariohg

Jul 27, 2015
I have to agree with this. The Tmobile version has unlocked bootloader yet barely no development. What would make me that unlocking VS990 bootloader would all of a sudden spur development.

I personally (and I think many other users) don't really need cooked roms. With gravity box, xposed and some other apps, I can "cook" my own rom (and believe me, it won't be that hard). All we need is a method for rooting. Using an android without rooting is even worse than an iphone without jailbreaking since iphones are undoubtedly smoother :rolleyes:

Reactions: MarkOden

ivangundampc

Sep 4, 2010
Hong Kong
I personally (and I think many other users) don't really need cooked roms. With gravity box, xposed and some other apps, I can "cook" my own rom (and believe me, it won't be that hard). All we need is a method for rooting. Using an android without rooting is even worse than an iphone without jailbreaking since iphones are undoubtedly smoother :rolleyes:

Indeed, a rooting method for version above MM is the most importing thing for us rather than flashing custom rom. However, system-less root is need to root MM or above and this is required modifying boot.img, therefore, bootloader unlocking is need. Unless, we have found a way to sign the modified boot.img to deceive the offical bootloader.

presariohg

Jul 27, 2015
Indeed, a rooting method for version above MM is the most importing thing for us rather than flashing custom rom. However, system-less root is need to root MM or above and this is required modifying boot.img, therefore, bootloader unlocking is need. Unless, we have found a way to sign the modified boot.img to deceive the offical bootloader.

What did you mean by "unless"? Have you found an evidence that MM bootloader is unlockable or not?..

ivangundampc

Sep 4, 2010
Hong Kong
What did you mean by "unless"? Have you found an evidence that MM bootloader is unlockable or not?..

I mean even if the bootloader is not unlockable, somethings can be done to let us perform the same things just like bootloader is unlocked.
For example, some dev in G2 and G3 have released a tool called "Bump!" before that can sign any third party image and let it able to be run on offical locked LG bootloader.
source: http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/orig-development/bump-sign-unlock-boot-images-lg-phones-t2935275
But of course, since LG have fixed the bug, we can no longer do the same tricks now.

abine45

Oct 16, 2016
Need help

In China, there is name ???he has lg tool, this tool can unpack repack kdz tot, add root in tot.
This is weibo id

Hey, So I've been working to be able to get root, so far I have added root to the system.img and that's all done, I need this tool to be able to repack. Can anyone, or you, contact him and get this tool? This would be so helpful for me to get root and release it!!!!

Reactions: ǀcey

ivangundampc

Sep 4, 2010
Hong Kong
Hey, So I've been working to be able to get root, so far I have added root to the system.img and that's all done, I need this tool to be able to repack. Can anyone, or you, contact him and get this tool? This would be so helpful for me to get root and release it!!!!
What version of Android you are going to add root? I wonder that you cannot simply add root in /system after Android 6.0.

Reactions: ǀcey

emdroidle

Oct 6, 2015
I think at this point what we really need is a small set of testers who have a good insurance policy on their phones and are willing to risk bricking their phones. We've got the outline of a method which looks viable, but the details haven't been worked out and is hence likely to produce a few bricks before we get it working.

alvinator94

Apr 7, 2011
Sorry for dropping of the face of the planet for the past two months. In testing with my device it ended up being FUBAR after wiping my aboot completely and with that the phone would not boot to anything but a black screen. I sent it into LG and after some time they finally just replaced my motherboard. But the absolute sad part is that they have me upgraded to 6.0 which absolutely is crushing my world. SO until further notice I will not be testing the unlocking of the bootloader anymore but I will make efforts here in a few weeks to start work on rooting the device. @alvisleet@gmail.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Cindy massey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good afternoon people of XDA,

Today is the dawn of a new day. A day where we begin the road to unlocking the bootloader to something that many believe is unlockable. Me and a few other users are starting a bounty to bring the incentive to life for all active developers. You can find my previous thread here. Now, when I say progress has been made, I mean that we have gotten into fastboot, we have donation incentives and we already have root so our tools are there we just have to find the exploit. Every day people are finding new exploits furthering our cause into reaching our goal. Now to the developers who want to pursue this, I've very much so tried to get active commands in fastboot but basically its just a dead fastboot for right now. The board on this phone and technologies behind it are so similar to its predecessors that somethings got to give. If you are interested in this cause, i.e. donating or deving on it, please contact me here, or email me at alvisleet@gmail.com

This is in our grasps friends. Spread the word, grab your fellow developers and lets get this thing to be a free wad of cash for whoever can bust it. Lets do this.
    Attached is the spreadsheet for the current donations.
    In China, there is name ???he has lg tool, this tool can unpack repack kdz tot, add root in tot.
    This is weibo id http://m.weibo.cn/u/1684239753

Need help

This is weibo id

What version of Android you are going to add root? I wonder that you cannot simply add root in /system after Android 6.0.